PDA

View Full Version : Do you need mobility to perform Maneuvers?

Frosty
2008-11-01, 12:15 AM
If I'm restrained or paralyzed or grappled or mentally influenced, can I still use ToB maneuvers? For example, to escape a grapple or chains, a Swordsage may wish to use Shadow Jaunt. To ge get rid of Hold Monster or a Suggestion effect, a Warblade may wish to use Iron Heart Surge. Can they do that?

Townopolis
2008-11-01, 12:19 AM
You must be able to move to initiate a maneuver.

P. 38, 2nd column, "Initiating Maneuvers and Stances"

You may wish to open a discussion with your DM about what that entails, as that is the only line that mentions it and "able to move" is a little gray. Your DM might allow you to initiate shadow jaunt while grappled, since you can technically still move, or they may not.

Your DM may allow you to initiate Iron Heart Surge to become immune to a web spell for its duration (as opposed to erasing the entire web by sheer force of will), or they may not, in which case Surge is pretty much restricted to removing ray of fighter pwnage (enfeeblement).

Vizen
2008-11-01, 12:21 AM
Yep, what Lordsmoothe said. Being able to move is required to use a maneuver just like being able to speak is required to cast a spell for a wizard (minus having the appropriate feat, of course).

Randomosity
2008-11-01, 12:24 AM
Page 31 one pretty clearly states 'you need to be able to move' in regards to stances and maneuvers. Considering that they are the martial form of magic, that makes sense in regards to things like Hold Person (no somatic components and no movement for maneuvers). The next page mentions grappling briefly, but basically the specific condition effects which maneuvers are available based on what they require you to do. As such, Shadow Jaunt is more a DM decision than anything else, Iron Heart Surge is a no because of the restraints of Hold Person.

Townopolis
2008-11-01, 12:30 AM
Actually, the passage about grappling implies that, by RAI, you could use Shadow Jaunt to escape it. The passage states that "the majority" of your maneuvers may be unusable. Of course, the majority of maneuvers are attacks, and you may well be wielding a weapon that can't be used in grapple, e.g. longsword. Except you could punch the guy grappling you with a maneuver.

In the end, it's still a DM decision, but that seems to be the RAI to me.

Frosty
2008-11-01, 12:35 AM
So IHS basically does nothing that really matters?

Townopolis
2008-11-01, 12:51 AM
well, it won't break mind control, and it can't break action denial... so basically yeah. Str damage is the only real reason to use it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-01, 12:51 AM
It ends the sun, gravity, Solid Fog, and Dead Magic Zones.

Gralamin
2008-11-01, 12:59 AM
IHS works on everything that doesn't make sense, and doesn't work on anything it obviously is meant to work on (IE: Domination, immobilization, fear effects, etc.)

RPGuru1331
2008-11-01, 01:18 AM
So IHS basically does nothing that really matters?

By RAW, no. By RAI, yes. Which do you suppose is more important in a Real Game? :P

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-01, 01:20 AM
By RAW, no. By RAI, yes. Which do you suppose is more important in a Real Game? :PNeither. My DM had to make a full list for his reference and mine, because it was so poorly written. It wasn't RaW or RaI, but Rules that Work.

Frosty
2008-11-01, 02:46 AM
What would be a reasonable list of Conditions that IHS ends?

jcsw
2008-11-01, 02:56 AM
Of things it should end? IMO...

-Paralyzed
-Dazed
-Dazzled
-Hold Person
-Entangled
-Stunned
-Exhausted
-Fatigued

Personally I'd just houserule that it is a swift action which bypasses the "Cannot take actions" line of such effects, and negates these effects.

Kizara
2008-11-01, 04:36 AM

-Paralyzed
-Dazed
-Dazzled
-Hold Person
-Entangled
-Stunned
-Exhausted
-Fatigued

Personally I'd just houserule that it is a swift action which bypasses the "Cannot take actions" line of such effects, and negates these effects.

Make sure you add a "produced by magical effects" clause to fatigue and exhaustion, or you will effectively grant users of this Maneuver unlimited endurance. While that is not much of a leap for the ToB, I doubt it's what is intended here.

JeminiZero
2008-11-01, 11:20 AM
Theres also sickened, shaken, blindness/deafness and possibly energy drain.

Interestingly, ability Burn is the 1st thing they list under Conditions (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Combat), so I wonder if it can remove that. If you can, you're just 1 step away from Body Fuel (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Body_Fuel) abuse

Roderick_BR
2008-11-01, 11:29 AM

-Paralyzed
-Dazed
-Dazzled
-Hold Person
-Entangled
-Stunned
-Exhausted
-Fatigued

Add "after you use it, if you got hid of the effect, you lose the rest of your actions until the end of your turn", so you can't IHS and automatically make another attack in the same turn, that was probably the intended effect. if you think that it being a swift action would make it too good.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-01, 12:00 PM
It ends the sun, gravity, Solid Fog, and Dead Magic Zones.

I could actually see it ending Solid Fog. >.> For the Warblade in question anyway, not anyone else.

AslanCross
2008-11-01, 05:19 PM
I think the OP's question has been answered, but there's another maneuver-related thing I'd like to point out: Nothing seems to indicate that maneuvers CANNOT be performed when one transforms into a non-humanoid form. For example, a werewolf in wolf form can actually execute Elder Mountain Hammer with its bite!

The logical result of this was that I have an order of hobgoblin swordsages in my world who are bred with lycanthropy in my campaign.

Arbitrarity
2008-11-01, 06:06 PM
Personally, I think IHS should be something like an immediate action, which dazes you the next turn, but grants the attack bonus the round after. Just make it resist/negate the effects of the abilities you want it to block.

Frosty
2008-11-01, 10:06 PM
I think the OP's question has been answered, but there's another maneuver-related thing I'd like to point out: Nothing seems to indicate that maneuvers CANNOT be performed when one transforms into a non-humanoid form. For example, a werewolf in wolf form can actually execute Elder Mountain Hammer with its bite!

The logical result of this was that I have an order of hobgoblin swordsages in my world who are bred with lycanthropy in my campaign.

That's why I love the ideaof a Druid/Swordsage. He's a Dire Bear...he's a Dire Bear that teleports next to you as a swift action, and then picks you up and THROWS you against the tree for big damage.