PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Saddled with healing... again.

Kallisto
2008-10-29, 10:33 AM
So I will start a new game soon and, since I was late in coming out with my concept, every role (skill monkey, arcanist, melee) has already been filled, except, as usual, for the giant band-aid. While I do not mind the role so much, I have been playing a cleric of Ilmater for over two years now. I'd very much like to try something else...

Now, I am having a hard time finding appropriate classes/prestige classes for the role, considering that 4 players out of 7 play melee types (the others are a beguiler and a wild rogue). Druids in this game aren't welcome and the DM doesn't allow the Tome of Magic or psions. Everything else is to be submitted to her. We start at level 4.

Any suggestions?

LibraryOgre
2008-10-29, 10:38 AM
Don't play healing, or play something for which healing is a secondary concern.

Play a bard, don't take CLW, but take a series of wands that will let you simulate it.

Play a rogue (different from the other skill-monkey) who likes to UMD.

Play a Crusader, which can heal... some.

Play a character with a max'd healing skill.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-29, 10:48 AM
play something else and let the DM NPC a heal-bot for the party. Any decent DM in the land will allow it if they see how bored you are of playing healer

only1doug
2008-10-29, 10:49 AM
Dragon Shaman

Aura: Vigor, Energy shield

use Vigor to heal your allies (only back to halfway but its continuous healing as long as aura is active) or Energy shield to cause anyone hitting your allies damage.

this gives you a buffer role and plenty of healing.

At L6 you can take double draconic aura and run both at once.

you get a breath weapon as well, take entangling breath feat and you can hold the enemy as well.

kamikasei
2008-10-29, 10:59 AM
You could try a cloistered cleric of a trickster deity with domains Magic, Trickery, and Knowledge, acting as a loremaster out of combat, a semi-arcane caster in combat, and a healer when necessary - but not in the middle of fights, usually. That might be sufficiently different in feel from a cleric of Ilmater...?

edit: Oh yeah, and getting the Healing domain with Domain Spontaneity may be a good idea too as letting you use all those situational-but-important healing spells without having to allot spell slots at the start of the day.

Telonius
2008-10-29, 11:02 AM
Cleric of St. Cuthbert. "Got hurt, did you? Well what did you expect, charging in like that! You got what you deserved." Get a Sap of Cure Light for added comedy.

If you do go Cleric, Zen Archery to synergize with your Wisdom.

Other class options: Bard (esp. with the Spontaneous Healer feat), Druid, Favored Soul, Archivist, Artificer (if the party is composed of Warforged), Spirit Shaman, Shugenja

Fishy
2008-10-29, 11:03 AM
There's always the Mantled Wilder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a), with the Life mantle. It doesn't leave you with a lot of spare Powers Known slots for things other than healing, but you have a character that heals by channeling the power of strong emotions.

This could be "zomg r u ok?! *hugz!*", obviously. But what if, in order to remove a wound, you also needed to psionically absorb the pain of your patient? What if you needed to channel the anger of the creature that caused it?

I personally am a huge fan healer characters with terrible, terrible bedside manner. Before you close up that axe wound, take a moment to examine your fighter's underlying muscle tissue. Or, as an experiment, let them fester and record what happens. The rest of the party trusts you, because they have to, because you keep them alive, but if the worst happened and they actually went to the revolving door in the sky, you'd probably dissect them rather than mourn them.

(LN Cloistered Cleric with the Healing and Pestilence domains?)

EDIT @v: Argh. I'll read the post one of these days, I swear.

kamikasei
2008-10-29, 11:09 AM
There's always the Mantled Wilder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a), with the Life mantle.

OP, are psionics prohibited, or just psions specifically?

AmberVael
2008-10-29, 11:13 AM
Well the obvious option is to play a Healer.
I have absolutely no idea why no one has suggested that. :smalltongue:

Alternately, you could go with a Dread Necromancer! Why bother healing your companions when you can just bring them back as undead? Even better- after they're undead, you could give them unlimited healing with your negative energy touch. :smallwink:

More seriously...
You don't have many options, unfortunately. I would agree with Pancake, really- if you're not interested in playing a cleric, or something similar to it, you should see about not conforming to the standard party "slots."

potatocubed
2008-10-29, 11:17 AM
You know, I've always wanted to play a favoured soul with no healing spells.

I think it would be good for a laugh.

TakeV
2008-10-29, 11:17 AM
Alternately, you could go with a Dread Necromancer! Why bother healing your companions when you can just bring them back as undead? Even better- after they're undead, you could give them unlimited healing with your negative energy touch. :smallwink:

I love this idea.

In our last game, the favored soul didn't take any healing except for lesser vigor. It wasn't fun.

Well, actually, it wasn't fun because the GM was a grappling fan and we weren't sure what the plot was, but I'm sure that no healing contributed to the non-fun. :P
He did eventually get radiant servant of palor, though. >_>

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-29, 11:18 AM
Really, healing can be done by anyone with either use magic device or lesser vigor on their spell list. Get a wand of lesser vigor; at CL 1 each charge is 11 HP over about two minutes. This leaves you open to do pretty much whatever you want mid-combat. Go buff-bot and focus on preventing damage or enabling allies to better smite your foes if you want--that typically does more for you than healing anyway.

If you're worried about burst healing, and you're up for playing a goody-good type, see if you can get your DM to approve OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=761045)--it includes a far larger lay-on-hands pool, and as it levels it grants lay-on-hands extra functions. This lets you play a badass in melee if you want (though it looks like that particular nich is well-covered already), have burst healing ready in case someone gets knocked out, and covers all the basic things your cleric would normally carry scrolls for or wait until the next morning to cast. Carry a wand and you can conserve your lay on hands outside of combat.

OverdrivePrime
2008-10-29, 11:23 AM
Try a ranger. Your group doesn't have a ranged combatant (except for the arcanist, sort of), and rangers can be hellishly useful, in addition to complimenting the wilderness rogue. Get a wand of cure light to patch up your allies in a pinch, and maybe cross-class to Scout 4 as the character gets more experienced.

Alternatively, I'll second the vote for Spirit Shaman. That's a fun, fun class, particularly if you can talk your DM into houseruling away the dual-casting attribute dependency.

Fishy
2008-10-29, 11:24 AM
Also, there's Combat Medic from Heroes of Battle, and Imbued Healing from Complete Champion: slap a healing spell on people and get a bunch of random effects for free?

Ascension
2008-10-29, 11:25 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I can't remember all the specifics of Dread Necro off the top of my head, but see if you can get the DM to let you raise the rest of the party as intelligent undead, so their players can keep playing them and they can keep taking class levels.

Ethdred
2008-10-29, 11:41 AM
Totally agree with the idea of player a character who can use (or UMD) wands of curing but doesn't have the spells. Also, for added 'don't ever do this to me again' factor, charge the party for healing. Either by making them all contribute an equal share of the cost of the wands or by making them pay for each individual charge used. Including having paid in advance if they want to be healed up from <0HP.

Darrin
2008-10-29, 11:52 AM
Any suggestions?

Play a bard. Scratch out "Bard" on your character sheet and write down "Cleric" over it (including the quote marks). Max out Bluff, then buy yourself some religulous-looking robes and one of those funny hats (masterwork, of course, so you get the +2 circumstance bonus on your Bluff roll). When the idiot meatshields cry out for healing, your character pokes them with his finger and dramatically intones, "I have healed thee! Go forth and smite thine enemies!"

When the other PCs try to claim you haven't healed them, or only used a Cure Light for what should have been a Cure Serious/Restoration/Heal, look them in the eye and say, "Roll for Sense Motive. I rolled a 38 on my Bluff. Oh, sorry... I guess Sense Motive isn't on your class list, is it?" Use Prestidigitation, Silent Image, and Minor Image to duplicate various cleric spells. Offer to sell them cheap healing potions at a discount ("This may taste a little like vinegar, helps increase the shelf life... oh, and a dash of pig urine, helps aid quick digestion"). If confronted and accused of chicancery, get very indignant and insist that perhaps your divine spells didn't work because your accusers have fallen into divine disfavor (another Bluff check), and hey atonement spells aren't cheap you know, but you might be able to offer a slight discount.

And if someone charges into battle thinking they have full hit points but wound up dead instead... well, he certainly won't be needing all these coins in his pockets anymore, will he?

Telonius
2008-10-29, 11:59 AM
Play a bard. Scratch out "Bard" on your character sheet and write down "Cleric" over it (including the quote marks). Max out Bluff, then buy yourself some religulous-looking robes and one of those funny hats (masterwork, of course, so you get the +2 circumstance bonus on your Bluff roll). When the idiot meatshields cry out for healing, your character pokes them with his finger and dramatically intones, "I have healed thee! Go forth and smite thine enemies!"

When the other PCs try to claim you haven't healed them, or only used a Cure Light for what should have been a Cure Serious/Restoration/Heal, look them in the eye and say, "Roll for Sense Motive. I rolled a 38 on my Bluff. Oh, sorry... I guess Sense Motive isn't on your class list, is it?" Use Prestidigitation, Silent Image, and Minor Image to duplicate various cleric spells. Offer to sell them cheap healing potions at a discount ("This may taste a little like vinegar, helps increase the shelf life... oh, and a dash of pig urine, helps aid quick digestion"). If confronted and accused of chicancery, get very indignant and insist that perhaps your divine spells didn't work because your accusers have fallen into divine disfavor (another Bluff check), and hey atonement spells aren't cheap you know, but you might be able to offer a slight discount.

And if someone charges into battle thinking they have full hit points but wound up dead instead... well, he certainly won't be needing all these coins in his pockets anymore, will he?

One level of Master of Masks (High Priest mask) would round out this idea wonderfully.

Starsinger
2008-10-29, 12:31 PM
If confronted and accused of chicancery, get very indignant and insist that perhaps your divine spells didn't work because your accusers have fallen into divine disfavor (another Bluff check), and hey atonement spells aren't cheap you know, but you might be able to offer a slight discount.

You should pull an Emperor's New Clothes here and say that your healing spells only work on those who really believe. Obviously the heretical idiots don't believe and so aren't being healed, not your problem.

Chymist
2008-10-29, 12:37 PM
I know it's been mentioned already, but I would suggest talking to your DM about this. In the game I am running, the cleric player made it clear that she wanted to play a character, not be the healer, so I made an NPC potion-brewer who tagged along and helped heal people when they needed it (plus, making them use their own turns for most potions is pretty fair if they are the ones charging into combat, instead of letting them continue to play stupidly, and making someone else take care of them)

mabriss lethe
2008-10-29, 12:44 PM
or if you get stuck playing a cleric, don't play a heal-bot. Go for a rebuke cleric instead. sure, prepare a few clws..just in case, but slowly amass a horde of disposable undead to fling at your foes. (who needs to be healed when the shambling mass of reanimated flesh is taking all those hits for you?)

Vortling
2008-10-29, 12:54 PM
So I will start a new game soon and, since I was late in coming out with my concept, every role (skill monkey, arcanist, melee) has already been filled, except, as usual, for the giant band-aid. While I do not mind the role so much, I have been playing a cleric of Ilmater for over two years now. I'd very much like to try something else...

Now, I am having a hard time finding appropriate classes/prestige classes for the role, considering that 4 players out of 7 play melee types (the others are a beguiler and a wild rogue). Druids in this game aren't welcome and the DM doesn't allow the Tome of Magic or psions. Everything else is to be submitted to her. We start at level 4.

Any suggestions?

Play whatever class your concept suggests and buy yourself a belt of healing. Let your DM and the other players know that you won't be playing the healbot. If they really want a cleric, nicely suggest that they could certainly play one if they feel that a cleric is needed. You really shouldn't feel obligated to play a healbot if you don't want to, especially since it looks like there's plenty of other players who don't feel obligated to play that roll.

Nohwl
2008-10-29, 01:08 PM
archivist is fun.

Keld Denar
2008-10-29, 01:08 PM
Alternatively, play a Batman style BC/Buff cleric. I played this type of character up to level 12, and had a heck of a good time. My build was Cleric6/RSoP5/SE1. Domains were Good, Sun, and Purification. Typical buff routine to start combat was a Quickened Recitation (via Lesser Rod and the fact that Recitation is a Purification3 spell), followed by a Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. Take buffs like that, and some save/lose debuffs like Holy Smite, and some BC like Wall of Stone, and you can be a very effective contributer in combat. Granted, my character was usually packin a Heal spell for emergency in combat healing, but the only other healing spell he ever memorized was Lesser Vigor, in one slot. The, using his Craft Wonderous Feat, he made something like 2 handfuls of Pearl of Power 1s, and would just cast the same Lesser Vigor over and over for OOC healing. That left almost all of his other spell slots free for utility and buff spells. I was fond of taking Stone Shape, a great spell for getting into what you aren't supposed to. Big iron door in your way? SS the rock around the door to free the hinges, and you can even take the door with you as loot! The possiblilities are endless. That way, you can focus more one Buffs, Counterspelling, BC, and removing status effects than actual healing.

Oh, and don't neglect turning either. My cleric dropped a bit of cash for double Sacred armor upgrades (A&EG), crafted a Phylactery of Undead Turning, and bought an Ephod of Authority. This combined pumped his turn level up to 9 above his level before rolling, with 13 above level maximum. Memorize the spell Turn Anathema (CChamp). You can cast it quickened via a Lesser Rod of Quicken, and turn in the same round. This allows your cleric to absolutely DOMINATE any encounter that includes undead or evil outsiders, some of the nastiest foes you'll encounter on any given day. You can also use your turning focus to power Divine Spell Power, a feat from CDivine that can allow you to spike your CL, which is nice for buffing and dispelling.

Character will play similar to a bard, but different enough to make it fun. And you can still cover the role that your party wants you to. Don't think of it as a burden, think of it in a fun new way.

Lemur
2008-10-29, 01:16 PM
I'll echo the voices that say to play whatever you feel like, rather than feeling like you need to fill a specific party role. A nonstandard party just makes things more interesting.

But if you really think that the party needs healing, my suggestion is to play a tomb-tainted (or necropolitan) swordsage and take a one-level dip in Shadow Sun ninja at level 6. That should provide a significantly different character, with options for health recovery in between combat.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-29, 01:46 PM
Play whatever you want(I love the Bard idea). If they really want healing, have one of them with a spare feat take Leadership and grab a Healer cohort.

Triaxx
2008-10-29, 02:33 PM
Get the DM to give you an item that lets you apply fast healing to multiple targets, or if a caster, a spell that lets you apply Fast Healing x= spell level to all targets.

Now you can mash the enemies and your allies will recover on their own.

its_all_ogre
2008-10-29, 02:44 PM
don't play a healer if you don't want to.
might sound harsh, but with no healer either an ic solution will be found, hiring one for example, or someone will die and realise a healer is useful.

JaxGaret
2008-10-29, 02:48 PM
My advice is to play a Crusader or Dragon Shaman. That way you can fight and heal at the same time.

Draz74
2008-10-29, 03:01 PM
A one-level Dragon Shaman dip can make any character into a mediocre healer. So play whatever you want, with the dip? For bonus points, make a jack-of-all-trades character who has some healing, with the dip to make the healing better. (Jack-of-all-trades class ideas, besides Bard, include Binder, Factotum, Incarnate, or Chameleon.)

Your DM probably doesn't allow psionics in general, right? Because I can't imagine allowing Clerics, allowing Psionics, and banning Psions. But on the off-chance that it's just the Psion that's banned, an Ardent can make an entertaining healer. I can give you more build specifics if you're interested.

If Tome of Battle happens to be allowed, others' suggestions of Crusader are a pretty good idea. You can still feel like you're playing the melee tank role rather than the healer role, but you'll happen to do a lot of healing anyway. If ToB isn't allowed, you can mimic this idea with the Divine Spirit Paladin variant, which gives up its Special Mount in favor of a spirit that follows it around healing people.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-29, 03:51 PM
You could make an Archivist of Zarus (RoD), play him as a Batman, and don't learn any healing spells other than Faith Healing (SC) and get a few Wands of that.

Dread Necromancer (HoH) is a superb suggestion, take the feat Tomb-Tainted Soul (LM) so you can heal yourself with your negative energy touch/spells, or make a Necropolitan (LM) for the same effect. Get Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) if possible, take Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) to get access to the next level of spells, pick up Frightful Presence (DCN) at 6, and get a Ghostly Visage (FF) as your familiar and have it always possessing you. Your opponents will have to make two saves vs fear or be Shaken/Frightened, your Familiar can use its Paralyzing gaze at will (actively focusing it on anyone who saves). Chances are, you won't even need anyone to do any healing. For your Advanced Learning at 12th get Animate Dread Warrior (UE), which you can use on any enemy Clerics you've encountered to turn them into a healbot just in case.

wadledo
2008-10-29, 04:01 PM
*snip*

My next game?
I am sooooo playing this.:smallbiggrin:

goram.browncoat
2008-10-29, 05:31 PM
If ToB is allowed:
Cleric/Warblade into Ruby knight vindicator prestige class

Can heal a bit
Can melee
Can take white raven manouvers which are _awesome_ in a melee heavy party.

But in the end, play whatever the hell you want. Dont wanna be a healer or even have the slightest thing to do with healing? Good, dont. Ive been in many parties without a dedicated healer, it usually works out fine.

Out of combat healing happens with wands, usually at least somebody can use healing wands (if not a caster then an UMD skillmonkey).
In combat healing is usually vastly inferior to killing things quicker anyway.

aaron_the_cow
2008-10-29, 08:12 PM
In the 1st/2nd editon game that I play, clerics of Hades have to charge for all benifical spells, how could that not be fun?

Kallisto
2008-10-29, 08:28 PM
Wow! You guys have been tremendously helpful. Thank you so much for all your wonderful ideas! Believe it or not, this is not the first time I choose a character class that has healing in favor of party balance. I am currently trying out a spirit shaman and I've played other clerics in games that have never really lifted up.

This is the first time that I see so many other viable options. Thank you all for your input :)

Darrin, you win for your crazy bluffing bard with religious robes :D That made me laugh.

Rei_Jin
2008-10-29, 08:34 PM
Spirit Shaman for the win.

He casts from the druid list, and his spells are granted to him by a figment of his imagination.

A lot of fun, and your own party will be loathe to ask you to do anything, as long as you play up the crazy aspect sufficiently.

Thurbane
2008-10-29, 08:37 PM
Dragon Shaman

Aura: Vigor, Energy shield

use Vigor to heal your allies (only back to halfway but its continuous healing as long as aura is active) or Energy shield to cause anyone hitting your allies damage.

this gives you a buffer role and plenty of healing.

At L6 you can take double draconic aura and run both at once.

you get a breath weapon as well, take entangling breath feat and you can hold the enemy as well.
This is what I'm doing at the moment - my new party has a druid and me (Copper Dragon Shaman) as the only healers, so I snagged myself an 18 Cha, Amulet of Retributive Healing and Caduceus Bracers (which I'll sell once they become redundant at 11th level).

Throw some Healing Belts into the mix and you're golden. If your skill monkey has UMD, invest in some wands of CLW or Lesser Vigor. :smallbiggrin:

Leon
2008-10-29, 09:44 PM
archivist is fun.

I second that
Our large group has a Cleric and a Archivist to see to the Healing needs and quite often some members of the group need reminding that my Archivist is not a healer, i can cast healing spells but thats it
I only ever have a couple of Close Wounds prepared and the rest are dropped from my other spells via Spont healer, tough luck if I've used those spells to buff already.

sleepy
2008-10-29, 09:45 PM

Better yet, take only Faith Healing and worship someone obscure.

Healing spell NOT FOR YOU, INFIDEL!

only1doug
2008-10-30, 05:19 AM
This is what I'm doing at the moment - my new party has a druid and me (Copper Dragon Shaman) as the only healers, so I snagged myself an 18 Cha, Amulet of Retributive Healing and Caduceus Bracers (which I'll sell once they become redundant at 11th level).

Throw some Healing Belts into the mix and you're golden. If your skill monkey has UMD, invest in some wands of CLW or Lesser Vigor. :smallbiggrin:

I started out our current DnD game as Dragon shaman (Brass), i was really enjoying it we played from L1 but when we hit about L6 i dropped out of the game for a while

I was playing 3x / week: tuesdays - WFRP (new version), Thursdays WFRP (old version), Sundays DnD.
I started dating my (now) Fiancee (who i met at the tuesday WFRP game) and dropped out of the sundays game to spend more time with her. After a while I rejoined the sunday DnD sessions irregularly then needed to commit to playing regularly (after I scared off another player).

I got my Fiancee to join the thursday game but she avoids the DnD on sundays (says she wants me to have some time with friends without her around).

and when i rejoined the game my Dragon shaman was petrified, which he still is to this day.

So i made myself a (dragonwrought) kobold sorcerer and flew around breathing fire on things until he died at L13.
now playing a gish.

I'd kinda like to play the dragonshaman but no-one wants to un-petrify him and my current character doesn't even know that the statue exists.

The only survivng member of the original party wants to retire his druid and play something else, again with healing but not too much.
i've generated a pixie spirit shaman/combat medic (http://charactersheet.net/view.php?id=359) which he is currently considering but i might just direct him to this thread for other ideas.

kamikasei
2008-10-30, 05:26 AM
A one-level Dragon Shaman dip can make any character into a mediocre healer.

Isn't there a feat, or combination of feats, that can give you a Dragon Shaman aura? That might be an extremely handy option.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-30, 05:29 AM
One often-overlooked fact is that there are 2 separate and equally important types of healing. The first is HP-healing, which can be handled by anyone with a Wand of CLW or similar. The other is morning-after spells, which are pretty much forced to be the domain of a Cleric or Druid, because on one would ever take Remove Blindness at all unless they knew they would need it.

littlechicory
2008-10-30, 09:34 AM
Seconding the people who say max UMD and get a Wand of Cure Light. Or you can dip a class with CLW on the spell list and then use a Wand of Cure Light with impunity (my Scout/Warmage/Dragon Disciple is dipping Bard for that exact reason; we need no cleric!).

If you feel obliged to play as a cleric, play with one of the more battle-heavy gods. The cleric for our Forgotten Realms campaign (I'm guessing since you mentioned Ilmater, who was my FR monk's patron) belonged to Helm, domains of Protection and War (I think), and just converted to Cure and Revify when necessary.

only1doug
2008-10-30, 09:42 AM
Isn't there a feat, or combination of feats, that can give you a Dragon Shaman aura? That might be an extremely handy option.

Darconic aura: Requires dragonblood subtype (available via feat).

Negative side: the list of aura's available by this feat is more restricted than those available to dragon shaman (don't remember offhand sorry).

Plus side: scales by character level so more effective than a single level dip into Dragon Shaman in the long run. (although 1 level of DS gives 3 auras to switch around)

Telok
2008-10-30, 09:57 AM
A couple of cuties I've worked up in my spare time.

1) Domain Spontaneity alternate class feature. Necromancy domain. Feats, Heighten Spell, Divine Metamagic: Heighten, Extra Turning x5. You can start the game with a save DC of 21 to 23 when you need it.

2) Dwarf cleric, Con 20, Wis 16, dwarven racial substitution (Races of Stone) after level 1 (you need turn attempts for this). Feats, Augment Healing, Sacred Healing, Extra Turning, Improved Toughness. Increase Con at 4 and 8, get the biggest Amulet of Health you can bully or bribe the party into buying for you. With good armor and a Defending weapon you become really hard to kill and your Cure spells are much improved by the first two feats. By focusing on this you can prepare less healing and take fun domains like Death and Cold.

mostlyharmful
2008-10-30, 11:58 AM
Take a Druid and play as you damn well want. It's got the morning after stuff so no-one needs to waste party space or time on anouther PC or NPC and if they want hp healing you can use party bought wands of Vigor. Just make sure the cost is shared equally, if they don't like it you can point out that your summons and battlefield control is actually more potent and a better use of your time. It's ok to think of team makeup and roles, just not to sacrifice all your own choice to a boring concept.

BardicDuelist
2008-10-30, 12:26 PM
Take a Druid and play as you damn well want. It's got the morning after stuff so no-one needs to waste party space or time on anouther PC or NPC and if they want hp healing you can use party bought wands of Vigor. Just make sure the cost is shared equally, if they don't like it you can point out that your summons and battlefield control is actually more potent and a better use of your time. It's ok to think of team makeup and roles, just not to sacrifice all your own choice to a boring concept.

"Druids aren't welcome" in the OP.

Thurbane
2008-10-30, 07:29 PM
Another idea is a 1 level dip into Cleric, and then get the Sacred Healing and Sacred Purification feats, allowing you to heal all creatures within 60 feet for 1d8+CHA each time you use a turning attempt. Throw in Extra Turning for another 4 bursts. Pretty feat intensive, though...but it will allow you to use CLW/LV wands with no UMD required.