PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Character Concepts?

StoryKeeper
2008-11-04, 10:34 PM
You may or may not have played them, but what character concepts have you especially enjoyed thinking about while daydreaming at work/school/whatever?

Jack_Simth
2008-11-04, 10:53 PM
Cleric (Cloistered, by choice) of Fharlaghn, the god of Travel - goes around using Wall of Stone to create bridges and waystations, and Stone Shape to simultaneously carve Fharlaghn's symbol on the side of them and get tiles to use as seed stone for the next item. Build generally also includes Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) for party-level buffs such as Mass Lesser Vigor (or Vigorous Circle, at higher levels), Prayer (or Recitation), and so on, all of which are cast during "morning services".

That is, a Cleric that actually plays the role of a member of the clergy.

Yukitsu
2008-11-04, 10:58 PM
Warforged monk/kensai with fists of throwing and returning, and goggles of scorching ray.

RandomNPC
2008-11-04, 11:01 PM
i like doing the things everyones thinks are old tv show ideas.

tomorrow i start a game with an amnesiac rogue who woke up by a tree one morning, knowing nothing, not even what he's good at. but he found some cleric like clothing in his pack and a holy symbol on his necklace, so he's gonna get religous and multiclass with cleric. it's not optimal, but its a good character idea. backstory keeps changing as i think of things.

GrassyGnoll
2008-11-04, 11:06 PM
Loser drow. Only thing he ever accomplished was escaping before his inevitable gory sacrificial death. Is a lazy thief who's never gotten away with anything his racial abilities couldn't get him. Cowardly, incompetent, and driven into your PC's party by his obscene gambling debt.

FMArthur
2008-11-04, 11:45 PM
On of my favourites is quite simple: he's a scholar of some kind, maybe a Swordsage, maybe a Wizard, but he's spent the vast majority of his life in study. Suddenly he is thrust out into the world of adventure, either by financial turmoil or some other means, with knowledge of only his field of study. Even regular things, like talking to the bartender, are new and strange concepts. Frequently taken advantage of by the other party members to the amusement of all (myself included) and suckered into bad things, like leading the way in a trap-filled dungeon or "you go assassinate the king, and we'll go find some horses"-type arrangements.

It's kind of funny; on the two occasions where I played this role under two different DMs, the DM felt sorry for my character and was obviously subverting harm that came my way just enough for the character to survive and learn. So this incredibly survival-averse concept survived against all odds both times.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-11-04, 11:45 PM
-An amateur pugilist/wrestling champ from a small town, from a common family of tavern keepers. He became an adventurer after a pretty maid (in both senses) he had his eye on was seduced and bedded by a traveling adventurer. He decided to make a career out of his fists and gain enough experience and cash to find and defeat the man who tore his heart out.

The catch? That man is a high-level knight, a famed and beloved Champion of the Realm.

-A Cleric of Nihilism. Speaks with a thick German accent, characterized by somber black garb, square black glasses and thick hipster sideburns. The son of a rich banking family, he attended an art academy but was thrown out for unruly displays he considered "performance art" (particularly painting in bright red over a statue of the academy's founder, 'THIS IS NOT ART.') He is part of a small intellectual group that refuses to believe in the existence of gods, despite the overwhelming evidence from Clerical magic--he believes the Clerics are misguided fanatics who have tapped into a power they don't understand. He insists that the Human Will can create whatever kind reality it desires, if they learn to first embrace the absence of a higher consciousness. To prove his point, he became a Cleric of Nihilism, and managed to indeed utilize Divine Magic on his own. The other Nihilists rejected him as a "sell-out." Since his parents finally threw him out of their house, he has taken to adventuring to make ends meet, and also to prove the power of human expressionism upon the blank canvas of ZEE YUUNIVASS.

Ivius
2008-11-05, 12:14 AM
A barbarian who throws greatswords. It never got farther than that.

Deepblue706
2008-11-05, 12:17 AM
A barbarian who throws greatswords. It never got farther than that.

Bastard Swords actually work better. Almost as large, and can be used one-handed (you throw two simultaneously).

Eldariel
2008-11-05, 12:29 AM
Bastard Swords actually work better. Almost as large, and can be used one-handed (you throw two simultaneously).

Nooot really, you need EWP and TWF-feats and Oversized TWF to do that reasonably... Throw Longswords, one point less of damage, and one less feat. Throw Short Swords for two less feats. But Greatsword skips the whole awful Two-Weapon Fighting-chain, so I'd stick to that.

Deepblue706
2008-11-05, 12:35 AM
Nooot really, you need EWP and TWF-feats and Oversized TWF to do that reasonably... Throw Longswords, one point less of damage, and one less feat. Throw Short Swords for two less feats. But Greatsword skips the whole awful Two-Weapon Fighting-chain, so I'd stick to that.

No, the EWP part is actually a good thing. Necessary for Exotic Weapon Master; which has abilities like Throw Exotic Weapon.

Then grab Master Thrower for Trip Shot and Two-With-One-Blow...

Trust me, it's not as crappy as it sounds. And it's hilarious to bring into a game.

elliott20
2008-11-05, 01:14 AM
I generally take my character concepts from general TV Tropes. My favorite? the Templar. (i.e. the honorable zealot)

BobVosh
2008-11-05, 01:21 AM

Why not take the feat "throw anything," which allows you to throw any weapon?

Eldariel
2008-11-05, 01:25 AM
Why not take the feat "throw anything," which allows you to throw any weapon?

You still need EWP, TWF and OTWF if you wanna throw weapons from two hands without huge penalties.

BobVosh
2008-11-05, 02:05 AM
Still, one feat and throw great swords. One more (quick draw) and throw up to your bab. One more (rapid shot) and you can throw your bab+1.

Optimystik
2008-11-05, 02:07 AM
Heirophant (cleric version). I fell in love with this prestige class the minute I read up on it. Blast infidel? Spell Power? Ranged Harm? DO WANT! :xykon:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/hierophant.htm

bosssmiley
2008-11-05, 05:36 AM
Warforged ranger who talks like Windsor Davies in "It Ain't Half Hot Mum". :smallbiggrin:
Half-Orc Bardbarian ("Me am wonderful singer. Loudest in whole tribe.")

Glyde
2008-11-05, 10:46 AM
Rogue/monk/Drunken Master that goes around sneak attacking people with a bench/chair/table/pole/ladder/wall/wagon/barrel/etc

I'm also fond of my Fighter/Unstoppable Force who wears no armor whatsoever but still sports a healthy 20+ AC. He's an old salt with a harpoon who's mount is a 'tamed' shark.

DiscipleofBob
2008-11-05, 11:19 AM
"Noname," a warforged warblade (or fighter if ToB isn't allowed) warforged juggernaut who, despite being technically NG alignment-wise, tries his best to convince others and himself that he is a soulless machine meant for war, combat, and the protection of humanoids. Despite this, he has thing for literature of all kinds, especially romance novels, claiming he's simply "studying potentially useful information on potential opponents."

Skye, Chaotic Good Spiked-Chain wielding Monk 2/Fighter X. 15-year old runaway from the monastery who calls any male comrades "brothas" and is just plain awkward around women, due to adolescence still in effect. Loud, boisterous, and takes appropriate feats/skill tricks to be able to do some platforming with his chain.

Piotr, True N Dwarven Druid with russian accent and mostly earth-elemental theme. A stoic hermit who only adventures so he can buy out caverns and stop environmentally unfriendly strip mining. His companion, Rocky, by comparison, is a chibi earth elemental who kind of looks like a stone version of Marvin the Depressed Robot. Horrendously adorable and loves to hug.

Doresain
2008-11-05, 11:32 AM
an incredibly smart goblin artificer that plans on industrializing eberron through science rather than magic...create zeppelins, cars, tanks, guns, etc. he will then sell them to the five nations

and when the five nations decide to go back to war with their new toys, said goblin pulls out his hidden super weapons and gives them to Darguun, so they may finally vanquish the humanoids that stole their homeland from them

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-11-05, 11:41 AM
My favorite was the Lawful Neutral (by necessity) cleric of Wee Jas who uses necromancy and raising undead to help people and serve good, often fighting Good enemies in the process. Never played him yet tho...

My favorite to play, however, was the TWF ranger on the Tempest path who flies around with two swords. Once I played her with Favored Enemy: Elf, which was loads of fun (favored enemy: other PCs is always interesting to RP).

-JM

Roderick_BR
2008-11-05, 12:53 PM
Paladin. Knight in Shining Armor. Chosen of the Gods to Kick Evil's Arse.

I'm old school :smallwink:

DiscipleofBob
2008-11-05, 12:59 PM
an incredibly smart goblin artificer that plans on industrializing eberron through science rather than magic...create zeppelins, cars, tanks, guns, etc. he will then sell them to the five nations

Sounds like an NPC I had in an Eberron game once: a goblin known as "The Professor" who had a bunch of near-suicidal goblins and a constantly smoking zeppelin who droppped large warcraft-style bombs on targets, sent goblins down connected to bungee cords to steal stuff and repel back onto the ships, etc. They also had the tendency to sing "...but we've got the biggest/ BOMBS of them all!"

Siegel
2008-11-05, 01:03 PM
Tiefling Darklock. His family is since ever devoted to Sharn. Some become Clerics while other become Warlocks. Just a simple idea but my first really char idea for 4e. Multiclassing to Cleric or taking Twofold Pact Star to get a few other powers optional.

kladams707
2008-11-05, 01:10 PM
I really enjoyed my character concept of a gnome illusionist who was as confused as the ruler of the universe in Hitchhiker's Guide.

Burley
2008-11-05, 02:33 PM
A gnome named Brick, who was a divine caster in a time before Gods existed. He believed that his powers came from tapping into the essense of everthing around him, and that he would be more powerful if he could keep a lot of different things near him. He had a wagon and a horse named Buttercup, and travelled the world with his best friend Rex the Centaur to collect as much as he could. He also wrote songs... Well, I wrote songs about their adventures...

He ended up having a mental breakdown after his wagon was burned to the ground, with all of his possesions. Ended up finding a B.A. Sword, though... MAN! It was B.A.