PDA

View Full Version : Iron Heroes - Leadership Feat.

kkortekaas
2008-11-05, 04:00 PM
Howdy Folks,
I've got a concept for my character (an archer) that involves taking something like the leadership feat from standard 3.5 D&D. Anyone have any input as to how I could go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Kkortekaas

Whiplord
2008-11-05, 04:05 PM
...Ask your DM?

Quietus
2008-11-05, 04:06 PM
Howdy Folks,
I've got a concept for my character (an archer) that involves taking something like the leadership feat from standard 3.5 D&D. Anyone have any input as to how I could go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Kkortekaas

1) Check that your DM is cool with it
2) Get to level 6
3) Write "Leadership" in your list of feats
4) ????
5) Profit!

kkortekaas
2008-11-07, 09:30 AM
Perhaps I didn't make myself as clear as I should have.

I have talked with my DM and he wants to turn it into a Social Master feat tree with it starting at Mastery level 3.

The earliest an Archer could take a Social Master III feat is at level 9, and I don't want to wait that long.

I need to find a way to "dumb" down the Leadership feat (either by dropping the level of cohort I can aquire, or reducing my score or something and both my DM and myself are unsure how to proceed with it.

Hopefully someone can provide me with some insight as to how I can carry this out.

BRC
2008-11-07, 09:39 AM
Perhaps I didn't make myself as clear as I should have.

I have talked with my DM and he wants to turn it into a Social Master feat tree with it starting at Mastery level 3.

The earliest an Archer could take a Social Master III feat is at level 9, and I don't want to wait that long.

I need to find a way to "dumb" down the Leadership feat (either by dropping the level of cohort I can aquire, or reducing my score or something and both my DM and myself are unsure how to proceed with it.

Hopefully someone can provide me with some insight as to how I can carry this out.

Well, what's more important to you, the Cohort or the Followers, you could concievably split them into seperate feats (Devoted Accomplace or somthing that gives you a Cohort and Popular Leader for Followers)

kkortekaas
2008-11-07, 10:50 AM
I'd love to have a sort of squire that would be more then just wall dressing.

Wckd
2008-11-07, 03:11 PM
Limiting the abilities of the apprentice/squire would be one way to 'bump down' leadership as you call it. Here is one way to do it: The 'protege' would start at lvl 1 at the time you aquire the apprentice. The apprentice would gain lvls based upon the time spent in your company, instead of by earning exp. How long time it takes for the apprentice to progress would have to be something you have to discuss with your dm.

Here is how a wizard's apprentice could progress:
1st lvl: Carry two wands/scrolls/rods etc. The wizard can draw this item as if having the quick-draw feat.
2nd lvl: Read magic, the apprentice can help the wizard copy spells it takes 33% less time to copy a spell.
3rd lvl: The apprentice has gained a greater understanding of magic. It now takes 50% less time for the wizard to copy a spell.
4th lvl: The apprentice has gained knowledge of all cantrips available to the wizard, and may memorize and cast one cantrip per day.
5th lvl: The apprentice can now memorize and cast 3 cantrips per day. The apprentice has gained knowledge of two 1st lvl spells and can memorize and cast one of them.
6th lvl: The apprentice can memorize and cast 4 cantrips per day, as well as two 1st lvl spells.
7th lvl and above: The apprentice gains access to more and higher lvl spells.

A squire could progress in this way:
1: The squire is able to don armor for the warrior.
2: The squire can carry two weapons/or a weapon and a shield for the warrior. Drawing a weapon/shield carried by the squire counts as if the warrior had the quick-draw feat.
3: The squire gains light armor proficiency
4: The squire gains proficiency with and can use the following weapons for basic attacks: Mace(light), Shortspear, Quarterstaff, Sling.
5: Favored Enemy
6: Uncanny Dodge
7 and beyond: More weapon/armor/shield proficiencies, feats and abilities.

I hope this can help you a bit :)

ShaggyMarco
2008-11-08, 10:17 AM
If you are just now making the character, take the Prodigy talent from the player's companion for the feat tree that gives you the cohort-That gives you the mastery level 3 for that feat at level 7. This is close to the traditional level for Leadership

Alternately, you could take levels in Thief or Man-At-Arms to up your Social mastery by a little more.

Combine the two tactics to get this feat pretty quickly.

bbugg
2008-11-10, 02:26 PM
I'm kkortekaas's DM.

I've been thinking about this, and is there a reason you can't access leadership until level 6? I mean, the feat scales with level, so who cares? I'm thinking of simply making it available at low levels, but maintain the rule that your cohort (sidekick sounds better) must be two levels below you.

Here's my plan:

Leadership [Social]

The force of your personality attracts followers.

Base Mastery: 2
Prerequisite: Must have demonstrated a great quality worthy of followers.
Benefit: gain a sidekick (cohort), as with the leadership feat.

Expanded Mastery: 3
+1 Leadership Score

Expanded Mastery: 4
Gain followers, as with the leadership feat

Expanded Mastery: 5
+1 Leadership Score

Expanded Mastery: 6
For each Follower who is above 1st level, gain an extra 1st level follower.

Expanded Mastery: 7
+1 Leadership Score

Expanded Mastery: 8
Gain two additional Followers of the highest level available for your leadership score, but they must be thesame class as you.

Expanded Mastery: 9
+1 Leadership Score

Expanded Mastery: 10
Maximum sidekick level is one less than your level

Comments?

bbugg
2008-11-10, 02:29 PM
Actually, this makes me wonder...

The power of the feat is dependant on your level. That means a theif gets access very early, but it's useless. Someone else gets it later, but it's just as powerful as the theif's.

Should I change it so that your cohort level is equal to twice your Social Mastery level + CHA mod? That would give the theif better access...

bbugg
2008-11-10, 02:38 PM
Now I'm not as convinced.

This (http://www.kismetrose.com/dnd/DMLeadership.html) is an interesting discussion of the leadership feat.

It makes me think I should scrap the whole idea of making it a mastery feat and just make it a general feat available to all, exactly like in 3.5.

Thoughts?? I'm kind of stuck here...