PDA

View Full Version : DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online)

Thrudh
2008-11-03, 03:59 PM
Any of you play this game?

valadil
2008-11-03, 04:07 PM
I did but retired. I loved every minute of it and got too into the game so I had to quit. I may pick it up again for a month at a time but I have no intention to become a regular again.

FWIW I was Spoot on Ghallanda.

ocato
2008-11-03, 08:01 PM
I've tried to get into it a few times. Can't find anyone to play with, really. It's a lot of standing around waiting or trying to form a party, then a bunch of folk on their 90th character who want to bumrush the end and scream over voice chat because I haven't memorized every trap, chest, nook and cranny.

valadil
2008-11-03, 10:25 PM
I've heard complaints over how newbies get treated. Players are usually nicer if you point out that you're a newb and you need guidance. They'll still rush through the quest, but they'll tell you what you need to know to keep up. It may also vary from server to server. I found Ghallanda to be newb friendly, but it was 2.5 years ago when I started playing so maybe people weren't so hardcore back then.

Innis Cabal
2008-11-03, 10:33 PM
I Beta'd it. I hated it, tried it after that, still hated it. For a D&D game...its so....liniar and the graphics are poor.

Turbine..you failed me

Tom_Violence
2008-11-04, 04:50 AM
I've tried to get into it a few times. Can't find anyone to play with, really. It's a lot of standing around waiting or trying to form a party, then a bunch of folk on their 90th character who want to bumrush the end and scream over voice chat because I haven't memorized every trap, chest, nook and cranny.

Yeah, that was pretty much my complaint exactly. I can imagine it being kinda fun if you and a bunch of mates went through it with each other, but as a MMOG it really doesn't work at all. That and when I was last playing it every single other character on the server was a drow. :smallsigh:

Hazkali
2008-11-04, 10:17 AM
I played a 10-day free trial with a friend towards the end of the summer. I enjoyed it, but only because we played together and it was my first MMO experience. Most of the criticisms I had for it are probably general MMO criticisms- the graphics are ~5 years behind stand-alone games, the quests are repetitive and you *will* be tired of fighting kobolds long before they finish being the standard enemy. Dungeon environments, too, are all quite same-y.

DrizztFan24
2008-11-04, 03:40 PM
I've played it. Don't expect a regular adventure unless you find a roleplaying group. But yes there are annoying people (just like any other MMO), there are newbs (just like any other MMO), there are kids who think that their character can beat yours up because they spend all day at the Auction House (kind of like any other MMO). But the game is still good. The people to play it may not quite be "up-to-par" though.

But I loved it...alot. It is different from DnD though, still no druid and I don't think they have a monks....its been a while since I have played.

ocato
2008-11-04, 03:52 PM
But I loved it...alot. It is different from DnD though, still no druid and I don't think they have a monks....its been a while since I have played.

Actually, when I picked it back up briefly, they had added monks. Though it was a weird stance and strike situation kind of like ToB. I didn't like it that much.

WychWeird
2008-11-08, 05:12 AM

They now have monks....

I loved DDO initially - it was an online AD&D! I still enjoy it occasionally but it suffers greatly from powergaming/munchkinism - you are expected to have a specific build (by other players) in order to take part in the more difficult quests, something I detest in any game. Added to that is the fact that the weapons that make quests easy are snaffled by the hardcore gamers (they have the money to outbid you on the auction of they loot run to get those items to sell at outrageous prices) and so you're not invited as you're not effective. I play RPGs because I enjoy playing characters - I don't want to play cookie cutter 'robots' where I must use X, equip Y or do Z.

valadil
2008-11-08, 04:06 PM
Wych, I think your critique is a little harsh. I found that as long as I filled the role I told them I'd fill most groups didn't care what my build was. I knew sorcerers who tanked, bards who healed, wizards who did traps. Hell, I played a bard who healed, disabled traps/doors, and handled CC all at the same time. Basically you just have to tell people what you're playing when you join the group.