PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Cleric Spells?

Egiam
2008-11-05, 05:20 PM
I am planning to play a Cleric in an upcoming campaign. I have acsess to plenty of acsessory books. Should I be able to use those? If so, that means that every Suppelment book I get makes my character better. I seems kind of complicated to have to lug around and reference all of those every session. Secrets Of Sarlona Says that you can use ruins and scrolls to learn new ones like a Wizard.

Inyssius Tor
2008-11-05, 05:40 PM
Clerics automatically know every Cleric spell ever published, yes.

EDIT: Is this broken? Of course it is.

FMArthur
2008-11-05, 05:48 PM
Just copy down the spells you think you'll need onto a single document, and keep the books handy in case you need to look up a more thorough description of the spells.

monty
2008-11-05, 06:05 PM
If you're playing 3.5, you can find a list of most of them at Crystalkeep.

holywhippet
2008-11-05, 06:24 PM
Clerics automatically know every Cleric spell ever published, yes.

EDIT: Is this broken? Of course it is.

With some exceptions. Clerics cannot use spells that oppose their alignment - so a lawful good cleric can't cast create undead because it is an evil spell, nor can they cast protection from law because it's a chaotic spell.

Egiam
2008-11-05, 07:01 PM
Thanks! That answered my question.

Thurbane
2008-11-06, 05:07 AM
A houserule I've seen is for Clerics (or any other class that has instant access to every spell on their list, Druids etc.) is to swap out core spells for non-core on a 1 for 1 basis, so that their list remains the same number of spells at each level, but is customizable.

Obviously, this isn't to everyone's taste...

jcsw
2008-11-06, 05:17 AM
If you find this too imba, you can (get your DM to) rule that you know every SRD spell, but only know of outside spells if you see them being cast or have a deity that's themed around it.

Paul H
2008-11-11, 11:58 AM
Hi

Could be worse - 10 levels of Rainbow Servant (CD) allow you access to ALL Cleric spells (plus Domain spells/powers of Air, Good & Law). Add these to Warmage or Beguiler & you can spont. Cleric spells from any source the GM allows. This in addition to your (original) class.

Drawabacks are no Turn Undead, & you lose 4 CL. (12th lvl caster at 16th lvl). Oh - and you need to find some Coatls in your campaign.........

Cheers
Paul H