PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] aquatic lycanthrope cheese

ThrustVectoring
2008-11-04, 03:58 PM
just wondering if it would either A) work, or B) you'd let it work if you DM'd

use the lycanthrope template to make a were-giant octopus. LA +3 and 8 HD means I only get 9 levels before reaching 20, but its enough. Get a level of lion totem barbarian 1(ECL 12) for pounce, and the multiweapon fighting feat and improved multiweapon fighting feat at some point. Then 4 or 5 levels of warshaper (ECL 16), then 2 or 3 levels of any prestige class with full BAB you qualify for (thinking occult slayer, although anything works really), then a single level of fighter at ECL20.

Here is the cheese: use the hybrid form of the lycanthrope to have eight arms to attack with. Charge out of hiding somewhere and pounce someone with eight copies of this weapon:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#rapierofPuncturing

Getting a single level of fighter at level 20 is because you get the 15th BAB at level 20, and 15 BAB is the pre-req for greater multiweapon fighting, which replaces greater two-weapon fighting, which is a fighter feat. With greater multiweapon fighting, you can make up to three attacks with each weapon you wield. Use each of these three attacks per weapon to make a touch attack that deals 1d6 constitution damage. If we assume a high CON score of say, 28, that translates to needing to hit with eight attacks in order to kill the opponent by constitution damage. You have 24 touch attacks. Odds are, they die.

Oh, and you have 15 foot reach with the rapiers from large size + warshaper.

Ideas for buffs etc would be nice. Antimagic field would work, since it is a 10 foot radius emanation, and you have 15 foot reach, which means you could make the touch attacks from inside an antimagic field.

Glyde
2008-11-04, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't let it happen. There's not very many plausible RP excuses for it.

Now a were-seawolf on the other hand...

ThrustVectoring
2008-11-04, 05:05 PM

Octopi are carnivorous/omnivorous right? They also have a bite attack.

Both are important for making a lycanthrope of an animal that isn't premade for you.

hamishspence
2008-11-04, 05:05 PM
Hybrid form- should it have arms, and octopus lower body? Ursula!

Merfolk-were octopus. Or possibly Merfolk Tauric Giant Octopus

Aventi is good for breathing both air and water.

Glyde
2008-11-04, 05:14 PM
Octopi are carnivorous/omnivorous right? They also have a bite attack.

Both are important for making a lycanthrope of an animal that isn't premade for you.

I forgot to mention:

Eight arms is a little much for a PC. That's another reason why I wouldn't allow it in a normal campaign - Maybe as an encounter, but I don't want to have to work with balancing things for a weregiantoctopus and everyone else.

ThrustVectoring
2008-11-04, 05:15 PM
Hybrid form- should it have arms, and octopus lower body? Ursula!

that would be even worse, since you'd get the eight tentacle attacks on top of two arms to attack with. By RAW though, you'd lose the improved grab. Unless you took bear totem barbarian, which would then exclude taking lion totem barbarian.

Is there another way to gain pounce other than lion totem barbarian? Or another way to gain improved grab on natural attacks with the tentacles? I'm brainstorming something stupid with a justicar were-giant octopus.

Irreverent Fool
2008-11-04, 05:20 PM

I still don't think were-rats make a whole heck of a lot of sense. I wouldn't let it happen either, but that's just because it's sooooooo cheesy. The idea actually has merit and a good story for it could be quite unique/humorous.

I'd just take the typical werewolf story and replace all references of 'wolf' with 'octopus'. They do have a land speed, you know.

But, lo! what awful change is taking place in the form of that doomed being? His handsome countenance elongates into one of savage and brute-like shape; the rich garments which he wears become a rough, shaggy, and wiry skin; his body loses its human contours, his arms and limbs take another form; and, with a frantic howl of misery, to which the woods give horribly faithful reverberations, and, with a rush like a hurling wind, the wretch starts wildly away, no longer a man, but a monstrous octopus!

As far as buffs go, I'm not fond of antimagic field because it negates any other defenses you might have. Ironward (SpC) is my favorite spell of all-time. The highest-level version makes the character completely immune to any attacks with metal weapons.

A high bonus to Strength (or dex if you use finesse) is probably a good idea, since it's really going to make a difference with that many attacks. Since you're buying so many swords I don't know how much gold you'll have left for other gear, but a simple bull's stength is quite a boon.

obnoxious
sig

ThrustVectoring
2008-11-04, 05:38 PM
A high bonus to Strength (or dex if you use finesse) is probably a good idea, since it's really going to make a difference with that many attacks. Since you're buying so many swords I don't know how much gold you'll have left for other gear, but a simple bull's stength is quite a boon.

I'm really looking for something that'll let my meelee touch attacks to deal constitution damage to get through enemy buffs. I can punt a couple of the rapiers for other one-handed weapons to deal with buffs.

Can anti-magic field be put on an item of some sort? If so, I can hold it 15 feet away with a tentacle and attempt to kill someone really buffed with an anti-magic field + 21 attacks.

Siegel
2008-11-04, 05:40 PM
I still don't think were-rats make a whole heck of a lot of sense. I wouldn't let it happen either, but that's just because it's sooooooo cheesy. The idea actually has merit and a good story for it could be quite unique/humorous.

Why the ratkin hate ? I really like Wererats as an Idea, whats your problem ? I don't really offend you because of that i just want to know what your problem with them is. :smallsmile:

Irreverent Fool
2008-11-04, 07:53 PM
I'm really looking for something that'll let my meelee touch attacks to deal constitution damage to get through enemy buffs. I can punt a couple of the rapiers for other one-handed weapons to deal with buffs.
Right. What I was suggesting is buffing up your chance to hit. Missing on touch attacks is annoying. I know they're already easy but there's no reason not to make them easier.

Can anti-magic field be put on an item of some sort? If so, I can hold it 15 feet away with a tentacle and attempt to kill someone really buffed with an anti-magic field + 21 attacks.
I don't think it can by the RAW. I think you can apply the sculpt spell metamagic to it though.

Why the ratkin hate ? I really like Wererats as an Idea, whats your problem ? I don't really offend you because of that i just want to know what your problem with them is. :smallsmile:
I just think they're a bit silly. They work out quite well in play and the fluff is good, but I can never really take them seriously. I was just using that to point out that a wereoctopus isn't any worse than any other werecreature.
obnoxious
sig

hamishspence
2008-11-05, 01:44 PM
Strict hybrid lycanthrope rules say- claws, bite, thats it. No eight tentacles in hybrid form.

Though I did find myself wondering how to get an Ursula. Without needing an artifact to boost her.

Merfolk tauric giant octopus. With Evil subtype bestowed via ritual, and Entropic Creature template (for outsider) thus letting her take Fiend of Corruption when high enough level, and thus grant wishes for pacts.
Add in 11 levels Wu Jen and 10 Sea Witch, and she can grow to colossal size and create huge maelstroms.

But then, thats just fun D&D version.