PDA

View Full Version : Feytouched and alter self??

Kiyona
2008-11-05, 08:19 AM
Hello all,

My feytouched sorcerer4/wild soul2 was thinking on taking alter self as her new second level spell. But as I read the description, I stumbled on this:

You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within one size category of your normal size. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 5 HD at 5th level. You can change into a member of your own kind or even into yourself

Does that mean she can only change into fey? Is there a list of good (as in a reasonable choice, not the alignment) feycreatures with fly and such?
Or can she alter into any kind of monster? Outsider? Abberation? Humanoid? Animal?

All help is appreciated :smallbiggrin:

RagnaroksChosen
2008-11-05, 10:35 AM
does feytouched make you a fey or is it like the half fay template?

Eldariel
2008-11-05, 10:51 AM
It makes you a Fey. And yes, you'd only have Fey-forms available. However, worry not, since they're fairly awesome. Most Fey in fact have low HD. Pixie would make for a solid flying form, for example. I don't think such a list exists, but a quick scan through Monster Manual should already be enough.

Keld Denar
2008-11-05, 11:02 AM
I remember seeing a pretty comprehensive list of Alter Self forms broken down by type over on the CharOps forum. Its rather blocked to be atm, but if you head over there, click the top sticky link (the Surrealodex AKA Surreal's List of Stuff) and do a Ctr + F for Alter Self, I'm sure you'll find it if it exists. Maybe someone less restricted could pull the link up.

Unfortunately, you don't gain any of the SP or SU or EX of the fey you assume. So, while you would get a Pixie's wings and fly speed, you wouldn't get it's Improved Invis.

Oh, one other thing. What size is your character? If you are size M, you might run into issues, because there aren't many size M fey about. Most are size S or smaller.

Kiyona
2008-11-05, 11:08 AM
Yeah, She is medium. But I can still take a small form right? Not tiny though...

The pixie will be my flying form I think, mostly because I havent found another one. =) Cant get on the CharOps board from here (stupid work computers and their pageblooker) but Ill check it out when I get home. Thanks. =)

The problem is, I think, that most of the fey have really cool SU- and spell like abilitys, and not so much else. If I would want climb speed, or natural armor, it will be harder to find. Luckily, she has invested heavily in knowledge nature, so she should be making the rolls to see if she knows about some obscure fey. =)

Asbestos
2008-11-05, 11:30 AM
It makes you a Fey. And yes, you'd only have Fey-forms available. However, worry not, since they're fairly awesome. Most Fey in fact have low HD. Pixie would make for a solid flying form, for example. I don't think such a list exists, but a quick scan through Monster Manual should already be enough.

Indeed, so right now you're looking for fey creatures of small, medium, or large size with 5 HD or less.

A shaedling (MM5) might be something to look at if you want a medium sized flying fey. Not sure if they're 'shadow gossamer' ability would work... it is extraordinary, but shaedlings have physical spinnerets to produce it...

Darrin
2008-11-05, 02:33 PM
A shaedling (MM5) might be something to look at if you want a medium sized flying fey. Not sure if they're 'shadow gossamer' ability would work... it is extraordinary, but shaedlings have physical spinnerets to produce it...

Actually, the F-16 of the flight-capable fey:

Wendigo. Medium size, fly 120' (perfect). Fiend Folio p. 186.

Some other great fey forms for alter self:

Bog Imp. Small size, burrow 60', swim 30'. Best burrow speed you can get with alter self. Also +4 racial bonus on saves vs mind effects, +2 racial bonus on listen, search and spot, and +8 racial bonus on swim checks. Heroes of Horror p. 142.

Crystal Cat. Large size, speed 40', +10 natural armor, 2 claws + bite. Not quite a dwarven ancestor, but not too shabby. Dragon #304 p. 59.

Hkum Yeng Nat. Medium size, fly 30', +9 natural armor, 2 claws. Maybe not as good as the crystal cat, but it has flight and is from a somewhat more official source. Oriental Adventures, p. 176.

Splinterwaif. Small size, climb 50', +10 racial bonus on hide checks, and +8 racial bonus on climb checks. One of the best climbers in the game. MM3 p. 164.

Spriggan. Small size, but it has an enlarged form that is large size with 10' of reach. This is a supernatural ability that you wouldn't get with alter self, but check if your DM will let you use the larger form. If not... well, they have a +4 racial bonus to climb, disable device, move silently, open lock, and sleight of hand. Fiend Folio p. 162.

Vodyanoi. Medium size, swim 60'. +8 racial bonus on hide, move silently, and swim. Also +4 natural armor. The best fey swimmer. Frostburn p. 160.

Epinephrine
2008-11-05, 03:25 PM
I can't remember with certainty, but I think that spirit animals (Frostburn?) are also fey, and they get the incorporeal subtype, which could be handy.

Don't know the Alter Self rules really, but Spirit Animals might make any animal form available.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-05, 03:47 PM
I think you can probably do the Yuki On Na in Frostburn.

Eldariel
2008-11-05, 03:53 PM
Yuki Onna has too much HD - Alter Self only works up to 5 HD and Yuki Onna has 8. Same with Rimefire Eidolon, unfortunately. Rusalka would work though, for Swim-speed (bleh).

Darrin
2008-11-05, 04:31 PM
I can't remember with certainty, but I think that spirit animals (Frostburn?) are also fey, and they get the incorporeal subtype, which could be handy.

Don't know the Alter Self rules really, but Spirit Animals might make any animal form available.

Can't alter self to anything with a template (otherwise the Half-Fey Centaur would be the Rolls Royce of fey forms).

I'm not sure alter self inherits any subtypes, either.

Epinephrine
2008-11-05, 05:48 PM
Can't alter self to anything with a template (otherwise the Half-Fey Centaur would be the Rolls Royce of fey forms).

I'm not sure alter self inherits any subtypes, either.

Ah, thanks, that'd be a sensible limit.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-05, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure alter self inherits any subtypes, either.Alter Self does nothing to change type or subtype:

Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form.

Asbestos
2008-11-05, 10:46 PM
Actually, the F-16 of the flight-capable fey:

Wendigo. Medium size, fly 120' (perfect). Fiend Folio p. 186.

Yeah, but the Wendigo is a wingless critter so if you altered self into it... you'd be hobbling around on your exposed leg bones. That sounds much less awesome.

Kiyona
2008-11-06, 02:09 AM
Thanks everyony for all the great suggestions. Being fey is suddenly much more awesome. =)

Darrin
2008-11-06, 08:27 AM
Yeah, but the Wendigo is a wingless critter so if you altered self into it... you'd be hobbling around on your exposed leg bones. That sounds much less awesome.

Dagnabbit... missed that. Well, then the best fey form for flying would be the pixie or shaedling, 60' (good).