PDA

View Full Version : [4e] new feat, is it game braking?

Guinea Anubis
2008-11-05, 06:35 AM
So one of my players lastnight was looking at feats and was wondering why Rogues and Rangers get there bonus damage upped to d8s and Warlocks don't. I told him its because Warlocks get a pact bonus when the target dies. He said most of the time I would rather do more damage then get my pact bonus, So we talked and I told him I would try to come up with something for him. This is what I came up with

Amplify Curse [Warlock]
Prerequisites: Warlock, Warlock's curse class feature
Benefit: You gain Amplify Curse as an At-Will power.

Amplify Curse
At-Will ✦ Arcane
Free Action Personal
Effect: The extra damage dice from your Warlock's
Curse class feature increase from d6s to d8s, But
you do not gain the benefit of your Pact Boon.

What do you all think, is it game braking?

Kurald Galain
2008-11-05, 06:56 AM
What do you all think, is it game braking?
No, it's not. However, it could be worded in an easier fashion; there's no need to involve a free action power for something you can simply spell out as a feat.

Burley
2008-11-05, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't even make it a power, or a feat. Just give that player the option to trade in the Pact Boon power for increased damage dice.
4e isn't really big on losing something to gain something. You either gain it, or you don't. As a choice of class features, this is fine, in my opinion.

Yakk
2008-11-05, 12:26 PM
More fun:

Twice Cursed
"Once Shy"
At-Will + Arcane
Minor Action + Close Burst 10
Target: The closest enemy you have LoS to and has been cursed by you.
Effect: The damage dice of your Warlock's curse on the target increase to d8s until the end of the encounter. This counts as a use of your Warlock's Curse ability this round -- you may not use it in the same round as you apply a Warlock's Curse, and vice versa.

Roderick_BR
2008-11-05, 12:59 PM
How about simple a new pact?
War Pact (someone already used this name here, I know)
Instead of a normal pact curse, your blast's damage is increased to d8 instead of d6. At 21th level, they increase to d10.
You'd need a new paragon path, though. Harbinger of War?
Take a look here for ideas http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95039

LibraryOgre
2008-11-05, 01:54 PM
The initial feat... isn't there already a feat that inherently increases your curse damage to d8s?

Starsinger
2008-11-05, 01:56 PM
No, Warlocks don't up their damage to d8s. However, they have a magic item which ups the damage (in the AV). I always thought it was balanced off of them being able to strike multiple targets and deal the extra damage.

Yakk
2008-11-05, 03:05 PM
They cannot deal the curse damage more than once per round.

They can curse multiple targets, attempt to hit more than one, then use the one they hit as the target for their curse damage.

Artanis
2008-11-05, 03:31 PM
And really, upping dice from d6 to d8 isn't that big of a change. It's an extra 1/2/3 or 2/3/4 average damage (by tier, for Ranger and Rogue respectively). That's actually weaker than Weapon Focus for the Ranger, since Weapon Focus applies to every attack, not just one hit per round.

ColdSepp
2008-11-05, 03:32 PM
But they do get a bonus when the cursed target dies.

Starsinger
2008-11-05, 03:40 PM
They cannot deal the curse damage more than once per round.

They can curse multiple targets, attempt to hit more than one, then use the one they hit as the target for their curse damage.

It's not every creature? I guess I was over estimating the Dark Pact "nuke everything you've cursed" powers..