PDA

View Full Version : Gothic

Bouregard
2008-10-30, 05:13 PM
All those Dungeon Keeper, X_com and Baldurs Gate threads just made me dig throught the big pile of old an' dusty games I never played the last 5years. and well i find a nice little pearl. the good old Gothic. Currently I reinstall it. So maybe is there somebody who also played it? I recon it was originaly only released in german language and then later translated. It was a really great game, big detailed world, fully voiced and a genius story.

Prustan
2008-10-31, 05:48 AM
Got the three Gothic games in a pack. Gothic 1 was a bust, as I couldn't pick up anything with the screwy controls. Gothic 2 was okay, but I died without saving, so I left it for a bit - probably come back to it later. Gothic 3 is much improved, though I haven't yet come across anything that'll actually kill me instead of knocking me out for a bit.

Kizara
2008-10-31, 06:17 AM
Got the three Gothic games in a pack. Gothic 1 was a bust, as I couldn't pick up anything with the screwy controls. Gothic 2 was okay, but I died without saving, so I left it for a bit - probably come back to it later. Gothic 3 is much improved, though I haven't yet come across anything that'll actually kill me instead of knocking me out for a bit.

So, what kind of game is it? Action RPG; Tome Raider style?

SolkaTruesilver
2008-10-31, 06:21 AM
I played Gothic 3 for quite a bit some time ago, but the game is darn tough. Combat is very un-forgiving..

But all in all, it's very enjoyable experience. Except when you face trolls and giants.

Bouregard
2008-10-31, 06:23 AM
The controls for Gothic 1 are fairly simple if you know them (yes, unusual)

Basicaly you can play the whole game with directions, 1-4 and ctrl, alt.

walking is simple up down, left right.

Using something is focusing it so that the name apperas or it highlight (much like the thief series) and then press ctrl+forward

fighting is easy draw your weapon with 1, then attack a forward slash with ctrl+forward, leftattack is ctrl+left and rightattack is ctrl+right. You can do comboattacks as soon as you learn combattraits.

The difficult from part 1 is simple. just push anything into strength and learn onehandcombat. The whole game is then fairly easy/light difficult.

Part 2 with addon is extremly hard for people not used to Gothic gameplay.
While without addon it can be beaten like part 1 easily.

I don't like part 3 very well. Its a normal RPG but story is kinda weak.
Difficult depends. A mage is after the first few hours nearly unstopable.

So, what kind of game is it? Action RPG; Tome Raider style?

Talking with NPC's is fairly important, the conversations are pretty good. Sometimes a little harsh language, but hey its a prison! Oh andwatch what you say. Pretty you do had some consequences.

There are jump&run elements in the late game, but fairly enyoable, you have to fight and all wrapped up in a good story.

closest would be morrowind with other controls, a little bit smaller world but on the other hand much more detailled.

if anyone is interested I could produce a little photostory like the "let's play Baldurs Gate" thread.

Jokes
2008-10-31, 08:33 AM
I absolutely love the Gothic series. It took me forever to track down a copy of Gothic II, but it's easily my favourite game of all time. Gothic 1 was impossible to find until the box set came out, it was apparently banned here because of the patch that makes the women (yeah, all 4 of them) nude. Gothic 3 I find is the weakest storywise, but I love the graphics and I'm looking forward to the expansion. Make sure you grab the community patch (http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=151286) to make it a lot more playable.

If you are looking to pick them up, go for the Gothic Universe pack, not only cheaper, but it apparently also comes without Starforce protection, which the earlier games had. [Citation needed, it could be a rumour]

I played Gothic 3 for quite a bit some time ago, but the game is darn tough. Combat is very un-forgiving..

Wait for the 1.7 community patch then, they are making it even harder. Enemies will gang up, rather than let one person fight at a time.

Regarding the controls for G1, it's one of those things I get used to. Whenever I play, I like to go through the series in order, so by the time I get to G2 I have to stop and think again about the controls.

For those interested, both the expansion for G3 and Gothic 4 are currently in the works, but by different studios. I'm not sure who is doing the expansion, some Indian company, but Spellbound is doing G4. I don't think that G4 will be out for a couple of years yet, 2010 is the 'realistic' goal set by Spellbound, but I've seen Winter 2009 on some trailers, so it could be out by next christmas *hopes*.

G3: Forsaken Gods should be out pretty soon, apparently a matter of weeks, so it might be high time to do a reinstall and get orc slaying. It's standalone too, so it doesn't matter if I don't finish by the time of release :smallbiggrin:

Piranha Bytes is also working on a new game called Risen, which is supposed to be more like G1 in atmosphere, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Bouregard
2008-10-31, 11:37 AM
http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=57

the newest english demo.

There are 4 different demos of the game 2 different ones for german and aaenglish one. Try it out. 250mb download and runs on pretty anything with more than 500mb ram.