PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Wanted: Advice on playing the Swordmage

DragonBaneDM
2008-11-04, 11:40 AM
Hello friends. I am finally, after what seems like a millenia of DMing, I'm finally getting a chance to play.

And you know that one player who spends half the time optimizing his character, and ruins every...single...plan...you've...ever...had?

Yeah, that guy's the DM.

So, I've decided to be the first one in our party to playtest the Swordmage. I'm human, and I've got a backstory in which that's a must. I'm also trying out the Sheilding Path. We've got an Avenging Paladin, War Wizard, Laser Cleric and TWF Ranger, so I figure our damage output will work well, but we could use a little more control and defense.

I've got his stats all figured out, it was a 32 point buy, so he's okay, if anyone wants to see those, let me know.

What I really need is advice on powers. And what I should be doing in a fight. Never played a Swordmage before, so I need someone who's a bit of a pro.

Oh, and don't think I'm a lightweight, I've got 24 HP and 55 HP at Level 5, which matches the Paladin!

Inyssius Tor
2008-11-04, 05:41 PM
If you ask me to optimize, the results will be painful; however, I'll save the real numbercrunchers some time by asking you what your attributes are.

...?

EDIT: Augh, this is a double-thread. I'd advise you all go look at the other one, since it contains actual advice.