PDA

View Full Version : 4E unarmed combat

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-03, 06:08 PM
Are there any effective unarmed builds for 4e yet?

Tadanori Oyama
2008-11-03, 06:11 PM
No.

I haven't seen any "official" feats, builds, or other stuff for unarmed fighting aside from the "Monk" mock-build Wizards released at the start of 4E (it's a variant on the Two-Weapon ranger).

If you want to do something other than that, gotta make up your own.

Shadow_Elf
2008-11-03, 06:16 PM
Well, without a proficiency bonus, they are not really viable. They also have very low damage. I think that when the PHB 3 or PHB 4 comes out, one of them will have Qi powered heroes, which will include everyone's favourite unarmed fighter, the Monk. Until then, you may have to content yourself with the Spiked Gauntlets in the AV. Or try [/self advertising]

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-03, 09:05 PM
Hmm, actually, Spiked Gauntlets fit my character image pretty well. How effective are they as a weapon in 4e?

Am I looking at a 2 weapon ranger that uses spiked gauntlets at this point?

SadisticFishing
2008-11-03, 09:07 PM
Belt of the Brawler, in the AV, lets you treat your unarmed strikes as clubs.

MammonAzrael
2008-11-03, 09:13 PM
You might also be able to utilize the new Fighter path, Tempest (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dramp/20080905), with the Spiked Gauntlets.

The full Tempest path should be out with the Martial Power book. Could turn out well.

Starsinger
2008-11-03, 10:15 PM
Belt of the Brawler, in the AV, lets you treat your unarmed strikes as clubs.

Isn't the new Rogue type in Martial Power supposed to utilize maces and clubs?

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-03, 10:19 PM
It seems kinda lame to design my character on the premise that I get that specific magic item.

Asbestos
2008-11-03, 11:00 PM
Mechanically, aside from the weapon group, spiked gauntlets and sickles are the same thing.

Your spiked gauntlet wearing ranger (or whatever) would be basically the same as a club or sickle wielding ranger. It'd be sub-optimal, but it wouldn't be useless.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-04, 03:30 AM
It seems kinda lame to design my character on the premise that I get that specific magic item.

Well, yes, but on the other hand 4E is quite clear on the idea that you should always get the items that you want. Either the DM gives them to you, or he gives you level-appropriate money which you can use in Ye Magicke Item Shoppe.

For unarmed combat, I'd suggest going Rogue, because you'll still do substantial damage with sneak attack. That means you'd have to houserule rogues being able to sneak attack with gauntlets, but that's no biggie balance-wise (and you're already nerfing yourself big time on the to-hit bonus).

Sebastian
2008-11-04, 03:35 AM

Why? it is 4e, all you need is someone with the right (low level) ritual, money for the components and one hour of time (and being the appropriate level, of course, but that goes without saying) and you can have any magic items you want, barred some GM home rules/variations.

And beside the GM should give you the magic items more appropriate for your character, I think it is even wrote in the books somewhere.