PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy - Gaslight?

Zen Master
2008-11-05, 09:49 AM
[CAUTION - WALL OF TEXT ATTACK]

Ok - more stuff about Dark Heresy.

Now, I'm not much of a rebel, so most of my campaign will play out on worlds much like what one would expect from the setting. However ...

The BBE has plans of the vilest, most devious and wicked kind -{Scrubbed} But we all know, deep in our hearts and our souls, that change is Bad, and all but always inspired by the ruinous powers.

So he is in the process of creating the engine that will allow him to conquer the Empire from within. For this, he needs very large scale production capability - on worlds not under the most immediate scrutiny of the Administratum and the Inquisition.

Enter ... the Gaslight Worlds. These worlds are beginning industrialisation, have things like airships and steamrail, and are capable, with a bit of guidance, of producing much of the gear needed for a rebel army.

Now - I'm aware that such worlds wont build any spacecraft or Imperator class titans. Roll with it, and assume that sort of supplies will come from other sources.

What I need is depth, believability and fluff. Also, your opinions on whether this will work, be good and fun will be appreciated :)

So the quest on this particular world will be ... well, here's the twist.

The players are sent to New London (working title) to undermine a Cult of the Emperor that is gaining in influence and numbers. The mission briefing reads that this cult is likely a front for darker forces, and their leaders must die/their reputation crushed/whatever.

Upon closer examination, this cult is apparently genuine article, sound and strong men full of faith in the emperor. However, something else is clearly amiss, as there is a definite influx of materials, wealth and technology from somewhere - and in fact, the Cult has sprung up in response to 'Un-Godly Changes' in society.

This is supposed to be the pivotal moment in the campaign - so ... can anyone guess the reasons behind all this?

bosssmiley
2008-11-05, 11:20 AM
Two words: Mutant Chronicles (http://www.coggames.com/mutantchronicles/) - dieselpunk (early 1900s) GRIMDARK set in a single, fleshed-out solar system. You've got cultists, open WW1-style war against an occult enemy, infighting among the humans, the works...

I've long thought of MK as the true WH40K RPG. :smallamused:

Upon closer examination, this cult is apparently genuine article, sound and strong men full of faith in the emperor. However, something else is clearly amiss, as there is a definite influx of materials, wealth and technology from somewhere - and in fact, the Cult has sprung up in response to 'Un-Godly Changes' in society.

Not the dreaded Cult of the Holy Pudding! :smalleek:
(OLD - WH40K:RT era - joke)

Tadanori Oyama
2008-11-05, 12:22 PM
I'd say that the question becomes what do your Acolites make of their Inquisitor's modivations. They've been sent to destory a Cult of the Emperor that turns out to be perfectly in order? Personally, I'd start to think that 1) my master was corrupt or 2) my master was growing incompitant.

You have the same temptations you have with Chaos, only they are more material. This new way promises "better", that things will improve and be different.

Any Imperial Citizen knows that's a lie and heracy to boot... but it does sound nice...

Zen Master
2008-11-06, 03:55 AM
I'd say that the question becomes what do your Acolites make of their Inquisitor's modivations. They've been sent to destory a Cult of the Emperor that turns out to be perfectly in order? Personally, I'd start to think that 1) my master was corrupt or 2) my master was growing incompitant.

You have the same temptations you have with Chaos, only they are more material. This new way promises "better", that things will improve and be different.

Any Imperial Citizen knows that's a lie and heracy to boot... but it does sound nice...

Well - correct on the first try. The BBE in the game is the inquisitor the players work for, but the first few quests look entirely reasonable. But as his plot nears completion, so too do the loyal forces of the Emperor start to get suspicious. I plan on the players being fetched to Scintilla to a meeting of the Calixian Conclave, where they are ordered to explain themselves, and will have to chose where their loyalties lie.

Of course, if they chose poorly, that campain ends, the characters go to war against the Imperium, and new characters are rolled, with their first quest being to stop their old characters overthrowing the established order.