PDA

View Full Version : Feats for wolves?

Epinephrine
2008-11-01, 08:12 AM
We've adapted the Wintergaunt PrC (from Frostburn) to be a fey-type aligned with the winter court, so the 9th level ability needs a change.

Normally the ability allows one to summon an Entombed; a CR10 undead. My DM has suggested as a replacement a pack of advanced Winter Wolves, with the idea that one is calling a miniture version of the hunt.

Does four 9-HD winter wolves (normally CR 5, adavnced for CR 6) sound reasonable as a replacement? Do they need anything else? I know that the CR tables says that four CR 6 enemies is equal to a CR10, but I'm not sure. Would you alter the stats on advanced wolves (give them the non-elite stat spread, or the elite stat spread) or will they be fine?

What feats would you select for a pack summoned to hunt your enemies?

At 9 HD they have 4 feats, one of which should remain Track, so that they can hunt foes.

I was looking at Combat Reflexes, Vexing Flanker, and Backstab or something as a way of getting the right tactical feel, surrounding a foe, getting lots of AoO off and flanking benefits, but any other suggestions on feats for them that suit the idea of wolves hunting their quarry are appreciated.

Thanks!

Tsotha-lanti
2008-11-01, 08:34 AM
The elite array adds +1 CR (although you get it "free" with PC class levels).

Can't comment on the replacement, since that'd require really comparing the wolves and the entombed. The CR system is very touch-and-go. Are the wolves actually equal to the entombed, and especially when considered as allies rather than enemies? (An efreeti is an excellent example of a creature that's fine as an enemy of its CR, but never even remotely okay as an ally.)

Epinephrine
2008-11-01, 08:52 AM
...The CR system is very touch-and-go. Are the wolves actually equal to the entombed, and especially when considered as allies rather than enemies? (An efreeti is an excellent example of a creature that's fine as an enemy of its CR, but never even remotely okay as an ally.)

Good point. I have no idea, as I'm not the best judge of that.

Keld Denar
2008-11-01, 03:53 PM
Winter Wolves have a breath weapon, so you could probably take metabreath feats. Things like Clinging Breath or Heighten Breath (for better save DCs) or Entangling Exhalation (which techincally isn't a metabreath feat).

Alternately, since wolves only get 1 attack, Dodge > Mobility > Spring Attack would be decent. That way you get in, attack, trip, and get out. If you can get another feat from there, Bounding Assault actually DOES give your wolves a 2nd attack, and Rapid Blitz would give them a 3rd, even though wolves normally don't get 2-3 attacks a round. Thats a LOT of feats though, so good luck.

If their int is high enough, Combat Expertese > Improved Trip is also decent. Since a wolf normally trips after the attack, this would also give the wolf 2 attacks (1 for the hit, one for the followup). Wolves can't be counter-tripped, so its always worth it to try. You might get lucky!

LibraryOgre
2008-11-01, 04:39 PM
If their int is high enough, Combat Expertese > Improved Trip is also decent. Since a wolf normally trips after the attack, this would also give the wolf 2 attacks (1 for the hit, one for the followup). Wolves can't be counter-tripped, so its always worth it to try. You might get lucky!

Even if their Int isn't high enough, I think a feat in exchange for a +4 to a certain sub-attack (being the trip) isn't unreasonable, especially for a creature that trips naturally.

TempusCCK
2008-11-01, 04:46 PM
It's not very hard to justify improved trip either. I mean, what does a dog do after it pulls you to the ground? Starts ripping and tearing. Honestly, now that I've made this realization, it seems to me that any dog or wolf should have improved trip naturally anyway.