PDA

View Full Version : PvP Gestalt Centaur

Lyndworm
2008-10-30, 06:48 AM
OK, I'll be playing in a PvP arena with this character. The idea is to use mobility to run circles around bewildered opponents while unloading arrows.

Stats are 16, 16, 16, 15, 11, 10. If we can't make something good out of that, then we also have the option of 32-point buy.

I'm thinking 16 Str, 16 Con, 16 Dex, 11 Wis, 15 Int, 10 Cha. With a centaur's adjustments, that's 24 Str, 20 Con, 20 Dex, 13 Wis, 13 Int, 10 Cha. I'd put all four stat points from leveling up into Dex. I also get 200,000GP for gear and such.

My build so far is full fighter/scout. With the centaur's HD and LA, I only have enough space for twelve class levels, but I think it'll be enough. I'm thinking of taking the Aggressive trait, trading 1 point of AC for +2 Initiative. That's probably overkill, though. Perhaps the Quick trait, trading 1hp gained at each level for +10ft movement (this would be 80ft after scout bonuses). I'm also considering the Inattentive flaw, taking a -4 penalty to Listen and Spot in exchange for a feat. I already have three open feats, though...

Build
LA 1 | LA 2
HD 1 | HD 2 (Blank|L1)
HD 3 | HD 4
Fighter 1 | Scout 1 (Exotic WP|F1, E-Dodge|L3)
Fighter 2 | Scout 2 (W-Focus|F2)
Fighter 3 | Scout 3
Fighter 4 | Scout 4 (W-Specialization|F4, I-Initiative|S4, Mobility|L6)
Fighter 5 | Scout 5
Fighter 6 | Scout 6 (Point Blank Shot|F6)
Fighter 7 | Scout 7 (Blank|L9)
Fighter 8 | Scout 8 (GW-Focus|F8, Improved Skirmish|S8)
Fighter 9 | Scout 9
Fighter 10 | Scout 10 (Shot on the Run|F10, Blank|L12)
Fighter 11 | Scout 11
Fighter 12 | Scout 12 (GW-Specialization|F12, Danger Sense|S12)

Feats
Level One - None
Fighter One - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
Level Three - Expeditious Dodge
Fighter Two - Weapon Focus (Longbow/Greatbow)
Fighter Four - Weapon Specialization (Longbow/Greatbow)
Scout Four - Improved Initiative
Level Six - Mobility
Fighter Six - Point Blank Shot
Level Nine - None, perhaps Rapid Shot
Fighter Eight - Greater Weapon Focus (Longbow/Greatbow)
Scout Eight - Improved Skirmish
Fighter Ten - Shot on the Run
Level Twelve - None, perhaps Manyshot
Fighter Twelve - Greater Weapon Specialization (Longbow/Greatbow)
Scout Twelve - Danger Sense

I've been considering ditching the twelfth level of Scout for a dip. I'd just push Danger Sense back to level 12 and lose the bonus feat. Could be worth it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nothing is set in stone, yet, so all ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Books
Books allowed are Complete Aventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Warrior, Races of Destiny, Races of the Dragon, Races of Stone, Races of the Wild, Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack, Tome of Battle, and Magic Item Compendium in addition to the SRD. I have access to all of these, as well.

Zack

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-30, 06:54 AM
Take Hulking Hurler (CW) and kill every opponent in one hit.

You'll get destroyed by a Maximized Shivering Touch. If you want to play an archer, get a stack of +1 Spell Storing Arrows and be able to cast Shivering Touch, get a Lesser Rod of Maximize to put one in each arrow. Get a x4 weapon to CDG your helpless Dex 0 opponents with.

Lyndworm
2008-10-30, 02:02 PM
I should've mentioned this before, but casters aren't allowed. I won't be fighting any, either.

As to the hulking hurler, I'd snatch it up if I could get a guarantee that I'd have consistent access to ammo. I can't very well carry around hundreds of pounds in rocks, now can I?

I'll see if I can get a greenlight on the hurler, but in the mean time any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Zack

The Glyphstone
2008-10-30, 02:42 PM
the easiest solution to that is get one or two enchanted rocks with Returning on them. There's no rule that says improvised weapons aren't eligible for enchanting...

AmberVael
2008-10-30, 02:45 PM
the easiest solution to that is get one or two enchanted rocks with Returning on them. There's no rule that says improvised weapons aren't eligible for enchanting...

An enchanted weapon has to be masterwork.
Find me a masterwork rock.

Meat Shield
2008-10-30, 02:47 PM
Appropriate ammo for a hurler could be kept in appropriate bags o' holding or handysacks that are handy, yes?

Meat Shield
2008-10-30, 02:48 PM

The Hope Diamond?

Lyndworm
2008-10-30, 02:57 PM
Appropriate ammo for a hurler could be kept in appropriate bags o' holding or handysacks that are handy, yes?

That's not a bad idea...

Zack

Teron
2008-10-30, 02:58 PM
Have someone carve them into perfect football shapes or something. That should justify a +1 to hit and a 300 gp price tag.

Lyndworm
2008-10-30, 03:05 PM
I was thinking that myself, actually.

Zack

Fan
2008-10-30, 03:07 PM
An enchanted weapon has to be masterwork.
A rock COULD be masterwork. Its called Obsidian, and you COULD just pour an Oil of Returning weapon on it following the rules for custom magic thingies.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-30, 03:21 PM
If you're sticking with Scout, grab yourself the Improved Skirmish feat from Complete Scoundrel. Move 20', +2d6 damage and +2 AC on top of your base skirmish. See also: Desert Wind Strike from Tome of Battle: +1d6 fire damage if you move 10'.

Lyndworm
2008-10-30, 03:48 PM
If you're sticking with Scout, grab yourself the Improved Skirmish feat from Complete Scoundrel. Move 20', +2d6 damage and +2 AC on top of your base skirmish. See also: Desert Wind Strike from Tome of Battle: +1d6 fire damage if you move 10'.

So far Scout seems like a good option. I've already included Improved Skirmish in my theoretical build.

By Desert Wind Strike do you mean Desert Fire? It it adds 1d6 Skirmish damage to any Desert Wind strike. I don't see any mention of fire damage, though.

I'm not sure how useful Desert Fire would really be, though, because I plan to avoid melee combat. Still, I appreciate the advice. Any other ideas are surely welcome.

Zack

Keld Denar
2008-10-30, 04:10 PM
If you do go Hulking Hurler, you could also pick up Fling Enemy from Races of Stone. With a high strength and high mobility, you'd be able to charge someone, pick them up, throw them far enough that they'd take a decent bit of damage and likely be unable to reach you in a movement other than a charge. Then you grab them, throw them again, and run around the arena. Repeat charging-tossing and tossing-fleeing as often as needed until foe is dead. I'd suggest throwing in some Barbarian then for rage to boost your str, as well as give you pounce (so you can progress through the touch/grapple/throw progression as fast as possible).

That would be pretty baddass.

Also, I dunno if you have to stack your LA/RHD that way, but I'd put them all onto one side of your build, so you can get better HD/Skills/Saves/Features while paying for all of that. Then put all of your dips on your centaur side. That's IF you can do that.

Myshlaevsky
2008-10-30, 04:14 PM
A rock COULD be masterwork. Its called Obsidian, and you COULD just pour an Oil of Returning weapon on it following the rules for custom magic thingies.

?

I dunno, folks have nothing do with obsidian. Do you drop the 300 gold into the quick-cooling lava? :smalltongue:

Bearing in mind of course, D&D obsidian may be something entirely unconnected, which I know nothing about.

vicente408
2008-10-30, 04:16 PM
?

I dunno, folks have nothing do with obsidian. Do you drop the 300 gold into the quick-cooling lava? :smalltongue:

Bearing in mind of course, D&D obsidian may be something entirely unconnected, which I know nothing about.

Well, Obsidion isn't even a mineral, technically. It's glass.

hamishspence
2008-10-30, 04:19 PM
Natural glass. Which means a mineral, of sorts.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-30, 04:21 PM
Just make sure the rock has jagged edges so it deals twice as much damage. Being masterwork would mean that it's regularly round, and the weight is distributed evenly throughout rather than being heavier on one side. That means it would need to be carefully forged and cool evenly, which would take quite a bit of time and money, therefore it would be masterwork quality.

Lyndworm
2008-10-30, 04:22 PM
If you do go Hulking Hurler, you could also pick up Fling Enemy from Races of Stone. With a high strength and high mobility, you'd be able to charge someone, pick them up, throw them far enough that they'd take a decent bit of damage and likely be unable to reach you in a movement other than a charge. Then you grab them, throw them again, and run around the arena. Repeat charging-tossing and tossing-fleeing as often as needed until foe is dead. I'd suggest throwing in some Barbarian then for rage to boost your str, as well as give you pounce (so you can progress through the touch/grapple/throw progression as fast as possible).

That sounds very cool. I think I'll take you up on that, but I maybe for a different character.

That would be pretty baddass.

Undoubtedly.

Also, I dunno if you have to stack your LA/RHD that way, but I'd put them all onto one side of your build, so you can get better HD/Skills/Saves/Features while paying for all of that. Then put all of your dips on your centaur side. That's IF you can do that.

I can't... I'm required to split it the way I did.

Zack