PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Ranger 3lvl power - what to do ?

tyfon
2008-11-04, 08:56 AM
Hi guys !

As my character (2-w ranger) is soon to advance to 3rd level, I was looking for power to take and...

3lvl attack powers are , well, underpowered ... :|

Compared to other classes, I do not know what to take, even some of 1lvl seem better. What would You do ?

Tengu_temp
2008-11-04, 09:03 AM
You jokin'? Shadow Wasp Strike is crappy, but other third level ranger encounter powers are very good. Disruptive Strike is more useful for archers, so I'd suggest Cut and Run or Thundertusk Boar Strike.

Guinea Anubis
2008-11-04, 09:06 AM
Cut and Run is great, I love it on my TWR.

tyfon
2008-11-04, 09:09 AM
Well, I ll try. My experience shows that I'm not moving too much, but we will see...

Tengu_temp
2008-11-04, 09:13 AM
Well, I ll try. My experience shows that I'm not moving too much, but we will see...

You should - the attack bonus for flanking is not something to ignore.

tyfon
2008-11-04, 09:14 AM
You are right, but wading between enemies while having AC 17 is something You should avoid at all cost

Tengu_temp
2008-11-04, 09:17 AM
And that's why Cut and Run is good - because shifting doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. And you can always run away behind the party tank with it.

tyfon
2008-11-04, 09:22 AM
Yes, but to hit "bad guy" with flanking bonus You have to be "behind" - so problem is usually getting there, not getting away - because in most of fights enemies are coming in groups. That's why I do not think I'll have much use of this power besides (1W+str)*2 - which is good, but there is better power on lvl 1.

caden_varn
2008-11-04, 09:31 AM
Well, you need to be opposite another character - so if they are shifting too, you can get flanking without having to move so much yourself.

if you find enemies bunching too much to flank easily, you need to try pushing/puilling/sliding them. If youyr group has no powers to do this, try bullrush.

Basically, you need to work as a team - you are much more effective this way in 4E.

You could also pick up the feat for +2 to AC vs Opportunity attacks (or do you get that free as a Ranger - can't remember).

tyfon
2008-11-04, 09:39 AM
It is never worth risk. My observation is I cannot make myself target, because goblin crosbowmen hit me on '8' roll - so with my hp score I'm not going to risk (striker below 0 hp is not worth much, anyway) - this is reason why I avoid going in-between enemies.

I think I ll try to save combats round by round, to see later if I missed any opportunities.

Yakk
2008-11-04, 12:06 PM
So flanking roughly increases your damage output by 20%. That's a big thing to be losing.

You are a high-strength melee ranger. You are probably wearing hide. You get +1 AC from your level. That brings you up to 14 AC -- and you get +3 from other sources (dex and maybe enchanted hide?)

Cut and Run gives you attack and shift power. You can use this to move into position, as well as getting out of it.

Disruptive Strike works well ... if you have the ability to attack your target. It rewards you for opening yourself up to being attacked -- you both waste an enemy attack by giving it a big penalty, and you do extra damage.

If you need more AC, going Two Weapon Fighting -> Two Weapon Defense generates a +1 AC and +1 to your Reflex defense (and +1 on your primary hand attacks).

Yakk
2008-11-04, 12:16 PM
So flanking roughly increases your damage output by 20%. That's a big thing to be losing.

You are a high-strength melee ranger. You are probably wearing hide. You get +1 AC from your level. That brings you up to 14 AC -- and you get +3 from other sources (dex and maybe enchanted hide?)

Cut and Run gives you attack and shift power. You can use this to move into position, as well as getting out of it.

Disruptive Strike works well ... if you have the ability to attack your target. It rewards you for opening yourself up to being attacked -- you both waste an enemy attack by giving it a big penalty, and you do extra damage.

If you need more AC, going Two Weapon Fighting -> Two Weapon Defense generates a +1 AC and +1 to your Reflex defense (and +1 on your primary hand attacks).

Guinea Anubis
2008-11-04, 01:10 PM
I find Cut and Run one of my best powers when fighting groups because,

1, I can target 1 or 2 things with it.
2. I can shift after the first or second attack
3. shifting does not provoke attacks of opportunity

So if a tank runs in you can follow him in and attack ( 1[w]+str main hand) shift to get in to flanking and attack again at +2 (1[w]+str off hand). then next round the tank and you both have the +2 from flanking. Another thing I like about CaR is if you are fighting somethign that is almost dead and you think 1 more hit will kill it use CaR and if you do kill it you can now shift to a new target and attack it, if not you still have another attack to kill it.