PDA

View Full Version : [EVERYONE WELCOME] You are the Character: Survive! Part 3

Another_Poet
2008-10-30, 12:36 PM
This is Part 3 of a series, back by popular demand. If you haven’t already it may help for you to look at the previous areas in this series, located here:
Area 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93131).
Area 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93216)

For this what-if, you have only your own real-life skills. You do not have the skills of your D&D character. This is your chance to put your honed gamer mind to work in a real-world environment :)

You are the Character, Area 3: That's a Lot of Windows!

Recently you woke up in the 4th floor conference room of the history museum where you work. You don't remember how you got to work or who brought you here. Through research and exploration you discovered that there's been some sort of major crisis. The History Museum has, so far, seemed largely safe.

You were excited to find signs of a co-worker in the building, but his office was empty. When you checked the only outdoor entrance from the 4th floor, you found it propped open, and were viciously attacked by the person outside. Luckily, you managed to lock them out.

Now, for the first time since waking up, you are venturing down from the 4th floor offices and checking the rest of the building, starting with the exhibits on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

You have:

Pockets:
-your house and office keys,
-your wallet
-12 paper clips
-your ID tag
-a pen
Belt:
-a Leatherman knife/tool
-A "cleaver" made from the slicing arm of a paper-slicer
-Handmade cardboard sheathe for the cleaver
-roll of duct tape
Briefcase:
-jug of cleaning chemical
-bottle of fresh water
-granola bars
-A broom stick
-2 GB data card w/ hax to access employee workstations
Left Hand:
Broom stick
Right hand:
(open)
Note: some of you made a glaive before. Kudos for your creativity! But, after reviewing the length of the non-blade part of the paper slicer, its weight and balance, and the suggested methods of sticking it on the broomstick, I'm ruling that it would fall apart quickly in battle, even in just one or two hits. Paper cleaver is now separate from broomstick.

The Map:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7194/museumplankq9.th.png (http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=museumplankq9.png)

The Windows:
On the 2nd Floor, the following walls are lines with huge windows: all walls facing the terrace, the wals oif the classrooms, the walls around the north doors (and the doors themselves are glass), most of the library walls, and some of the office walls. You have no idea whether any of these windows are broken unless you check it out firsthand. (Many of the 3rd floor walls are also windows, but they are two high up to be likely entry points).

The problem with getting around:

The West Elevators (near emergency stairs) brought you down, but won't bring you back up. They are in security mode and you haven't got a key. If unlocked, they can access all floors of the building.

To go back up to 4th floor, you'll need to go to the west emergency stairs. Once you enter the emergency stairs the doors lock behind you, forcing you to either go down and exit the building, or go up to 4th floor where you cleverly rigged the door to stay unlocked.

You also lowered a "rope" made of phone cords, which dangles down from 4th floor to 3rd floor. Whether it will hold your weight is a different matter.

The South Elevators (near library) only go to levels 3, 2, 1, B1, and B2; but you don't know yet if they are also in security mode.

The Cargo Elevator is terribly slow and also goes to levels 3, 2, 1, B1 and B2. You don't know if it even has a security mode.

You also don't know which, if any doors on 3F and 2F are locked. Even doors that appear on the map merely as gaps in a wall may be closed and locked. You have to check it out to be sure.

You can easily take the stairs down to 1st floor, but once you do so, you are done with this area. 1st Floor or the basement levels will represent different areas (and won't be posted for some time). In other words, get whatever you can out of 3F and 2F before heading down.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

((Demon roaches will be awarded for the plan(s) that is/are most clever while still being sane!))

About this game:

I though it'd be fun, and now it's got a lot of regulars. So I thought I'd keep it going!

Be realistic, and ask questions if you're unsure about something. I'll do my best to answer. I'm currently at work at the History Museum where I'm setting this little game, so if I don't know an answer I can probably go check the room and find out. If I take a while to respond it means my work load went up, but I'll be back.

Demon Roach Cumulative Totals:

9 astralfire

1 asbestos

3 colmarr

2 deej

3 drizztfan

4 flashlight

4 Gralamin

6 Jack Zander

14 lordhenry

2 obliged_salmon

1 paladinboy

1 Proven_Paradox

2 quillbreaker (retroactive)

2 starbuck II

2 Tadanori Oyama

2 TheFallenOne

1 zorander

DrizztFan24
2008-10-30, 01:28 PM
First Post!

EDIT:

OK now for the actual post......didn't want to be ninja'd...

What is the most nasty kind of chemical I can get from the janitors office? I was hoping for something that either decompses to form an incredibly obnoxious vapor barrier or is a big irritant to skin...acidic is prefferable.

I will go about the third floor and scout each room. I sneak around everywhere, avoiding views form the outside. I also peek around each corner before going into the room and I try to move as quietly as possible. While surveying each room and all of the windows (to insure they are still intact) I take any object I can and pile them in the center of the floor, to be sorted later.

Should I spot a being on the inside of the museum otehr than myself the above instruction are put on standby until description of the individual(s) are offered.

So brief synopsis.
-check each room and window
-be sneaky while doing it
-take anything I can find and pile it in the center
-handle other situations as they appear.

ALSO, what kind of clothes am I wearing? Nice dress slacks and a suit coat or just some loose slacks and a collared shirt with a tie? Something else?

EDIT2:Loves to AP for the post! you gain two +3 echoing cookies of the twelve.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-30, 04:16 PM
W00t, my rope is still here! I needed this topic back ...failed my Organic Chem. test; gah! Need something to keep mind off that.

Once I am down I look around with broom back in my hand (never know if something else is in there). How much lighting is there (how dark)?

I always check bathroom first so I'll do that...plus it has been a bit since I last peed (I think).

Is the door before bathroom locked?

If not: go in bathroom.

If I see someone I try to discern if they look diseased, mutanted, or monstrous before letting them know I am here (I don't want zombies to maul/corner me).
If they are messed up in above ways, I try to sneak away.
If they chase me agressively, I swing with the broom aiming for the head or the groin (even on females that hurts).

Even then I don't stay to finish the fight: just try to buy time to get away.

If they seem decent looking (not messed up) I ask if they are okay. Also "Who are you?" and "what "they doing here?".

Prometheus
2008-10-30, 04:44 PM
Questions:
-What is surrounding the museum? Essentially I am looking for what is within a stone throw from the roof. Are there trees? Other Buildings?
-Is there a curatorial section of the museum where tools, dangerous chemicals, security items, and/or artifacts-not-on-display might be?
-What is the time of the day? Is it getting late or has not much time at all passed?
-How robust is the locked door to the roof? How do the highest floor windows work and open?
-Does the museum have a backup generator?

Personal-to-do-list:
-Search the museum for zombies
-Secure the museum against zombies
-Find flammables and combustibles
-Find food and water supplies
-Find weapons
-Get roof access
In short, I'm worried about two things that haven't really been mentioned yet. 1) That zombies are in parts of the museum I have entered yet. and 2) That the power will go out and I will be screwed (after all, internet servers all over the country are down). I will try to eliminate the possibility (or reality) of 1) before 2) occurs.

Actions:
Before departing I craft the following object: I use a string of rope/wires/lanyards and thread paper clips (large paper clips) on it so that the clips are nestled between knots on the "rope". I tie more "rope", with various different lengths to the other end of each paper clip and I tie coffee mugs, paperweights, and other solid objects to the other end of those ropes. The result is that I have these heavy objects hanging at various intervals on the rope. I'll call this the noise-maker, and while carrying it I tend to walk very slowly so as not to make clinking sounds.

Upon going to the third floor I tie each end of the noise maker to each end of the stairs that go from the third floor to the second floor. That way, anything stupid that comes up it will run into it and pull it down, making a loud series of thumps and clattering noises. If the stairs to the west of that can allow someone to go from the second floor to the third floor, than I make a mug stack in front of that door so it would also make a sound.

Staff in hand, sneak-scouting much as DrizzitFan24 described, I enter area 3, than 1, than 2. Other than zombies, I am looking for portable lights, poles, planks/plates, flammables, weapons, and heavy things on carts. Also, there is no reason why I can't refresh my knowledge of history while I'm here :smallsmile:

obliged_salmon
2008-10-31, 02:04 PM
Incidentally, AP, perhaps you should post to the old thread that the new one is up, so it pings for people who have subscribed to it.

I want to go in room #3, and the camera should definitely show close ups of me looking scared, interspersed with monster POV shots of me from behind, wandering around unobservantly.

Zorander
2008-10-31, 05:59 PM
When the elevators arrive at a floor, is there a bell sound? (don't want to alert anyone) - if so, I send an elevator down to floor 3 and watch from above to see if anyone comes to investigate. If yes, I observe their movements to determine if they are behaving similarly to the person encountered on the outside. If no, then I take the elevator down to floor 3, but remain alert for anyone on the floor. I check the open hallways for any movement and pay particular attention to the stairway to the 2nd floor. I would examine the the doors to the Depression and WWII exhibit - open(ajar) or shut; if shut, carefully open if unlocked and looking around first for movement (is the room lit or dark), specifically looking for objects like backpacks, a helmet, marbles, bayonets/large knives, twine, coiled wire or other light ropelike materials.

DrizztFan24
2008-10-31, 10:14 PM
Incidentally, AP, perhaps you should post to the old thread that the new one is up, so it pings for people who have subscribed to it.

I want to go in room #3, and the camera should definitely show close ups of me looking scared, interspersed with monster POV shots of me from behind, wandering around unobservantly.

AP is all over it, that's how I was alerted.

Dr Bwaa
2008-11-01, 06:27 PM
Awesome Job, AP! Now that's over with, down to business =D

First off, I'm building my torch again, though I'm leaving it in my office since lighting it is a pain and I don't need to go anywhere dark at the moment. :smalltongue:

My method of movement is as follows: I'm moving as quietly as possible-in fact, I'm leaving my shoes inside a ceiling the first moment I get a chair or something to stand on, so I'll be moving around in socks. Before I turn any corners, I'm using my spoon (most useful silverware ever) as a mirror to check all my surroundings. The same goes for opening doors. If I need to use my hands for something, I put the broomstick against a wall right nearby, easy to grab, and whatever I'm doing I make sure I'm facing said broomstick so no one gets it away from me sneakily.

Systematically, I explore all of 3F, going counter-clockwise around the whole floor to ensure that I don't miss anything. I've taped the lock on the 4F West Stairs Door, and placed my paperclip trap, then taken the elevator down to 3F. Starting thus here, I check the close stairs down--no door, I assume? I tie a length of telephone wire (assuming I still have some--otherwise I'll make a short rope of duct tape, with emphasis on it being as thin as possible) across the top of the stairs, about seven inches off the floor, and actually out in the staircase a little if possible (are there railings? This would be ideal). My intention is a tripwire. Theoretically, any CREPs should hit the tripwire on their way up (or down, I suppose), alerting me to their presence. The tripwire should be located, if possible, either 7" above ground level at the top of the stairs, or about 2" above ground level and about 3" past the edge of the top stair (for better likelihood of tripping).

So, this secured, I turn around and head for the door to the right of the elevator, to the Staff Only area. Assuming this is not locked (based on the existence of "Staff-Only Locked" doors on the map :smalltongue:), I head inside and check for anyone alive. I also call the cargo elevator and check inside that, as well. All windows get closed if they're not already. Once these are finished off, I'll head to Exhibit 3.

I am actively looking for the following items in my (thorough) search:
Flashlight
more Duct Tape
Keys
Wires (any kind, but preference goes to smaller, copper wires)
Spare change (not taking dimes, but all else)
Metal Silverware
A solid-looking box, not too big
Any small metal rods
cardboard (the sturdier, the better)

Another_Poet
2008-11-03, 10:52 AM
Hi guys! Sorry for the slow update - Friday was a holiday for me and the weekend is always busy. Okay:

Lighting/Timing: You spent the whole ngiht trying to sleep on 4th floor, and so it is now early morning, about 6:30 a.m. All the areas with windows are well-lit by morning sunlight; other areas (such as exhibits) will depend on what lighting is left on overnight, or what you turn on yourself. I'll let you know if somewhere is dark.

Environs: To the north of the museum is a long walkway & lawn that goes toward a major road (door on 2f). To the west is a large patio terrace, with a single line of trees beyond it and a road beyond that (doors on 2f). To the southwest is a lawn with gardens (1f doors). To the south is the parking lot (1f doors). To the east is the loading dock, beyond which is heavier tree cover. The trees there serve as a noise barrier against the nearby freeway. That's probably the only side with heavy foliage less than 200yds from the door, but the entrance is all the way down on B2.

Clothing: Slacks, button-down collared shirt, but no tie. You have a belt too, and reasonably comfortable shoes.

Chemicals: I actually don't know what the janitors use. I'll say you have a jug of bleach.

Elevators: Yes, there is a bell chiome when the elevator reaches a floor. Good call on sending it down empty and observing first; no one comes running.

Tripwires & Alarums: No one puts phone cord across the top of the stairs, since the only one you brought with you is your emergency rope back up to 4f. However, Lordhenry's duct-tape-rope makes an impromptu and bulky tripwire. And yes, there are railings, so it's easy to set up.

Other questions: You've never heard of a backup generator, but then, it's not in your job description to know that kind of stuff. The door to the roof was a heavy door made of metal, but that's in a different area now.

**New Event**
Bathroom: You open the staff-only doors near the elevator, glad to see they are not locked. Following a flourescent-tube-lit corridor, you come to the heavy wooden door that leads to the bathrooms. As you open it, the men's room is on your left and the women's room on your right. You hear a flush from the men's room.

(Note: I know people tries going to a few different areas, but I saw bathroom first so that's what you get. :) If you live through the bathroom we can move on to check the other areas you guys wanted to see....)

Starbuck_II
2008-11-03, 12:54 PM
Hi guys! Sorry for the slow update - Friday was a holiday for me and the weekend is always busy. Okay:

It is okay; some people have jobs I guess. I only have college.

Chemicals: I actually don't know what the janitors use. I'll say you have a jug of bleach.

Still very hazardous so it will do in a pinch. I need ammonia or vinegar now.

**New Event**
Bathroom: You open the staff-only doors near the elevator, glad to see they are not locked. Following a flourescent-tube-lit corridor, you come to the heavy wooden door that leads to the bathrooms. As you open it, the men's room is on your left and the women's room on your right. You hear a flush from the men's room.

(Note: I know people tries going to a few different areas, but I saw bathroom first so that's what you get. :) If you live through the bathroom we can move on to check the other areas you guys wanted to see....)

I ready my broom and slowly push the men's room door open. Are there light's in the men's room?
If so, after pushing 1/2 the broom through with no issue; I push it open so I can see.

If there is a man there: I try to communicate keeping a good distance from him.
"Sir, what happened here? I just woke up and it seems like a disaster area outside. Was it a terrorist attack?"

If attacked I start swinging with broom then move to Leatherman and Cleaver (dual weilding) if gets too close (Broom as Reach weapon since it has long reach)
I am ambidexterous in real life so I can swing them without too much trouble, but I've never used a knife to stab/slash someone before.

I have swung a staff/broom/mop at someone and am decent at swining those in a fight. (been a few years since last did it I'll admit)
My bro and I used to fight (him with his Metal crutches, this was after he could walk, and me with my mop) alot when younger.
The Crutches were caused by a jelly fish not me. Ever step on one of those?
Ouch. Can't walk for a while.

Anyhoo, so I can fight with my broom and maybe my dagger/cleaver.

If the person is in the stall (who flushed) then I ask: while keeping my distance close to door;
Same message as above.

If I get blow that knocks him out or just down to ground: I run and find something to barricade bathroom door with.
The idea is keep the bad men where I can find them.

Another_Poet
2008-11-03, 01:17 PM
You enter the bathroom, seeing no one at first. The door to the only stall is open, as if no one is in there, but you can't see the toilet from this angle - you'd have to walk up to the stall door to look in.

No one responds to your call.

Zorander
2008-11-03, 02:03 PM
I scan the room, can I see into the stall from the mirror over the sink? I crouch and see if I can see under the partion from a distance for feet on the floor. Either way, I call again, stating my name and asking who are you? I take out my water bottle if there is no movement or response and squirt some water on the floor in front of the stall, ready to throw the bottle and use the broomstick as a quarterstaff.

Prometheus
2008-11-03, 02:48 PM
Hmm, knew I should have hoped into the area 2 action. Well, I doubt it will make a difference. I'm going with a naturalistic hypothesis of zombies. They are simple enough that they will remain much in the same fashion so long as their environment doesn't change. Unless I make a sound, nothing should come up the stairs. Of course, I don't know whether the element of surprise matters much for zombies, but at least it would help me keep distance if the zombie's behavior is to seek me out and rush me.

I further try calling out, making banging sounds, and eventually throwing something. I'd rather not close in to something if it's there. I'm also wary of a trap or lure, by either a human or a zombie (there is some precedent for that in zombie films at least). I look for strings or anything that might allow the toilet to be flushed remotely and if I stand there long, peek over my shoulder. If I see something, I don't trust it unless it talks or keeps it's distance. The next line is to look underneath the stall by crouching, open the door as much as possible with the broomstick, than strafe so I can see in.

In the event of an attack, I try to back out assuming I have time to do so before it reaches me. I'd purposely try to leave the door ajar, so that I can attack it while it is opening the door. My technique is to use the broomstick like a spear. In the event that the target is slow, stunned, or exceptionally open, I jab at the head, otherwise I jab at the upper chest. If it is running headlong at me, I hope that a firm jab to the chest would knock it back since it is likely to be caught on one foot. So I try to keep it at an arm's length (or rather, broomstick's length) at all times, following with a two-handed swing to the head if it is knocked down or unconscious.

Another_Poet
2008-11-03, 02:54 PM
Zorander, there is no response to the calling or the water, and you see no legs under the stall wall.

Prometheus, when you strafe into the stall...

You see no one. No one at all. You appear to be alone in the bathroom.

Zorander
2008-11-03, 03:02 PM
Does the stall door open inward (handicap accessible) or outward? I push hard against the door with my broomstick to see if someone is hiding behind it (making sure I don't step in the water) and get ready to defend. If there is no one there, do I see a urinal? I examine the room for another door like a janitor's closet, if I find one, I rap on the door with my broomstick, stepping back to see if the door crashes open in response. (I presume the door to the stairs is at the end of the hallway between the bathrooms does THIS door open into the stairway or into the hallway?) Remind me NOT to shake their hand if this turns out to be a person, not an CREP :smallyuk:

DrizztFan24
2008-11-03, 03:05 PM
Would the staff-only area normally be locked to anyone coming in?

Lavatory Showdown:
I will quickly but quietly open the door with my broomstick. I will be opening the door almost open with the stick, once it is almost fully open I will peek around the corner. If the human/CREEP/other acronym is at the sink, I will attempt to make friendly contact. If the figure is in the stall I wait for them to come out. I am curious if this is another coworker that has been climbing through the ceilings as I have or if they are a CREEP that got in before I remove the ashtray. Urinal I will check the figure face and see if the figure is not obviously infected/otherwise not normal looking.

If the figure is creepy looking in any circumstance and I am undetected I will wait to see if they climb out of the cieling or if they use the door. If it appears like they are coming out the door I will lie in wait around the corner and suprise the figure.

If the figure is not creepy looking I will attempt to make friendly contact. If it turns out that they ARE hostile then I will resort to beating the crap out of them...nothing personal :P

If combat ensues let me know if I have a surprise moment or not.

Please and Thank you.

Prometheus
2008-11-03, 10:18 PM
Prometheus, when you strafe into the stall...

You see no one. No one at all. You appear to be alone in the bathroom.
I swing at it and run!...
lol, that's just to mess with people. Anyway, I'm assuming you would have told me if there was something in any other part of the bathroom (I check any janitor's closets, any cabinets, and look for signs of quick escape) or if there was anything that allowed remotely resembled rigging to remotely trigger the flushing sound.
It's funny that I didn't hear any door openings, but since that would be the only way out, I use the door to the stairs as soon as possible. As soon as possible including time to mentally ready myself for whatever is behind that door. Ordinarily I'd want to construct something that lets me open the door at maximum distance, but I just don't have time if I want to catch it (I'm not eager to fight a zombie, but I am eager to make contact with another human and I would definitely want to know where the zombie is when I fight it, since it apparently has the intelligence to set traps).
So, I open the door at a full arm's length and ready the staff in my left hand. If it opens inward I jump back as I open it towards me. If it opens outward I push it hard enough that I don't have to come closer to open it to the point where there is no space between it and the wall. Assuming I don't see anything with my expanded field or vision or no trap springs on me, I move my body all the way to the right to see as much as possible and use the staff to swing/feel around that left corner of the doorway as I step through. If I still don't see anything, I sweep the stairwell, being sure to peek around the right side of the door, down the stairs, go down the stairs, check under the stairs, and see if the door down there is transparent.

Another_Poet
2008-11-04, 01:32 PM
For those of you who are just now entering & exploring the bathroom, you fidn the same thing as Prometheus: no one is in the stall. You check behind the stall door, still no one.

The ceiling panels look undisturbed.

There are no janitor closet doors.

Here is the layout:

...._________________
S..D
....|____..\__________ to 3rd floor main area
....|____|.|____
....|......\.../.....|
....|.W...|o|..M.|
....|____|..|___|

Where S = emergency stairs
D = one-way door
/ or \ = openable door
W = women's room
M = men's room
o = drinking fountain (affixed to a solid wall, not showable)

Zorander
2008-11-04, 01:39 PM
oooh we have an iCREP!!!

Prometheus
2008-11-04, 01:48 PM
Oh so the bathroom doesn't have a second door. That makes things rather difficult. Maybe the automatic flushing sensor tripped? I search the Women's restroom (do they really have chairs and couches?:smallbiggrin:) and then return to the exhibits (heading towards number 3, unless you find it easier for us all to go to the same one and that one is a different one).

Another_Poet
2008-11-04, 02:21 PM
By the time you finish a slow, cautious search of the women's room, you hear the flushing again and run into the men's room to find the urinals auto-flushing.

Apparently they do this every 4 minutes.

Exhibit 3 has two double doors, one that is meant as the entrance and one meant as the exit. Both are currently closed but, you discover, unlocked.

The doors farther to the north are meant as the entrance.

Choose your door and describe any precautions you are taking!

Starbuck_II
2008-11-04, 02:40 PM
By the time you finish a slow, cautious search of the women's room, you hear the flushing again and run into the men's room to find the urinals auto-flushing.

Apparently they do this every 4 minutes.

Exhibit 3 has two double doors, one that is meant as the entrance and one meant as the exit. Both are currently closed but, you discover, unlocked.

The doors farther to the north are meant as the entrance.

Choose your door and describe any precautions you are taking!

I search the stalls and find out no one is there

Next, I use the rest room (I make sure the toilet seat is not wet by wiping with toilet paper): I need a good pee.

After that, I wash hands. Now I guess I will check exhibit 1 (I like music). Is the door locked?
I keep the broom at the ready just in case there is danger.

Zorander
2008-11-04, 03:05 PM
I re-fill my water bottle, put it away, then proceed to exhibit room 3. I listen at the south door for noise, if I hear none, then crouch slightly and slowly open the door that will allow me to peek into the room - again, do the doors open in or out?

If the doors open in:
I push the door open slowly, using my right shoulder with the broomstick held quarterstaff fashion, left hand on top

If the doors open out:
I brace against the southernmost double door, holding my broomstick in my right hand and opening the other door a crack with my left hand, then shift to using my broomstick to further opening the door.

If no one there, I examine the room for other weapons (knives, bayonets, any dish or frisbee-like device), ball bearings, marbles, helmets, backpacks, anything I can use for a tripwire. I look around to see else what the exhibit contains.

Dr Bwaa
2008-11-04, 03:09 PM
I move into area 3 through the South door; if I find something inside I want to be able to run from it without vaulting over the abyss/railing here or leaping down to 2F. I get on one knee and (after checking under the door, if I can, to see if the lights are on) crack the door just enough for me to look inside with my spoon-mirror. When I feel unthreatened enough, I'll kick the door open abruptly the rest of the way, broomstick in hand.

If I see that the lights are off inside, instead of cracking the door I look for the switch to turn them on, hoping it's out here. I fi can find it, I turn them on, then follow my previous strategy of looking inside, then kicking open the door. If I can't find the lightswitch, I don't crack the door, instead just turning on all the lights, getting my broomstick in hand and kicking it forcefully open, hoping to dazzle whatever might be inside long enough for me to knock it out.

Once inside, I'm looking through the exhibit thoroughly for people and useful items (I'll post a more specific list of those once I get in)

I need ammonia or vinegar now.
:smalleek: AP, consider me only using the bleach/ammonia combo (if we can find it) as a LAST POSSIBLE RESORT. I'm going around shutting all the windows, after all, and that much toxic gas hanging around is not my idea of a safe environment!

DrizztFan24
2008-11-04, 03:35 PM
The ceiling panels look undisturbed.

Is that like "You detect no traps." as opposed to "There are no traps."?

Once the bathrooms are checked I will grab one of the smallest mirrors I can find and begin to score a line acros both sides with my keys. I am hoping for about a 3"x2" piece that I can use. I want to score a deep line so that it is encouraged to break along those lines when I smash it. Once I have a deep enough line I will carefully tap the glass against the corner of a ledge. I will first take off a 2" section from the entire top. Once I get that 2" strip of mirror I want to score another 3" line perpendicular to the previous break line.

Equipped with my new mirror I will check around each corner and I can also use it to signal at a distance. I shall continue along my way to EX. area 3. (assuming this is along my previous path of search.)

Another_Poet
2008-11-04, 04:05 PM
@ drizzt-fan: how are you affixin the two mirror strips into a right-angle? You'll need something better than glue or phone cord to hold two mirrors together. (If you use small pieces backed with duct tape, you could do it hand-held, but then you're reaching your hand around blind corners before you see what's around them.)

@ lordhenry: noted, but you're in a huge room with a quadruple-high ceiling. You'll probably be okay even with something putting off fumes.

EXHIBIT 3
((Sorry, Starbuck, this one was called first))

The doors open outward, and you hear no sound from within. You slowly open the door and look in.

This exhibit is dedicated to the generation of people from your state who were raised during the Great Depression, were teenagers or young adults during World Ward II, and went on to be part of the Boom Years in the 1940s-1960s.

You are at the south doors, which are supposed to be the exhibit's exit. As such, the nearest displays you can see are from the later part of the period in question: large photographs of various elderyly people, with their quotes about how the world has changed in their life splayed across the wall around them in huge letters. On fact, the entire near wall is a montage of quotes and images that coms off as either inspirational or corny, depending on your perspective.

A 1940s style radio, 1950s style TV and an oversize ultra-modern laptop cluster together to your left, all turned off.

Farther in, you can see the shadowy hulk of a bus. That's right, an actual bus has been put in the exhibit - it was one of the buses used for the freedom rides in the American South that were such a major part of the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's.

Beyond that, you see nothing at all; none of the lights are on in the exhibit. There are no obvious switches near the door.

Dr Bwaa
2008-11-04, 05:16 PM
OOC: bus! busbusbus! :smallbiggrin:

I get the door open all the way, to let in as much light as possible. Realizing that, if this exhibit has no light, it's likely to become a recurring problem, I keep my eyes open for string and dark, thick cloth (mostly just want string).

I go first to the laptops and turn then all on. If nothing else, they will provide illumination. While they're booting I'll feel around in this area for light switches, assuming they will be wall-colored and located in out-of-the way places, around small corners, behind crossbars, and the like. I'll hack one of the computers with my USB key, but the others I'll just leave as on as I can get them without much work (just for lighting). I'm pointing these in all directions out into the room, and being careful not to look at the laptops for too long at any time, as it'll ruin my nightvision.

My next stop (probably while I'm hacking the password, because that'll probably take a little while) is the TV and radio. Does the radio have those small wires all across the front? if so, I'm going to liberate several of them in as long sections as possible. Then, if there is glass protecting these displays, I will already have broken glass nearby (I broke it with the broom handle). otherwise I'll break the TV. I grab the biggest, most diamond-shaped piece of glass I can find, and take a few minutes to...

Carve a deep notch into one end of my broomstick (it might even have one already!), just the right width. Then I'll score my glass piece of choice deeply in a couple of triangles on the edges, to make it into a rough arrowhead shape when I knock out the pieces at the edges. This I will then insert into my broomstick, and secure firmly in place with the wire from the radio. New weapon: Spear.

At this point i will hopefully have either found the lights or at least ahve a computer booted up, so I'll check out what's on the computer , what sort of purpose it serves, and so on.

Zorander
2008-11-04, 10:28 PM
I enter the room and go over to the pictures. If they are behind glass (picture frame glass), I break the glass with the broomstick. I check to see if there is any reaction in the room to the sound. If no movement/other sound, I break up the glass in small pieces using the broomstick and take the duct tape and wrap it around one end of my broomstick (about 5 finger width), sticky side on the handle, 2 x around, then fold over the tape so the sticky side is out and wrap another 2 times. Then I roll the sticky part in the glass shards for MY new weapon. I take out the tubes from the radio and the TV and take the 'rabbit ears' antenna from the TV (unless there is a full roof antenna in evidence, better, stronger metal) and store them in my briefcase. I work my way to the bus, looking around for movement, sound. Is the door to the bus open or closed? Are the windows all shut or are any slid open? I intend to explore the room further before I remove one of the smaller mirrors on the outside or inside of the bus.

DrizztFan24
2008-11-04, 11:26 PM
@ drizzt-fan: how are you affixin the two mirror strips into a right-angle? You'll need something better than glue or phone cord to hold two mirrors together. (If you use small pieces backed with duct tape, you could do it hand-held, but then you're reaching your hand around blind corners before you see what's around them.)

It would actually be incredibly annoying to have them at right angles. What I meant was I do the following:

|FIILLERRRRRRRR|
|FIILLERRRRRRRR|
|_____________|

becomes

|FIILLERRRRRRRR|
|FIILLERRRRRRRR|
|FIILLERRRRRRRR|
|_____________|

becomes

___g_____________
|__| |____________| <-I keep the smallest section.

And the way I figure I would rather stick my hand around a blind corner than my head.....just sayin'. It's smaller and less detectable.

EX. Area:
I will first open the doors as far as I can and then search to light switches next to the doors. If they are not there I want to boot up the laptops and use them to shed some light. Once I have a halfway-manageable amount of light I will chuck one of the quotes in a frame at the bus. Hoping for no reactions of course. Keeping an eye out for anything that I can canabalize and turn into something useful...the frames themselves even might work.

Another_Poet
2008-11-05, 10:49 AM
Clarification 1: There is only one laptop, one TV, and one radio.

Clarification 2: There are no picture frames. The pictures and words are painted (decaled?) directly onto the wall.

Drizztfan: Alright, you have acquired a mirror shard.

lordhenry: Making a spear with broken TV glass? I doubt it's worth the effort of even duct-taping the shard to the end of the broom, let alone trying to use glass to grind a groove deep enough in the wood to accept the spearhead. However, the wires you asked about are indeed present on the radio, and (courtesy of your Leatherman) you now have them. 6" long each.

Darnit!
The power button on the laptop (and the other two devices) does nothing. It would appear these are remotely activated to run some kind of looped AV program. The buttons and dials on the actual devices are disabled so guests don't fiddle with them and ruin the show.

No light switches are found.

The TV is now broken, but neither the sound of breaking it nor the act of chucking glass at the bus brings any reaction.

Zorander
2008-11-05, 11:58 AM
I continue to examine the room, working towards the north doors. I walk around the bus and look for openings.

Asbestos
2008-11-05, 12:11 PM
Asbestos has joined the party.
Save for lung damage...

Alright, me and my singular demon roach carefully explore the third floor, broomstick at the ready. I don't go about breaking glass because that's crazy.

I carefully check out the bus (leatherman in hand rather than broom in this close quarter environment) for signs of life.

If I find none, I head over to areas 1 and 2.

Hopefully once I get down to the 2nd floor I can get something useful out of the Native American exhibit (btw, que es Duplex exhibit?)

DrizztFan24
2008-11-05, 12:14 PM
Saweetness....mirror shard.

Well if there is no response form the bus I will move around the edge of the room towards the bus. If I managed to reach it without incident I will quickly scan the inside of the bus and then search all of the lower cabins and holding areas. Once I finish checking that area I will check the interior of the bus and hope to scrap some of the seats for supplies.

Dr Bwaa
2008-11-05, 04:40 PM
Psh, I'm not using the glass to grind a notch in the broomstick; I'm using the file on my leatherman! Should be about the right width, too! :smalltongue:

Regardless, I am gathering up all the wires from the radio, as they will make much better tripwires (once connected to each other) than the duct tape, which should be saved for other things.

No light switches yet, then?

Seeing that the laptop doesn't turn on but is remotely activated, I practically jump for joy. I check in the back, identify the ethernet cable, or, barring that, the USB, and begin tracing the cable to see where it goes. Hopefully this will lead me to wherever this room (and its lights) is controlled from. If it goes into a wall and I still can't find lights, I will try to guess where the wire might run--with a strong bias towards thinking that it's going South into the employee-only room by the freight elevator. If this is the case, that's where I'm going next, where I'll hopefully find all the light switches and turn them all on for all the exhibits.

Prometheus
2008-11-05, 10:11 PM
It's not mentioned in the OP of this thread, but I believe we have a lighter. If it's out of light fluid, hopefully one of the cleaning materials will act as a flammable substitute. We don't have any combustibles or means of controlling the fire unless we want to sacrifice our broomstick and personally I don't

The more I think about it, the more I think the broomstick is the best conceivable weapon to have, at least, against one zombie at a time. I'm using it as a spear, but I neither want it to push through the soft rancid flesh of a zombie (bringing it closer and still not dead), or get stuck to the end of my pole. I want to be able to push it away and bring it down. The only thing that would be worth replacing it is a finely crafted halberd, which I don't think any of us could make at this point. Of course, if the stick breaks that would really suck so I'd like a backup (or maybe a steel pole).

So am I correct in inferring that none of the electronics are working (except the laptop, which can be operated remotely)? Does the TV plug in to a modern outlet or is it that old? If so, there is probably a mean SOB capacitor in there that eventually I might be able to make into a taser or firestarter (in the meantime, I have better things to do and don't want to risk killing myself). I have no use for the glass yet, so I'll let it be for now. Oh, I try to follow the labtop cord as well so long as it doesn't take me into darkness that I can't see beyond twice the length of my broomstick.

Curators probably drained all the useful fluids out of the bus, but it might be worth a try. I don't have anything that can take off bars or panels, but that would be really useful for fortifications (as is, the bus is probably a lousy fortification). What would I need? A blow-torch? A sledge-hammer/axe? A heck of a lot of time? There's probably a med kit, and maybe a flashlight in the bus, but I can't risk going in there if I can see a thing, I'll have to wait till I get combustibles and a better torch. Actually what I really need is to get an office lamp and an extension cord, since there are offices on this floor, I'm not kicking myself too much yet.

I guess I'm waiting on where the laptop goes, whether any of the other electronics work, and whether or not there is cloth or string, but aside from that I'm probably ready to go to the next exhibit for now.

Dr Bwaa
2008-11-05, 10:34 PM
It's not mentioned in the OP of this thread, but I believe we have a lighter. If it's out of light fluid, hopefully one of the cleaning materials will act as a flammable substitute. We don't have any combustibles or means of controlling the fire unless we want to sacrifice our broomstick and personally I don't.

*other stuff Re: light*

I actually made a torch back in area 2, which AP said did work, but it uses all the lighter fluid. I'm intending to keep it as a backup, though, in case I need to travel outside at night. But I guess my point is that we do have the means to make a torch right now, so long as AP gives me a roach for it :smalltongue:

Asbestos
2008-11-05, 10:53 PM
I actually made a torch back in area 2, which AP said did work, but it uses all the lighter fluid. I'm intending to keep it as a backup, though, in case I need to travel outside at night. But I guess my point is that we do have the means to make a torch right now, so long as AP gives me a roach for it :smalltongue:

Hmm... I'd much rather have the lighter instead of the torch over with me on Earth-418. As such, I shall pretend that I have it (especially since I'm the one that decided to scrounge my coworker's stuff for a lighter, hooray for smokers! :smalltongue:)

Another_Poet
2008-11-07, 10:59 AM
((Sorry this is updating slow. I've been pretty busy at work.))

((Fair enough, you guys have a lighter.))

The cables in the back of the laptop - and the other two devices - extend into the wooden pedestal which holds all three of them. (By pedestal, we're really talking more of a huge wooden box - think of the displays in department store windows). You can trace them no further than that.

For those of you who fukbled on in the darkness, I assume you prop open the doors behind you to offer some light. They are designed to hold themselves open if opened all the way.

As you creep along through the exhibit, you go past huge glass display cases, tables, velvet "do not cross" ropes, and dozens of frighteming silhouettes hanging fromt he ceiling or jutting out of every imaginable corner and crevice. More than once you bump into something, stubbing a toe or bruising your ribs. What's worse, you make noise doing it.

Your job doesn't take you into the exhibits very often but you have a general idea of the layout. You follow your instincts toward the SE corner. Behind one of the displays should be a staff door...

And then you see eyes looking at you.

Zorander
2008-11-07, 11:14 AM
One pair of eyes or multiple?

Another_Poet
2008-11-07, 02:25 PM
One pair of eyes.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-07, 02:46 PM
If I was there I'd turn on my lighter to make more light (plus, most animals fear fire so just in case).

That would give me at least enough to see better in the room. Would the lighter let me see the eyes better (more light after all)?

Another_Poet
2008-11-07, 03:14 PM
((I assumed you had the lighter lit already - these are in the shadows just beyond the pale of the firelight.))

Zorander
2008-11-07, 03:17 PM
I state my name and ask theirs and ask if they know what has been happening - I am in a defensive posture, I wait for an answer to my question and will advance slowly if the eyes do not look blank, until I can better see their face.

Another_Poet
2008-11-07, 03:21 PM
Zorander: The eyes narrow with suspicion when you speak, and no response is forthcoming. You advance slowly, and as you draw closer you see the slight hint of a ghostly face.

The face looks familiar... and it's...

It's your own reflection on a glass display case.

Once you go aroun the display case you find the staff-only door tucked inconspicuously behind it. You're in the SE part of Exhibit 3.

((anyone can look at these spoilers. I just do it for effect. If you're in the same area and doing the same general thing, you can get the same information - I'll specify if a spoiler is meant for select people only.))

Prometheus
2008-11-07, 03:45 PM
I assume the podium is locked? Is it particle board or hard-grain wood? Thin or thick? In short, can I break it open by cutting at it with the knife, kicking it, or jabbing at it with the staff? If the answer is unsure, I test it out for myself.

My character probably deemed it too risky to venture much further in the darkness, given the lack of lighting, but I did decide to check out the bus. I check under the bus (if I can't see all the way underneath, I feel around with the broomstick). If I can get a view through the window from afar (standing on the TV or podium?), I do that. Finally, I open up the door and explore what I cannot see. I peer down below the seats, and than I stand on the seats as I make my way to the back searching. I look for: a med kit, flashlights, radios, mirrors, and containers of any sort. If I can't find a working flashlight, maybe I can make a bonfire out of seat stuffing and house it in a trashcan. By the way, if I find anything useful, this day will be hereafter known as "Magic Bus Day".

Zorander
2008-11-07, 04:28 PM
BOO! boy do I look scary!

Do I see any light switches yet? If so, I turn them on, else I enter the staff room and explore that area.

Another_Poet
2008-11-07, 05:20 PM
No light switches. Bus & staff area updates will be posted later (maybe tonight, probably Saturday).

DrizztFan24
2008-11-07, 07:57 PM
I realisitaclly have a heart rate of about 100 BPM right now and adrenaline running as I was ready to beat the (un)living crap out of something.

Continue searching bus and such.

Dr Bwaa
2008-11-08, 08:31 PM
Not finding any lights, I'm following my previous plan of going back to the staff room by the freight elevator, looking around in there under the assumption that that's where the lights are turned on/off from (and naturally, to check the ststus of the room and elevator).

Another_Poet
2008-11-10, 09:53 AM
The Bus:
It's hard to see anything at all inside the bus. If you hold up your lighter you can see that the gas guage is on "E". You find no flashlight or any other detachable, useable goods.

The seats are old cracked leather, damaged in many places. It's funny how even after years of being out of service, the bus still smells like a bus - that unusual mix of sweat, dirt, vehicle and people.

If you decide to strip any of the seats of leather, etc., bear in min that this is a 60 year old bus, one of the last of its kind in the world; moreover, this particular bus once held civil rights leaders and student activists as they traveled across the American South doing sit-ins. It's truly a one of a kind artefact, worth hundreds of thousands if not millions to a museum and holding a special place in history. Are you sure you want to destroy it?

The Staff-Only Door:
It's unlocked, and to the right of the door inside you find a large panel of numerous switches. In addition to that, there are piles of scrap material from building pedestals and wall sections. A little table holds empty water bottles (the reusable kind), a bowl of ketchup and mustard packets, and other things that museum employees might want to grab quickly on break. The "room" is really more of a corridor, leading due south to closed double-doors.

(Lordhenry, if you do go back to the hallway and head down by the stairs you can see these double doors from the other side. They're across the hall from the elevator.)

Breaking the pedestal: he pedestal is likely made of particle board covered by veneer. You could break through it with enough chopping from the paper cleaver, but the noise would be tremendous. Sure you wanna do it?

DrizztFan24
2008-11-10, 10:52 AM
Sorry but my life wins over bus. I won't destroy it yet but if I need to then it's nothing more than a pile of scrap. I'll continue throught the staff only area exploring each room as I come across it. Still sneaky.

EDIT: Oh and all switches get thrown to the ON position.

Zorander
2008-11-10, 12:39 PM
I grab the packets and as many empty bottles as I can put in my briefcase. I examine the light switch panel, looking for lables showing which switches will liight up the room and turn those on. Otherwise, I will turn on the switches one at a time, checking to see if any lights in the exhibit room go on.

Another_Poet
2008-11-10, 01:03 PM
The labels aren't very straightforward, being mere letter/number combinations, but with some trial and error you get all the lights on in the exhibit and the staff-only corridor. There are also some switches that seem to control heat/airflow, and others that have no noticeable effect.

Zorander
2008-11-10, 01:18 PM
I leave the light and unknown switches in the 'on' position and take some of the scrap material and lean it against the double doors as a kind of alarm. I use more against the other doors in the exhibit room, then I explore the room for any other items, looking for thin ropes, marbles, more wire.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-10, 07:09 PM
The Bus:
It's hard to see anything at all inside the bus. If you hold up your lighter you can see that the gas guage is on "E". You find no flashlight or any other detachable, useable goods.

The seats are old cracked leather, damaged in many places. It's funny how even after years of being out of service, the bus still smells like a bus - that unusual mix of sweat, dirt, vehicle and people.

If you decide to strip any of the seats of leather, etc., bear in min that this is a 60 year old bus, one of the last of its kind in the world; moreover, this particular bus once held civil rights leaders and student activists as they traveled across the American South doing sit-ins. It's truly a one of a kind artefact, worth hundreds of thousands if not millions to a museum and holding a special place in history. Are you sure you want to destroy it?

I make a small knife mark saying "Call *insert my phone number* for a good time" on bottom of one of the seats.

Prometheus
2008-11-11, 01:14 AM
I really don't know how to interpret Starbuck_II's comment, and I'm going to go on and assume it bears no contempt for historical events. I would, however, open up the seats if I needed to. After all, this history will probably dwarf all other histories, after all. No trashcans huh? How about in the exhibits.

Since I made noises earlier, I decide to break open the pedestal, holding the lighter in my left hand. I close the Exhibit 3 door so the sound doesn't travel beyond the area. Of course, if there is a zombie in here, I'm probably dead. If There is a trashcan, I will instead create a bonfire and search the rest of the area (and find what the others did).

Dr Bwaa
2008-11-11, 03:11 PM
I turn on all the switches I can find, thankful that I found them. Without further ado (or even checking outside), I explore the rest of this corridor (if there's really anything to explore). I don't hack apart the pedestal because I (A) don't want to dull my blade and (B) don't see how much use it would be to me; I've already got better equipment than anything I could make of it. So, with all the switches on, I head for the double doors at the end of the corridor. If they're unlocked, I crack them open enough to use my spoon-mirror to look at what's beyond them (opting for the spoon rather than the real mirror certain people have because the convex surface affords a larger view.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-11, 09:18 PM
I really don't know how to interpret Starbuck_II's comment, and I'm going to go on and assume it bears no contempt for historical events.

I was joking. My inner Belkar so to speak.

I turn the lights on, of course. What does the heat switch do? Like a temperature gauge?

Another_Poet
2008-11-12, 10:01 AM
Breaking the pedestal:
The action of hacking through the particle board upsets the three devices arranged atop it. The radio and laptop have a low enough centre of balance that they just slide around a little. The TV, however, slides more then you expected and tips over, falling off the ground hitting the floor with a crash. The noise damn near scares the life out of you before you see what it was.

(Before anyone asks, there are vaccuum tubes inside the TV, most of them still intact despite their fall. The screen however is shattered, allowing you to reach right in for them if you want them.)

Prying apart the cracked pedestal and being more careful of the radio & laptop, you see that there is some equipment underneath. An AV cord from the TV leads to a DVD player beneath the pedestal. The radio and laptop only have power cords, which (along with the TV and DVD power cords) run into a small groove on the floor, covered by carpet to mask it, and eventually into a wall section.

If you look in the very back of the broken TV you will find that someone modified it to accept input from the DVD signal rather than from its antenna.

If you restore power to the room, you'll see that the laptop and radio can be powered on. The laptop is locked, and the hacks you used to access staff network profiles on the office computers don't really apply here. It seems as if the ctrl, alt, and/or delete buttons have been completely disabled as well.

The eject button for the CD-rom tray on the laptop has also been disabled. Apparently the exhibit design guys know how to visitor-proof a laptop display.

Through the double doors:
Looking out through the double-doors at the south end of the staff-only corridor, you can see the main 3F hall and the top of the stairs. Directly across from you are the south elevators and another set of staff-only double-doors.

Major edit:
I forgot to mention - there's an airplane. Yep, a whole friggin' airplane, and I totally forgot to say anything. It's a WWI biplane, and it hangs from the ceiling of the great hall (directly over the octagonal cutaway that can be seen on 2F on the map, but much much higher up). The airplane is suspended by thin metal cables from the roof, tilted at an angle to show off more of the machine, and some 80 feet higher than the 3f floor underneath it.

Exploring Exhibit 3:
The exhibit is much as you remember it from when you walked through 8 months ago. The exit (the door you came in through) is sort of a "what they accomplished" finale; the area near the staff doors has more about the experiences of veterans trying to adjust to life after coming home from WWII., and what the "boom time" was like for everyone. Moving counter-clockwise you go through the extensive WWII section, which includes approximately equal attention for the actual war and the civilians back at "the home front."

Beyond the WWII section is a bunch of stuff about the Great Depression, which has some of the most striking photographs and firsthand tales in the entire exhibit. Past that is the other set of doors that lead back out of the exhibit.

Throughout the place are computer kiosks. Each one has a four different screens set into a hand-built casing so that no CPU or keyboard is visible. The screens are touch-screens, and allow visitors to play video of interviews with/stories from various octogenarians who lived through the time period in question.

Of some possible interest are two artefacts in the WWII area: one, a stnadard issue American assault rifle from the war which, along with its bayonet and several (probably inert) hand grenades, is behind glass; the other, an entire armoured half-track. Enjoy!

No one jumps out at you as you explore the exhibit area.

Zorander
2008-11-12, 11:29 AM
I take several vacuum tubes, and scrounge the ethernet cabling (are they standard 6 ft length?) from all the kiosks, looking to get the wire from inside. I break the display case and take the assault rifle and hand grenades, putting most in the briefcase or my pockets. I search the halftrack for equipment (webbing, backpack, any containers). I try to unplug the power cord that runs along the floor and coil it up.

Prometheus
2008-11-12, 02:21 PM
After making so much noise with the podium, it was probably just as dangerous to venture through the dark and turn on the lights. I check the DVD drive in the pedestal for any CDs or DVDs it might contain. I turn on the radio, seeing if I can pick up any stations (or did we already try that with a real radio?) I don't see what vacuum tubes are worth, but I don't want to touch that capacitor just yet.

I check the assault rifle for ammo, detach the bayonette and pocket it, pull the pin on one of the grenades and throw it as far as I can. I inspect the half-track for useful detachable things, similar to the run-down for the bus. I also look for thinks I can easiler detach, such as webbing, cloth, set-cushions etc.

Are there any mannequin's holding useful props? Can I assume I find a trashcan somewhere? Is it metal? I see if I can find a metal bar (on the half-track, bus, or a display) and how much progress attempting to saw into it with the cleaver gets me.

Is there any lighting that is attached to the wall via a power-cord to a socket rather than going directly into the wall? If so, I detach it and see if any of the cords near the pedestal (or connected to any other display item) can act as extension cords.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-12, 04:34 PM
I check the assault rifle for ammo, detach the bayonette and pocket it, pull the pin on one of the grenades and throw it as far as I can. I inspect the half-track for useful detachable things, similar to the run-down for the bus. I also look for thinks I can easiler detach, such as webbing, cloth, set-cushions etc.

Your throwing genades? Isn't that dangerous in case some aren't inert/fake?

You could blow the building up!

Another_Poet
2008-11-13, 10:33 AM
When searching the halftrack you not only find it is completely empty, you also see that the engine has been removed!

There is a trashcan in the staff-only corridor, bingo. It is made of plastic and is lined with a plastic bag, IUt's a small, wastebasket-sized can (knee height). There are also two recycling cans, which are taller (waist height) and made of plastic as well

There is a DVD in the DVD player. It's a homemade DVD with the title of the exhibit written on it in marker.

The radio does not play and can't even be turned on.

There are no lamps or plug-in lights in the exhibit, only the built-in lighting.

There's lots of other interesting stuff around, and sure, there's a metal bar on the half-track. Sawing it with the (toothless) paper cleaver, however, will only destroy the cleaver.

For those of you who grab the rifle, I did say it was behind glass so I have to assume you break the glass. Wailing on it with the cleaver should do. As soon as the cleaver impact the glass, however, you set off an alarum. Small emergency lights come on. In addition to a slide-whistle-esque alarum noise, the following audio plays:

"This is an evacuation. Please proceed to the nearest exit or staircase. The elevators are not in service. This is an evacuation..." and so on and so on.

There are no bullets in the rifle's chamber or magazine. A single bullet is displayed on the wall beside it, so you can grab that. You also notice a tiny tag ont he rifle, obn the side that faced the wall so no visitors could see it, with its item number in the archives. Its bayonet is already detached, also on the wall beside it.

When you throw a grenade (is there some sort of roach penalty I can impose on you??) you die. Okay not really, it doesn't explode, it just skitters along the ground and rolls underneath some display case. Guess that one was inert.

If anyone leaves the exhibit, you will see/hear the the alarum and emergency lights are also going off throughout the entire rest of the building, as far as you can see.

Prometheus
2008-11-13, 11:18 AM
lol. I figured grenades were meant to be thrown far enough that it wouldn't hurt me, since it turned out to be inert that was worth knowing. I don't have a roach yet, but feel free to deduct any that I might get if you thought that was extraordinarily stupid to risk it going off in my hand or causing an unintended catastrophe. I leave the other grenades behind. I load the bullet into the assault rifle and take it with me. It probably won't work either, but if I am in the situation where I need to use it, It'll be worth a try. The alarms will probably get annoying quick, but it's probably worth it (I may have to break more yet).

If you're saying that you think I can trade the cleaver for the metal bar, than I do that. If you're saying that I will lose the cleaver if I try any more and it's dubious whether or not I will get it, than I don't. If you're saying that I've already ruined my cleaver testing it out, so be it.

If the DVD is a DVD-RW than I will put it into the next office computer. There is a small chance that someone recorded something, burnt it over the exhibit DVD, and meant for the next humanoid to see it. If it is a DVD-R, however, it's not what I'm looking for and I leave it.

I don't need to create a bonfire yet, since I have the lights in this room, but I remember it for next time. If I burn it, I know there is a good chance that the fire will melt through the bottom after a short while or burnt my hands. I believe that my senses will alert me of pain long before the risk of getting burnt gets beyond cosmetic.

I leave the exhibit and go on to the next one (Exhibit 1?)

Another_Poet
2008-11-13, 11:39 AM
No I was joking about a roach penalty. I won't fault you for making decisions that don't get you killed. And if they do get you killed, that's punishment enough.

Your cleaver isn't wrecked, I figured you would look at it and realise it wouldn't hold up to that kind of abuse. So you have a working cleaver and no metal bar.

What office are you putting the DVD in? Walking back to 4F?

And you're the first to get out of Exhibit 3 so we'll move on over to Exhibit 1 as requested. Will post soon.

DrizztFan24
2008-11-13, 03:20 PM
I've missed a couple of updates it seems.... I would have checked the half-track for any vests or arms I could have gathered. With the rifle I would check the bottom of the display case for an alarm box. Lemme know if I found one. The grenades I wont even bother with, there is no way there would be live munitions in the display case. But if the bayonet is free on the wall I will totally be taking that. If it is in another display case I will have to check it for a box as well. I know about museum security and I would rather not have to throw breakers to get the thing to shut off.

Another_Poet
2008-11-13, 03:41 PM
Drizztfan: Yes, with some examination you can tell that breaking the glass (or probably even just pounding on it) would set off an alarum.

The rifle, bullet, bayonet and grenades are all behind the glass.

Prometheuss, what office are you putting that DVD in?

DrizztFan24
2008-11-13, 03:54 PM
Am I able to find a security box on the bottom of the case at all? I want to find a way around the security without having to reset breakers. The fewer things you mess with then the fewer things that can go wrong :smallwink:

Prometheus
2008-11-13, 06:17 PM
Prometheus, what office are you putting that DVD in? I realize there is nothing in the room with an accessible DVD drive, I'm assuming I'll encounter one eventually on the first-floor offices (or library or classroom...) Unless I see an unstoppable mob of zombies downstairs, that will probably be easier to get to than the third floor ones we passed. I'm in no hurry to get there immediately, so I'll sweep this floor with everyone else. I take it that it is a DVD-RW (or that I can't tell what type it is) and I'm carrying it with me.

Dr Bwaa
2008-11-13, 07:58 PM
Hmm, I've been very confused and I think I figured out why. Ah well. I head for the south elevator, call it (check inside), and go for the Staff-only door next to it. My plan is to circumnavigate the floor in a logical, easy pattern so I don't miss anything (effectively, I'm turning right at every opportunity while staying on 3F--this should allow me to find about everything there is to find. My main goal is making sure this place is safe, for now; figuring out what's going on will happen on its own, I think. So, I head through the staff door at the south elevator (using the spoon as usual).

OOC: I'll get to the rest of the floor eventually so I'll just post the stuff I'm doing there when I get there-I'm a very logical guy, and a CS major-meaning that I will do this in the most efficient way possible, eve if it isn't efficient in OOC terms :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2008-11-25, 05:35 PM
It's been almost two weeks, and I apologise. For any of you following this game, here's your update - as warned, this game slows/pauses whenever my workload picks up.

I'm going to put each of the remaining 3F rooms in a spoiler box below. Go to whichever you like. Be warned that, by opening a spoiler box, you may trigger an event - if you do, be honest and post your reaction to the event.

Not every item and detail of a room will be mentioned in its spoiler box. If you ask for more detail on something, I'll try to oblige you.

Remember, the alarums are still going off!

Exhibit 1 - Music

This exhibit seems a little strange on paper, but it's well executed. Various antique instruments and the favoured instruments of several famous musicians adorn one wall; a mock recording studio with AV exhibit forms a little side-room in another wall. A central feature of the first room of the exhibit is a stage with a 60's style theme, and info on all sorts of musical groups that got their start playing the local circuits in your state.

Farther back, an alcove features racks of CDs to illustrate the inside of a modern record store; it's a rather cheesy tribute to one of the museum's sponsors, a major electronics chain.

Past that, however, is one of the coolest rooms in the whole museum: an exact reconstruction of a 1950's malt shop. Mueum guests can sit on the sparkly red vinyl-upholsetered booths and select songs from an ancient jukebox. The area is normally kept dimly lit and atmospheric and there is space for couples to dance. It's a cozy space, with a real night life feel to it.

Past that is a small room with info on music in the 1800's, with a special focus on traveling circuses. A pipe organ and some interesting pneumatic-powered self-playing instruments are installed in the displays.

From there, a door leads to the rear end of Exhibit 2, the Weather exhibit.

The exhibit is dimly lit by emergency lights triggered by the alarum.

Exhibit 2 - Weather

The Weather exhibit is aimed mostly at kids. It consists of two main rooms that are only loosely divided. The rooms have meteorological information about different types of clouds and storms, all paintred on the wall in bright and easy-to-understand murals. There's a field of pinwheels, weathercocks and similar air-moved items, and guests can aim "wind guns" (actually small but high-powered fans on pivots) to send the things spinning, turning, blowing and jingling.

The other half of the exhibit is more artefact-based: ceremonial items used by Native Americans to honour weather spirits, 200 year old almanacs, earkly barometers and other meteorological information - that kind of thing.

The highlight of the exhibit is a small room set within one of the larger rooms. Guests go in and find themselves in a perfect replica of an ordinary country cellar. Every 2 minutes a sound-and-light show begins that simulates being trapped in the cellar during a twister. Radio broadcasts, lightning through the tiny window, wind noises, eery sky colour, crashing and tearing from above the ceiling, the whole works. It scares the poop out of little kids, sometimes literally. Of course it's powered off right now, and you find there are no emergency lights inside - it is almost perfectly dark.

At the back of the Weather exhibit is a door that connects with the back of Exhibit 1, the Music exhibit.

The whole area is dimly by emergency lights triggered by the alarum.

3rd floor main hallway - north end
Outside the Weather exhibit is a full-sized windmill. Not the modern supergenerator kind, the last-century farm kind. It's about 45 feet tall and connected on the bottom to a pump housing; originally it was used to power a well.

3rd floor main hallway - south end

If you spend time hanging around the stairs... (by the blue X that marks your "rope")

Event:
...you might look down over the opposite railing and get a good look at the north 2nd floor doors. A figure can be seen just outside them, very much alive and cupping his hands to his face to see inside with no glare from the glass.

Staff-only area in the SE corner

This is mostly an empty room, with a few carts and empty boxes against one wall. There's also a storage shelving unit made of metal, but nothing is being stored there these days.

The only thing of interest here is he cargo elevator. It isn't currently on this floor, and you know from experience that it takes a long, long time to get called to a floor.

This area, which I am dubbing [B]3F Storage Area, is dimly lit by emergency lights.

If you are ready to move to 2F let me know!

DrizztFan24
2008-11-26, 10:11 AM
Well I'll hit the staff area first and then go down the list.
First order of business though is that bayonet. I want to get that thing out of the box without setting off alarms. If I manage to then I will go ahead and see if it is sharp. If it still has an edge then I will affix it to the end of my broomhandle. Lemme know if I should even bother, if so, then Ill describe the process.

Staff area-Cool for storage but uncool for empty storage...Darn regulations and such. I really was hoping for a box of ammo or something.

Music-searching but not destroying. Nothing of much use except strings, and those will be too short for much.

Weather-Awesome. Nothing of use but still cool.

Windmill-Still cool and still not too helpful. I need to make it to a police station or a pawn shop. Get myself a ranged weapon.

Railing-Holy Crap! Looks of the individual? Or too far? If I can't tell then I will be moving my butt down to 2F as fast as I can. I won't show that I am here until I can judge the looks of the individual and see what they are carrying. If they have a laptop case or such then it might be the gas station guy. If it a baddie then I will have to insure that they don't escape with information about a crazy museum. I don't like it when bad guys take interest in my hideouts.:smallwink:

Another_Poet
2008-11-26, 11:01 AM
DrizztFan:

The bayonet looks sharp, but getting it out will set off alarums.

Sorry, I forgot that not everyone had broken the glass and set off the alarum - if you opt not to, the otherexhibits are still pitch dark and there is no individual at the door on 2F. Let me know what you choose...

DrizztFan24
2008-11-26, 02:58 PM
In that case, I want to go back and check the fusebox/panel for given room and will switch the power to OFF. Once the power is off I will go back and break the glass. While I am at the box I will also check for a security room to switch off also, I assume I don't know where the alarm gets its power from.

Actually, I will switch off every room except the ones that I know have electrical equipment in them that I know I need. Then bust the glass and get both the gun and the bayonet. Gun will be dead weight for now but I might find a box of ammo in the basement or somesuch.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-27, 11:59 AM
First, I'd like to say, happy turkey day everyone.

I don't set off the alrms: I don't need to cause unneccesary noise.

I check the Weather room. Are the "wind-guns" mounted? I try to see how they are connected to see if I find the power button for lights.

Another_Poet
2008-12-01, 03:43 PM
The Button Panel in the staff-only corridor behind the WWII exhibit

It's a panel of light switches and power switches. It can be used to turn on, turn off, or dim all the lights in the exhibit. It can also be used to turn on/off the power to the AV exhibits. However, that's all it is - a fancy collection of light switches. The fuse box is nowhere to be seen and, for obvious reasons, there is no switch to break the alarum circuit in the hallway where $10/hour part-time staff hang out.

Drizzt fan - hope the above clarifies the situation

Starbuck - When you enter the Weather exhibit it is pitch-black because you haven't set off any alarums. However, by leaving the door open and using your lighter you can find your way around. The wind guns are mounted on rods bolted to the floor, allowing them to turn 180 degrees and angle up or down but not be removed. If unbolted they would be more portable, but who knows how long the wires are....

In the rear of the weather exhibit you find a staff-only door that is simply painted the same colour as the wall. It's locked but can easily be broken in by some good shoulder smashing, and leads to a small narrow corridor behind the Weather and Music exhibits. This corridor has a similar collection of power switches just like the other staff corridor. This corridor is much smaller, however, with no break area and nothing else of interest.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-02, 10:05 AM
Drat. Well in that case I will go ahead and remove the glass from the container, but I won't smash it if I can simply lift it off. If I must smash it then so be it. But then I will proceed as mentioned above.

Another_Poet
2008-12-02, 10:32 AM
Well then, it's smashed. *apologetic smile*

Guns it is!

Anyone else doing anything on 3F or shall we finally move down to 2F as per Dizzt's request?

Starbuck_II
2008-12-02, 11:16 AM
Starbuck - When you enter the Weather exhibit it is pitch-black because you haven't set off any alarums. However, by leaving the door open and using your lighter you can find your way around. The wind guns are mounted on rods bolted to the floor, allowing them to turn 180 degrees and angle up or down but not be removed. If unbolted they would be more portable, but who knows how long the wires are....

In the rear of the weather exhibit you find a staff-only door that is simply painted the same colour as the wall. It's locked but can easily be broken in by some good shoulder smashing, and leads to a small narrow corridor behind the Weather and Music exhibits. This corridor has a similar collection of power switches just like the other staff corridor. This corridor is much smaller, however, with no break area and nothing else of interest.

I first try to unbolt the wind gun to see how long the wires go: It might be a good weapon/toy to play with as I walk.

Next, I'll try the shoulder smashing.
Are any of the switches labeled? I'll try them all till I get a little power to the lights.

Another_Poet
2008-12-02, 12:50 PM
Since you have a Leatherman (I keep forgetting about that thing) unbolting a wind gun is easy. You find it has about 20' of extra cord, and you also realise that from the base of the axel it was on the cord runs into an easily-destroyed drywall partition around the edgeof the exhibit. With a little smashing and pulling you find where to cord plugs into a normal wall socket hidden behind the drywall. It has 40' total leength and you can now take it to any other socket and use it.

The wind gun is about as powerful as a hair drier, but the air it puts out isn't hot and it's much quieter. Still makes noticeable noise - but not like a typical hair drier.

The control panel is actually relatively easily to decipher and soon you havwe the lights on in both exhibits. You can also get the jukebox fired up now, should you choose to.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-02, 02:34 PM
Does the gun have eyelets for a strap? or is a strap on the gun? and what type of gun was it again? American leaves some open to debate. B.A.R.? M1 Garand? M1A1 Carbine? Thompson? Springfield? It is an actual assault rifle or is it just a big gun? :smallsmile:

If there are eyelets then I am going to rig up a shoulder strap for the rifle with the wires from the gun and a bit of tape. Other than that I suggest moving down. Starbuck and I seem to be the only folks left. :smallfrown:

Another_Poet
2008-12-02, 03:17 PM
It's an M1 Garand (.30 calibre, 8-round clip (there's an empty clip in the display), yes on the eyelets).

Starbuck_II
2008-12-03, 08:11 AM
I want to briefly look at the music exhibit now that lights are on.
Assuming I see no one:

I'll take the organ if not locked up, never played before but no time like the apocolypse. :smallbiggrin:

After that, I will probably go down to next floor.

If I see someone standard protocols: are they human, etc. Keep broom handy to knock them to a side before I can draw my knife.
Or roll near a outlet and blast them with air gun. That may distract them.

Another_Poet
2008-12-03, 10:09 AM
If you hadn't already, as you go downstairs you both see...

...a good look at the north 2nd floor doors. A figure can be seen just outside them, very much alive and cupping his hands to his face to see inside with no glare from the glass.

Okay, it looks like you both have roughly the same plan: head downstairs and try to ID the person before acting. Drizztfan mentioned staying out of sight if possible, but that'll be hard if you leave the bottom of the stairs.

If you stay on the stairs, you are out of sight. You can also head SE toward the library area without being seen.

If you go to get a better look...

The figure is not carrying anything, and is dressed in disheveled casual clothing. No sign of aggression and looks healthy.

Also on a 5 or a 6....
[roll0]
...nothing.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-04, 09:58 AM
How big is this window? If it is a wall of full length windows then I will sneak aorund the edge of the room and knock on a panel a few windows down. If this is a tiny window then I will casually step up to it while staring the person in the window in the face. I want them to know that I see them. Each time I will have my bayonet/broomhandle contraption by my side but ready for a quick retrieval. I wan't to establish that the person won't freak and jump thorugh the window at me or anything.

But before night falls we will need to get that alarm shut off.

Another_Poet
2008-12-04, 10:06 AM
The person is actually standing at a door, which happens to be made of glass (with a metal frame). There are 2 such double doors in a row (so four individual doors) and a door-sized window on either side, making 6 panels total. In addition the wall above the doors is glass window. The walls to either side, however, are stone.

So I'm guessing you're going with the "tap ont he glass a few panes down" approach.

As you get closer to the door, the person squints and sees you. He puts his hands against the glass and falls down to his knees, looking exhausted.

He turns his head to follow your movement as you walk up to the window next to him. When you tap on the window, he reaches out with his closest hand and seems to almost be grasping at the air. His movements are weary, slow, and desperate.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-04, 10:15 AM
I'll make it obvious that I am checking the surrounding area for anyone/thing that I can see. I don't want do have to bump some uglies because I am helping a survivor. If I don't see anything hiding a ways off then I will go ahead and let the guy in at bayonet point.
and...
Begin "The Questioning!"[/ominous voice]

obliged_salmon
2008-12-04, 10:41 AM
DUDE, he's probably turning into a zombie RIGHT NOW. You can't let him in.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-04, 10:44 AM
Hence bayonet point.

Have you read the combat rules for this game? As long as it is super awesome and cinematically described you usually survive. This is a very freeform game with awesome rules. So as long as I make the ensuing combat of epic-coolness I SHOULD be ok.

Starbuck_II
2008-12-04, 10:47 AM
I have my tuba and broom so I can handle my self I think so I will casually walk toward the man (staying behind the glass).

I will ask,
1) can you talk?
2) Why are you here
3) Are you hungry/thirsty?
4) What the heck happened to this city? (I know some event did)

Is the glass hard to hear through it?

Another_Poet
2008-12-08, 12:30 PM
Questioning through the door:

The man turns slowly to regard you, walks up to the glass and pushes his hands against it weakly. He whimpers and manages to say, "Please...!"

Letting him in:

A similar sad display, but with no words on his part. He manages to wobble through the doors, before giving out his whimper and collapsing only a few paces inside the entranceway. He seems unaware of your bayonet and almost falls on the thing as he drops to the ground.

Checking him will reveal a pulse and normal breathing.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-08, 05:33 PM
Does he have a fever?

If he does not then I will offer him food and water and try to revivify him.

Starbuck_II
2008-12-08, 08:18 PM
Does he have a fever?

If he does not then I will offer him food and water and try to revivify him.

What if he is contagious by touch or breathing?

Maybe we should get rid of any chance just in case: Kill it with fire!

Just kidding, I may worry about infection but I couldn't burn a man.

I try to pick the man up (by the back in case he is infected and bites) and walk him to a chair on 2nd floor.
Then I hurry and get him some water in a cup (I had a few from before) from a water fountain.
I keep my eyes out in case he awakes (don't want him running off in case this is a trap).

Once I get the water, I try to pour a little down his throat: just small bit in case he needs water.

Another_Poet
2008-12-09, 10:12 AM
The man has no fever, he only seems fatigued and perhaps dehydrated.

You mostly drag him down the hall to a couch in the SW corner of 2F (near the round opening in the floor that looks down - there are two couches and a small table where people can take a break or wait for friends).

Once he is in the chair he finally seems to catch his breath and he croaks a dry-throated "Thank you" at you.

You go and fill up a cup of water, but when you return he is...

...asleep. Out like a stone.

Starbuck's attempt to pour some water down his throat is messy, but it goes down and does not wake him.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-09, 11:37 AM
I'll return to the front door and relock it if I haven't already done so. From here on out I will be keeping close tabs on him until I am able to trust him. For the next half-hour I will stand guard behind him incase he is faking, very few people would pretend to sleep that long. After that I will leave on one hour search trips as previously indicated and return to the man at the end of each hour.

Another_Poet
2008-12-09, 11:52 AM
When you go and check the door you let him in through, you confirm that it is already locked from the outside (and, in fact, you have no way of unlocking it, though it opens easily from the inside.

Your half-hour vigil only reveals that the man does not toss or turn in his sleep at all. He gives out occasional weak snoring noises but seems to be completely out, in a heavy and deep slumber.

I'm sorry, which areas of 2F did you want to go to next?

Starbuck_II
2008-12-09, 01:39 PM
I also take shifts of watching him and exploring as he doesn't seem to be in the mood for information yet.

I'll also check to make sure door stays lock.

As I do this I think back to the man I locked outside: was he sick or did he just lose his voice and try to bang his way back in?
Can't chance it in case he is infected...may... he be okay.

I'll use the bathroom now: one to wash my hands in case he was dirty and two because I think my character hasn't peed in a while.

Um, the map link isn't working on 1st page...I tried the link twice and it looks blank for me.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-09, 02:00 PM
Good idea to wash the hands, I hadn't thought of that. I also can't access the map, but I can't because I am at school and images aren't allowed through the filter.

Let's just go in a clockwise fashion.

Another_Poet
2008-12-09, 02:00 PM
I just checked on the map. It's showing up for me, both in miniature form in the post, and in its full scale form if you click on the link. However, both took ungodly long times to load. I suspect bandwidth problems with the hosting site - hopefully they're temporary.

If you click on it and give it a minute to load you should be OK.

Starbuck, did you go the the staff-only bathroom on 2F near the emergency stairs, or to the public bathroom?

Starbuck_II
2008-12-09, 04:42 PM
Map works again, Lailo ho! (always wondered if the dwarfs were calling me a ho when they said that)

I'm trying the staff bathroom I guess. Is it unlocked? (hard to remember but I think yes).

Another_Poet
2008-12-09, 04:56 PM
You haven't checked out the 2F staff bathroom yet, but it's in the same position as the 3F one. You go through an unlocked staff-only door, down a short hall and into the unlocked bathroom near the fire stairs. You wash up, do your business and wash up again.

On the way back, however, you notice a door that you've walked past dozens of times since you started working here. Yet... you've never seen what's on the other side. It's just a plain, unmarked wooden door.

If not interested, then specify a different destination.

Starbuck_II
2008-12-09, 06:28 PM
You haven't checked out the 2F staff bathroom yet, but it's in the same position as the 3F one. You go through an unlocked staff-only door, down a short hall and into the unlocked bathroom near the fire stairs. You wash up, do your business and wash up again.

On the way back, however, you notice a door that you've walked past dozens of times since you started working here. Yet... you've never seen what's on the other side. It's just a plain, unmarked wooden door.

If not interested, then specify a different destination.
I forgot to mention that I left my tuba by the sick dude. (easier to walk around that way)

Sure, I'll check the door. Is it locked?

I put my ear to the door to listen if there is any movement inside.
Maybe, this whole experience was a surprise party!

Assuming I hear nothing: I open the door.

If I hear something, I yell surprise as I open it with one hand on my broom in case there is trouble.

Another_Poet
2008-12-10, 11:12 AM
Starbuck:

Welcome to the security room.

You open the door to find a well-lit room with rows of small black-and-white TVs on two walls. The screens show all different locations around the museum. There are also two computers (both showing screensavers right now, if you check they are locked, if you use hax it is a normal desktop like any other, except that the two monitors share a single desktop - i.e. you can mouse off of one screen and onto the other).

There are two rolling office chairs - one in the middle of the room and the other pushd in to the desk.

There are also several coffee mugs, one with thick, syrupy stale coffee in it. Several magazines and books lay next to the coffee mugs on a side-table. A row of coat pegs adorns the wall.

Starbuck_II
2008-12-12, 09:23 AM
Is there any movement on the computers?
Are any of the cameras showing anything important looking?

If not, I'll be back later (this could be very useful for protecting the place if attacked).

I'll check up on the man.

Another_Poet
2008-12-12, 10:33 AM
Sorry, I forgot some important stuff on that. Yes:

Both of the computer screens have a small dialogue box with a alert message. One of the two screens also has an open window that apparently controls the alarum system. It indicates that the alarum has been triggered from the WWII Generation exhibit, and that the police and fire department have been automatically called. There is no obvious way to turn off the alarum - it must be some command that people learn by being trained on the software.

You can actually see the man on the corner of one of the security monitor screens. He is still asleep, it appears.

Starbuck_II
2008-12-17, 08:13 PM
I'm lucky I didn't hit any alarms :smallbiggrin:

So are there any magazines from this month or last? Could be news...

(I may not post much this week or next due to going to Disney).

Another_Poet
2008-12-18, 01:22 PM
Yep, the magazines are all pretty current but they're things like Time, Nat'l Geo, etc. None of them have cutting-edge news from the past week.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-01, 11:54 AM
Okay, so now I know that it was this week that the disaster happened. :smallbiggrin:

*btw Disney rocked*

I'm not sure what else to do. So I guess I'll relax in the chair for a bit. I've been doing alot of walking (I'm sure I'm tired).

As I relax I check the monitors (make sure everything is good).

Another_Poet
2009-01-02, 10:31 AM
Hey, alright! I thought I was gonna have to call it quits on this....

[roll0] Let's see......

Another_Poet
2009-01-02, 10:33 AM
((With another lucky roll...))

As you sit and watch the monitors you eventually notice a human figure. It's a man in a security guard outfit. He's lying, unmoving, against a wall in what you're sure it some part of the basement. Can't tell if he's dead or alive.... and, in fact, it's hard to tell which hallway he is in. How do these security guards know hat they're looking at?

Oh, of course. There is a small code in the bottom corner of each monitor screen. Codes with which you are unfamiliar.

DrizztFan24
2009-01-03, 01:25 PM
So can we just assume that I eventually make it to this point? Then I can post and won't have to wait forever.:smallwink:

Another_Poet
2009-01-03, 02:12 PM
(Yep, no problem.)

Starbuck_II
2009-01-19, 09:29 AM
Hmm, so do I go down and see if the security guard is unconsciuous, dead, or a monster (I still think it might be zombies).

On one hand, I can wait and ask the dude for information here and stay safe.

On the other hand, the security guy knows the codes for the machines and what every button means.

But on the one foot: he could attack me and I have no idea where he is.

Although, on the other foot: I need to explore anyway.

I'm going to look for the basement man: I can always run back to the sleeping guy if I can't find the way down.
I guess use the stairs down to 1st floor (assuming no locks or barriers block my way)

And then look for a way to the basement.

Another_Poet
2009-01-27, 04:33 PM
Okay, to continue with the plan I'll need to know two things.

-Is there anything else you want to do in the big, wide world of Area 3 before you leave to enter the basement?

-How will you try to enter the basement? There are the fire stairs (but the door to the basement levels is probably locked from the stairwell side); the elevators (but they are in security mode); the cargo elevator (you haven't checked it yet); possibly other ays (you haven't searched all areas yet); going outside and trying to access the basement via the loading dock (your staf card should open the security door there); or some other crazy plan of your own devising.

Once you've answered both I can tell you what you find.

edit: yes you can access 1st floor. That will also count as a new area.