PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Build Question

Gorbash
2008-10-29, 10:42 AM
Here's my first cleric ever, in an upcoming Age of Worms AP, so since my knowledge of clerics is based on numerous posts around this forum and my own humble research, I'd just like to ask you people who are more experienced with clerics, is this one ok, did I miss a feat or smth like that. So here he is, Gors Rokha, Half-Orc Cleric of Hextor.

STR 20
DEX 12
CON 18
INT 13
WIS 17
CHA 12

Yes, I know, my rolls are insane, I couldn't believe it either. Reason I put 18 on CON is that I think HP is more important before lvl 4 (when I'll put +1 in Wis), since 18 wis would only grant me a bonus spell of 4th lvl, and a +1 on DCs, but since I'll be melee-oriented cleric, I won't bother that much with save-or-___ spells at this point.

Domains: War, Law
Feats: Power Attack, Law Devotion

My build will be Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 5/Bone Knight 10/Cleric 1.

1. Power Attack
3. Quicken Spell
6. Divine Metamagic (Quicken Spell)
9. Holy Warrior
12. Extra Turning
15. Awesome Smite
18. Knowledge Devotion?

Arms: Armbands of Might (MIC 72)
Face: Corsair's Eyepatch (MIC 90), Crystal Mask of Knowledge (MIC 91)
Head: Phylactery of Undead Turning +4 (DMG 265), Circlet of Persuasion (DMG 253)
Torso: Ephod of Authority +1 (MIC 215)
Waist: Belt of Giant Strength (DMG 248)
Feet: Anklet of Translocation (MIC 71)
Hands: Gauntlets of Ogre Power (DMG 258), Gauntlets of War (CC 140)
Rings: Ring of Greater Counterspells (MIC 124), Ring of Spell-battle (MIC 127)
Back: Cloak of Charisma (DMG 254)
Neck: Periapt of Wisdom (DMG 263), Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC 120)
Held: Talisman of Undeath Mastery (MIC 188), Radiant Sphere (MIC 172), Nightstick (LM), Scepter of the Netherworld +3 (MIC 183)

So, any more suggestions for feats? I don't want to focus myself only on combat, and suck everywhere else, are there any general purpose feats that are good for a cleric?

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-29, 11:30 AM
What book is Bone Knight from? I don't recognize it.

I don't have my copy of CChamp right now, but doesn't Ordained Champion lose caster levels? For a cleric, that's typically unacceptable. I don't recall the class terribly well, but I don't remember it being anything worth writing home about.

How permissive is your DM regarding cheese? Typically, divine metamagic + nightsticks is regarded as cheese of a most unacceptable level. I recommend you ask your DM about that before you start the game.

I'm not certain a cloak of resistance wouldn't serve you better than a cloak of charisma. All the latter gets you is some more turns per day and a bit of a boost on certain skill checks. Saves are important.

I don't recognize most of those items off the top of my head; I'd have to have access to my MIC to say anything about those.l

Last I checked, you don't actually need the metamagic feat to take divine metamagic. I might be wrong about that, though; if someone else has their books handy listen to them. Either way, that frees up a feat slot for quicken spell.

Awesome smite seems like a poor choice for a cleric--where are you getting your smites from? I know Ordained Champion gives a few. Does Bone Knight have a smite progression? If so, you might consider extra smiting--last I checked, it applies to all of your smite types, so it would net you four extra smites per day--two from Ordained Champion and two from Bone Knight.

As for out of combat use... For clerics, that's mostly determined by their spells. You could have some useful knowledge skills to contribute out of combat, but I don't know of any feats that would serve you terribly well for out of combat situations.

AmberVael
2008-10-29, 12:04 PM

I don't have my copy of CChamp right now, but doesn't Ordained Champion lose caster levels? For a cleric, that's typically unacceptable. I don't recall the class terribly well, but I don't remember it being anything worth writing home about.
Having played an Ordained Champion myself, I have to say that the class is totally worth it, even with lost caster levels.
Some of the abilities are really handy for a melee/buff cleric.

How permissive is your DM regarding cheese? Typically, divine metamagic + nightsticks is regarded as cheese of a most unacceptable level. I recommend you ask your DM about that before you start the game.
3+1cha+4extra+4nightstick = 12.
That gives two quickens per day. Two (or three if it a +6 cloak of charisma).
Not very cheesy.

I'm not certain a cloak of resistance wouldn't serve you better than a cloak of charisma. All the latter gets you is some more turns per day and a bit of a boost on certain skill checks. Saves are important.
Agreed on this.

Last I checked, you don't actually need the metamagic feat to take divine metamagic. I might be wrong about that, though; if someone else has their books handy listen to them. Either way, that frees up a feat slot for quicken spell.
It was errata'd requirement.

Gorbash
2008-10-29, 02:02 PM

It's from Eberron, Five Nations.

As Vael said, OC is a really really strong melee cleric class, since at some point I get to spontaneously cast War domain spells. As a swift action. Combine that with DMM (quicken), it would offset the loss of CL, at least a bit.

Well, perhaps if I had cha 18, cloak of charisma, etc etc... This barely lets me quicken it 2 times. It's basically the same if I took sudden quicken feat two times.

Once I hit lvl 5, I'll be able to cast Greater Resistance (+3 bonus on saves, 24h duration), and before that I'm not even sure I'd had the gold to spend on cloak of cha, so I think this is a better option.

I don't recognize most of those items off the top of my head; I'd have to have access to my MIC to say anything about those.l

Awesome smite seems like a poor choice for a cleric--where are you getting your smites from? I know Ordained Champion gives a few. Does Bone Knight have a smite progression? If so, you might consider extra smiting--last I checked, it applies to all of your smite types, so it would net you four extra smites per day--two from Ordained Champion and two from Bone Knight.

Ordained Champion gets Smite which expends one use of turn/rebuke. So, when I'm not quickening spells, I can smite a few times a day.

As for out of combat use... For clerics, that's mostly determined by their spells. You could have some useful knowledge skills to contribute out of combat, but I don't know of any feats that would serve you terribly well for out of combat situations.

Then I guess melee feats are the only ones. Some ideas on that one?

Lemur
2008-10-29, 02:34 PM
I have a question about what level at which you're starting. You mention that you've allocated your stats for starting at low levels, but you have a lot of magic equipment listed. Is that stuff you expect to gain as the campaign goes on, or does your game let you have that stuff right off the bat?

The reason I ask is to make sure you know that you'll need that cloak of charisma by the time you take Divine Metamagic, if you want to be able to use it at all without Extra Turning.

Ganurath
2008-10-29, 02:56 PM
Forget Quicken Spell. You'd only really benefit from Quicken Spam at the later levels (9+,) and by then you'll be able to spontaneously cast off the War Domain as a swift action with zero feat investment.

I'd suggest Extend Spell to bolster your buffs, but if you want to make a really aggressive build that isn't ridiculously cheesy, may I suggest that you invest in Barbs of Hextor? Combine those with the Evil and Law domains, and any summons you may call upon and/or alignment-based smiting you dispense will be substantially bolstered for the light investment.

Gorbash
2008-10-29, 03:32 PM
I have a question about what level at which you're starting. You mention that you've allocated your stats for starting at low levels, but you have a lot of magic equipment listed. Is that stuff you expect to gain as the campaign goes on, or does your game let you have that stuff right off the bat?

The reason I ask is to make sure you know that you'll need that cloak of charisma by the time you take Divine Metamagic, if you want to be able to use it at all without Extra Turning.

Oh sorry, I was under the impression that everyone knows about Paizo's Adventure Paths, which range from lvls 1-20. So yeah, that's just a list of equipment I intend to get, we begin at first lvl. I'm lucky I have medium armor at this point. :smallbiggrin:

Forget Quicken Spell. You'd only really benefit from Quicken Spam at the later levels (9+,) and by then you'll be able to spontaneously cast off the War Domain as a swift action with zero feat investment.

Well yeah, but just War domain stuff... It'd sure be nice not to have to spend actions in combat on buffing myself. Sure, I'll use it to cast Divine Power, but Magic Vestments has hour/lvl duration, magic weapon becomes obsolete when you get Greater Magic Weapon etc.

What's Barbs of Hextor? I don't think I'll be summoning anything, but this smiting sounds intresting.