PDA

View Full Version : Charity at GenCon

Surfer99
2008-11-01, 09:52 AM
Hi there,

After reading about the giants post i had a bit of a read trough to find out what was going on and i wrote to them to ask what the specifics was about and i got the below reply to my enquire.

Dear (i removed my name),

Thank you for writing to Anne Goddard and sharing your concerns. Anne was traveling when she received your email. We discussed your concern and she asked that I respond on her behalf Please know that we take your email very seriously.

There appears to be a misunderstanding which I would like to correct. When Gen Con contacted CCF about its auction, we were pleased to accept donations. However, we couldn’t lend our name for publication because our policies have specific criteria for endorsements. We were unaware that this had caused any problem or concern for Gen Con until we began receiving emails. This decision was in no way intended to be a reflection on Mr. Gygax, gaming enthusiasts or the game Dungeon and Dragons. We have the utmost respect for the gaming community and were touched by the generosity expressed through your auction. We were disappointed that we were not the recipients of the donation but we were pleased that another worthy organization benefited.

We realize this has become a topic of discussion in the gaming community and we hope you will help us by sharing this response.

The needs of children are great and we welcome your support. Should you wish to learn more we invite you to visit our website at www.christianchildrensfund.org.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to voice your concern. Your passion for gaming and your support for children are admirable.

Sincerely,

Cheri Dahl
Vice President, International Communications and Fundraising

Christian Children's Fund
2821 Emerywood Parkway
Richmond, Virginia 23294
(804) 756-2702

[email protected]
www.christianchildrensfund.org

So where as i still see it as beeing a problem that they would not accept the donation i do belive sharing her reply with everyone is the right step.

Any thoughts? personally, for me, this reply solved all problems i had and it is nice to see that they think about these matters and reply to them (i sent the email today, saturday, and got an reply in about 2 hours)

Tsotha-lanti
2008-11-01, 11:09 AM
Wrong forum?

Jayabalard
2008-11-01, 02:20 PM
Wrong forum?looks like the right one to me.

Morty
2008-11-01, 02:27 PM
There's a stickied thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95278&page=6) concerning this issue, and it's in Friendly Banter, so I guess it's the wrong forum.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-01, 06:17 PM
I think this fits in either forum. It's just the Friendly Banter version took off first. In any case, as has been mentioned in the Friendly Banter thread, there are still a number of issues with this reply. I for one am curious as to exactly what those "specific criteria for endorsement" are and how GenCon failed to meet them.

Surfer99
2008-11-01, 10:10 PM
never saw the friendly banter thread my apoligies i just wanted to make sure that people knew they atleast answered. not nearly as common as i wish for, and very quickly on a saturday. Though i must admit looking at it now it just looks like a form letter written up for the occasion.

monty
2008-11-01, 10:54 PM
On the other hand, I wouldn't have seen this otherwise. I usually multitask while I'm on my computer, and looking at multiple forums at once is just extra work, so I pretty much exclusively follow this one. I'm sure there are others as well.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-02, 04:30 AM
On the other hand, I wouldn't have seen this otherwise. I usually multitask while I'm on my computer, and looking at multiple forums at once is just extra work, so I pretty much exclusively follow this one. I'm sure there are others as well.

Yep.

This response by CCF does not strike me as containing an actual answer to anything; it feels like a PR coverup. They screwed up as big time as the Paypal/SA/Katrina incident, and are deservedly taking flak for it.