PDA

View Full Version : systemless monster generator!

Jolly Steve
2008-11-04, 09:36 PM
http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/creature/

infinitypanda
2008-11-04, 10:23 PM
I don't know if this belongs in homebrew (because I guess it could be useful for homebrewing a dungeon) but that is still really nifty.

Jolly Steve
2008-11-04, 10:41 PM
I don't know if this belongs in homebrew (because I guess it could be useful for homebrewing a dungeon) but that is still really nifty.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

vegetalss4
2008-11-06, 03:01 PM
this is very cool

Pronounceable
2008-11-06, 06:18 PM
Gets my approval.

Jolly Steve
2008-11-06, 06:47 PM
Thanks to both of you :)

Knaight
2008-11-06, 07:48 PM
Dodecoephalon, or High Peacock
The Dodecoephalon looks like a child above the waist, a goldfish below.

Cynuomur, or Beautiful Companion
The Cynuomur has the body of a human, so deformed that its gender can't be determined, but a head like a bat.

Minor issues between name and appearance on these. That said, I also got this:
Bucenairete, or Peaceful Hisser
This creature is large (at least twice the size of a human).
They live in the sea.
They will typically be found alone, or in a group (or company) of two or three.
The Bucenairete looks like a strong, handsome youth above the waist, an elephant below.
They're humans whose evil forces them to return in this form after death.
They're a type of Spirit (see below).
They have human-like intelligence.
Incorporeal: The Spirit can't be harmed except by magical means, nor can it directly physically harm anyone (like a ghost).
Lesser True Sight: The creature is less effected by magical attacks based on illusions or fear than a normal creature would be.

A peaceful hisser that can't harm anybody.

Jolly Steve
2008-11-07, 12:44 AM
Dodecoephalon, or High Peacock
The Dodecoephalon looks like a child above the waist, a goldfish below.

Cynuomur, or Beautiful Companion
The Cynuomur has the body of a human, so deformed that its gender can't be determined, but a head like a bat.

Minor issues between name and appearance on these. That said, I also got this:
Bucenairete, or Peaceful Hisser
They live in the sea.
They will typically be found alone, or in a group (or company) of two or three.
The Bucenairete looks like a strong, handsome youth above the waist, an elephant below.
They're humans whose evil forces them to return in this form after death.
Incorporeal: The Spirit can't be harmed except by magical means, nor can it directly physically harm anyone (like a ghost).
Lesser True Sight: The creature is less effected by magical attacks based on illusions or fear than a normal creature would be.

A peaceful hisser that can't harm anybody.

The descriptions were chosen so that they can be taken as metaphorical or sarcastic if they don't match with the creature's other attributes.

For example, the Dodecoephalons might be called peacocks because of their fancy clothes.

Calling a species who look like deformed people with bat's heads 'Beautiful Companions' is the kind of joke that lots of adventurers would think was hilarious.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-07, 10:43 AM
It seems kinda weird (which is true of most creative things, myself included :smallwink:), but also really neat. Overall I think its something I might use, although a few more options to give a bit more control over the results would be nice (like being able to determine the type - I might not be looking for an undead creature at the moment).

Jolly Steve
2008-11-07, 01:35 PM
It seems kinda weird (which is true of most creative things, myself included :smallwink:), but also really neat. Overall I think its something I might use, although a few more options to give a bit more control over the results would be nice (like being able to determine the type - I might not be looking for an undead creature at the moment).

Good idea - I might add this in the future.

Athaniar
2008-11-07, 02:28 PM
Some "interesting" ones I got:

Pleyniad, or Hand-Who-Waits
They live in the forest.
They will typically be found alone, or in a group (or host) of two or three.
The Pleyniad looks like a wooden carving of a wolf.
They're a type of Animate (see below).
They have only animal-like intelligence.
Breath Weapon: The creature breathes fire, like a dragon.
Agile: The creature is extra-good at avoiding being hit, compared to other creatures of its size.
Natural Armour: The creature's hide is so tough that it's treated as armour. This doesn't stop the creature having actual armour as well, if appropriate.
Greater True Sight: The creature is totally immune to magical attacks based on illusions or fear.
Nice creature, but it's nickname is confusing.

Tripion, or Merciful Heart
This creature is roughly the same size as a human.
They live in the desert.
A typical group, or cloud, consists of 1-6 creatures.
The Tripion looks like either a beautiful young woman or a strong, handsome youth, but fiery and demonic.
Gas: The creature breathes a cloud of poisonous gas. It's immune to its own cloud of gas.
Crush: If the creature manages to get hold of an enemy which is roughly its size or smaller, it will eventually crush it to death. This means that the victim will take damage automatically, and can't attack, until and unless they manage to break free.
It's incorporeal and crushes you to death? Now how does that work?

Arachoator, or Duke-With-Two-Voices
This creature is small (roughly the size of a child).
They live in the sea.
A typical group, or pride, consists of 2-12 creatures.
The Arachoator looks like the disembodied head of whoever is standing closest to it at the time.
Agile: The creature is extra-good at avoiding being hit, compared to other creatures of its size.
Crush: If the creature manages to get hold of an enemy which is roughly its size or smaller, it will eventually crush it to death. This means that the victim will take damage automatically, and can't attack, until and unless they manage to break free.
Greater True Sight: The creature is totally immune to magical attacks based on illusions or fear.
Again with the incorporeal crush? Still, cool creature.

Baphiamure, or Twisted Gentleman
This creature is very small (roughly the size of a cat or dog).
They live in the desert.
A typical group, or phalanx, consists of 3-18 creatures.
The Baphiamure looks like an owl, wearing a mask of either a wrinked crone or a wizened old man.
They're the result of a magical experiment.
They're a type of Folk (see below).
Natural Armour: The creature's hide is so tough that it's treated as armour. This doesn't stop the creature having actual armour as well, if appropriate.
Cling to Walls: The creature has the ability to climb or stick to any surface without the risk of falling.
I could actually see this being used...

Megaloean, or Shining Lady
They live in the sea.
A typical group, or shoal, consists of 3-18 creatures.
The Megaloean looks like the disembodied head of a goldfish.
Immune to Physical Harm: The Spirit is immune to non-magical harm (for example from normal weapons).
Camouflage: The creature can change their flesh to the colour of their surroundings, making them harder to spot.
Stealthy: The creature is extra-good at moving silently and staying hidden.
I don't know, there is just something hilarious about a shoal of intelligent stealthy undead goldfish heads.

Hecatonaidyte, or Slithering Peacock
They live in arctic regions.
They will typically be found alone, or in a group (or murder) of two or three.
The Hecatonaidyte 's a robot, built to resemble a crocodile.
Suppress Magic: Being near to the creature makes it very difficult to use magic. This doesn't have any permanent effect on characters' magical abilities.
Resistant to Magic: The creature is less effected by magic than a normal creature would be.
Also an interesting being.

This generator is certainly lots of fun, and also a good tool for creation. And the goldfish heads are hilarious.

Jolly Steve
2008-11-07, 03:01 PM
Pleyniad, or Hand-Who-Waits
They live in the forest.
They will typically be found alone, or in a group (or host) of two or three.
The Pleyniad looks like a wooden carving of a wolf.
They have only animal-like intelligence.
Breath Weapon: The creature breathes fire, like a dragon.
Nice creature, but it's nickname is confusing.

They're the army/servants of an evil wizard. Hence, metaphorically, his 'hand'. Because they're Animates, they just sit there like they were statues. Hence, 'Hand-Who-Waits'.

Tripion, or Merciful Heart
This creature is roughly the same size as a human.
They live in the desert.
A typical group, or cloud, consists of 1-6 creatures.
The Tripion looks like either a beautiful young woman or a strong, handsome youth, but fiery and demonic.
Gas: The creature breathes a cloud of poisonous gas. It's immune to its own cloud of gas.
It's incorporeal and crushes you to death? Now how does that work?

gravity fields.

Megaloean, or Shining Lady
They live in the sea.
A typical group, or shoal, consists of 3-18 creatures.
The Megaloean looks like the disembodied head of a goldfish.
Immune to Physical Harm: The Spirit is immune to non-magical harm (for example from normal weapons).
Camouflage: The creature can change their flesh to the colour of their surroundings, making them harder to spot.
I don't know, there is just something hilarious about a shoal of intelligent stealthy undead goldfish heads.

Not if you're a bit freaked out by fish...

This generator is certainly lots of fun, and also a good tool for creation. And the goldfish heads are hilarious.

Thanks!