PDA

View Full Version : Does this campaign sound interesting?

Liriel
2008-10-31, 08:33 PM
I'm co-DM'ing a campaign in which all of our players started out as *gasp* level 1 commoners who have had...odd...things happening to them. For example, one character has grown claws (natural weapon), one has gained cold resistance, one has a forked tongue (that gave him the track feat) and another can alt form into a dire rat. And the one our group seems most amused by - one character has a pet tarantula who has since gained a breath weapon (not full strength, however, she's only a diminutive size, so we scaled it down). Eventually, they are going to grow/train into a "real" class.

I'm curious what thoughts are about this campaign...and if anyone has any suggestions. (This is my co-DM and my first time DM'ing D&D.)

Oh, and if it matters: 3.5ed

koeldflare
2008-10-31, 08:35 PM
I really like the feel of "normal" people becoming something cooler through training and such. The features that you're giving them seems to add a bit of extra spice to it.

Quick question though:
Do the abilities that they got have anything to do with the classes they plan on progressing in? Like the forked-tongue person going for ranger and such?

Saph
2008-10-31, 08:40 PM
Sure, it could be a lot of fun. Playing a character up through the levels is much more satisfying than starting at a high level straight-off (assuming you get there, of course).

That said, though, whether a campaign is interesting or not mostly comes down to execution rather than theme - how well the DM manages the table, how the players get on with each other, whether play goes smoothly without too many rules issues, stuff like that.

- Saph

Prometheus
2008-10-31, 08:49 PM
It does. I think odd, innate abilities but gradual abilities are a good way to go. I'm tired of the whole Heroes/4400/Xanth/Xmen gimick of random supernatural abilities that are immediately powerful.

Most people think that think that this kind of transformation would be immediately embraced. I tend to think it would be more complicated than that, even in (especially in?) a world of magic and monsters. It would probably make me feel less human.

Raum
2008-10-31, 09:11 PM
I'm curious what thoughts are about this campaign...and if anyone has any suggestions. (This is my co-DM and my first time DM'ing D&D.)Well, it doesn't appear (at least from your post) to have a direction, tone, setting, or anything other than a beginning.

As a beginning, it's fairly interesting but we still don't know what draws the group together. Is it their oddities or do they have common backgrounds or goals? Since you're using D&D 3.5 we can assume it will be a high fantasy game, but what type? A dungeon crawl? An urban adventure? Perhaps political? There are more possibilities as well. What about setting? Faerun? Greyhawk? Or somewhere else?

I suspect you've already decided on most of that but without knowing your choices I can't really form much of an opinion. I will say the only thing that matters is having your players excited by your choices. If so, you'll all have fun. Enjoy! :smallsmile:

Liriel
2008-10-31, 10:20 PM
Quick question though:
Do the abilities that they got have anything to do with the classes they plan on progressing in? Like the forked-tongue person going for ranger and such?

Well, we're not pushing the players into any class. They're free to choose whatever class they want. However, some of their abilities may give them a bit of a hint toward one class or another.

They all started out as fairly young boys/early teens living in a small village. They were grouped together for their Rite of Passage ceremony as the starting point. The changes started happening after that ceremony. Their home village grew afraid of them and whatever was happening to them and have kicked them out. They traveled to a nearby fairly large city and are trying to find either a cure or acceptance.

So, it is mostly urban. The setting is mostly from maps my co has drawn up and detailed out.

As for player interaction and such - they all seem to be enjoying it thus far. They've been kind of scared for their weak selfs though. However, that hasn't been a problem. This is a playing group we've all been a part of for a few years now. We all get along and know each others' styles/moods pretty well.

Raum
2008-10-31, 10:34 PM
It sounds like they have both a common background (same village and ceremony, similar age) and common circumstances (feared / outcasts), that's a good way to start. There are several ways you can build on that depending on the direction you plan on taking the campaign.

As for fear, that's a good thing! Combat should be a last resort. Just make sure the fear isn't paralyzing. You don't want them so afraid they can't / won't make a decision for fear of the consequences. Ideally you'll have enough fear they'll think twice and stop to plan when they can but not so much they run or freeze at every sign of opposition. Maintaining that balance as power increases is one of a GM's bigger challenges, particularly in D&D.

Sounds like a successful game so far!

Vortling
2008-10-31, 10:40 PM
Personally I'd want to know more about it before signing up for a game like that, however that's just me.