PDA

View Full Version : how to please your god

tokonaut
2008-10-31, 02:16 PM
hi new guy here but that's not what this is about. I am having trouble playing a neutral evil sorcerer who worships vecna, the problem is I do not know how to further the will of my god. what does vecna want of his worshippers?

arguskos
2008-10-31, 02:21 PM
Vecna desires you to hoard knowledge. Take it from those that do not deserve to have it, and keep it for yourself and Vecna only. Do not share your secrets, use them to empower yourself and Vecna. If threatened with death, do not give up your secrets. Take them to the grave with you.

etc....

-argus

hamishspence
2008-10-31, 02:22 PM
Secrets and lots of them. Find out things other people are keeping secret- deliver that info to Vecna. Can be done by passing it up the hierarchy, contacting one of his divine agents, if he has them, or just praying in secret to him, somewhere that he can hear you- altar of Vecna.

LibraryOgre
2008-10-31, 02:26 PM
1) Keep secrets. The more you know, the more power you have. The more people who know what you know, the less power you have.

2) Undermine goodness. Don't go around fireballing good temples... offer free spellcasting for people who give a prayer to your God.

3) Acquire, and hoard, power. Don't share freely. See if you can pick up the odd magic item when no one is looking (not steal, but lay claim to items as you go along, and as long as the party will let you get away with it).

Mando Knight
2008-10-31, 03:09 PM
Control and corrupt your companions.

Undermine and destroy followers of other religions so that Vecna can have all power.

Etc. etc. Depending on the edition, the DMG or a divinities handbook should have some things that Vecna expects. (The examples above are based off of his entry in the 4E DMG)

hamishspence
2008-10-31, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure how much data Living Greyhawk Gazetter has, since I don't have it, but, Deities and Demigods, Complete Divine, Complete Champion, Player's Handbook 2 The One and The Five organization description (a vecna cult) and Dragon Magazine 348 (if you accept Dragons) may make good sources for 3.0 to 3.5.

AWM
2008-10-31, 03:40 PM
I would ask your DM how he runs the gods in his/her game, I'm sure your DM would be willing to tell you what the standard worshiper is expected to do.

-awm

AslanCross
2008-10-31, 05:47 PM
You might have to go after the occasional person who's trying to sell out some secrets. I know Vecna's cult lays down some violent punishment for such people.

tokonaut
2008-10-31, 07:01 PM
so what would vecna want me to do if say an insolent halfling monk has a wand i want?? thank you for all the great and useful information you've given me already.

Inyssius Tor
2008-10-31, 07:06 PM
Blackmail him.

Or, if he's particularly squeaky-clean, blackmail a rogue into stealing it from him.

Or, if none of the capable rogues you can find would respond well to blackmail, kill him as quietly as possible.

Or, if he's got a huge extended family and a thousand loyal friends, trick him into doing something bad so that you can blackmail him.

tokonaut
2008-10-31, 07:14 PM
a problem is that he has a level two fighter very loyal to him and although i can kill said fighter in one hit he can do the same to me.

mabriss lethe
2008-10-31, 07:43 PM
You don't have to kill, you can manipulate.

Secretly engineer a problem for your target and his associate that they can't solve for themselves. Specifically something you can solve with a bit of overdramatic effort. Something nasty. A friend or a loved one imperiled. Maybe one of the characters has a younger sibling or other easily swayed family member. Make some underworld connections. Get your gullible patsy in over his head with them (with you really). "they" want some absurd amount of gold to cover the interest on a debt or what-have-you. something absolutely ridiculous. "overhear" their woes and offer to help negotiate a better trade. The price turns out to be that shiney lil' ol' wand. You pocket the wand, call off your paid goons and call it a day.

Mewtarthio
2008-10-31, 07:43 PM
Am I the only one who immediately thought of those trashy woman's magazines when I read the topic title? "This month: Five new prayer positions to maximize worship!"

Winged One
2008-10-31, 08:13 PM
a problem is that he has a level two fighter very loyal to him and although i can kill said fighter in one hit he can do the same to me.

So attack from surprise if nonviolent options aren't available. That way there's no risk of the fighter acting first. Note that the monk could have a higher Sense Motive modifier than your Bluff modifier, or just roll better. Confronting them separately would be best anyway. But keep in mind that violence is an inelegant way to get what you want.

Am I the only one who immediately thought of those trashy woman's magazines when I read the topic title? "This month: Five new prayer positions to maximize worship!"

No. No you are not.:smallsmile:

LibraryOgre
2008-10-31, 08:26 PM

Mine was a little bit less clean than that, but no.

Roland St. Jude
2008-10-31, 08:29 PM
Actually, I thought this was a misplaced Nethack thread. :smallamused:

Prometheus
2008-10-31, 08:54 PM
I had an NPC follower of Vecna who burnt libraries.

She was public enemy number 1 of wizards though.

Doomsy
2008-10-31, 08:55 PM
Really, really like liches.

I mean, really like them.

A lot.

Wink wink.

Disturbing moment aside, I'd say Vecna is mostly about gathering secrets and information brokering for purposes of advancing your own power. He is smart evil, not smashy evil, so play and worship accordingly. He is not the type who just lol crushes good. Matter of fact, that whole field of thought is probably best for another thread. Vecna is mostly evil out of selfishness. Think the Slytherins from Hogwarts, or any usual evil manipulator blackmailer sort who prefers to work with cunning plans, well planned out strategies, and backup scenarios than say, kicking the cleric of pelor in the crotch while giggling hysterically.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-10-31, 10:21 PM
Just going from the description in the PHB, I always saw Vecna as more of a "good example to follow" than a deity you offer prayers to and actually expect answers from. I mean, I always used the "distant gods" thing long before Eberron came out, but Vecna is (or was) a wizard who escaped mortality, and accrued enough power to ascend to godhood--he's the guy who walked the walk. So a lot of Liches, Necromancers, evil Wizards and Sorcerers, Hexblades, et. all see him as their idol and try to replicate his deeds--they don't necissarily worship him (his "cult" attracts a lot of egoists, I'd imagine) but if they're going to ask someone to bless their nefarious enterprises (and it's an instinctive human behavior) they might as well call upon one of the few beings they admire.

Mando Knight
2008-10-31, 10:34 PM
Really, really like liches.

I mean, really like them.

That's what... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html)

y'know, that one's too easy.

An effective Vecna follower will be like Palpatine--twisted, evil, and able to get the hero to betray his order and kill his mentor and best friend.

Kris Strife
2008-10-31, 10:47 PM

I thought it might be Lastai.