PDA

View Full Version : Haley's Shrinking Wound

mockingbyrd7
2008-11-03, 08:18 PM
Just a little detail I noticed: in the latest comic (604), after Haley declares that the sneak attack made on her doesn't count, the wound on her back shrinks to about a third the size.
I just thought that was really clever and deserved to be pointed out. Anyone else catch this?

Heroic
2008-11-03, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I noticed it. It's that level of deatail in a stick figure comic that makes the OotS the best comic of all!

Lira
2008-11-03, 08:22 PM
Yeah, a few people pointed it out in the discussion thread. I thought it was a nice touch, I love those types of little details Rich puts into the strip.

Warlord JK
2008-11-03, 10:01 PM
Never noticed it. But yeah, little details like that make OotS what it is.

Edhelras
2008-11-04, 03:50 AM
I like that too - but have you guys noticed that between panel 6 and 7, the wound shifts from Haley's right flank to her left?

A little mistake by the Giant, I'm afraid... :smalltongue:

I forgive him for it, though...

Shadowcaller
2008-11-04, 04:24 AM
I would like to redirect you to this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0034.html) comic, apperently damage and such things change the more rules you add to it.

Daran
2008-11-04, 08:20 AM
Nice details. Reminds me of my RPG Group ...

Too bad this didn't work for the high cleric of Azure City when battling Redcloak.
No.456 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html)
"Does a 21 save?"

Later in Roy's afterlife he was shown complaining that he had 23(?) instead of a 21. Too bad he didn't see that when he rolled.
Would have been fun seing him pop up again after beeing destroyed by that spell if he managed the save with 23 and only calculated wrong. :smallbiggrin:

WarriorTribble
2008-11-04, 08:36 AM
Huh, I immediately looked for the shrinkage since I figured it was a necessity otherwise her "no sneak attack for you" line would've been weakened considerably.

Cleverdan22
2008-11-04, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I saw it. I thought it was pretty clever, and it's that kind of thing that keeps me coming back to the comic.

Tengu_temp
2008-11-04, 09:15 AM
Too bad this didn't work for the high cleric of Azure City when battling Redcloak.
No.456 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html)
"Does a 21 save?"

He deserved to die anyway. What kind of idiot cleric uses offensive spells instead of self-buffing himself into the stratosphere and kicking ass?

Captain Six
2008-11-04, 09:35 AM
He deserved to die anyway. What kind of idiot cleric uses offensive spells instead of self-buffing himself into the stratosphere and kicking ass?

Me personally.:smallfrown: I'm to paranoid of ones on my saving throw to spend time buffing while every spell cast on me equates to instant death. I would have pulled out a weapon though, AoO and spell disruption and whatnot would have been nice.

That being said that scene was one of my favorites.

PandaCthulhu
2008-11-04, 10:30 AM
I have to say I missed the shrinking wound, even though I was looking for it following Haley's comment.

But then, I had missed the fact that the wound was right through, so I was looking for a wound on her right side only and not also on the left, and I was expecting Haley's blood to be red, not orange (at least, it looks the same shade of orange as her hair on both my screens).

But I agree, it was a nice touch.

NENAD
2008-11-04, 10:45 AM
This shrinking wound is a total derailment of Haley's character! Order of the Stick is ruined forever because of this strip!

derfenrirwolv
2008-11-04, 10:54 AM

Any smart, high level one.

At low levels (below 12 or so) buffing yourself up, putting a good score in str and taking weapon focus makes you a decent fighter and meat shield. Enchant your weapon, cast a few buffs, and you can pound BETTER than the fighter.

Theres only two problems with that. 1 is that it takes 3 rounds to get a decent amount of buffs going. Thats fine when you manage to surprise your foes, but if theres no surprise (or worse, YOU're the surprised one) thats three rounds you spent nod doing any damage. Meanwhile...

At that level the game is a race to instant death. No matter how much thor's might you pile on, you're not going to be able to do more damage to a cleric than they can heal in a round. How concentration works in the comics aside, theres no way a high level cleric is ever going to miss a concentration check to cast on the defensive.

While you're slowly chipping away at their hit points, the cleric who has spell focus necromancy and greater spell focus necromancy is going to be forcing you to make saves every round or die through spells like harm or destruction.
Unlike damage inflicted by a blunt metal object, you can't heal back up from a missed save.

someonenonotyou
2008-11-04, 12:54 PM
wow i didnt see that thats cool:smallbiggrin: go Rich

Optimystik
2008-11-08, 02:53 PM

More importantly, what kind of cleric that can cast 5th level spells doesn't cast Spell Resistance? And that goes for both of them.

TerrickTerran
2008-11-08, 06:37 PM
ones going for some humor instead of optimization?:smallbiggrin:

tribble
2008-11-08, 07:11 PM
ones going for some humor instead of optimization?:smallbiggrin:

or the ones who dont intend to risk letting the opponent have one more crack at them. observe:

PopeAlexander: Spell resistance!
Mohammedali: slay living!
Popealexander: darn, i rolled a one. *boom*