PDA

View Full Version : World of Darkness Robot Suits

Eclipse
2008-11-02, 03:14 PM
I'm going to be running a 2nd edition/Revised World of Darkness game soon, primarily Mage. I have a player who wants to be permanently encased in a robotic suit of armor, and we're working out the details of why she would do that. I've already decided I'll let her do it, because it fits in well with other things I have planned for the game, and all Mages are crazy powerful within their limits anyway. We also have a pretty good idea of how we'll make it work based on the Mage rules.

What I'm interested in though, is if anyone knows of any WoD Mage books that describe robotic suits of armor, similar to something Ironman might use. I'm guessing Sons of Ether books are the best place to start, but if anyone else has suggestions of places to look, that would be awesome. Basically just to look at other ideas, and how the WoD authors would intend something like this be used.

If anyone has any suggestions or other tips, please let me know. :smallsmile:

kbk
2008-11-02, 06:05 PM
Yes, the old splat books for the old traditions are a good spot to start. They usually include rotes and artifacts. I don't have my old books handy so I can't tell you if there's something in there. You might also check out the Technocracy books. I'm sure there's something in there if its not in the Sons of Ether books.

Off the top of my head, she'd need:

Prime 3+?, unless its powered by something else.
Matter 4, for powerful ablative coating and armor. You could probably start with a lower amount of matter.
Life 2 and/or Mind 2 for the connections to her body and/or mind.

Vulgarity would depend on exact implementation, but I could see some permanent paradox from the artifact as a good fix for that. There are some powered suits that people might believe, but Anime-style mecha, that's going to be vulgar as all get out.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-02, 06:28 PM
Yes, this is highly vulgar, a likely quintessence drain, and possibly prone to shutting down if a Sleeper sees it. Nevertheless, it sounds cool.

The places to look are either the Tradition Book: Sons of Ether, or the Technocracy guide for a variation on a HIT Mark.

LongVin
2008-11-02, 06:30 PM
You might also want to look at the guide to the technocracy. The stuff about the Hitmarks(cyborgs) will probably apply here. Espicially about how paradox is handled with them.

The character is going to want to have a way to disguise the suit in front of the unenlightened, unless she plans to spend all her time hanging out at comic book stores and sci fi conventions where everyone will just think she is really, really dedicated to her favorite super hero.

EDIT: Damn! I was beaten to the punch

Kurald Galain
2008-11-02, 06:52 PM
EDIT: Damn! I was beaten to the punch

Time sphere ftw :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-02, 07:03 PM
You want Technocracy stuff for thoughts on robotic armor that's not going to explode in a shower of Paradox. Sufficient Prime and Matter will let you conjure armor out of nothing whenever you need it (whenever a Sleeper isn't looking, because of the whole "explode in a shower of Paradox" part).

You could simulate being a robot or magical construct of some kind with the right Merits and no actual magic being cast, though...I don't have a book with those handy, or I'd make some recommendations. Someone played a character like that in my very first WoD game.

Satyr
2008-11-02, 08:03 PM
There is at least one suit of mostly magic power armor described in the Book of the Weaver and other Werewolf books, empowered by a mean structure spider and with a direct link to the web itself to feed it with information. But Weaver tech is all in all not as limited as its Magick equivalent, so it allows more power without the paradox backlash.

kbk
2008-11-02, 08:38 PM
There is at least one suit of mostly magic power armor described in the Book of the Weaver and other Werewolf books, empowered by a mean structure spider and with a direct link to the web itself to feed it with information. But Weaver tech is all in all not as limited as its Magick equivalent, so it allows more power without the paradox backlash.

Weaver artifacts are essentially spirit effects, like other werewolf fetishes. So a mage with spirit magic could harness one of these with spirit and prime. Even if the spirits effects don't cause paradox to werewolves, a mage using them is still subject to paradox. He is using spirit after all. One of the consequences of power.

Also, while fetishes might work for werewolves willingly (and weaver creatures like anasasi <sp>), they might fight a mage trying to harness their powers.

Eclipse
2008-11-02, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I'll definitely take a look at the technocracy books, I didn't even really think about adapting Hitmarks a bit. I was thinking too much how would the Sons of Ether do it.

It's definitely not an anime style mecha... at least, not if you're referring to something like a Gundam or Big-O. It will be human sized, so if nothing else, she could pass for a human in a ridiculously real looking costume. Which will certainly draw stares, but I don't think quite to the point of garnering paradox... at least, not until she starts blasting stuff that should know better.

Probably going to avoid too much spirit stuff for her character... but it might be fun to look into for some of the npcs in the game.

BrainFreeze
2008-11-03, 12:06 PM
Take a look in the Technocracy book, there is a background in there that lets you buy cybernetic enhancements. With enough of those the character should be robot like.

graymachine
2008-11-03, 12:39 PM
I know that the Sons of Ether book has robots in the items section; they have some ridiculous acronym. However, I don't think that they are even remotely coincidental. Are you planning on having them off-world for a majority of the game? If so, that will relax the need for it to be subtle.

Dyvim Matt
2008-11-05, 05:35 PM
I have never read a splatbook for Mage (although I've run games for years, go figure), so on one hand I don't think you really need to find one, because you should find robot-suit-appropriate effects in the Spheres chapter. On the other hand, it's true that you should find good advice among the Technocrat/Virtual Adept/Sons of Ether books. However, I second kbk's Sphere suggestions of Matter, Prime and maybe Life or Mind. Depending on the specific effects your player wants for her power suit/robot armor, Matter 3 instead of 4 might do the trick (for instance, if she just wants Matter effects to boost her soak pool) and Prime 3 would be enough if she uses Tass with appropriate resonance. Life and Mind would only be needed if the wearer really needs to be connected to the suit. At level 2, your player would probably only be able to build a suit for herself, and starting at level 3 (at least) she could build suits for her cabal mates. That is, of course, the way *I* would do it. With such an free-form magic system as this one, Your Mage Will Vary!:smallwink:

kbk
2008-11-05, 10:54 PM
I know that the Sons of Ether book has robots in the items section; they have some ridiculous acronym. However, I don't think that they are even remotely coincidental. Are you planning on having them off-world for a majority of the game? If so, that will relax the need for it to be subtle.

It probably depends on exactly when they employ the suit. If the player uses it as an artifact, it would undoubtedly bestow some amount of permanent paradox, depending on the specific implementation of the effect. If the player can conceal the suit with sleepers present, he/she may get away with it for some time period. Permanent paradox leads to very serious backlashes after all.

I have never read a splatbook for Mage (although I've run games for years, go figure), so on one hand I don't think you really need to find one, because you should find robot-suit-appropriate effects in the Spheres chapter. On the other hand, it's true that you should find good advice among the Technocrat/Virtual Adept/Sons of Ether books. However, I second kbk's Sphere suggestions of Matter, Prime and maybe Life or Mind. Depending on the specific effects your player wants for her power suit/robot armor, Matter 3 instead of 4 might do the trick (for instance, if she just wants Matter effects to boost her soak pool) and Prime 3 would be enough if she uses Tass with appropriate resonance. Life and Mind would only be needed if the wearer really needs to be connected to the suit. At level 2, your player would probably only be able to build a suit for herself, and starting at level 3 (at least) she could build suits for her cabal mates. That is, of course, the way *I* would do it. With such an free-form magic system as this one, Your Mage Will Vary!:smallwink:

Good ideas. Its definitely not necessary to look over the effects, simply use the suit as your focus and have a few pre-defined rotes associated with it. Watch out for paradox.

Eclipse
2008-11-06, 01:15 AM
I have never read a splatbook for Mage (although I've run games for years, go figure), so on one hand I don't think you really need to find one, because you should find robot-suit-appropriate effects in the Spheres chapter.

Yeah, we've basically decided the suit is a phylactery and unique focus for her, and then there will be some permanent paradox to offset the permanent armor she'll have from the suit. Mix in one or two extra reasonable goodies from the Sons of Ether and Technocracy books, flavor it all a bit, and we'll have a sweet suit. Thanks for all the input guys.

Dyvim Matt
2008-11-06, 10:18 AM
Glad I could help. :smallsmile:

Friv
2008-11-06, 11:12 AM
The Iteration X Convention Book has what they call "hardsuits", which were one-man power armors designed to hopefully replace HIT marks. There's one that costs 5 Background points, and one that costs 9.

The 5 BP one grants three dice of soak, +1 Strength, protection from 0 to 110 degrees (farenheit, I assume, since it's an American book and doesn't specify), and can deal lethal damage. It uses up one Quint every six hours of use (has a natural pool of 25), and can fold into a suitcase when not in use. Also, if it gets damaged, you have to roll three dice and succeed or it shuts down. You can install three "modules" on it. You can also wear it under a coat, making it basically coincidental.

The 9 BP one grants five soak, three Strength, protection from -40 to 140 degrees, deals +1L unarmed, uses up one Quint per hour, and can fit five modules.

Modules cost even more bonus points. ;)

Armor (1 pt): Increases soak by 2, coincidental
Life Support (3 pts): Can survive underwater and in space, uses one Quint per two hours, coincidental
Medical Kit (2 pts): Duplicates Life 2 Heal Self, usually coincidental, costs one Quint per use
Minigun (1 pt): Pretty much what it says on the tin.
Movement Assist (3 pts): Add hardsuit's Strength to movement rolls. Vulgar, costs one Quint per use (not sure if that means per action or per scene).
Nanotech Self-Repair System (3 pts): Repairs damage to the suit for one Quint, vulgar
Plasma Cannon (6 pts): Ranged attack deals 6A damage. One Quint per use, hella vulgar.
Prime Energy Resevoir (2 pts): Holds 10 more Quint.
Primium Plating (4 or 6 pts): Gives 2 or 3 dice of countermagic.
Propulsion Unit (2 or 3 pts): Can move freely underwater for 2, or in space for 3. Uses 1 Quint per hour, generally coincidental
Stealth Coating (3 pts): Roll suit's Arete, subtract successes from difficulty of Stealth rolls. One Quint per scene, coincidental if "used discretely".
Taser Gloves (1 pt): There's a taser in your gloves.

kbk
2008-11-06, 12:41 PM
The Iteration X Convention Book
-snip-

Great info.

Just a reminder though, Iteration Xers, as members of the technocracy, would use the suit as a focus, and it would be required for all of their spheres, but a Son of Ether or other tradition mage would simple be able to use it as a focus to reduce difficulty of their magick (Arete score pending, of course).

Friv
2008-11-06, 01:13 PM
Great info.

Just a reminder though, Iteration Xers, as members of the technocracy, would use the suit as a focus, and it would be required for all of their spheres, but a Son of Ether or other tradition mage would simple be able to use it as a focus to reduce difficulty of their magick (Arete score pending, of course).

True enough, although the suit's built-in functions are a bunch of Artifacts, and thus don't require the player to have every Sphere that the suit uses.

If I were running such, I would mix-and-match a low-power suit with a few inherent abilities, and Sphere use for the rest of what it can, in theory, do. Probably I would take modules for things that are Matter/Life, and use my own Forces for a variety of power-based tricks.

Eclipse
2008-11-06, 04:49 PM
The Iteration X Convention Book
-snip-

We actually looked at the hardsuits, and while they look very cool, we both decided they were way too powerful to start the game with. I know WoD isn't the most balanced game in the world anyway, but we both felt that was taking things a little far right from the beginning. The other players aren't starting play with anything nearly as cool as the hardsuits are. We are considering a couple of the minor modules though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Though now that I think about it, perhaps we might work something out where everyone starts with a wonder of some kind. Would certainly fix the issue of people not having the cool stuff.