PDA

View Full Version : Stingmoggie [creature from MtG]

Baron Corm
2008-10-29, 11:19 AM
http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/MOR/EN/Card152704.jpg

As you walk down the path, you see a large creature hanging down from a branch with its tails. You wisely go back the other way, remembering the old adage, "A path vexed by the stingmoggie was probably the wrong path anyhow."

Stingmoggie
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 12d8+24 (78 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20 feet (4 squares), climb 40 feet
Armor Class: 17, touch 14, flat-footed 12 (-1 size, +5 dex, +3 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+18
Attack: Sting +17 melee (1d12+2 plus poison)
Full Attack: 2 stings +17 melee (1d12+2 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Chaos visage, poison
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/lawful, darkvision 60 feet, regeneration 2, muggy mind, true seeing and tongues
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +10
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 21, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +17, 5 more
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Steadfast Determination, 3 more
Enviroment: The wrong path
Organization: Solitary
Challange Rating: 9
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

The stingmoggie is a creature that rather befuddles Mother Nature, and so is sort of pushed off into corners of places and ignored. It supposedly comes from planes of chaos, but is only ever found on the Material. It has the body of a salamander, the head of a wolf, and two tails resembling those of a scorpion, complete with stingers.

Because stingmoggies are never in a place where any normal being would want to be, seeing one is a good sign that you are not on the path you wanted to be on. As payment for this useful service, a stingmoggie will not let you return whence you came unless you listen to it babble on about nonsensical things. Of course, the stingmoggie will never stop, but when you try to leave, it will attack with its stingers. A few poor woodland creatures, unable to speak, fall prey to this very quickly, and so many of them fear stingmoggies.

Stingmoggies speak all languages, thanks to their constant tongues effect.

Combat

The stingmoggie, being a creature of chaos, and utterly unintelligent, will first engage in vexing conversation, and when the creature begins to leave, attack with its stings.

Chaos Visage (Su)

Those who gaze upon the stingmoggie must make a Will save (DC 14, Charisma-based) or gain 1d3 negative levels. If this happens, the stingmoggie also gains 1d3 negative levels. All of these negative levels disappear in 2d3 rounds. However, creatures who continue to gaze upon the stingmoggie must continue to make saves (possibly having more than one instance of 1d3 negative levels).

The stingmoggie cannot be killed from this effect, or other energy drain effects. It is rendered "dead" when brought to 0 levels, but its levels return in full 24 hours later.

Poison (Su)

Injury, Fortitude DC 18. The save DC is Constitution-based. Those who take initial damage are compelled to say "Sting" at least once per round, while those who take secondary damage are compelled to say "Moggie" at least once per round. Taking either damage gives spells with verbal components a 50% chance of failure, while taking both damages gives spells with verbal components a 100% chance of failure. Once the saves are failed, the effects can only be removed by a break enchantment spell or a spell of greater power, and only after the poison is cured.

Muggy Mind (Ex)

A glimpse into the stingmoggie's mind leaves one feeling... confused. Nothing can be discerned, let alone rearranged. The stingmoggie is immune to mind-affecting effects, and any creatures who try to place one upon him take 1d3 points of Wisdom damage. The stingmoggie is also immune to ability damage or drain to his Intelligence, Charisma, and Wisdom scores.

True Seeing and Tongues (Su)

Stingmoggies have constant true seeing and tongues effects, as the spells, caster level 12.

Regeneration (Su)

A stingmoggie takes lethal damage from law-aligned effects. However, once brought to 0 hp or below, the stingmoggie does not regain any health from this ability for 24 hours. A stingmoggie brought to 0 hp or below is thus considered defeated for the purposes of XP gain.

Stingmoggies are immune to effects which would completely destroy their bodies.

DracoDei
2008-10-29, 03:57 PM
Italized description at the top is made to be read, usually verbatum, by the GM upon encountering the creature. As such it should assume nothing about the actions of the players, the creatures awareness of them, or surroundings (other than MAYBE what can be 99% sure to be true given the environment it inhabits... such as sand melting beneath the feet of a [fire] type desert dwelling creature or some such). Hard to do right, but worth it.

Why no bite attack? Not a problem, but I am curious.

For the poison, the way it is worded makes it seem like for the secondary effect you assume they failed their save for the primary effect.

Chaos Gaze you don't say WHAT they have to continue to do to keep losing levels... grammatical error since you almost certainly mean continuing to look at it.

sigurd
2008-10-29, 05:57 PM
Nice beastie. Sounds a lot like a Fey creature though, maybe a fey haunt.

Sigurd

Baron Corm
2008-10-29, 06:59 PM
Italized description at the top is made to be read, usually verbatum, by the GM upon encountering the creature. As such it should assume nothing about the actions of the players, the creatures awareness of them, or surroundings (other than MAYBE what can be 99% sure to be true given the environment it inhabits... such as sand melting beneath the feet of a [fire] type desert dwelling creature or some such). Hard to do right, but worth it.

You've told me that before... maybe next time I'll try it and see how I like it :smallsmile:

Why no bite attack? Not a problem, but I am curious.

The head is wolf-like, but either the teeth are not sharp enough, or the mouth is not maneuverable enough, for the stingmoggie to use his bite as a weapon. Same with the claws. I thought 2 claws and a bite would bring the CR up so I just left it as stings, which should be the main focus of the creature anyway since he has "sting" in his name.

For the poison, the way it is worded makes it seem like for the secondary effect you assume they failed their save for the primary effect.

Chaos Gaze you don't say WHAT they have to continue to do to keep losing levels... grammatical error since you almost certainly mean continuing to look at it.

Will fix. Thanks for fixes.

Nice beastie. Sounds a lot like a Fey creature though, maybe a fey haunt.

In Magic it's an elemental. I figured this would translate to either outsider (ala 4e) or elemental, and I chose outsider. Otherwise, yeah it could be a fey, or even a magical beast.