PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 0-LA race with charisma bonus

Handsome Rob
2008-11-05, 04:19 AM
Pretty much what the title says, I'm looking for a 0-LA race with a charisma bonus.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-05, 05:02 AM
WotC has the Lesser Aasimar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), which seems just what you want.

Iku Rex
2008-11-05, 05:15 AM
Star Elves (UnappEast, FR) and Spellscales (RacDrag) have +2 Cha and +0 LA.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-05, 06:09 AM
Note that the +0 LA Aasimar that Curmudgeon linked never requires you (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) to spend a level to gain the +1 LA and the rest of the racial bonuses.

The Magic-Blooded (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.0Index-Templates.pdf) template (page 15) from Dragon 306 gives +2 Cha for +0 LA, with penalties to even it out. Apply that to a Star Elf or Spellscale and you've got +4 Cha at +0 LA.

Kaiyanwang
2008-11-05, 06:13 AM
Note that the +0 LA Aasimar that Curmudgeon linked never requires you (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) to spend a level to gain the +1 LA and the rest of the racial bonuses.

The Magic-Blooded (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.0Index-Templates.pdf) template (page 15) from Dragon 306 gives +2 Cha for +0 LA, with penalties to even it out. Apply that to a Star Elf or Spellscale and you've got +4 Cha at +0 LA.

Mmmmh.. tasty...

serok42
2008-11-05, 07:21 AM
Star Elves (UnappEast, FR)

Star Elves are nice. Just watch out for banishment spells or you'll get sent back to the yuriwood[sic?].

Tengu_temp
2008-11-05, 07:31 AM
Star Elves are nice. Just watch out for banishment spells or you'll get sent back to the yuriwood[sic?].

Lucky bastards. (Wikipedia "yuri" if you don't know what I'm talking about. Wikipedia, NOT Google.)

brant167
2008-11-05, 07:50 AM
Spellscales from races of dragon get a +2 cha. However their pictures in the book arn't that attractive.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-05, 07:50 AM
Lucky bastards. (Wikipedia "yuri" if you don't know what I'm talking about. Wikipedia, NOT Google.)

Urban Dictionary FTW, I've learned to never GIS for a definition (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/4/11/).

Darrin
2008-11-05, 09:28 AM
WotC has the Lesser Aasimar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), which seems just what you want.

Actually, those aren't stats for Lesser Aasimar, that's a +1 Level Adjustment broken down into a Racial Class level. You don't have to take the Racial Class level if you don't want it, and just keep the +2 Cha.

Lesser Aasimar are in the Player's Guide to Faerun, p. 191. They are identical to standard Aasimar, except they are not outsiders (no more Alter Self abuse unless you take the Otherworldly feat). They are humanoids with the planetouched subtype. So charm/hold person works on them along with banishment/dismissal. But you get both +2 Cha and +2 Wis for +0 LA.

There are some other +2 Cha races from other sources:

Hellbred (Spirit): +2 Cha, -2 Con. There are a bunch of demonic (Ex) and (Su) abilities/drawbacks that come with this one, but all the annoying ones can be eliminated by converting to a Dragonborn of Bahumat. Fiendish Codex II, p. 78.

Gruuwar: +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Wis. Small-sized dark-skinned fey, two claw attacks, disguise self 1/day. Dragon #317, p. 26.

Changeling: +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Con. Medium-sized fey, favored class bard. Different from the Eberron race... but not particularly interesting. Dragon #304, p. 59.

Complacent Human: +2 to any ability score. Loses bonus feat and extra skill points. This one is definitely an oddball, from a Silicon Sorcery article on World of Warcraft III races. Dragon #320, p. 88. Probably going to be a tough sell, unless your DM has based his campaign world on an old PC game.

And, as has already been mentioned, the Magic-Blooded template from Dragon #306 can be added to any of these races for +2 Cha -2 Wis.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-05, 12:01 PM
Yeah, there aren't many +cha races. The only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold. Costs a feat, but you don't have aging penalties anymore. Only the benefits. +3 to all mentals.

Te'Shen
2008-11-05, 12:38 PM
If evil alignment is not an issue, there's also the unseelie template from Dragon magazine and the Dragon Compendium. It's a +0 template with -2 str/con, +2 dex/chr and a few abilities and one vulnerability tacked on (which is pretty much mitigated by one of the abilities after level 3).

Tengu_temp
2008-11-05, 12:48 PM
Don't be a Lesser Aasimar - normal Aasimar is very weak for LA +1, but Lesser one is way too strong for LA 0. Lesser Aasimar, Lesser Tiefling, Whisper Gnome and Strongheart Halfling are the quartet of cheesiest LA 0 races.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-05, 01:01 PM
Don't be a Lesser Aasimar - normal Aasimar is very weak for LA +1, but Lesser one is way too strong for LA 0. Lesser Aasimar, Lesser Tiefling, Whisper Gnome and Strongheart Halfling are the quartet of cheesiest LA 0 races.Human and Dwarf are also on there, and none of the 6 are close to LA 1. They're the top, but not OP.

Tengu_temp
2008-11-05, 01:06 PM
I disagree. Lesser Aasimar and Lesser Tiefling have +4 and +2 total ability score adjustments, respectively - this shouldn't happen for a LA 0 race, unless it just gives +2 Cha and nothing else. Strongheart Halfling is here because in exchange for saving throw bonuses it gets a feat (a much better deal), and I don't even need to start on the Whisper Gnome, do I?

Humans and dwarves are among the strongest LA 0 races, but nowhere near those four.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-05, 01:14 PM
I disagree. Lesser Aasimar and Lesser Tiefling have +4 and +2 total ability score adjustments, respectively - this shouldn't happen for a LA 0 race, unless it just gives +2 Cha and nothing else. Strongheart Halfling is here because in exchange for saving throw bonuses it gets a feat (a much better deal), and I don't even need to start on the Whisper Gnome, do I?

Humans and dwarves are among the strongest LA 0 races, but nowhere near those four.Dwarfs get +2 Con, Darkvision, Trapfinding, free EWP, saving throw bonuses, stability, and other stuff. And they're Core. Humans get a bonus feat and free skills, which are often a lot better than any racial bonuses. Strongheart Halflings are good, and so are the Gnomes, but no more than the Dwarf.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-05, 01:15 PM
Strongheart Halfling is here because in exchange for saving throw bonuses it gets a feat (a much better deal)

Let me take this moment to point you in the direction of the Luck of Heroes (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Luck_of_Heroes,all) feat.

Tengu_temp
2008-11-05, 01:20 PM
+2 Con is basically the same as the Improved Toughness feat. +2 to two stats is worth more than a feat. Luck of Heroes is a weak feat - it's better to get an extra feat of your choice than this.

Let's say that Strongheart Halflings aren't that overpowered. But saying that Dwarves or Humans are better than Lesser Aasimar/Tiefling is ridiculous.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-05, 01:28 PM
Luck of Heroes is a weak feat - it's better to get an extra feat of your choice than this.

Uh, it gives a +1 luck bonus on AC and on all saves. Luck bonuses are some of the rarest bonus types to come across and they nearly always apply. For a feat, +1 AC that always applies (Luck of Heroes) vs. +1 AC that applies under specific circumstances and only against one attacker (Dodge) is almost worth it in and of itself--but to go and add a +1 bonus to all saves that always applies is basically icing on the cake. It's not a gamebreaker the way Power Attack or metamagic can be, but it's a fairly solid feat.

Tengu_temp
2008-11-05, 01:31 PM
Woah, AC? I thought it works like that in NWN2 only, and that in DND 3.5 it gives +1 to saving throws only like it did in 3.0... okay, my mistake, it is a good feat.

Which leads to another example: Strongheart Halfling with Luck of Heroes > normal Halfling. In everything.

Adumbration
2008-11-05, 01:37 PM
Woah, AC? I thought it works like that in NWN2 only, and that in DND 3.5 it gives +1 to saving throws only like it did in 3.0... okay, my mistake, it is a good feat.

Which leads to another example: Strongheart Halfling with Luck of Heroes > normal Halfling. In everything.

With a +1 to AC, actually.

monty
2008-11-05, 06:01 PM
With a +1 to AC, actually.

I think that's what he meant.