PDA

View Full Version : Broken feat?

olelia
2008-11-05, 03:13 PM
In the campaign I play in there is a feat that adds your intelligence modifier <untyped> to all allie's initiative check, the allies have to be within 30 feat. This feat doesn't effect you unless two different people have the feat. Would you consider this overpowered or underpowered and a waste of a feat? To get the feat you have to take two other feats that are campaign specific and don't really add that much if your a non fighter type. I'm currently thinking about taking it for my wizard so I can give +8 to everyone's initiative.

Sinfire Titan
2008-11-05, 03:17 PM
Considering there is a Counter in the Book of Nine Swords that gives you a +20 to the Init next round and another that allows you to give an ally an extra turn every time you use it, and that the Factotum gets a similar ability to the one you are thinking about at 2nd level, I doubt it is broken.

Oh, and Marshals can use Motivate Dexterity to boost their ally's init by their Cha mods, which applies to all allies in 60ft (at least, last I checked Motivate Charisma, it could do that). At 1st level.

RTGoodman
2008-11-05, 03:22 PM
OP, could you tell us what feat and what edition you're talking about? I assume 3.x, but I've never heard of such a feat. Unless it's one of the teamwork feats (which it sounds like), in which case it probably isn't that broken.

Oh, and Marshals can use Motivate Dexterity to boost their ally's init by their Cha mods, which applies to all allies in 60ft (at least, last I checked Motivate Charisma, it could do that). At 1st level.

Yeah, Initiative checks are described as "Dexterity Checks," which is what Motivate Dexterity affects.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-05, 03:23 PM
3 feats to get it? That's way too expensive, IMHO. However, what are those feats? There may be a use for a Wiz that you aren't seeing.

valadil
2008-11-05, 03:34 PM
Depends what the other 3 feats are. What I don't like about it is that with that many prereqs and another person, you now have 2 characters with 3 identical feats. That seems like it would monotonize the game a whee bit.

You're probably better off taking leadership for a pocket Marshall with the aforementioned dex boost up all the time.

olelia
2008-11-05, 03:40 PM
Woops...misread it slightly after talking with DM...here it is

Tactical Awareness [Military]
You are able to help your allies maintain a high
level of readiness at all times.
Prerequisites: Int 13, Leadership.
Benefit: At the beginning of combat, as long as
you are not surprised, unconscious, or otherwise unable
to communicate, each ally within 30 feet who is able
to hear and see you gains an insight bonus on initiative
equal to your Intelligence modifier. This bonus does
not apply to you.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-05, 09:22 PM
Take it. It requires LEADERSHIP, the best feat in the entire game, to give the entire party twice the bonus of Improved Init, which is a very good feat on it's own. Take it NAOW.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-11-05, 09:51 PM
Dude, if your DM is letting you take Leadership cheese, do it (and take this feat while you're at it).

FMArthur
2008-11-05, 11:45 PM
If you've got leadership, don't bother: make your cohort take the feat so that
1) You recieve its benefit
and
2) You can spend your feat on other things that aid your class specifically.

I recommend a Marshal cohort, whose sole purpose is to stand around continuously shouting encouragement at the party to one effect or another.

In fact, you should make his cohorts and all your other ones into Marshals and get every type of aura going at the same time. Then build a still-living flesh golem out of them to conserve space, and ride atop it to dish out destruction from above. It's very noisy, too: you might coax your DM into allowing that many marshals to deal sonic damage with all their voices constantly yammering about tactics and effort to everyone in 30ft.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-05, 11:49 PM
But then the Cohort would need Leadership. And if you're a greedy Wiz, you can make your team give you more money for the buffs.

golentan
2008-11-06, 12:17 AM
...and ride atop it to dish out destruction from above. It's very noisy, too: you might coax your DM into allowing that many marshals to deal sonic damage with all their voices constantly yammering about tactics and effort to everyone in 30ft.

If you're, say, ON TOP of the thing, it's a bad idea to make it do sonic damage to creatures within thirty feet. A distance of 0 is less than 30, unless I've entered a parallel universe.

I agree, get the feat, it gives no penalties and the prereqs are crazy breakable.