PDA

View Full Version : The Masque of Dreams

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-02, 07:30 PM
Innophos and Hieronymus arrive in Ashinana’s Oasis as hired protection for Master Dimbleton, a halfling merchant of various wares with a high voice and a miserly love for fine pastries. Innophos and Hieronymus know each other professionally, but not much beyond that. The rest of you have your separate means of arriving at the Oasis.

The town is abuzz with anticipation—those of you who don’t already know are informed by villagers that the Lady Ashinana is holding a gala in three short days. And what’s more unusual—everyone is invited, even the peasantry! The only catch is that everyone must wear some exotic costume, generously provided by the Lady’s own tailors for those guests who do not have their own costumes.

The Oasis is flooded with villagers, merchants, hired help and the occasional noble guest of the Lady’s. The village’s most notable feature is Vestang Manor, the home of Lady Ashinana and her noble guests. At the cost of five silvers per night, you can stay at the Dancing Tabi, the village’s lone inn. (This is where Master Dimbleton stays; he leaves Innophos and Hieronymus to their own funds.) Or you can choose to sleep under the stars—it gets cold at night, but it is a desert so precipitation is unlikely.

You have three days to amuse yourselves before the party; what do you do?

Gnarg
2008-11-02, 08:03 PM
Bashir is traveling across country, since he has no home. He joined a trade caravan so he doesnt have to traverse the desert alone. When he arrives in the Oasis, he firstly establishes lodging at the inn. After that he goes into the town trying to find some small work to make a coin. He is a strong human, so he tries to make himself usefull with some heavy lifting or construction work. Allthough he is a capable fighter, he doesnt look down on the work of commoners. After sunset, he goes back to the inn for some amusement. He drinks some beers, and tries to talk to some of its visitors.

He knew about the party from his traveling partners, and allready prepared a costume: He is going as a Wizard, complete with staff, pointed hat, long grey robe, a spellbook under his arm and a long grey fake beard. Originality isnt his strong suit.

(*OOC* Im unsure about the cost of the costume.)

ColdSepp
2008-11-02, 09:11 PM
Kriv arrives with the caravan as well, thinking it foolhardy to cross the desert alone. Upon arriving in town he immediately sets out to find the local good aligned temple, seeking employment from the local priests.

He bears himself proudly, his sun disc clearly marking him as a servant of Aumauntor, though he is polite with all those who he speaks to. Upon learning about the costume gala event, he wonders why it is being thrown, and asks a priest. (or townsperson, if there is no temple)

Diplomacy Roll [roll0]

Jalor
2008-11-02, 09:50 PM
Hieronymus is a wizard of no small prowess, but he works with darker forces than most. As a cover for his dark leanings, he goes out of his way to declare his nature as merely an act. He wears black robes with elaborate patterns in gray, he uses a purple-and-black orb, and he has a long, silver goatee with no other facial or head hair. Not to mention his ridiculously ominous name.

Though he is, in fact, the sort of person who SHOULD have this particular style, he pretends as though his dramatic sartorial choices exist for mere dramatic effect. Hiding in plain sight, if you will. Besides, the demon-worshiper look tends to deter highwaymen.

For the gala, he has gone unusually far. Even by his standards. His costume is so opulent, so aggressively tacky, that professionals in the fashion field and priests of good deities would recoil in horror at the mere sight of him.

He has a long, flowing black-and-red robe with various entirely meaningless runes sewn on. A Prestidigitation causes these runes to glow reds, oranges, greens, blues, and purples. He has also affixed various "infernal texts" to parts of this robe. This amounts to scrolls with lopsided pentacles and words like "decay" and "devastation" written on them in splattery red ink. He has used a second Prestidigitation to make his eyes glow red.

During the day, he mostly wanders town, being as cordial and sociable as possible to deter actual suspicion. He tells people of his occupation as a hired bodyguard and is quick to jocularly mention his choices of dress. He is, however, searching for rumors. Particularly involving magic or strange goings-on. (OOC: [roll0] Streetwise if it matters.)

Jalor
2008-11-02, 09:54 PM
Beans, the roll never took. [roll0] Huh, that was frelling stupid.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-02, 10:36 PM
The village folk seem to be impressed, or at least amused, by "the gray wizard" and "the All-Hollow's Eve wizard". The Lady's tailors, a crew of female and effeminate male humans and eladrins, are quick to inform all would-be gala-goers "This is a masked gala, not a fairy tea-party. Your face must be covered by a suitable mask." They then present you with a series of beaked, horned, sequined, feathered, rainbow striped or otherwise garishly decorated masks. As you choose a mask to fit your costume, it becomes clear that the tailors almost can't stand to let your amateur costumes remain as they are.

Bashir is traveling across country, since he has no home. He joined a trade caravan so he doesnt have to traverse the desert alone. When he arrives in the Oasis, he firstly establishes lodging at the inn. After that he goes into the town trying to find some small work to make a coin. He is a strong human, so he tries to make himself usefull with some heavy lifting or construction work. Allthough he is a capable fighter, he doesnt look down on the work of commoners. After sunset, he goes back to the inn for some amusement. He drinks some beers, and tries to talk to some of its visitors.

He knew about the party from his traveling partners, and allready prepared a costume: He is going as a Wizard, complete with staff, pointed hat, long grey robe, a spellbook under his arm and a long grey fake beard. Originality isnt his strong suit.
Dimbleton is glad to give you an old gray robe, a rumpled hat, a fake beard, the diary of some nameless poet and a stick in return for your labor on the road.

After arriving at the Oasis you find employment with Master Humby, the innkeeper. He gives you food and fare at half price in return for constructing shacks for the guests that he can't fit in the Dancing Tabi. After the first day's work, you meet a fellow inn guest named Ash who introduces herself as the daughter of a merchant who is passing through the Oasis. You have an hour or two of pleasant conversation before she excuses herself to find her bed.

During the day, he mostly wanders town, being as cordial and sociable as possible to deter actual suspicion. He tells people of his occupation as a hired bodyguard and is quick to jocularly mention his choices of dress. He is, however, searching for rumors. Particularly involving magic or strange goings-on.
You chat up a local yokel at the Dancing Tabi and loosen his tongue with drink. After an hour he seems on the verge of telling you something that he suspects from working at the Lady's manor, but seems to get a bad vibe from you at the last minute and leaves you for a game of cards.

Kriv arrives with the caravan as well, thinking it foolhardy to cross the desert alone. Upon arriving in town he immediately sets out to find the local good aligned temple, seeking employment from the local priests.

He bears himself proudly, his sun disc clearly marking him as a servant of Aumauntor, though he is polite with all those who he speaks to. Upon learning about the costume gala event, he wonders why it is being thrown, and asks a priest. (or townsperson, if there is no temple)
As it happens, there is a local parish dedicated to none other than Aumauntor. The parish priest's name is Father Menos, who tells you that the Lady's gala is being thrown to celebrate a discovery that she made in the nearby desert. What that discovery is, nobody knows except the Lady herself. Apparently, she has a flair for drama. Father Menos gives you a bed and food in exchange for your help cleaning the small stucco temple and tending to the occasional villager scrape and bruise.

Reverent-One
2008-11-02, 11:10 PM
Rhadrok arrives in Ashinana’s Oasis with little trouble, having joined a caravan headed in the same direction, using the opportunity to spread the word of Bahamut amoung the fellow travelers. As it is the reason for his coming, he is well aware of the celebration being thrown, and is prepared accordingly. He brings with him flowing bright blue robes, trimmed with fabic colored platinum, the color of Bahamut himself. His mask is shaped as a dragon's face, and is, of course, made of platinum as well. These things he saves for the party itself, while he waits he searches for the local temple of Bahamut (if there is one) to stay at for the duration of his time here, if there is none, he will rent a room at the town's inn. He spends his days at whatever large, clear space he can find, telling all who will listen about the might and will of Bahamut.
As he does so, he does keep an eye out, just in case the escapee enters his sight.

Going to roll a diplomacy check to see how successful his prostelitizing is.
[roll0]
And perception for locating a certain someone...
[roll1]

Gnarg
2008-11-02, 11:11 PM
If my costume turns out to be inappropiate for the party, I'm is happy to change the costume style to something that the costume designers has to offer. I tell them "I know nothing of fashion and fancy dressing. You pick something for me." Even though I really like my costume, I'm too emberassed to keep it if it differs from the norm.

I want to ask Ash a few questions during my conversation with her.

I ask her about what she knows about the party. Im also interested in who governs the city, is the Lady the only one in charge? Lastly, I inquire if she knows someone who can offer me some more stable work. Even though Im happy that I could find some work at the inn, if staying there costs more than I earn I need to find something which makes more money. I tell her I'm not afraid of danger.

Gnarg
2008-11-02, 11:14 PM
I'll roll a diplomacy for my talks with Ash: [roll0].

(OOC: Are you guys sure I'm doing this rolling thing allright? The format of reverent-ones rolls seem different, the first part looks the same as mine, but then there is another number adding the bonus. It makes me worry if in my rolls the bonus is added or not. Sorry for my ignorance.)

ColdSepp
2008-11-02, 11:49 PM
As it happens, there is a local parish dedicated to none other than Aumauntor. The parish priest's name is Father Menos, who tells you that the Lady's gala is being thrown to celebrate a discovery that she made in the nearby desert. What that discovery is, nobody knows except the Lady herself. Apparently, she has a flair for drama. Father Menos gives you a bed and food in exchange for your help cleaning the small stucco temple and tending to the occasional villager scrape and bruise.

Krin willing accepts the room and board, glad to be doing Aumauntor's work. Each noon he wanders the village market, seeking an appropriate costume, one that incorporates his armor. He has already decided on something suitably flowing to cover it, but finding a mask to fit a dragonborn is not as easy.

Each evening he has a meal at the Inn, looking to mix more with the townspeople, and perhaps hear a story or two from travelers.

Jalor
2008-11-03, 06:44 AM
Naturally, Hieronymus chooses a red, horned mask. This completes the picture of a demonic warlock if warlocks dressed as though they were hoping to be lynched by angry townsfolk.

Realizing he is entirely out of gold, Hieronymus begins asking around for work suiting a wizard, scribe, or scholar. Or mercenary, as the case may be. He will also continue to press questions on anyone whom he finds works at the Lady's manor.

(OOC: [roll0] for Diplo.)

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-03, 10:41 AM
Rhadrok arrives in Ashinana’s Oasis with little trouble, having joined a caravan headed in the same direction, using the opportunity to spread the word of Bahamut amoung the fellow travelers. As it is the reason for his coming, he is well aware of the celebration being thrown, and is prepared accordingly. He brings with him flowing bright blue robes, trimmed with fabic colored platinum, the color of Bahamut himself. His mask is shaped as a dragon's face, and is, of course, made of platinum as well. These things he saves for the party itself, while he waits he searches for the local temple of Bahamut (if there is one) to stay at for the duration of his time here, if there is none, he will rent a room at the town's inn. He spends his days at whatever large, clear space he can find, telling all who will listen about the might and will of Bahamut.
As he does so, he does keep an eye out, just in case the escapee enters his sight.
While caravan-goers and villagers are happy to have a healer present, nobody seems particularly interested in the word of Bahamut. The caravan-goers are mostly preoccupied with getting safely across the desert and making their next payday. The Oasis villagers have a small stucco temple to Aumauntor, the god of the sun among other things. It being a desert village, its population is happy with a sun god at least for the time.

Finding no temple to Bahamut, you find yourself renting a small shack outside of Master Humby's overflowing inn for 2 silvers a night. It's no luxury, but you do have protection from sandy winds and three hot meals a day. (Check your email regarding your search for a particular individual.)

If my costume turns out to be inappropiate for the party, I'm is happy to change the costume style to something that the costume designers has to offer. I tell them "I know nothing of fashion and fancy dressing. You pick something for me." Even though I really like my costume, I'm too emberassed to keep it if it differs from the norm.

I want to ask Ash a few questions during my conversation with her.

I ask her about what she knows about the party. Im also interested in who governs the city, is the Lady the only one in charge? Lastly, I inquire if she knows someone who can offer me some more stable work. Even though Im happy that I could find some work at the inn, if staying there costs more than I earn I need to find something which makes more money. I tell her I'm not afraid of danger.
The Lady's tailors breath a visible sigh of relief as they strip you of your wizard costume and fit you out with a new one. You note that the first thing they do is cover your bald head with a beaked and feathered helmet-mask.

Ash tells you that Lady Ashinana is the sole leader of her Oasis, though she does employ a dwarven veteran and a handful of human mercenaries to keep the peace. Ash seems favorably impressed by you and promises to speak with her father about getting you a job as protection for his wares. Ash apparently doesn't like the current hired help.
OOC: To test if bonuses are added to the rolls, add a bonus equal to the die's max result. For example: [roll0]

Krin willing accepts the room and board, glad to be doing Aumauntor's work. Each noon he wanders the village market, seeking an appropriate costume, one that incorporates his armor. He has already decided on something suitably flowing to cover it, but finding a mask to fit a dragonborn is not as easy.

Each evening he has a meal at the Inn, looking to mix more with the townspeople, and perhaps hear a story or two from travelers.
The Lady's tailors fit you with a suitably flowing costume--with far too many sequins in your draconian opinion. They fit you with a mask that emphasizes your snout with horns and long flaring nostrils. The tailors tell you that the guards won't let anyone into the gala who wears any noticeable weapon.

At the Dancing Tabi you meet two humans--one named Bashir and one named Ash. Ash tells you that war has broken out far up north; the humans of Ergoth are waging a crusade against their "heathen" draconian neighbors. Ash is quick to inform you that she herself is not Ergothian.
OOC: I use 'draconian' rather than 'dragonborn' just because I think it sounds ten times better. Use whichever you wish, though.

Realizing he is entirely out of gold, Hieronymus begins asking around for work suiting a wizard, scribe, or scholar. Or mercenary, as the case may be. He will also continue to press questions on anyone whom he finds works at the Lady's manor.
A visiting noble offers to hire you for a day--to perform at his daughter's birthday party. His offer is 5 gp.

As you press questions to the friend of your first failed attempt to gather information, you are approached by a grizzled dwarf who introduces himself as Delvis Sandstone, the Lady's Chief of Security. In businesslike tones, he informs you that the Lady likes her drama and doesn't like her guests trying to ruin her surprise. He warns you that further questioning of the locals will get you uninvited to the gala...and possibly more. Delvis doesn't seem to realize that he confirmed your suspicion that something is being kept within Vestang Manor.

TS

Reverent-One
2008-11-03, 12:06 PM
(OOC: Are you guys sure I'm doing this rolling thing allright? The format of reverent-ones rolls seem different, the first part looks the same as mine, but then there is another number adding the bonus. It makes me worry if in my rolls the bonus is added or not. Sorry for my ignorance.)

((OOC: I normally use the "rollv" "/rollv" command, which first shows you what the roll is, then adds whatever the bonus is. For example, I rolled a 3 for the diplomacy check, and then it adds the 6 to make 9. It won't change the roll, it's just a personal preference. if you just use the "roll" command, it'll just add the bonus automatically.))

Undaunted by the lack of response, Rhadrok still spends most of his days preaching the word of Bahumut. He makes sure, however, to keep an eye on the individual, making sure he doesn't do anything that would reflect badly on his hometown.

ColdSepp
2008-11-03, 12:40 PM
The Lady's tailors fit you with a suitably flowing costume--with far too many sequins in your draconian opinion. They fit you with a mask that emphasizes your snout with horns and long flaring nostrils. The tailors tell you that the guards won't let anyone into the gala who wears any noticeable weapon.

At the Dancing Tabi you meet two humans--one named Bashir and one named Ash. Ash tells you that war has broken out far up north; the humans of Ergoth are waging a crusade against their "heathen" draconian neighbors. Ash is quick to inform you that she herself is not Ergothian.

Having left his overly sequined costume at temple, Kriv is pleased to have found conversation at the Dancing Tabi, though the news Ash brings is unpleasant to hear. Still, he buys her a drink in thanks, and introduces himself. "My name is Kriv, a follower of Aumauntor, as you no doubt guest from my symbol" he says, brushing the sun disk. "I don't suppose you could tell me more about why this war started, and the nation of Ergoth? And, of course, any rumors about what the Lady found out in the desert." He motions a barmaid over to refill all their mugs, Bashir's as well.

Diplomacy on Ash [roll0]
Streetwise about Ergoth [roll1]
History about Ergoth [roll2]
History about Oasis and it's ruler [roll3]

((Description, Because I forgot to describe him earlier))

Dark Blue scales cover Kriv, and his eyes are deep green. His muscular bulk is increased by his heavy plate, embossed with the symbol of Bahamut. A plain shield, its metal well polished is on his left arm, and a leather cord tied to a Holy Symbol is wrapped around his wrist, in easy reach of his hand. On his back he carries his Axe, a simple blade that was a gift from his father.

When not in armor he wears a simple tunic and pants, well made but utilitarian.

Gnarg
2008-11-03, 03:10 PM
Bashir tells Ash he is very happy to work for her father. When Kriv arrives, he accepts his drink with a welcomming nod. He is a rather small, bald guy, with a stern look on his face. His clothing seems to be a collection of random pieces of leather, tied together tightly with leather bands to hold it together. There is a small crossbow around his hip, and his armor is filled with small spaces to hide his many daggers. He speaks with a deep raw voice "My name is Bashir. I also just arrived in the oasis, and I don't know of the war in the north. However, this place is very different then when I was here 10 years ago. It was alot less crowded, and I don't recall the lady being the ruler. Its a long time ago though.". He takes a sip from his drink, and looks expectantly at Ash for her answer.

ColdSepp
2008-11-03, 03:38 PM
"No, she just came to own recently, I was told. Still, you where from here originally? What brings you back to the old hometown?" Kriv asks Bashir, sipping his ale.

Gnarg
2008-11-03, 04:00 PM
Bashir stratches his head while he thinks of the answer. "My father was a merchant, we traveled alot, and I came here a few times." he replies, "Now im just here looking for some work and adventure. What bring you to the oasis?"

ColdSepp
2008-11-03, 04:40 PM
"The Lady Ashinana is a trading partner of my Clan, and they sent me hear as their representative for the gala affair that is coming up. Of course, they didn't mention it was costumed." He adds with a disgusted look.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-03, 05:47 PM
Having left his overly sequined costume at temple, Kriv is pleased to have found conversation at the Dancing Tabi, though the news Ash brings is unpleasant to hear. Still, he buys her a drink in thanks, and introduces himself. "My name is Kriv, a follower of Aumauntor, as you no doubt guest from my symbol" he says, brushing the sun disk. "I don't suppose you could tell me more about why this war started, and the nation of Ergoth? And, of course, any rumors about what the Lady found out in the desert." He motions a barmaid over to refill all their mugs, Bashir's as well.
Ash replies "Ergoth is a nation mostly devoted to Erathis. The neighboring draconians favor Kord. The king of Ergoth calls his campaign a 'holy crusade' but my father says that it is really a preemptive strike. The draconians have caused the Ergothians trouble in the past, and the Ergothian king simply wants to subdue them while they are weakened from a recent campaign against goblins. More than that, I don't know for I simply don't have a head for politics or warfare." You are fairly sure that the draconians she refers to are those of the Thunderblade Clan, who do somehow get themselves into frequent wars. Of Ergoth, you yourself know nothing.

Of the Lady Ashinana, all you know is that she governs two other small provinces outside of the desert. Those provinces produce copper, wine and a distinctive honey. The Oasis produces nothing that you know of.

"My name is Bashir. I also just arrived in the oasis, and I don't know of the war in the north. However, this place is very different then when I was here 10 years ago. It was alot less crowded, and I don't recall the lady being the ruler. Its a long time ago though.". He takes a sip from his drink, and looks expectantly at Ash for her answer.
Ash replies "I expect the Oasis will return to anonymity once this gala is over. In fact I can't even remember what it was called before the Lady named it after herself...? Anyway, Bashir, what have you been doing for the past ten years rather than gracing the Oasis with your presence?"

TS

Gnarg
2008-11-03, 05:58 PM
Ash replies "I expect the Oasis will return to anonymity once this gala is over. In fact I can't even remember what it was called before the Lady named it after herself...? Anyway, Bashir, what have you been doing for the past ten years rather than gracing the Oasis with your presence?"

Bashir replies "I've been going from one place to another, never staying there long and moving on. I guess its in my blood to travel. I like variety."

Bluff check - [roll0]

Jalor
2008-11-03, 06:02 PM
Hieronymus accepts the job offer, inwardly wondering how he has sunk to the level of party illusionist. Careful not to question anyone else about the gala, he remains quiet on important matters.

ColdSepp
2008-11-04, 01:17 PM
Kriv nods at Ash's words, hoping the Thunderblades won't draw his own clan into their war. "I thank you for the news, Ash." He says, as he scans the room again, only half listening to her question to Bashir.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-04, 02:35 PM
OOC: The adventure's next deveolopment is coming quick. Unfortunately it requires me to be home; I am on a short trip right now. So if not much happens in-game until Thursday, that's why.

Bashir replies "I've been going from one place to another, never staying there long and moving on. I guess its in my blood to travel. I like variety."
Ash accepts you at your word, having no likely reason to suspect you of lying.

Hieronymus accepts the job offer, inwardly wondering how he has sunk to the level of party illusionist. Careful not to question anyone else about the gala, he remains quiet on important matters.
To your surprise, the nobleman (Lord Garin) invites you to Vestang Manor where he is staying and where is daughter's birthday party is being held. It will likely be humiliating to announce yourself to the manor's guards when you arrive later, but the b'day party will gain you entry into the manor's courtyard at least.

Kriv nods at Ash's words, hoping the Thunderblades won't draw his own clan into their war. "I thank you for the news, Ash." He says, as he scans the room again, only half listening to her question to Bashir.
Whether the Warbringers come to the Thunderblades' aid depends on the decision of Warbringer's leader. It is possible that he doesn't even know of the recent war up north.

TS

Gnarg
2008-11-04, 03:10 PM
Bashir will just continue working for Ash' father while awaiting the party.

(OOC: Ok man np. I was getting a bit worried though, I dont want this adventure to die out. Also our dwarf fighter seems to be missing, but that shouldnt be a problem. Im eagerly awaiting thursday :smallsmile:.)

Jalor
2008-11-04, 05:47 PM
Hieronymus arrives to perform at the party. Beforehand, he asks Lord Garin how old the children in attendance will be.

Wondering how his life has taken this turn, Hieronymus ponders whether he will ever attain so much as a fraction of the power he had dreamed of.

(OOC: That's both games I'm playing in not advancing till Thursday. Crap.)

ColdSepp
2008-11-05, 05:10 PM
Kriv pays for the drinks, and heads back to the Temple for the night, awaiting the coming party.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-06, 07:11 PM
Sorry for the delay in this next development but it's been a busy week.

Rhadrok: You wake up sometime near midnight due to a cramp that won't go away. You decide to take a walk outside to walk it off and get some air. After circling the block once your cramp disappears. As you turn back toward the Tabi, you are stopped by the sound of bickering voices coming from around the corner. They seem to be coming from the front door of the black smith's shop; you catch the words "this good lock!" and "just smash it!"

Bashir will just continue working for Ash' father while awaiting the party.
You haven't actually started working for Ash's pa yet; she's only promised to talk with him about it. In any case, Ash stays up late talking with you but finally decides that she's tired enough to sleep. It's about midnight, and you decide to step outside for a breath of fresh air before hitting your own bed. Stepping outside of the Dancing Tabi, you see a startling sight. In the moonlight you make out two short figures bickering with each other in front of the black smith's door, across the street. For a moment you have a flashback to your youth and imagine that they are a pair of duergar, but their bickering voices aren't right for any dwarf. You're not sure who they are, but you are certain that they are trying to break into the smithy.

Hieronymus arrives to perform at the party. Beforehand, he asks Lord Garin how old the children in attendance will be.
Lord Garin tells you that you will only be entertaining six children in total. If you want to attempt anything sneaky, we can do it retroactively through email. In either case, you return from the birthday party very late. It is about midnight when you finally approach the Dancing Tabi. Looking left in the moonlight you see the door to Aumantor's temple standing ajar. By the light of a candle within you can see a short figure padding about. Looking right in the moonlight, you see another short figure snooping around the outside of the Tabi.

Kriv pays for the drinks, and heads back to the Temple for the night, awaiting the coming party.
Sometime around midnight, you wake up in a cold sweat after a nightmare involving fires and screams. Thinking that something from the waking world might have influenced you to have the nightmare, you step outside of the temple and make a short circuit of the nearby area. Not finding anything, you head back to the temple when you finally see something sinister. Two small figures are bickering in front of the black smith's shop, obviously trying to break in.

The battle map is here. (http://lukebuchanan.com/Battle.jpg)

TS

ColdSepp
2008-11-06, 07:24 PM
Kriv draws his blade, determined to keep the two thieves from completing their robbery. Before he alerts them to his presence, he looks around the square for any allies they may have.

Rolls
Perception - To see what kind of small creatures they are.
[roll0]

Perception - Checking the square for friends and enemies.
[roll1]

Initiative - If needed
[roll2]

OOC

Is there an OOC thread to post on?

Gnarg
2008-11-06, 08:22 PM
Bashir feels an anger rising inside him, determined to stop the thieves, determined to live by his newfound values.

He screams "For Gruntar!"

His actions:

In case of a full round on his initiative:

Minor action : draw hand crossbow
Minor action: Load a bolt onto the bow
Standard Action: Deft strike, moving 2 hexes towards the creatures near the blacksmith, shooting at the one closest to him.

Rolls:

Initiative - [roll0]
Attack Roll - [roll1]
Deft Strike Damage - [roll2]
Sneak Attack Damage - [roll3]
Note: I assumed he has combat advantage from first strike, if he doesnt, he has just +6 on attack roll and no sneak attack damage.

In case of a suprise round, Bashir will just move 6 hexes towards the creatures at the blacksmith.

He will also look around at who he can see.
Perception - [roll4]

OOC:
There is no OOC thread as of yet.

Jalor
2008-11-06, 09:12 PM
Hieronymus reacts immediately to the small, lurking figures. His typical reaction would be to analyze the situation, but seeing suspicious lurkers in a town at midnight is generally a cause for alarm.

Initiative: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Surprise round, if any: Ray of Frost at GOB1.
Attack: [roll2] vs. Fort.
Damage: [roll3] frost damage, target is slowed until end of my next turn.

Standard: Ray of Frost at GOB2.
Attack: [roll4] vs. Fort.
Damage: [roll5] frost damage, target is slowed until end of my next turn.

TS, I'll send e-mails about Hieronymus's sneaky stuff ASAP.

Reverent-One
2008-11-06, 11:29 PM
Hearing what the two are saying, Rhadok knows these two are up to no good. His heart burns with rightous fury as he charges around the corner, hammer out to smash whatever it is out there. The night rings with the sound of his voice, shouting, "Feel the might of Bahamut's justice!"

If there is a surprise round, I just run 6 squares closer to them.
Otherwise,
Inititative:[roll0]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-07, 10:08 AM
You all see the other PCs and reasonably deduce that they are about to spring upon the thieves, just as you are. I should have mentioned that in my previous post.

Kriv draws his blade, determined to keep the two thieves from completing their robbery. Before he alerts them to his presence, he looks around the square for any allies they may have.
The figures are goblins, dressed in loose robes as if they had just trekked through the desert.

For major OOC talk, we can always recycle the recruitment thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95318) If anyone thinks that that is inappropriate, feel free to start a thread in the OOC forum and post a link for us.

Hearing what the two are saying, Rhadok knows these two are up to no good. His heart burns with rightous fury as he charges around the corner, hammer out to smash whatever it is out there. The night rings with the sound of his voice, shouting, "Feel the might of Bahamut's justice!"
What do Kriv and Rhadrok do during the first normal round? In the future you can post several sets of actions, and tell me which will happen under which circumstances.

TS

ColdSepp
2008-11-07, 10:18 AM
Move Action: Move 4 Hexes to be right above Gob 4
Minor Action: Dragon Breath. Blast 3, No Opportunity attack, Cold Damage, vs Reflex
[roll0] against Goblin 4
[roll1] against Goblin 3
[roll2] damage on both.

Standard Action: Holy Strike on Goblin 4, Radiant Damage, vs AC
Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

And, brutal lets me reroll that 1 damage, but I can't do it on an edit, so heres the link. I rolled a 2, so total of 6 Radiant with that hit.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1801489/

Reverent-One
2008-11-07, 11:01 AM
First normal round, I move 6 squares closer to them, then charge the rest of the way till I am adjecent to both 3 and 4, attacking 3.
Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

OOC thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95928)

And why does the d20 roller hate me so much?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-07, 06:33 PM
Battle Map (http://lukebuchanan.com/Battle.jpg)

You see a human in a ridiculous costume, a human in his long-johns and a dwarf in his long-johns. All of them spring into action against the goblins. You yourself are similarly attired. Oh and yes, they definitely are goblins, dressed in loose robes as if they had just trekked through the desert. They each have several javelins hung at their backs.

You gather up a great breath, expel a frost on the two goblins and then close the distance. One of them whips a javelin from behind its back, which just barely slips past your shield. (Your take 7 damage.) You swing and miss wildly with your khopesh, allowing your foe to tumble into a flanking position.

Hieronymus reacts immediately to the small, lurking figures. His typical reaction would be to analyze the situation, but seeing suspicious lurkers in a town at midnight is generally a cause for alarm.
Your spell catches one goblin in the back, who lets out a shriek of pain. He stumbles toward you and launches a javelin that wildly misses. The goblin within the temple rushes to his companion’s aid, launching a javelin which tears a hole in your costume. (You take 9 damage.) Turning toward this new threat, your spell strikes true again!

Bashir feels an anger rising inside him, determined to stop the thieves, determined to live by his newfound values.

He screams "For Gruntar!"
You sprint toward the two figures, who finally notice your presence. You fire a bolt into one of the goblins, though you aren’t sure if it struck flesh or just cloth.

Rushing forward, you swing too soon in your zeal and miss wildly.

Gnarg
2008-11-07, 10:49 PM
Bashir lets his hand crossbow fall, and starts running toward the goblins. He reaches for a dagger, and throws it at the goblin closest to him.

Actions:
Free Action: Drops crossbow

Move action: Move 6 hexes north-east, towards the goblin 4.

Minor Action: Draw a dagger

Standard Action: Sly flourish, moving 2 squares, so im 1 square out of melee range of goblin 4.
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

OOC:
Is it possible to update the positions on the map? Its hard to see flanking positions now.

Jalor
2008-11-07, 11:48 PM
Hieronymus whirls his orb again, conjuring a swirl of purple mist. It radiates outward, against the goblin in front of him.

Hideous Resonance(Thunderwave) on Goblin 2.
Attack: [roll0] vs. Fortitude
Damage: [roll1]
Gob2 gets pushed one square away.

Hieronymus then moves until he's two squares inside the temple.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-08, 11:23 AM
OOC
The battle map is updated. My file manager is acting f'ing bizarre because I uploaded the updated map last night and deleted the old one, but as you saw it still showed the old one. Just now I deleted the new one too, and now it's showing the new one. How it's even possible to view deleted web files, I have no idea. :smallconfused:

TS

ColdSepp
2008-11-08, 12:00 PM
Kriv will shift down one, so he is flanking Goblin 3 with Rhad.

Move action = Shift

"Aumauntor's Light strike you!" He cries, striking at him.

Standard action = Holy Strike on Goblin 3

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1] Radiant.

Minor = Mark Goblin 3

Reverent-One
2008-11-08, 12:13 PM
Rhadok regains his balance and steadies his stance, readying his next swing. He mutters a short prayer to Bahamut for protection as he brings he weapon down on the opponent he just missed.

Attack on goblin 3 using the Priest's Shield. Should I hit, I get a +1 bonus to AC until my next turn.
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
EDIT: Ha-ha! Crit hit, awsome. Shame that I pretty much did full damage anyway.

OOC:
I still only see the unchanged battlemap.I'd suggest uploading the map to imageshack or some similar site and putting the image up in your post under a spoiler tag.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-08, 03:30 PM
Is everyone still seeing the original map? Anyway, let's try photo bucket (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/Battle.jpg) this time.

Hieronymus Crowley: The target of your first spell stops shivering convulsively. Sprinting behind his companion, he hurls another javelin at you that you only just manage to dive aside from. (You take 6 damage.) Your other foe stumbles sideways and launches a javelin, which grazes your arm. (You take another 5 damage.) Gasping for breath and bleeding, you stumble into the temple to refocus your energy. (The two gobs ended up out of Hideous Resonance range and you were down to 3 hp so I figured you would want to use your Second Wind. Pbp combat is kind of awkward especially since the gobs got generally better initiative than you guys.)

Kriv Warbringer: Your foe takes a stab at you with his javelin, but you block it with your shield and then shatter it with a blow from your khopesh, leaving him with a jagged stick. You move into a flanking position, and only narrowly miss your new target. (I added 2 to the damage you did from Holy Strike’s special bonus, because you would have marked him at the start of your turn.) Feeling your blazing eyes on him, he jabs at you with his javelin, which forces you to leap aside (You take 3 damage.)

Bashir: You sprint toward your foe, letting loose a dagger that whistles through the night air. Unfortunately, your aim is off and it misses by a wide margin. In retrospect, that last pint of ale was probably a mistake.

Rhadok: You bring your hammer down and Bahamut’s visage bites into your foe’s shoulder. He cries out in pain, and looks on the verge of dropping. Out of the corner of your eye, through a smithy window, you see a soft glow appear inside as if someone had lit a candle.

TS

Reverent-One
2008-11-08, 07:23 PM
Assuming Kriv finishes off Goblin 3:
Rhadok, noticing the dragonborn and bald-headed human joining the fight against the would-be thieves, nods respectfully to the dragonborn for his takedown of the first goblin. He then turns his attention the other one. As Rhadok runs at the goblin, his hammer begins to glow, the eyes and teeth of Bahamut's face most of all. With a yell, he swings his hammer at the goblin.

Moving to the hex between Bashir and goblin 4, attacking it using Healing Strike, allowing Kriv to use a healing surge if I hit, also marking goblin 4.
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

If Goblin 3 is still up by my turn:
Rhadok notices the dragonborn and bald-headed human joining the fight against the would-be thieves, glad to have some allies. The goblin in front of him feels his hammer again, and once more he asks for Bahamut's protection.
Attacks goblin 3 with Priest's Shield again.
Attack:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

OOC:
and 2 swings and misses. Though since they seem to have ACs of 24/25, I didn't really have a good chance of hitting anyway. I do see the updated map though now.

ColdSepp
2008-11-08, 07:31 PM
If Goblin 3 is still up, I Holy Strike him again

Hit[roll0] Damage [roll1]

Otherwise, I shift one square and attack goblin 4.

Hit [roll2] Damage [roll3]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-08, 11:47 PM
Reverent-One made an excellent point, so here is the initiative order:

Gob1
Gob4
Kriv Warbringer
Gob2
Gob3
Hieronymus Crowley
Bashir
Rhadok

Gnarg
2008-11-09, 02:35 PM
Bashir moves next to Goblin 4, grabs another dagger and stabs the goblin.

Actions:
Minor action - Draw a dagger

Move Action - If goblin 4 moves into my melee range, I will shift around him so im standing next to him at the south side. If gob 4 moves into melee range of kriv or rhad, I will try to shift around him to flank, or move if he isnt in my range.

Standard Action - Tortuous Strike
Attack Roll - [roll0] (+11 if I can get combat advantage)
Damage Roll - [roll1]
Sneak Attack - [roll2] (only if I can get combat advantage)

OOC:
Sorry I was so inactive this weekend, had IRL dnd taking up alot of time :(.

Jalor
2008-11-11, 06:17 AM
Hieronymus remains in the temple, calming himself and tending his wounds.
Standard: Spend second wind.

Also, can we post in initiative order from now on? It gets confusing otherwise.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-12, 08:50 AM
Sorry for the delay everyone, I wanted to post yesterday afternoon but the forums seemed to crash on my end at least. Oh and, Gnarg, I am so jealous! Also, we will be having one more PC join us after this fight is over.
Battle Map (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/Battle.jpg)

Kriv: A goblin begins moving into a flanking position, swings at you, and misses wildly. With a mighty swing of your khopesh, you cleave the other goblin in twain.

Hieronymous: (I’m going to assume that you’re delaying.)

Bashir: You narrowly avoid a hurled javelin to your head. (Take 9 damage.) Moving into a flanking position, you expertly slide a dagger into your foe’s lung so that he drops with but a wheeze.

Rhadok: A goblin hurls a javelin that strikes the wall an inch from your back. (Take 5 damage.) With no foes left nearby, you charge the one that threw a javelin at you. Bahamut’s attention seems to be elsewhere at the moment, because he soundly dodges your swing.

The two remaining goblins suddenly look like they would rather be in the middle of a sandstorm than facing you all down.

Reverent-One
2008-11-12, 11:45 AM
OOC:
Since it looks like you missed it, Jalor said he was using a second wind. Also, I think posting in intitiaive order isn't a bad idea either.

ColdSepp
2008-11-12, 01:23 PM
Kriv will move 5 closer to the goblins, and use his second wind.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-12, 06:00 PM
OOC:
Since it looks like you missed it, Jalor said he was using a second wind. Also, I think posting in intitiaive order isn't a bad idea either.
I had Hieronymous use his second wind during the previous round when he dropped to 3 hp and was out of range for the power he wanted to use. I think Jalor's MIA 'cause I sent him a message saying so on Monday. If he doesn't post by the time his initiative comes around, I'll have him come out to zap goblins.

TS

Gnarg
2008-11-12, 06:53 PM
Bashir tastes victory, and charges the nearest goblin.

Move action : move 6 hexes closer to goblin 1

Standard Action: Charge goblin 1
Attack roll - [roll0]
Damage Roll - [roll1]

Reverent-One
2008-11-12, 08:21 PM
Rhadok attempts to land a blow on the goblin again, shouting, "Bahamut take these goblins!"

Priest's Shield, targetting Goblin 1.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-12, 09:13 PM
Both remaining goblins dash away in full flight. As the nearest one turns his back on Rhadok, the dwarf lands a glancing blow on his back. Then a bolt leaps from the temple of Aumantor and strikes the same goblin, who immediately begins shivering convulsively. Finally, Bashir hurls a dagger at a goblin’s retreating back. It is a poor throw, but luck is with the heroes! You hear a hollow thud as Bashir’s dagger connects with the back of his skull, apparently hilt-first, and the goblin topples over.

The last goblin unfortunately disappears into the desert night.

Congratulations, you won your first fight and you weren't even armored! Before we get to the meat of this adventure, I'll give you all the opportunity to deal with your [possible] prisoner.

Gnarg
2008-11-12, 09:24 PM
Bashir sighs with relief. He looks around at his allies, and says "You fought well my friends, I'm honored to stand next to you in battle" He goes to the bodies, and collects his daggers, searching the bodies for clues what they were doing here.

Afterwards he sits down on the stairs of the temple, and bandages his wounds.

Bashir spends 2 healing surges.
Perception for searching the bodies: [roll0]

Reverent-One
2008-11-12, 09:41 PM
"Same to you, that was an especially good shot with your dagger on this one, knocking him out cold." Rhadrok says to the human, pointing at the one at his feet. "Greetings to you all, I am Rhadrok, cleric of Bahamut." Motioning the dragonborn over, he says, "Mind giving me a hand restraining this one? I'll wake him up and see what these four were after."

Assuming Kriv does so:
With a short prayer to Bahamut, Rhadrok channels divine energy into the Goblin ((Using Healing Word)). As the goblin wakes with a start, Rhadrok warns him, "I wouldn't try any funny business if I were you, otherwise my friend here with deal with you. Now, what were you and your friends after tonight?"

Reverent-One
2008-11-12, 09:45 PM
OOC: Forgot to put this in the last post.
Intimidate check if need be, though given the circumstances, I doubt he'd hold much back.
[roll0]

Jalor
2008-11-12, 10:09 PM
I posted and used my second wind. My post was right before yours; see my fire-guy avatar?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-13, 12:13 PM
Bashir finds a white opal necklace with a broken chain stuffed into one of the dead goblin's pockets. Other than that, he finds only the leather armor that each goblin wears and a sheaf of five javelins each.

At this point, the black smith finally opens the door to his smithy. He wears his nightclothes and wields a lantern and a large hammer raised to attack. Seeing the goblin bodies and you all gathered nearby, he lowers his hammer and says "Looks like I'm late to this party. Thanks for cleaning up these tumbleweeds."

In response to Rhadrok's questioning, the goblin only cries pathetically and mumbles "We was only finding pretties...just finding pretties and not waking up nice humanses..." You find yourself not trusting him, because he can only stare at the ground while he answers you.

Jalor:
Check out post #41 where I used your second wind. If you'd rather that I just delay your action if I don't know what you want to do, or have some other default action, that's cool. Just let me know.

ColdSepp
2008-11-13, 12:15 PM
Kriv carefully cleans his sword, then sheathes it, before addressing the blacksmith. "Any ideas what they might have been after?"

Gnarg
2008-11-13, 01:42 PM
Bashir greets the blacksmith with a nod. "It's our pleasure sir, my name is Bashir.". He collects the bodies in a pile and says "We have to bury their corpses, we can't leave them here. And we can throw the one that's alive in the hole with them, unless he starts talking."

He puts the medallion is his backpack and leaves the rest on the bodies.

Bashir tries to intimidate the goblin with his remark.
[roll0]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-13, 02:17 PM
Bashir greets the blacksmith with a nod. "It's our pleasure sir, my name is Bashir.". He collects the bodies in a pile and says "We have to bury their corpses, we can't leave them here. And we can throw the one that's alive in the hole with them, unless he starts talking."
"We was just looking for pretties..." the goblin whines, "...boss said we could look for pretties after we gave a jar to the pale skins...that's all we was doing! I promise not to come back if you let me go...please let me go! Me not like holes..."

Reverent-One
2008-11-13, 03:19 PM
"What jar? And who were the pale skins you gave it too?"

Jalor
2008-11-13, 05:36 PM
Hieronymus exits the temple, calmly walking up to the scene.

"I think the matter of a 'boss' is relevant as well. Who sent you?"

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-13, 07:25 PM
"What jar? And who were the pale skins you gave it too?"

"I think the matter of a 'boss' is relevant as well. Who sent you?"
"Pale skins inside of big house..." the goblin points toward Vestang Manor, "I dunno what was in jar...boss Lady of Zargon only said to give jar to pale skins..." (Anyone with Training in History and/or Religion can make a check to recognize Zargon...)

Gnarg
2008-11-13, 09:05 PM
Bashir looks at the smithy. He asks "Do you have any idea what that jar is he is talking about?".

Diplmacy [roll0]

Jalor
2008-11-13, 10:26 PM
"Hmm... Zargon? The name sounds familiar."

Hieronymus thinks for a moment.

[roll0] Religion

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-14, 12:32 AM
Bashir looks at the smithy. He asks "Do you have any idea what that jar is he is talking about?".
The blacksmith is obviously perplexed. "Goblins like trickery...maybe they brought a jar of alchemist's fire to cause a diversion...but I don't see any fires." Looking around you don't see any fires either, or any disturbance at all for that matter.

"Hmm... Zargon? The name sounds familiar."
Zargon is the name of a minor demon-deity known for his taste for demi/human sacrifices.

Reverent-One
2008-11-14, 01:38 AM
My own religion roll
[roll0]
EDIT: Strike that, I don't know why I thought I had a +11 to the roll, it's only a +6. So 25.

Thinking for a moment, Rhadrok asks the goblin, "Where is the boss lady now? Or where did you meet her?"

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-14, 11:18 AM
Rhadrok remembers the same info that Hieronymous remembers about Zargon.

Thinking for a moment, Rhadrok asks the goblin, "Where is the boss lady now? Or where did you meet her?"
The goblin points and says "At home under desert sands."

Reverent-One
2008-11-14, 12:11 PM
OOC:
Just making sure I understand things right, the next day is the gala, yes? And at what point in the day does the gala start?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-14, 04:17 PM
OOC:
Just making sure I understand things right, the next day is the gala, yes? And at what point in the day does the gala start?
That's correct. The gala officially starts at sundown.

Reverent-One
2008-11-14, 05:44 PM
Rhadrok addresses the others,"Zargon" He says, spitting the name out,"is a demon. One that enjoys the sacrifices of living, sentient beings. From what this goblin has said, the head preistess of a cult of Zargon out in the desert sent them to deliver a jar to some people within the manor. They must have decided to raid this shop as a bonus. If this goblin can lead me to them, I plan on going to find the cult and show them Bahamut's wrath. You have all shown yourselves to be very competent fighters, if any of you wish to help end these scum, you are welcome to join me." Turning to the goblin once more, he asks, "Well? Can you take me to the desert home?"

ColdSepp
2008-11-14, 06:00 PM
Kriv

Kriv nods. "Agreed. I am in as well, even if I have to go alone. Which I don't."

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-14, 08:00 PM
Rhadrok addresses the others,"Zargon" He says, spitting the name out,"is a demon. One that enjoys the sacrifices of living, sentient beings. From what this goblin has said, the head preistess of a cult of Zargon out in the desert sent them to deliver a jar to some people within the manor. They must have decided to raid this shop as a bonus. If this goblin can lead me to them, I plan on going to find the cult and show them Bahamut's wrath. You have all shown yourselves to be very competent fighters, if any of you wish to help end these scum, you are welcome to join me." Turning to the goblin once more, he asks, "Well? Can you take me to the desert home?"

The goblin's eyes bulge out of his skull. "No, no, me not know where boss lady is! Let me go, I not know anything, please!"

Gnarg
2008-11-14, 08:25 PM
Bashir also nods in agreement and says "I agree, there is obviously something foul going on in this town, and we need more than one to stop it. Lets work together to get to the bottom of this. Maybe it has something to do with the festival, but we'll found out tomorrow.". He looks at the goblin and shows him his dagger, covered with blood. He snarls at him"If you don't know where your boss is, you will better get to know this dagger!".

If the goblin doesnt comply, he suggests to the other adventurers to execute him, explaining "I normally don't condone execution, but in this case, letting him go has too many risk for him to return to his master. We don't know what evil can come of that."

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-14, 09:10 PM
Bashir also nods in agreement and says "I agree, there is obviously something foul going on in this town, and we need more than one to stop it. Lets work together to get to the bottom of this. Maybe it has something to do with the festival, but we'll found out tomorrow.". He looks at the goblin and shows him his dagger, covered with blood. He snarls at him"If you don't know where your boss is, you will better get to know this dagger!".

The goblin is now visibly terrified, squirming against the knots that bind him. "Please...Zargon always hungry...boss lady feeds him naughty goblins...please let me go and I promise not to go home to boss lady!" The goblin is now crying. "Don't make me get eaten..."

corax
2008-11-14, 09:17 PM
Change arrived at the city. it was literally bursting at the seams. Or so it seemed at the gate. Just listening though he was able to get the gist. He made sure that the hood was pulled forward as he paced through he crowd and into the city.

A few questions sent the mage off to the only inn that just might have something like a bit of floor-space. Arriving there he worked his way through the crowd carefully. And setting a stack of 3 silver on the counter. Asking for a sleeping space and a meal. Actually asking , once the tender got to him, for a standard meal and one small bowl of he stew as well. Taking these and his chit for the outbuilding. Not that he expected the space to have just himself.

Getting to a bench he settled down on it. And the psudodragon slid down and stated to much his portion while the mage ate. Leaning over and moving carefully so as not to show his “costume’ yet. He also pulled out the battered fiddle case. Setting that beside him as he ate. There were a few looks at the case. But more perhaps to the psudodragon that was munching its meal.

A big fellow worked his way over to stand beside the mage not that there was anything on him now that would shot to all that Change was a mage.

“hey! We dant ‘low animals in here”

Change's cowl rose a bit. Tilting as if he was looking to the big man that stood beside “well then” his voice gravely and low almost a caw “then I shall leave as soon as the coin is returned to me. He stood slowly. The feathery cloak on his back twitching. Holding out an arm for the mini-drake. Though the psudodragon passed to lick the bowl clean that Change had been dealing from before clambering up with a pleased chirp. The mini-drake starting over at the lage human , as well as looking around over the crowd.

the mage started toward the bar. beak clamped shut tight. so as not to grumble about the treatment. working his way through the crowd . holding the case in one gloved hand tightly. watches. waiting at the bar for the tender to get to him as he works the crowd. rough voice coming from deep in the cowl. “i apparently wont need the room. i am sorry to bother you. may i have my coin back for it?” holding out the room chit.

taking the two coins he wiggled through the crowd and out ot the street. making his way off towards a thin alley that wasn’t blocked with humanity. there he opened the case. tuning up carefully.

Chorus:
Fire in the head...I'm a flame in motion
Fire in the head...I'm a sword that's sharp
Fire in the head...I'm a drop in the ocean
A shield in battle and a string in a harp.
Fire in the head...I'm an eagle soaring
Fire in the head...I'm a spoken word
Fire in the head...I'm a torrent pouring
A grain of wheat and a cauldron stirred.
Fire in the head!

(my voice softer under the twang of the fiddle. my currently booted feet pacing back and forth at the mouth of the alley)

Wee Jack's rhymes are sly and hinting
Wrapped in bull skin banging a drum
Wee Jack's looking, one-eyed squinting
Hoppin' on one leg, sucking his thumb
The black sow's chasin' me round the oak tree
Humming a tune that I must learn
The black sow's call to feast awoke me
But oh her cauldron spits and burns

(chorus)

Mad May shakes her bells to ringing
Rides through the door and disappears
Mad May's laughing, asking, singing
Does anyone have ears that hear?
The raven sat in a creek and pondered
Why the alder tree is strong
The raven's head flew off wnd wandered
Singing stories and telling songs

(chorus)

(finishing with the break and restart. before the final. then bowing to the small group that stayed to listen. a few coppers being tossed to the case and around it when i finish)
bending to collect the coins. sliding them in a pouch as....

(song from Emerald Rose. “Fire in the Head”)

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-14, 10:42 PM
When morning comes, Kriv, Rhadrok, Bashir and Hieronymous witness that scene ^. (Unless otherwise occupied, at your discretion.) Until then, let's finish our interrogation scene...

Reverent-One
2008-11-15, 03:29 AM
"Tell you what goblin, you lead us to the entrance of 'home', then we let you go, so you can't be fed to Zargon, and you run off and never return home again." Rhadok rests his hand on his hammer, "Or we could just kill you now, unless you have some other use to us...?"

Jalor
2008-11-15, 10:14 AM
"Indeed. If you wish to of no further use to us, then it is your death."

Hieronymus raises his orb, conjuring swirling energy around it.

(OOC: Readying a Ray of Frost if he tries to escape.)

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-15, 10:33 AM
"No kill! No kill, Kidger help nice humanses! Yes, Kidger knows the way. When we leave? It three days to home, so just give word and Kidger lead the way!"

Reverent-One
2008-11-15, 05:17 PM
"We'll need to at least gather our gear first. When do you all think we should leave?"

Jalor
2008-11-15, 09:15 PM
"I would keep the goblin here and wait until the gala ends. I have my suspicions about the gala, and I would prefer to be here should anything happen."

Reverent-One
2008-11-16, 03:29 AM
"While I'd hate to wait, I must agree." Rhadrok sighs, "The Gala is the reason I was sent here, I would be derelict in my duty if I missed it. We must be sure to keep this one secure in the meantime then."

Gnarg
2008-11-16, 05:52 AM
Bashir nods in agreement. "We need to tie him up then. I stay at the inn so that is not a good place to keep him. Maybe we can put him in the temple? Or does any of you have a better place to tie him up?".

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-16, 01:15 PM
"You could hand the furball over to the Lady's guards...but they tend to be lax in their duties even without a gala going on." Says the black smith.

Father Menos belatedly steps out of his temple. "Eh, what's going on? Why is my door open?" He asks. After you explain the situation to him he says "Well I could watch the miscreant until you leave. I was planning to only make a brief appearance at the gala anyway."

The black smith looks at the Father dubiously and says "If you don't want to trouble the Father's old bones, I could watch him. I do have plenty of chains."

Jalor
2008-11-16, 03:12 PM
"I suppose we could leave it with the blacksmith. He does, after all, have spare chains."

Reverent-One
2008-11-16, 04:52 PM
"Thank you Father, but leaving him with the blacksmith seems to be the most practical alternative." Bowing to Father Menos, turning to the blacksmith, he says "Thank you for the offer, and my apologies, good sir, as I do not know your name."

ColdSepp
2008-11-16, 05:31 PM
"Kriv"

Kriv stands a little apart during the interrogation, not feeling it is quiet proper to treat a prisoner as such, but he chimes in. "I agree we should stay during the gala, and head out afterwards... but are we sure we want to leave the goblin with a civilian?"

Reverent-One
2008-11-16, 11:22 PM
"With the goblin chained up, he should be safe."

Gnarg
2008-11-17, 02:43 AM
"I agree, lets keep him at the smithy then."

Jalor
2008-11-17, 06:14 AM
"but are we sure we want to leave the goblin with a civilian?"

"One chained and scared goblin isn't exactly a threat. More of a potential nuisance."

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-17, 11:22 AM
"The name's Jard Smith." Says the smith, before taking Kidger inside and clapping him in irons.

Your work done for the night, you all go back to bed and sleep well. The following morning is the day of the gala, and the village's excitement in peaked.

Now's the time to react to our new PC and his dramatic entrance. If you'd rather skip to the gala scene, just send me a PM that says 'pass'.

Reverent-One
2008-11-17, 12:08 PM
OOC:
Trying to make sense of Corax's post. He's a human in a costume that looks like a bird (though he is trying to keep it hidden) and he has a pet psudodragon?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-17, 03:32 PM
OOC:
Trying to make sense of Corax's post. He's a human in a costume that looks like a bird (though he is trying to keep it hidden) and he has a pet psudodragon?
Yes, and a villager had too much to drink and decided that wearing costumes outside of the gala is a beat-down worthy offense.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-18, 04:02 PM
Evening finally arrives, and there is a mass exodus to Vestang Manor. You first pass through a large courtyard and then pass into the building itself. Upon arrival, six guards confiscate any unconcealed weapons. They promise that confiscated weapons will be kept safe in Delvis' (the dwarven captain of the guard) nearby office.

Within, guests are already eating, drinking and mingling. It's hard to recognize anyone due to the absurd costumes and the dim lighting, but the royal guests' costumes are higher quality than the peasants' costumes. The Lady and her guards are the only easily identifiable people; she wears a headdress with two-foot feathers while the guards wear black. After an hour, after the stragglers have arrived, Lady Ashinana calls for silence and two guards roll out a large cage covered by a sheet.

"The world holds many strange wonders from past and present. The desert which we call home was once a great empire known as Cynadicea that long ago fell into ruin. Mere weeks ago I was fortunate enough to discover one of the world's great wonders; ladies and gentlemen, I give you...the children of Cynidea!" The two guards pull the sheet off of the cage; within stand two men and one women, all with skin paler than bleached bone. They have large eyes that squint and never look directly at the candles which light the grand hall. They wear only decorative loincloths and speak softly to each other in a strange tongue.

The guests are speechless for several moments, until someone starts clapping, at which point the hall fills with noise. "To Cynidicea, the Lost City!" Ashinana says as servants refill everyone's cups. After the toast, everyone is seated and the feast begins in earnest. As the evening progresses, you each notice a change in the feasters. At first it is subtle; a man in silver armor challenges another guest to a duel of honor, in jest...you think. Lady Ashinana begins loudly referring to herself as Empress, while a young woman drunkenly laments a lover who recently broke her heart.

But the feast finally turns to madness; guests get up from their chairs to act out strange impulses. One aged royal guest brags that he wrestled a giant into submission during his youth...and then proceeds to manhandle a pillar in order to prove that he can do it again. A woman in a mouse costume begins scratching people with her nails, and then retreating when threatened with silver cutlery. Another man stalks about the hall, telling himself "...must be patient and quiet...mustn't disturb big game before the kill..." and then stabs a guest in a rhino costume from behind with a steak knife.

And everyone is too absorbed in their own fantasies to care. Everyone, except for you.

Jalor
2008-11-18, 05:14 PM
Hieronymus is feigning shock at the guests' behavior, but examination reveals that he is fascinated.

"What is this madness? A spell of some sort? And why would I not be affected..."

Hieronymus looks around to see who else is not affected.
[roll0] Arcana or Religion to figure out the cause of this.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-18, 06:45 PM
"What is this madness? A spell of some sort? And why would I not be affected..."
You discern no telltale traces of magic in the hall.

Reverent-One
2008-11-18, 07:04 PM
Rhadrok is shocked by the behavior of the other guests. He grabs the nearest person acting madly and shakes them, "Get a hold of yourself! What are you doing?"

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-18, 10:16 PM
Rhadrok is shocked by the behavior of the other guests. He grabs the nearest person acting madly and shakes them, "Get a hold of yourself! What are you doing?"
The woman you grab looks at you with dreamy eyes and says "Oh sir dwarf, I can't deny it any longer...I love you! I know we come from such different places, and our families will never accept each other, but love conquers all!" She then tries to kiss you, but is thwarted by the masks you both wear.

You all quickly recognize each other as the only rational individuals remaining.

Reverent-One
2008-11-19, 12:36 AM
Rhadrok throws the lady off of him. Noticing the others that seem to have their senses, he waves for them to follow him. He remembers that the goblins were delivering a jar to the "pale skins", and these "children of Cynidea" are some of the palest things he's seen. Walking over to their cage he examines them closely. "Hello there, do you know anything about all this?"

Perception check
[roll0]

Gnarg
2008-11-19, 05:06 AM
Earlier in the evening Bashir thought this was going to be one hell of a party, but it was going too far. He begins to ask people around him what they are doing. Seeing Rhadrok wrestle with the crazy woman, Bashir recognizes he is the sane one here, and follows him to the cages. He tells him "We need to find out what is going on here, try questioning these "children" and I'll make sure you don't get stabbed while doing it." Standing next to Rhadrok, he surveyes the croud trying to distinguish any threats or strange things.

Perception: [roll0]

Jalor
2008-11-19, 06:15 AM
Still contemplating, Hieronymus steps toward the children of Cynidea and examines them closely, questioning them.

"Can you understand me?"

I'm not sure what skill to use here, so I'll roll two dice and you can add modifiers of the correct skills.
[roll0]
[roll1]
BOLLOCKS!

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-19, 11:21 AM
"Hello there, do you know anything about all this?"

"Can you understand me?"
One of the male pale skins speaks back in his foreign tongue, pointing to the other guests and making the universal hand sign for 'crazy'. He then indicates the locked cage door, and then the room where the cage was rolled out from.

Something about this man rubs you the wrong way, as if he knows you will obey him and that asking you is only a formality.

Bashir notices that four of the eight entrances into the grand hall are now open, with certain guests coming in and out.

Reverent-One
2008-11-19, 11:27 AM
Rhadrok walks over to the room the cage came from and looks inside, leaving the pale-skins where they are.

More perception
[roll0]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-19, 03:18 PM
Rhadrok walks over to the room the cage came from and looks inside, leaving the pale-skins where they are.
The room is a lounge; there are two couches, a half dozen chairs, a hearth and pillows of various sizes and shapes everywhere. On a hook just inside the door hangs a single iron key.

Reverent-One
2008-11-19, 05:28 PM
Rhadrok enters the room and does a through search of it, especially keeping an eye out for any jars.

Perception check to search the whole room.
[roll0]

Jalor
2008-11-19, 06:15 PM
Hieronymus examines the guests entering and leaving, hoping to find some useful information.

corax
2008-11-19, 10:30 PM
Change hadn’t noticed, not at first. He had gotten a few complements on his costume before the big announcement however, even played a few tunes for a tiny portion of the crowd. He had noticed others with ‘wings’ as well. Some even articulated, with handles that allowed the wings to spread. Head covered with a rich mottled brown of feathers each preened into place. Large golden eyes bight as he looks about at the others. A short kiltlike swath covered his lions as a plane jerkin was tied on across his chest. His heavy gloves were strapped to his belt, dark and worn. This revealed thin yellowscaled fingers toped with small talon-like nails. Oh yes. Under that kilt.. lion like furred thighs. Ending in heavy, wide, digigrade feet. (dammed hard to get shoes for too). The wings made like a cape on his back. The jerkin split to let them through to settle properly.

So. The Mage was more concerned with making music for the tiny crowd nearby so he didn’t notice the aberrant behavior at first. It was when the one male, dressed as a bounty hunter snuck up behind the Lady and stabbed her with the butterknife. Not that Change ever used a butterknife at all. Now he started looking about with a purpose. Eyes first seeking out the one with the heavy, white, fully articulated wings, who had come as an angel. It was hard to see that worth through the crowd though, packed tight in the Great Hall of the Keep. Change only able to see the wings flutter as the crowd surged and flowed. Each lost in there own fantasies now.

The Mage had settled into a far corner on the hall. Nearly as far away from the dais as possible. From here though he did have a good look at the ‘Queen”. Then his golden eyes slid over to the cage. Intently noteing the albino/deep dwellers behavior. As well as getting a good look at the cage.

He tried to keep his back to the wall mostly. His wings fluttering here and there while he worked his way towards the main doors out. Puling his eyes away from the scene of the three underdwellers and the queen. Turing to the “guard” (if there was one) at the door out of the hall.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-20, 01:02 AM
Battle Map (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/Battle.jpg): For the beginning of this fight, roll 1d4-1 and subtract that number from your speed each round. There are guests everywhere, and they have to be shoved aside or dodged around. You are of course free to think of a creative way to get them out of your way.

Bashir and Hieronymous don’t notice anything unusual about the guests passing in and out of the hall, but they do notice a group of goblins enter quite suddenly. Actually, you all notice these goblins. One is mounted on a camel, and seems to direct the others who immediately begin goading, prodding and threatening the guests out into the courtyard.

Chainge hears a banging and muted yelling coming from the open door directly to his south.

Rhadrok finds little of interest; the single jar he finds is made of glass and contains only decorative stones in an eye-pleasing arrangement.

Reverent-One
2008-11-20, 01:14 AM
OOC: I'm sure, at some point, we'll actually start a battle fully equipped and ready. How I long for that day...anyway, on with the game.

Speed reduction roll- [roll0]
Initiative-[roll1]
And two questions, where exactly are our weapons? And can I use the jar as an improvised weapon (even as a single use one)? Once I know this stuff, I'll figure our what I do in the surprise round.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-20, 02:27 AM
OOC: I'm sure, at some point, we'll actually start a battle fully equipped and ready. How I long for that day...anyway, on with the game.
Lol, it'll happen.

Speed reduction roll- [roll0]
Initiative-[roll1]
And two questions, where exactly are our weapons? And can I use the jar as an improvised weapon (even as a single use one)? Once I know this stuff, I'll figure our what I do in the surprise round.

My bad, I actually forgot for about an hour that you don't have weapons. So you don't need to roll initiative or worry about speed penalties unless you attack or draw attention to yourself. As to weapons, you recall a guard carrying them west, down the corridor that is directly adjacent to the hall. (To go in that direction you'll have to pass the goblins and then hang a right once you leave the hall.)

You can use just about anything as an improvised weapon. You could probably pull off a caltrop-like effect by smashing the jar of stones. If you pick up a steak knife, I'll give the wielder a +1 proficiency bonus.

Reverent-One
2008-11-20, 02:59 AM
In that case....

Rhadrok moves back over to the center of the room, keeping the jar, near the other clear headed ones. Speaking softly, he says "We need our weapons to deal with these ones. I think I saw the guard take them out that entrance." He nods at the western door near the goblins, "If we can get close, we can make a run for it. Follow my lead." Rhadrok begins moving towards the door, trying to stay along the wall.

Assuming the others follow:
Once they get even with the last line of tables, Rhadrok breaks into a run for the side door, hoping the rest come along as well.

If the goblins notice them, Rhadrok will let the others pass him and throw down the jar, shattering it and covering the floor behind them with rocks and glass.

Reverent-One
2008-11-21, 08:05 PM
*Bump*?....

Jalor
2008-11-25, 09:01 PM
"I can still fight. This orb is the one I use for my real spells, and I don't wear armor. I'll take point and pick off any curious goblins while you retrieve your gear."

corax
2008-11-26, 05:18 PM
(sorry i am so late. and if this overrides an allready done action please ignore))

the Gryphon-mage paced. moving slowly though the edge of the crowd.

he stopped once. lifting a hand up into a niche where a bust rested. he made a clicking noise and softly spoke “up”
the Psudodragon slid up. moving slowly too. keeping it camouflage as it curled up behid the bust, peaking out over its shoulder.

now Change moved with more porpoise. Still slowly and towards the doors. but more to get behind the camel. he moved through and with the surging crowd as the goblins began doing their work. the bright gold eyes flicking back and forth. trying to see if the behaviors were still intact. noting that a number had dressed as high warriors. even one in something like ill fitting half plate armor.

fortunately not too many wanted to be behind (or in front of) the camel.

It was easy to slip between the rater distracted ring of goblins on the floor as they were busy harassing whoever got close. Fro a brief second Change was in the small open area just inside striking range of the camel’s rear feet. a moment of mental preparation for spell and himself. the wings snapped open. knees bent. leaping into the air with the help of his broad wings. Aiming to land an the camel just behind the lead goblin.

Camels as you know are desert animals. and Lions hunt the dry grass savanna. what most people don’t realize is there is some overlap on occasion to the two territories. Apparently this camel had some experience. for as soon as the leonine foot landed on the rump of the camel it bolted. the goblin had turned on hearing the wing-flaps an neither of us were ready for the camel to bolt across nhe room in a effort to get away from the Predator. the two of us landing in the only clear area on the entire great hall now. hitting the floor with a thwump.

Reverent-One
2008-11-26, 05:53 PM
Well, at least 3 of the 5 are back. Hopefully the other two show up as well?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-26, 09:36 PM
Map (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/Battle.jpg)

Three out of five is good odds. For now we'll assume that Kriv and Bashir follow through with the plan to get their weapons back, and hopefully Gnarg and ColdSepp will post again soon.

You charge past the goblins, who plainly aren't expecting organized action. Reaching the all-important doorway, which is oddly unlocked and open, you race inside and quickly locate your weapons. And not a moment too soon, for the sounds of goblin pursuit are close behind! (This room is apparently an office, with a desk piled with papers, with three chairs nearby. The other door in the office is closed and locked.)

Roll Initiative! (Now that you’re out of the great hall you don’t have to worry about reduced speed.)

the Gryphon-mage paced...
An inventive plan, Chainge thought to himself as he watched four guests rush past the goblins out into the corridor. …but worth the risk? Chainge then sees the mounted goblin give orders, followed by two foot goblins leaving to investigate the corridor. The goblins that remain in the great hall move forward as more guests leave. One of the goblins reaches the cage, bashes in its door and then stands aside for the three albinos to step out. Then he sees something truly startling; Lady Ashinana walks forward to find out why her guests are so rapidly abandoning her.

Shouting to the mounted goblin she says “I am the Queen Zenobia, Empress of Cynadicea, and I demand to know what you are doing in my royal court!”

To which the goblin responds “I am here to escort you and your subjects to a great feast in your honor, Empress.” Amazingly, the Lady seems to accept this explanation and begins willfully leading even more dinner guests out into the courtyard.

Reverent-One
2008-11-26, 09:53 PM
OOC: Initiative
[roll0]

Jalor
2008-11-27, 08:47 AM
[roll0] Initiative

BOLLOCKS!

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-27, 11:26 AM
Kriv: [roll0]
Bashir: [roll1]
Gob2: [roll2]
Gob3: [roll3]
That makes the initiative order:
Bashir
Gob3
Rhadrok
Chainge
Kriv
Gob2
Hieronymous

Bashir and Kriv will follow whatever plan Rhad and Hieronymous think up for the moment, while the goblins can be heard charging down the corridor. So what actions will you take?

corax
2008-11-27, 12:33 PM
[roll0]

(lets see if i can get this to work)

Reverent-One
2008-11-27, 02:17 PM
Hearing the goblins run down the hallway beyond the locked door, Rhadrok prepares a surprise for the first one to get inside.

Move to the locked door and ready Priest's Shield for the goblin that opens it. Rolling my attack now.
Attack-[roll0]
Damage- [roll1]
Dang. That sucked.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-27, 05:28 PM
Four heroes arrange themselves within the small office. When the first goblin comes barreling in, he ducks two swings from Kriv and Rhadrok but Bashir catches him in the shoulder with a dagger and blood begins streaming down his arm. Enraged, the goblin utters a curse and raises his battle axe to strike. Behind him, his companion can't wait to join the fray.

OOC
If Chainge wants to try his idea to startle the camel, roll a nature check.

corax
2008-11-27, 06:29 PM
[roll0]

(nature skill)

the gryphon mage. having set down the fiddlecase behind another bust takes the leap

corax
2008-11-27, 10:36 PM
[roll0]

(nature skill)

the gryphon mage. having set down the fiddlecase behind another bust takes the leap

yep. its a natural 1

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-28, 12:02 AM
As Chainge lands behind the camel, which merely turns its irate gaze toward him, he belatedly considers the possibility that it was trained for battle. The goblin rider is quick to react, and just as irate as the camel; it strikes down with a khopesh that looks too large for its small hands to wield. The weapon flashes with freezing energy which Chainge barely dodges aside from. (Take 8 damage, and Chainge is slowed until the end of the goblin's next turn.) Lady Ashinana is startled by Chainge's stunt, and flees into the courtyard.

At this point you all smell the distinct scent of smoke as Chainge sees several more goblins burst through the great hall's rear entrance and help herd more guests into the courtyard.

corax
2008-11-28, 10:01 AM
a quick roll. dodging the blast. well not really but almost..

of course. luck would have it. Change ended right at the feet of one of the grounded goblins. wings and arms splayed. trying to work off the effects. looking up at the goblin it grinned wide. holding its own sword to my feathered throat. the gold eyes of the gryphonmage mee definatly ting the dark of the goblin.
most definatly caught now

Jalor
2008-11-28, 10:34 AM
Hieronymus thrusts upward with his orb, creating a spray of acid behind the two goblins at the doorway.

Standard: Caustic Burst, starting from the hex to the left of Gob2.
Attack: [roll0] vs. Reflex, Gob2; [roll1] vs. Reflex, Gob3
Damage: [roll2] acid damage.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-28, 12:41 PM

Hieronymous' spell hits the rear goblin with a fine mist of acid, and it yelps in pain. Bashir slips a dagger into the foremost goblin's chest, and it topples forward. Its companion suddenly doesn't appear so eager to fight.

Bashir
Rhadrok
Chainge
Gob1
Gob4
Gob5
Kriv
Gob2
Hieronymous

Reverent-One
2008-11-28, 05:33 PM

Doesn't look like the map is updated, gob3 is still on it. On the assumption his is gone, however...

Rhadrok steps over the body of the first goblin, bringing back his hammer and slamming it into the one behind him, channeling holy power to protect himself and his allies.

Attacking Gob2, using priest's shield, stepping into the space where gob3 was.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-28, 07:11 PM
I suspect that there's some kind of 'upload delay' for any site, which is causing the maps to stay the same. Frustrating, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Rhadrok's hammer smashes into the goblin's battle axe, jarring its arms.

Reverent-One
2008-11-28, 07:15 PM
I suspect that there's some kind of 'upload delay' for any site, which is causing the maps to stay the same. Frustrating, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Upload the new map with a different name, and remove the old one?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-29, 10:55 AM
I think I figured this out, so try this: Map (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/One/Battle.jpg). Also I finally subscribed to the OOC thread so if you post there I'll actually read it for sure.

corax
2008-11-30, 05:56 PM
Change looks up at the grinning goblin. the Kopesh sword at his throat.
his long talon tipped hands spread and rose. still a bit stunned from the foll. as if to say "i surrender".

seconds pass. the goblin bubbling and barking an order in its unknown (at least to me) Language. that was just enough time.

the long scaly fingers of one hand changing orientation. pointing a moment.

then a reddish little ball swishing out . right at the goblin's face.
the magic missile spinning towards in in a flash.

[roll0]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-01, 11:28 AM
Map (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/Two/Battle.jpg)

Chainge's spell goes wide, causing the mounted goblin to smirk. It then shouts orders to its companions, who cease pestering the guests and rush for the courtyard. Kriv, unable to reach the goblin, shoves past Rhadrok in an attempt to bull rush the goblin. Unfortunately his shoulder catches on the door frame and he succeeds only in jostling Rhadrok. The smell of smoke intensifies as the second group of goblins knock over candles and torches, lighting tables clothes and lingering guests on fire.

Jalor
2008-12-01, 05:14 PM
Hieronymus moves to the doorway, firing an icy ray at a goblin.
Move to the open doorway, Ray of Frost on Gob5.
Attack: [roll0] vs. Fortitude
Damage: [roll1], slowed until my next turn on hit.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-01, 06:49 PM
The east door is the one that's locked.

Jalor
2008-12-03, 06:20 AM
Hieronymus readies a spell for any goblin to come into view through the door.
Ready a Ray of Frost for the next goblin to enter line of sight.
Attack: [roll0] vs. Fortitude.
Damage:[roll1], slowed on hit.

Reverent-One
2008-12-03, 07:45 PM
Rhadrok sees the mounted goblin and another attempt to leave through the main door down the hall and finds this escape unacceptable. He runs full speed down the hall, preparing himself for more combat.

Use my move and my standard action to run, allowing me to move 14 hexes (7+7). I'll end up right behind the normal goblin.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-04, 01:17 AM
Map (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/One/Battle.jpg)
Okay we're now on Chainge's initiative:
Bashir
Rhadrok
Chainge
Gob1
Gob4
Gob5
Kriv
Gob2
Hieronymous

corax
2008-12-04, 09:24 PM
Fire.

Fire and feathers were not a good mix. And with the apparent leader taking his camel back out. the door Change took the opportunity. It might not be one anyone else in the Great Hall could deal with but he could. Rolling and hoping up the gryphonmage scrabbled for a convenient chair. Grabbing that he strode twords a window. Flinging the chair at that

[roll0]

As the window broke he stepped up on the sill. Chirring loudly at his companion to join. It was even conceivable that the fiddle, hidden in a niche behind a bust would survive the fires. But first the feathered one had to get out intact.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-05, 10:25 AM

As Chainge runs for the other end of the great hall, he sees that there are about two dozen guests still lingering in the hall and captivated by their fantasies, about six of which are actually on fire. The fire might be containable if an organized effort were made to put it out.

Half the goblins and the three albinos make it to the courtyard, where Lady Ashinana begins leading them away. Bashir manages to nick two of them on the way past, while Kriv can only watch in rage.

corax
2008-12-07, 05:44 PM
Change growled.

While his companion glided in. ready to land on his shoulders the mage looks over the still effected patrons of the party. the goblins and those from the dais in full retreat.

a tap on the stone of the windowsill. indicating that the psudodragon settle there. still growling like an annoyed lion the gryphonmage headed to a table. one of the ones piled with food and drink for the partygoers. a huge bows of small-beer at at one end. this he grabbed. something like that was dilute enough in alcohol as to be able to .put out fire. with a grunt he lifted it up. stumbling a bit as he headed for the nearest one on fire.

knowing that he would not be able to override the mind effect he simply dumped the beer on the fire. letting it hiss and splash over the person. then turing to the next. basicly ignoring that one as he stumbled toward the next

[roll0]

[roll1]

(attacks with small-beer)

(other rolls as needed to get the fires out )

Jalor
2008-12-09, 06:20 PM
Hieronymus sprints down the corridor, to get in range for his spells.
Double-run until I'm on the left-rear side of Kriv.

Reverent-One
2008-12-09, 11:54 PM
OOC:
The map in your last post is out of date, with all of us still in the room where our weapons were. And the link to the map in the post before that (the inititiative list) doesn't go anywhere.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-10, 05:38 PM
Is everyone seeing the wrong map, or Just Reverent-One?

As Hieronymous sprints toward his companions, Bashir races back into the great hall to help put out the fires and another goblin races out to join the entourage in the courtyard. (We’re now on Rhad’s initiative.)

Initiative: Bashir
Gob7
Rhadrok
Gob6
Chainge
Gob1
Gob4
Gob5
Gob8
Gob9
Gob10
Kriv
Gob2
Hieronymous

Reverent-One
2008-12-10, 05:40 PM
OOC:
Ok, that map looks up to date, except for not including the courtyard. Don't know if that's intentional or not though. Though I don't plan on going there, so it doesn't really matter.

Rhadrok's attention is divided between the escaping goblins and the spreading fire. While he wants to stop the goblins, he cannot simply allow the helpless guests to burn. With a roar of frustration, he runs inside, helping bashir put out the fires.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-10, 08:30 PM
Yeah, the map itself not changing is intentional. I’m hoping nobody decides to engage the goblins in the courtyard so I don’t have to make this map even bigger.

Goblins continue to stream into the courtyard, completely ignoring you all. Kriv follows your lead to help put out the fire. It appears that the blaze is controllable but it will take time to put it out completely; approximately an hour with everyone helping.

Nearing his original position in the great hall, Chainge once again hears a muffled voice coming from the north-eastmost door. He hears the voice shout “Fire!” repeatedly.

It is now Hieronymous’ turn.

Jalor
2008-12-11, 06:52 PM
Hieronymus steps forward and conjures a cloying wave of inky green mist. It radiates out, towards the goblins.
Three hexes to the right, Hideous Resonance.
Attacks: [roll0], [roll1] vs. Fort.
Damage: [roll2], pushed back 2 squares.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-12, 11:36 AM
Cut Scene:

Hieronymous is able to subdue the last goblin before it escapes the hall. [Living or dead, your choice Jalor.] Everyone else concentrates on putting out the fires, and within about an hour it is done. One guest died of extreme burns, three others will be in a lot of pain when their insanity ends, but the others are mostly alright. In response to sane-sounding shouting coming from behind one locked door, someone smashes it open to find a young woman coughing and gagging from smoke. Despite her condition, she gets the words "drinks...poisoned!" out.

Jalor
2008-12-12, 05:42 PM
OOC: Dead. At this point interrogating a minion won't help much.

"Well, it's a good thing I don't drink alcohol."

He addresses the party.

"Does anyone know who served the drinks? Is there any left over, that I could analyze?"

corax
2008-12-12, 08:09 PM
OOC: Dead. At this point interrogating a minion won't help much.

"Well, it's a good thing I don't drink alcohol."

He addresses the party.

"Does anyone know who served the drinks? Is there any left over, that I could analyze?"

the Gryphonmage waves a wing at one of the minor burn victims. still dripping from the dump of smallbeer over his burning clothing. the liquid dripping from him still. not caring at the moment about the noise outside. . stepping towards the niche with his fiddle. which didn't even have smoke damage. . razing one arm and chittering . calling the psudodragon to his shoulder. as he headed now for the main door. the emergency , for the moment, over.

or was it

Turing his head a moment he watched as one of the effected persons reached for a glass on one of the corner tables. one that had been forgotten. the person. dressed nobly reaching for perhaps the lost glass of wine (or whatever) in the great hall.

with a Roaring caw the mage ran at him. waiving arms and wigs to startle him before he got to the glass

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-12, 09:17 PM
Yeah, you can find a half filled goblet or two.

Jalor
2008-12-13, 08:34 AM
Hieronymus begins examining the drinks, looking for traced of poison or magic.
No clue what skill to use, but [roll0] and just add the modifier.

corax
2008-12-13, 09:07 AM
Hieronymus begins examining the drinks, looking for traced of poison or magic.

notinig the mage was examininig, not drinking. the gryphon finishes his intercept of the 'nobel'
starinig into his face with my large roud golden eyes. atempinig to shock him out of the state by beinig stared at by a preditor.

(intimidation?)

[roll0]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-13, 10:27 AM
Hieronymous calls on his experience with herbal remedies, and discovers the traces of some powdered substance in the wine. Unfortunately he has no idea what particular substance it might be.

Chainge is staring at a delusional guest?

corax
2008-12-13, 10:32 AM
Chainge is staring at a delusional guest?

yes. please

Reverent-One
2008-12-13, 04:03 PM
While Hieronymous examines the drink, Rhadrok heals as many of the injured guests as he can. Once he is done, he walks back over to Hieronymous, "Well, can you tell what it is?"

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-14, 10:23 PM
The guest pats Chainge on the head and says "what a cute birdie!"

corax
2008-12-14, 10:31 PM
The guest pats Chainge on the head and says "what a cute birdie!"

with a shake of his head he turns away. taking a quick look about in case there was yet another emergency. telescopic vison running over even the far walls with quick mm precision. then he turns with a flick of a wing twords the main door. the party was definatly over. And there wasn't anything else keeping the Mage inside.

unless..?

Jalor
2008-12-15, 06:17 AM
While Hieronymous examines the drink, Rhadrok heals as many of the injured guests as he can. Once he is done, he walks back over to Hieronymous, "Well, can you tell what it is?"

"There's a powder in it of some kind, but I can't tell what. Who was responsible for serving these? Would they have drank them as well?"

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-15, 11:24 AM
The woman finally stops coughing uncontrollably, and speaks up. "I saw a pale man pouring something into the wine. When I thought he had left, I started replacing the tainted wine with clean wine, but he returned and then locked me in a closet. You five must have gotten the clean goblets."

Reverent-One
2008-12-15, 02:11 PM
"So Bahamut smiled on us then, most likely so we could deal with these goblins. Very well." Truely noticing the fifth for the first time, he calls out to Chainge, "You there! My apologies for our lack of manners, I am Rhadrok, priest of Bahamut. As we all just barely avoided the fate of the other guests, perhaps you would like to help us rescue them. We captured a goblin last night, at the time not understanding his purpose, though it seems clearer now in hindsight. Hopefully he can lead us to the rest of them."

corax
2008-12-15, 02:21 PM
"So Bahamut smiled on us then, most likely so we could deal with these goblins. Very well." Truely noticing the fifth for the first time, he calls out to Chainge, "You there! My apologies for our lack of manners, I am Rhadrok, priest of Bahamut. As we all just barely avoided the fate of the other guests, perhaps you would like to help us rescue them. We captured a goblin last night, at the time not understanding his purpose, though it seems clearer now in hindsight. Hopefully he can lead us to the rest of them."

turning. bowing my feathered head slightly. "good evening to you. i am called Change. it is nothing to apologize for good sir. "
almost glowing gold eyes stared at him from across the room. taking in details hidden to most at half the distance. "though i am unsure how i may be of service. I am willing to help, Sir Rhadrok. i have head good things of your God in my travels. though i am not a worshiper."

Reverent-One
2008-12-15, 02:58 PM
Rhadork responds with a chuckle, "I'll not hold that against you. And don't underestimate yourself, you seemed to have no problems with the goblins. What is your vocation?"

corax
2008-12-15, 03:29 PM
Rhadork responds with a chuckle, "I'll not hold that against you. And don't underestimate yourself, you seemed to have no problems with the goblins. What is your vocation?"

shrugs "im a fiddler. at least thats where i get most of what i can eat by."

the psudodragon looked up. seeming to fade into existence on the padded sholder of the gryphonmage's clothing.

a small shrug. "after all. i have to feed yon bottomless pit." chucking and pointing a thumb at the minidrake and winking.

"so i guess the question of what ho do first comes up? wether to track the goblins who left with the queen. Or to get your goblin out of hiding."

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-16, 08:34 PM
Retrieving Kidger the goblin from Jard Smith's place shouldn't take more than ten minutes.

Reverent-One
2008-12-17, 09:49 PM
"Let's get our captive first, it won't take long. We'll see if he knows anything about this plan, and if not take him with us as we track this things. If they seem to be leading us to their home in the desert, our captive can take us straight there. Let's get going." Rhadrok leads the way to the blacksmith's place.

So, me, corax, and Jalor are still here. Cold is out of the game I take it, and Gnarg still suffering comp issues?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-18, 08:41 PM
You find Jard Smith in his shop, blissfully ignorant of recent events. From the tools strewn about, you guess that he's been working all day. In a corner lies Kidger, weighed down by what appears to be enough iron chains to incarcerate an elephant.

"Back so soon?" Jard asks. "You're not leaving for the desert tonight are you?"

Haven't heard from Cold or Gnarg, but I'm going to keep Kriv and Bashir on. The adventure is almost through.

Reverent-One
2008-12-20, 10:25 PM
"Unfortunaely, we have bad news. Someone poisoned most the guests with some mind altering potion, and we were the only ones not affected. Most of the rest were kidnapped by a group of goblins. We'll be leaving immediately, following them."

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-21, 12:23 PM
Jard unchains Kidger, except for a single neck chain, and bids you good luck. He then leaves to help the remaining party guests.

Into the desert Kidger leads you. The sun burns, the sand stings and the nights freeze your bones, but after nearly three days Kidger finally stops just before the peak of a dune. Peering over the sandy peak into the gloom of twilight, you make out a twenty foot tall pyramid sticking out of the sand. At its base are a large pavilion, a pen filled with ragged party guests and a six foot stone slab. About a dozen goblins guard the pavilion and pen, and patrol the area.

Map ( http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/One/Battle.jpg)

“Many meals for Zargon.” Kidger whispers to you, after he sees the scene.

corax
2008-12-21, 07:45 PM
Change scans. eyes taking in details too small for any other to see.

"zardon? i don't know.."
shrugs. rustling wings

softly churring before the gryphon points out where the doors and locks and other important bit he can find might be.

"given their spread.. should someone defile the alter first?'

or come around behind the pavilion? taking out that far one and going in though the back of it. to take care of what is inisde first?

Reverent-One
2008-12-25, 05:41 PM
Sorry folks, holidays stuff has kept me busy.

"I think sneaking into the pavilion is our best bet. Hopefully we can prevent the completion of whatever foul ritual they are performing, then we'll free the captured ones." As long as everyone follows, Rhadrok circles around the large area, staying behind whatever dunes are there to hide behind until he gets the point behind the pavillion.

Stealth check if you want it.
[roll0]

corax
2008-12-25, 08:36 PM
Sorry folks, holidays stuff has kept me busy.

"I think sneaking into the pavilion is our best bet. Hopefully we can prevent the completion of whatever foul ritual they are performing, then we'll free the captured ones." As long as everyone follows, Rhadrok circles around the large area, staying behind whatever dunes are there to hide behind until he gets the point behind the pavillion.

Stealth check if you want it.
[roll0]

follows carefully behinid Reverent-One. eyes wide. watching for everything

Perception
[roll0]

Stealth
[roll1]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-26, 11:30 AM
Sorry guys, distracted by holiday stuff. Will resume Monday.

corax
2008-12-26, 12:26 PM
Sorry guys, distracted by holiday stuff. Will resume Monday.

not at ALL!! enjoy your holiday!

And to all a Good day and night!

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-31, 12:03 PM
You think you are about to make it unseen to the pavilion when Kriv steps on the back of Chainge's foot/talon. Caught off balance, Chainge lurches forward which startles his pseudodragon, who squawks angrily. The two nearest goblins stops walking their beats and look directly at the group of heroes. Roll initiative!

Gob8: 6
Gob9: 6

...and seeing as how I rolled 1s for both goblins, declare your surprise round actions!

corax
2008-12-31, 12:49 PM
You think you are about to make it unseen to the pavilion when Kriv steps on the back of Chainge's foot/talon. Caught off balance, Chainge lurches forward which startles his pseudodragon, who squawks angrily. The two nearest goblins stops walking their beats and look directly at the group of heroes. Roll initiative!

Gob8: 6
Gob9: 6

...and seeing as how I rolled 1s for both goblins, declare your surprise round actions!

Squawks and flaps. immediately crouching and holding out a taloned arm towards te goblin by the pavilion,. unsure weather to shoot the pavalion itself, the slab or the goblin. eyes bright as they dart from one to the next

(what is the slab made of?)

(thinking of maximum interference with any ceremony)

magic missile roll
1d20+5

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-31, 03:24 PM
The slab is made of stone.

corax
2009-01-04, 12:30 AM
attempting magic missile roll again. to goblin nearest the pavilion

[roll0]

Reverent-One
2009-01-05, 06:12 PM
Rhadrok moves closer to one of the goblins, hammer at the ready.

Moves 5 hexes north towards goblin 9.
Init roll [roll0]

Apologies on my absence, been gone for the weekend, could come online to check things once or twice, but didn't have much time.

Jalor
2009-01-06, 06:27 AM
[roll0] initiative

Tequila Sunrise
2009-01-06, 03:22 PM
One goblin has to duck quickly to avoid Chainge’s magical bolt (hit!), and then a quirrel from Bashir’s crossbow hits its leg. Rhadrok moves in closer to the injured goblin while Kriv launches a javelin at the nearest goblin and narrowly misses (hit Gob8). It is now Hieronymous’ turn!

Map ( http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Slateskies/One/Battle.jpg)

Init: Chainge 21
Bashir 14
Rhadrok 13
Kriv 12
Hieronymous 10
Gob9 6
Gob8 6

Jalor
2009-01-11, 09:35 AM
Waving his orb, he fires an icy bolt at a nearby goblin.

Ray of Frost at gob8.
Attack: [roll0] vs. Fort
Damage: [roll1] slowed for one turn on hit.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-01-11, 02:09 PM
Hieronymous' spell goes wide. The two goblins scream what you can only guess must mean "intruders! attack!" in goblin, and then hurl javelins at you. One wildly misses Bashir, but the other only narrowly misses Chainge (hit for 3 damage). As you all tense your muscles, you see a large shadow become visible from the inside of the pavilion.

It is now Chainge's turn. (The map has not changed.)

corax
2009-01-13, 11:51 PM
a leonine hiss spraying out of the gryphonmages beak. dropping to one knee and truing slightly. taking several extra seconds to aim tis time. focusing to shoot the missile through the silk of the pavilion and into the shape getting up

firing

[roll0]

Tequila Sunrise
2009-01-14, 09:55 AM
Chainge's careful aim pays off! His magical bolt puts a whole in the pavilion and then you hear a cry of pain from inside. Bashir rushes and harries the northern goblin, which looks to be on his last legs.

Rhadrock's turn.

Reverent-One
2009-01-14, 01:29 PM
Rhadrok runs at the goblin, attempting to put it down now.

Charging Goblin 9
[roll0]
[roll1]

Tequila Sunrise
2009-01-15, 09:44 PM
Rhadrok charges and misses, as does Kriv. It is now Hieronymous' go.