PDA

View Full Version : RAM questions:

Lupy
2008-11-03, 11:04 PM
So I'm about to install some more RAM on my desktop, I know what I'm getting already, but as I was browsing around I came up with a question: Is there any reason why I can't have 3.5 gigs of RAM? ( 1GB Sticks and 1 512 MB).

Also: Laptops- How hard is it to change the RAM?

KingRexII
2008-11-03, 11:16 PM
So I'm about to install some more RAM on my desktop, I know what I'm getting already, but as I was browsing around I came up with a question: Is there any reason why I can't have 3.5 gigs of RAM? ( 1GB Sticks and 1 512 MB).

Yes, there is a reason. Motherboards can only handle a maximum amount above which it won't use properly. Find out that max first before buying!

Gray Jester
2008-11-03, 11:17 PM

Also: Laptops- How hard is it to change the RAM?

1) There isn't really, but it's inefficient, and you might not have the four RAM slots on your motherboard. IIRC, most only have 2 slots. I have a computer with 512+128 MB of RAM, no reason you couldn't have some other crazy combination. It's just not as efficient slot-wise as say, 2x2GB sticks. The only concern would be if the processor (or is it the address bus? I'm more a software person then a hardware person) can't address that much memory, but as long as it's from 2000 onwards, you should be fine up to 4GB.

2) Depends on the manufacturer of the laptop and how it's made, etc., but many laptops are hard to open up, and also often sacrifice modability for space concerns, adding to the difficulty and perhaps also cutting down on the number of slots. It's things like that, and it also depends heavily on the manufacturer.

adanedhel9
2008-11-03, 11:20 PM
I think all your RAM sticks usually have to be the same size. On a motherboard with 4 paired slots, you can sometimes get away with a configuration like (1 GB - empty - 512 MB - 512 MB) where each pair has the same total.

I've never swapped any memory on a laptop personally, but I've seen other people do it. It actually looks even easier than on a desktop.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-11-03, 11:23 PM
1. If you get two (or four) sticks of exactly the same type, make, etc (ex: 2x1066 2GB sticks from OCZ), they work as dual-channel memory (which is a lot faster and more efficient, since the computer addresses both sticks at the same time, making more efficient use of FSB). That's also as long as you stick them into corresponding slots (slot 1 and slot 3, also slot 2 and slot 4).

If you have a weird combination of memory or stick them into wrong slots (slot 1 and slot 2 for example), they function as single channel, so the second stick only starts to work when the first one is full, which ends up being a lot slower in the end. They do work though.

Also, nowadays most good memory comes in packages of two, so it works as dual channel straight out of the box.

2. It's really easy, there's usually a latch at the bottom of the laptop that you can unscrew and change sticks of RAM. It IS easier than on a desktop. Just remember that there's usually just two slots and not 4 like on a desktop.

Gray Jester
2008-11-03, 11:25 PM
I think all your RAM sticks usually have to be the same size. On a motherboard with 4 paired slots, you can sometimes get away with a configuration like (1 GB - empty - 512 MB - 512 MB) where each pair has the same total.

Well, I think it actually depends on how the motherboard is handling them, and if they're all on one bus or several, etc. I have a computer with a 512 MB and a 128 MB, and I know with most Mac laptops you can get away with murder (e.x. 1 gb built in, plus 256mb added on). With Mac laptops it's also incredibly easy to add RAM, or at least it was (haven't seen the modern ones).

Ponce
2008-11-04, 12:49 AM
If you are using a 32-bit operating system or a 32-bit hardware system (excessively likely) then you can utilize at most 4gb of memory addresses (places your computer can write to). A large portion of these addresses must be devoted to expansion slot devices (ethernet cards, video cards, sound cards). This could be anywhere from 0.5-1 gigabyte of memory. Whats left can be assigned as RAM, if you have enough physical RAM to make use of it. As such, do not assume that your computer will be able to make use of more than 3 gigabytes of RAM, you could very well be wasting your money. Again, if you have either a 32-bit OS or a processor without 64-bit support, 3.5gb is the absolute limit, and I would not push past 3gb without first checking that the computer has the addresses available (this can be done if you are able to borrow a stick of ram that would put you at the 4gb, and seeing how much the computer can identify).

If you have a computer with 64-bit hardware (say, a Core 2 Duo processor and a compatible motherboard) AS WELL as a 64-bit operating system (for example, if you had windows XP x64 for some reason) then your system could make use of many more memory addresses (to the point where you would be limited only by the number of available physical slots).

When buying RAM make absolutely sure that the make of RAM and its speed is compatible with your motherboard.

Installing RAM on a laptop is not difficult if it has a memory access port, which it probably does.

Vizen
2008-11-04, 01:10 AM
My laptop died a couple of weeks ago. Just completely died. Some hardware problem no doubt. So I opened it up (So I voided the warranty. Whoops.) and the RAM was sitting comfortably right there in the middle. 2 sticks of 512 RAM, one on top of the other. Took one out, had a good look at it, and shoved it back in. The other stick was easily obtainable too.

So...Changing the RAM on a laptop isn't too hard. The problem is getting the right kind of RAM though. IIRC laptop RAM is completely different then a normal PC ram (as in, shape, etc.)

Lupy
2008-11-04, 06:21 PM
I'm running a 32 bit system, Hewlett Packard, and I've done taken Ram out before, and have a healthy understanding on putting it in. It makes sense that the dual channel wouldn't work, but if I did this:

SLOT 1 SLOT 3
1G 1G

SLOT 2 SLOT 4
1G 512 M

Would 1 & 3's dual channel work?