PDA

View Full Version : mapping program

quillbreaker
2008-11-03, 06:30 PM
I'm looking for a program that can show a map in one window, but reveal it in parts in another window. You could point one monitor at the players and reveal it in pieces as they explored, but have the whole thing revealed for your own use on the other monitor. Preferably it can work against an arbitrary image instead of a tile-based map system.

I'm looking for it, because if it doesn't exist, I'm going to write it. So I would really like to find that it already exists.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-11-03, 06:54 PM
non that I know of... shouldn't be to hard though. though you could do this Ghetto like with other windows like note pad covering up all the unseen spots.

adanedhel9
2008-11-03, 07:20 PM
This is on the Screen Monkey list of features - but I've never even used that product (I'm not even sure how I remembered this tidbit).

If you have two computers, you could probably rig something up with Map Tools.

Raum
2008-11-03, 08:37 PM
I'm looking for a program that can show a map in one window, but reveal it in parts in another window. You could point one monitor at the players and reveal it in pieces as they explored, but have the whole thing revealed for your own use on the other monitor. Preferably it can work against an arbitrary image instead of a tile-based map system.Fantasy Grounds (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/) is capable of that and more. As a VTT, it may be more than you're looking for though. You might try some of the other VTTs such as MapTool or OpenRPG as well.

quillbreaker
2008-11-03, 08:54 PM
We're all local, though, so anything client-server seems overkill.

Nattypat
2008-11-03, 08:59 PM
Photoshop?

Create a "fog of war" layer that is a solid color and lay it over your map, erasing as it is revealed.