PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Question about Kobold's Slight Build

Tyrael
2008-11-04, 02:43 PM
Slight Build (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) states that "Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character."

My question is, exactly what does this apply to? What kinds of opposed checks are there that are modified by size, and when would they be advantageous? For example, being one size category smaller would give a +4 bonus to opposed Hide checks, which is good, but it also gives -4 to Grapples, that sort of thing.

The only size-modified opposed checks I know of are Hide, Grapple, Trip, Bull Rush, or Disarm. Are there any others? If so, are any of them advantageous for the Kobold?

Eldariel
2008-11-04, 02:46 PM
It means they're treated one size smaller for Hiding, squeezing and so on while treated their actual size for grapple, trip and so on. Basically, take whichever results in better bonuses to the character and go with that.

Deth Muncher
2008-11-04, 02:53 PM
Basically, the opposite of powerful build, which lets you do nifty things as though you were a size larger without the negatives.

Ascension
2008-11-04, 03:00 PM
I also imagine some of the anti-big-folk grappling feats would be further enhanced by being even smaller, but I can't recall any specific examples off the top of my head.

Person_Man
2008-11-04, 03:04 PM
I also imagine some of the anti-big-folk grappling feats would be further enhanced by being even smaller, but I can't recall any specific examples off the top of my head.

Confound the Big Folk and Underfoot Combat. There are a bunch of tiny but deadly builds out there that use Blade Bravo and/or Iaijutsu Focus and/or Sneak Attack in general.

OverdrivePrime
2008-11-04, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a few feats and spells in addition to those mentioned above that give combat bonuses based on the differences in size categories between the character and her foe.

ocato
2008-11-04, 03:41 PM
Slight build is pretty neat. I've been trying to figure out how to make a halfling or gnome fighter/rogue who specializes in confound the bigfolk/giantbane/underfoot fighting style combat, but the main problem is that you blow a lot of feats on fighting large creatures and then the DM marches an army of mediums at you. Still, that's a pretty neat build plan that I might have to try anyway...

KevLar
2008-11-04, 03:45 PM
Confound the Big Folk and Underfoot Combat. There are a bunch of tiny but deadly builds out there that use Blade Bravo and/or Iaijutsu Focus and/or Sneak Attack in general.
May I ask what is Blade Bravo and where it is?

ocato
2008-11-04, 03:49 PM
It's a gnome rapier fighter build that grants sneak attack and a few other spoony tricks. It's in Races of Stone.

KevLar
2008-11-04, 04:49 PM
Thanks. :)

Tyrael
2008-11-05, 03:27 PM
Are there any other races with Slight Build? Or just Kobold?

Hal
2008-11-05, 03:39 PM
Slight build is pretty neat. I've been trying to figure out how to make a halfling or gnome fighter/rogue who specializes in confound the bigfolk/giantbane/underfoot fighting style combat, but the main problem is that you blow a lot of feats on fighting large creatures and then the DM marches an army of mediums at you. Still, that's a pretty neat build plan that I might have to try anyway...

Do those feats require you to be fighting something Large (or larger), or just that the creature is 2 or more size categories bigger than you?

If that were the case, it seems like slight build would let you apply those feats to a medium creature if you were small.