PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Optimizing a sniping mini-boss

Tyrael
2008-11-05, 05:48 PM
Ahoy, folks. Just a quick question. I'm working on creating a "miniboss" in the dungeon my players are currently in. The party is currently level 7, so I don't want to throw anything greater than level 10 at them.

I want to create a hit-and-fade sniper that harasses them with occasional potshots throughout the dungeon, then disappearing. These potshots should deal a lot of damage, but not kill them. I just want to keep them on their toes. Average party HP is pretty low. There's a bard with ~27hp, a rogue/swashbuckler with ~34hp, a monk with ~25hp, a druid/tempest with ~53hp, and an intelligent NPC wolf with ~60hp.

The big caveat, though, is that the campaign is supposed to be fairly low-magic, about the level of the Lord of the Rings. At the moment, the players are in the ruined magical dungeon of a long-gone civilization, so SOME magical stuff might come in, but it's mostly from the environment, not the character. Scrolls, wands, and spellcasting classes are forbidden (I homebrewed the Bard and gave him Ranger BAB and saves in exchange for removing Bard spells).

I was thinking of throwing a level 9 ninja at them, but the supernatural abilities make me hesitate. Perhaps straight Rogue would be better? I'm looking for ways to get a hefty amount of precision damage. The only other requirement is that he be an elf, since I've previously established him as an elf.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-05, 05:52 PM
How do you feel about Factotum's? You could use one of those to make a pretty good sniper.

BRC
2008-11-05, 05:56 PM
How do you feel about Factotum's? You could use one of those to make a pretty good sniper.
You can use a Factotum to make a pretty good Anything, that's the point of the class.

Tyrael
2008-11-05, 05:59 PM
Sure, Factoti are fine. They're pretty mundane. What are you thinking?

Epinephrine
2008-11-05, 06:01 PM
Scouts deal precision damage, get nice movement bonuses, and early access to things like Camouflage. They're also ideal for hit-and-run, since that's what they do.

By 9th level a scout would have a+3d6 damage skirmish attack, and +2 AC just for moving 10'. If he took Improved Skirmish he could get an additional +2d6 skirmish damage and +2AC when moving 20', making him pretty nifty.

He'd also get fast movement, flawless stride (allowing him to get full move across bad terrain, like rubble - good for getting away, keeping foes at a range), camouflage, evasion, uncanny dodge, and two bonus scout feats.

They have 8 skill points per level, and all the skill you'd need to harass a party (Hide, Move Silently, Craft, Spot, Listen), trapfinding, and so on.

I'd consider giving him a level of Combat Trapsmith, and he can hit and run, retreating through traps he's quickly set up (mostly just stuff to slow the enemy). A foe that can rig up annoying traps in a round, can hit and run? Nasty.

Gaiwecoor
2008-11-05, 06:02 PM
Two suggestions:

First: This might not work considering low-magic and spellcasting forbidden, but since you mentioned a Druid, I thought I'd mention it. You'll probably find at least 12 people screaming "No! Don't listen to that guy," but I'd suggest a warlock. His eldritch blast will deal as much damage as a sneak attack with a ranged touch (level 9, average damage of 17.5 each). Some of the invocations also help with the hit-and-fade bit. Flee the scene and invisibility always help with this.

Second: Scout. They're great archers, and deal a decent amount of damage. An additional level or two of Ranger can help, if you take Swift Hunter (C. Scoundrel). By that level, he should be able to qualify for Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot), allowing the arrows to do even more skirmish damage. Use the scout's swift movement and hide skills to do what needs to in fading away.

Hallavast
2008-11-05, 06:08 PM
Does it have to be a "he"? Honestly, the first thing I thought when I read the thread title was "Ok, somebody wants stats for a sword & sorcery Sniper Wolf."

By dungeon I assume you mean underground or otherwise indoor areas. Also, sniping with precision damage at this level is hard without magic. Rogue sneak attack range is only within 30ft. If you're ok with that range, then I would invest heavily in the hide skill. Get max skill ranks in hide and maybe pick up a feat like stealthy or skill focus: hide. A cloak of elvenkind would also be very handy. Move silently is also important if you need to slip away without before they find you.

If your NPC wolf has scent that could be a problem. I'm sure the elves in your campaign setting have some kind of herb or oil that will mask your scent if you get creative, though. :smallwink:

Equipment-wise I would go with the heavy crossbow (maybe magical, definitely masterwork). With a crossbow you can shoot from prone and don't have to worry about a strength modifier. A heavy crossbow would maximize your possible range and since you only plan to shoot once per "encounter", you don't need to worry about the reload time. Throw in some light constitution poison for added effect.

AslanCross
2008-11-05, 06:13 PM
There's also a Scout Alternate class feature that exchanges Skirmish for Snipe, which gives you extra damage in exchange for taking a full-round action (and not moving) to attack an enemy at 60 feet away or further.
Problem is, that's going to be a very slow fight if he can only take one shot every turn.

On the other hand, Skirmish, I'd like to point out, has a maximum range of 30 feet. If your opponents can reach you in one turn, I wouldn't consider that sniping successfully. Of course, if your boss is a Scout and is in a dense wooded area (difficult terrain), it would be excellent since he can literally run circles around the enemy while taking potshots.

Something you might want to consider: The Crossbow Sniper feat allows you to add half your Dexterity modifier to your damage, and also allows you to make Sneak Attacks and Skirmish attacks up to 60 feet away. Of course, you need to be using a crossbow and need to have Weapon Focus (crossbow type), which is rather lame.

You do need to mitigate that nasty -20 penalty on your post-shot Hide check, though. I find that an oft-forgotten penalty to Spot checks is range. If you manage to keep your distance, your Hide check will be a lot easier to make.

If you're willing to burn a feat for Exotic Weapon Proficiency, take the Great Crossbow (Races of Stone). 2d8 damage, 18-20/x2, 120 ft. range increments. Probably not optimal if you have a feat-heavy build, but I sure like the idea of having the crossbow equivalent of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M82A1_afmil.jpg).

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-05, 06:18 PM
Sure, Factoti are fine. They're pretty mundane. What are you thinking?

Dark Grey Elf Factotum 10 (using LA buy off).

Spend a feat of Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Dragon #319, gives Int to HP instead of Con) and spend the rest on Font of Inspiration.

Max hide and move silently and you should have around +30 in both of them. Arcane Dilettante gets you Sniper Shot (no range limit on ranged sneak attacks) and Greater Invisibility.

Use Hide and Move Silently (and remember that the Dark template gives Hide in Plain Sight) to sneak up on the party, cast greater invisibility (1 IP), spend 1 IP to cast Sniper Shot, spend 2 of your 11 IP to get Int to Attack and Damage, and then spend 7 IP on Cunning Strike. If you get within 30 feet you might want to use Wraithstrike instead of Sniper Shot.

Assuming 20 Dex and 22 Int (18 in each from 32 PB, then the grey elf bonuses, and then both level up points in Int) then you get +18 on the attack roll against a flat footed enemy (-4 AC) and with wraithstrike it's a touch attack, if you have a Glove of the Master Strategist you can also gain +20 from True Strike. You deal 1d8+7d6+4 damage, or an average of 33 (higher with other items).

You then hide and wait to recover before repeating the experience. Depending on how many spells you want to use you could repeat as often as once every 5 miniutes.

EDIT: Assuming no spellcasting then you might want to replace Arcane Dilettante with bonus feats but it doesn't cost you that much. You take -20 to the hide check in the round you snipe but with +34 (13 ranks + 6 from Brains over Brawn + 5 from Dex + 8 from Dark template + 2 from masterwork tool) to the hide check that's still +14. If you are willing to go to level 11 then you can do a 1 level dip in Exemplar and get Skill Mastery, meaning you can take 10 on your hide and move silently checks.

Drop one of the Font of Inspiration feats and pick up Skill Focus: Hide (needed to qualify for Exemplar) and you will have +17 after Sniping.

Epinephrine
2008-11-05, 06:32 PM
On the other hand, Skirmish, I'd like to point out, has a maximum range of 30 feet. If your opponents can reach you in one turn, I wouldn't consider that sniping successfully. Of course, if your boss is a Scout and is in a dense wooded area (difficult terrain), it would be excellent since he can literally run circles around the enemy while taking potshots.

THeres a feat that extends your range to 60', and Shot on the Run allows you to move, shoot, and move again, meaning that you can duck within your 30' or 60' range and back out again.

Hinder can be handy too, sacrifice 2d6 skirmish damage to drop the enemy's speed by 10'. Repeated use can really annoy a party, making them sitting ducks. Granted, even with 2 scout bonus feats, and the 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 9th level feats you might start running out.

I suggested combat trapsmith for a level or so to make certain he can get away but even just using rubble/underbrush is enough. The footspiker, entangler, equalizer and other similar traps would just be a bonus. I think a combat trapsmith would be a real pain to try to pursue when he's playing hit and run and bypassing his own traps.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-05, 06:43 PM
Awakened dungeonbred dark umber hulk. Burrow through walls, blast someone with a confuse gaze, hide in plain sight, and then flee. Let the party damage themselves.

SoD
2008-11-05, 06:47 PM
Awakened dungeonbred dark umber hulk. Burrow through walls, blast someone with a confuse gaze, hide in plain sight, and then flee. Let the party damage themselves.

:smalleek: says it all! I'm so using that! But would awakened work? I thought that an umber hulk had a decent (read: 3+) int score, about a 6 or so...

Egiam
2008-11-05, 07:11 PM
Vampire. Maybe give him wizard lvls and a crossbow. But seriously, all those awesome ablities will do the trick (gaseous form).

Vizen
2008-11-05, 07:15 PM
Besides the damage people are throwing out from abilities and whatnot, have you thought about having the character use, say, poisoned arrows? Poison is not necessarily magic, and does add a nice surprise to the attacks.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-05, 07:26 PM
Yeah, throw in some Drow Sleeping Poison.

Tyrael
2008-11-05, 07:28 PM
There's also a Scout Alternate class feature that exchanges Skirmish for Snipe, which gives you extra damage in exchange for taking a full-round action (and not moving) to attack an enemy at 60 feet away or further.
Problem is, that's going to be a very slow fight if he can only take one shot every turn.

Something you might want to consider: The Crossbow Sniper feat allows you to add half your Dexterity modifier to your damage, and also allows you to make Sneak Attacks and Skirmish attacks up to 60 feet away. Of course, you need to be using a crossbow and need to have Weapon Focus (crossbow type), which is rather lame.

You do need to mitigate that nasty -20 penalty on your post-shot Hide check, though. I find that an oft-forgotten penalty to Spot checks is range. If you manage to keep your distance, your Hide check will be a lot easier to make.

If you're willing to burn a feat for Exotic Weapon Proficiency, take the Great Crossbow (Races of Stone). 2d8 damage, 18-20/x2, 120 ft. range increments. Probably not optimal if you have a feat-heavy build, but I sure like the idea of having the crossbow equivalent of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M82A1_afmil.jpg).

This is the best idea so far. Where can I find that Snipe variant?

What is the Spot penalty due to range? I can't find it in the PHB anywhere.

@Epinephrine: Do you remember what that extend-Skirmish-to-60' feat yo mentioned is?

Fax Celestis
2008-11-05, 07:38 PM
:smalleek: says it all! I'm so using that! But would awakened work? I thought that an umber hulk had a decent (read: 3+) int score, about a 6 or so...

Well, it's an aberration (IIRC) so awaken wouldn't technically work on it anyway. Maybe it's just an umber hulk that rolled pretty much average stats but decided to put an 18 in Int. Maybe you can add another template that gives it better intelligence (Guardian from Dungeonscape does that, I think--I always forget if it raises Int or Wis). Maybe it has a circlet of intellect +4 is grafted onto its head. There are ways.

Neon Knight
2008-11-05, 07:46 PM
Maybe a Neogi could command it. I think there is a stealthy assassin type Neogi in Lords of Madness.

Epinephrine
2008-11-05, 08:05 PM
@Epinephrine: Do you remember what that extend-Skirmish-to-60' feat yo mentioned is?

Ranged Skirmisher, from DR 346, requires Dex 13, Wis, 13, Skirmish ability, Point Blank Shot and Far Shot.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-05, 08:31 PM
What about Psionics? I'd make him a Psychic Warrior 4 or 5/ Ranger 4 or 5 with Greater Psionic Shot. Give him the power Chameleon (+10 Enhancement to Hide) and the spell Camouflage (+10 Circumstance to Hide). Maybe also give him the power Dissolving Weapon to use on an arrow before he takes his shot. That would be 1d8 (bow) +2 or +4 (Favored Enemy) +4d6 (Greater Psionic Weapon) +4d6 Acid (Dissolving Weapon), for an average of around 35 damage per shot, without much extra on a critical hit so he probably won't one-shot anyone. Give him Speed of Thought, Up the Walls, and Psionic Meditation and the power Hustle to make sure he can get away. I'd even consider giving him the Wild Shape variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) just for the Fast Movement, since he probably won't ever use Rapid Shot. Plus it will make him even more enigmatic if they see him turn into a bird and fly away!

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-05, 10:02 PM
Here's (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=19176) what I would use for the BBEG. If you allow arcane dilettante it would be different but assuming no spells or magic items allowed that's what I would run.

Prometheus
2008-11-05, 10:21 PM
I say make it a goblin who has set up improvised traps and preloaded heavy crossbows or ballistas. He manually sets almost everything off and than runs away just as fast as he came. Because he pretty much has everything prepared, it's not hard to believe that he can hit with regularity and dish out some decent damage. However, he is limited to where the PCs progress in the dungeon so if they take too much heat, all the have to do is hold off until they can recover.

Rei_Jin
2008-11-05, 10:35 PM
I get what you're saying about it being super low magic, but you ARE in a magical dungeon. Having a creature that has some level of natural magic would work nicely I think.

One of the most memorable sniping bad guys I've run was a Choker Warlock. The ability to use an Eldritch Blast, then Flee the Scene and still have a move action adds so much to the build.

Also, he doesn't do high damage, just small amounts of consistant damage, and from a decent range as well.

jcsw
2008-11-06, 05:24 AM
Dip swordsage to get the child of shadow stance? This isn't exactly efficient, but it looks cool when your BBEG fades into shadow whenever he moves...

goram.browncoat
2008-11-06, 05:42 AM
Something simple(books: CV, CW, HoB):
ftr5/masterThrower5 (i think ftr5 can qualify, dont remember prereqs by heart) with palm throw and weakspot throw tricks.
take the feat from heroes of battle that gives hide and ms as class skill
take brutal throw/power attack/power throw
palm throw power attacked poisoned darts against touch attack (you may have to take some distance penalties though, even with farshot its only 40ft rng increment .. then again youre trying to hit touch attack)
You could also give him the skill trick that trips people with thrown weapons, to be extra annoying.

Im not 100% sure youre allowed to use the touch attack trick with power throw as it seems weird (since it says it doesnt allow str dmg to damage) but i dont recall explcitly reading that you cant.

EDIT: What am I saying! uneven ftr levels .. my gods! Stick in a level of something else that is fullbab, maybe ftr4/warblade1/mt5 to pick up some initiator level 3 tricks.

AslanCross
2008-11-06, 07:44 AM
This is the best idea so far. Where can I find that Snipe variant?

What is the Spot penalty due to range? I can't find it in the PHB anywhere.

Thanks. Please check your PM box.

The spot penalty is under the Spot skill entry in the skills chapter. -1 per 10 feet of distance.

EDIT: It seems to refer to "Spot checks to determine the distance at which the encounter begins," though I think it makes sense to apply it to most Spot checks anyway.

Zeful
2008-11-06, 09:49 AM
The spot penalty is under the Spot skill entry in the skills chapter. -1 per 10 feet of distance.

EDIT: It seems to refer to "Spot checks to determine the distance at which the encounter begins," though I think it makes sense to apply it to most Spot checks anyway.

It also prevents people from shooting the maximum range with ranged weapons. A composite longbow of Distance used with the far shot feet has a maximum range of 3300 ft (110x2)x1.5). The Spot DC to even see that far is 330, assuming the target has a 0 dex mod, no ranks in hide, and is trying to be seen.

Tyrael
2008-11-06, 11:44 AM
Here's (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=19176) what I would use for the BBEG. If you allow arcane dilettante it would be different but assuming no spells or magic items allowed that's what I would run.

Yeowch. That thing's nasty. Average of 41 damage is a biiiit too high for the party's current HP levels. Very cool anyway, though.

Human Paragon 3
2008-11-06, 12:01 PM
Soublow makes a good sniper. They get free archery feats and can put cool effects on their shots. My favorite is the dispelling effect that will take down your PC's magical defenses and temporarily disable their items. They can also charge up for a psychic strike, which I think is good for a sniper type that delivers a single, powerful shot.

Mando Knight
2008-11-06, 01:40 PM
Arcane Archer. Should be under-optimized enough to avoid an accidental TPK, but might be good enough to actually pose a threat.

Epinephrine
2008-11-06, 02:40 PM
It also prevents people from shooting the maximum range with ranged weapons. A composite longbow of Distance used with the far shot feet has a maximum range of 3300 ft (110x2)x1.5). The Spot DC to even see that far is 330, assuming the target has a 0 dex mod, no ranks in hide, and is trying to be seen.

Very odd, because one can of course see pretty far. I can see airplanes just fine, despite them being over 3,000 ft above me. In fact, I recall when I was skydiving being able to see the rather small airplane just fine from the ground. Sure, it's probably Huge (+8 to Spot), but with a -300 to my Spot check I should never have been able to see it. And don't even get me started about satellites, the moon, planets, and stars.

The Spot system clearly doesn't work well for that type of thing. It's a decent system for doing things up close, but it should scale differently at greater distances.

Tyrael
2008-11-06, 02:51 PM
I'm fiddling around with the Sniper Scout build.

Bonus Feats included, he's got EWP: Great Crossbow, Able Sniper, Weapon Focus: Great Crossbow, Crossbow Sniper, Skill Focus: Hide and Concealed Ambush (DR339). Able Sniper allows me +2 vs flat-footed opponents farther than 30ft, and gives +4 to Hide after Sniping. Concealed Ambush lowers the Sniping Hide penalty from -20 to -10.

Couple that with +3 Hide from Skill Focus, and this guy essentially has -3 to Hiding again after each shot. With 12 ranks and a +6 DEX mod (22 DEX, 18 natural, +2 elf, +2 lvl4/8), he's got a grand total of +21 to Hide at level 9. Pretty damn good, and that's without any items whatsoever.

As for equipment, I'm tempted to put the Distance property on his Great Crossbow, but how often will you get distances of 240 feet in a dungeon? I kinda wanna give him a Cloak of Elvenkind, but with that kind of Hide bonus (and the party's scouter only has about +8 or so to Spot and Listen), I think that giving this boss any more Hide is kind of redundant. I think his equipment should probably give him damage-dealing capabilities, but I'm not sure how to do that. Perhaps minorly magical bolts? I've been saying to the players that if they can think of a way to re-fluff a magical item in a nonmagical way (for example, the party Rogue's Boots of Landing are simply re-fluffed as very well-padded, shock-absorbing boots instead of having a magical enchantment on otherwise normal boots). Possibly give him Bolts of Biting?

If I go with the Bolts of Biting and make his Great Crossbow with a +3 enchantment...He'd be firing 1 shot each round at +17 (+19 vs flat-footed) as a full-round action, dealing 2d8+3d6+3+3+1 damage with each shot, then there's the DC16Fort save or take 1d6CON. Call that...12-41 damage, 24 damage on average, then the variable CON damage. Possibly enough to kill the weaker party members in one shot, but on average just enough to slam them down to low HP and scare them. Gooooood.

Does being Prone give a Hide bonus?

So, end build:

Elf Scout 9, Sniper variant
STR: 10
DEX: 22
CON: 12
WIS: 16
INT: 16
CHA: 8

AC: 22
HP: 66
Fort: +4
Reflex: +12
Will: +6
Initiative: +6

Notable skills:
Balance: +20
Climb: +12
Escape Artist: +18
Hide: +21
Jump: +14
Listen: +15
Move Silently: +18
Search: +15
Spot: +15
Tumble: +20
Use Rope: +20

Feats:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Great Crossbow
Able Sniper
Weapon Focus: Great Crossbow
Crossbow Sniper
Skill Focus: Hide
Concealed Ambush

Equipment:
Great Crossbow +3 (scope attached for flavor)
Mithril Chain Shirt +2
Bolts of Biting

Attack: +17 Great Crossbow (2d8+7)
Full Attack: +17 (+19 vs flat-footed) Great Crossbow (2d8+7, +3d6 further than 60ft).

Combat Behavior:
Goes Prone between 60ft and 120ft away from the party. Aims through the scope and watches, Hiding at +21 bonus. Shoots once (+17 or +19, 2d8+3d6+7 damage) as a full-round action, then Hides immediately afterward at a +18 bonus. Repeat until party is dead or flees.

Ganurath
2008-11-06, 02:58 PM
Human Rogue 9
1: Weapon Focus (Light Crossbow)
1: Rapid Reload (Light Crossbow)
3: Crossbow Sniper (PHBII)
6: Improved Critical (Light Crossbow)
9: Telling Blow (PHBII)

End result: Sneak attacks from up to 60ft away for 5d6 damage per shot, with just enough BAB for two shots per round. If they ever get to the Sniper Rogue, he still has a 20% chance per attack of dealing out a Sneak Attack thanks to Telling Blow. Combine with home field advantage, and you have a damn good sniper.

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-06, 03:06 PM
Alternately, since it is a magical dungeon, you could have it be a defender of the dungeon, that draws on its magic and has weird abilities. How about an earth elemental warlock. Reflavor eldricth blast to be a blast of stone shards, and then the elemental's earth glide lets it fade away (through the walls).

You should give it that power that creates a hand from the earth that grabs someone. I love doing that with earth elementals.

I wouldn't worry about giving it actual warlock levels, just give it a few approproate invocations and an eldritch blast as a warlock of its HD.

edit - also, I am totally stealing this encounter for my own use

AslanCross
2008-11-06, 04:19 PM
Human Rogue 9
1: Weapon Focus (Light Crossbow)
1: Rapid Reload (Light Crossbow)
3: Crossbow Sniper (PHBII)
6: Improved Critical (Light Crossbow)
9: Telling Blow (PHBII)

End result: Sneak attacks from up to 60ft away for 5d6 damage per shot, with just enough BAB for two shots per round. If they ever get to the Sniper Rogue, he still has a 20% chance per attack of dealing out a Sneak Attack thanks to Telling Blow. Combine with home field advantage, and you have a damn good sniper.

Improved Critical requires a BAB of +8. A Rogue 6 wouldn't be able to get it.

Edit: If anyone is considering a rogue sniper build, I suggest potions of Sniper's Shot (Spell Compendium). It's a Lv 1 Ranger/Assassin spell and provides unlimited range on your next Sneak Attack. Problem is you might have to houserule that it can be drunk as a swift action. (The spell is a swift action and lasts for only one round, but potions take standard actions to drink, so it would be utterly useless if it's drunk as a standard action)

Paul H
2008-11-11, 08:13 PM
Hi

May sound strange - but what about Grey Elf Beguiler? Gtr Invis to snipe with Longbow, finish off with Whelm spells. That way you don't kill them, but they have to decide whether to leave a wounded unconcious colleague behind. The moral consequences abound. Hehehehehehe :smallbiggrin:

If things get too close, cast Legion of Sentinels to slow them down.
(Just check out their spell list - it's awesome)!

Grey Elf Beguiler 9

1) Spell Focus Enchants
3) Unsettling Enchants
6) Arcane Disciple (Travel)
9) Gtr Spell Focus Enchants

Easy to get Int 26 by 9th lvl, so +10 save Enhants.
(DC 24 save for Confusion spell)

Cheers
Paul H

Tyrael
2008-11-11, 11:57 PM
Well, the fight went rather shortly. The PCs came into a room with lava and rocky islands to jump between, and a few rope bridges. The party monk began exploring the bridges, and the mini-boss (Scout 9) pressed his nocked bow to her back and told her not to move, and to tell the party to just go back. The party all made their Sense Motives, and combat started. The Scout shoved the monk off the edge, then backflipped onto one of the rocky islands, Skirmishing and shooting the party's tank for 30 damage. Everyone freaked out when they heard that number. The party's bard ran up with his whip, tripped the Scout...and that was pretty much that. Everyone else got into position, and by the time the Scout pulled out a homebrewed Hookshot and grappled away, he was almost dead. He fired the Hookshot and got pulled to the nearest wall, but the AoO's it generated nearly killed him. After a round of failed archery from the party, the Scout Hookshotted back onto another island and tried to run away and Skirmish. Missed. Party ran, caught up with him, and diced him into itty bitty bits. The end.

Oh, well. It was a nice idea. I might pull out that long-range Sniper build and throw it at them in a session or two. I like the idea of a DnD Sniper Wolf who slams arrows the size of your arm at you from 300 feet away.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-12, 12:00 AM
There's still my factotum. :smallwink:

ColonelFuster
2008-11-12, 12:07 AM
Why did the party not trust the monk that there was a better way to go around than, well, through LAVA? Sounds like a case of "why are you making a sense motive check" madness to me.

AslanCross
2008-11-12, 04:59 AM
Here's what I'm going to use for my own campaign.

The Black and the Purple players: keep out.

That includes you too, James.

Note: The Rogue used here is the Pathfinder variant, hence the larger-than-usual number of feats and bleeding attack.
Galkta CR 8
Female Greenspawn Rogue 6
LE Small monstrous humanoid (dragonblood)
Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +13, Spot +13
Languages Draconic
---------------------
AC 24, touch 16, flat-footed 24; uncanny dodge
(+1 size,+5 Dex, +5 armor, +3 natural)
hp 60 (8 HD)
Resist evasion
Immune acid
Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +7
---------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee dragonsplit +6 (1d4/19-20 or x4)
Ranged +1 great crossbow +14 [+16 against flat-footed opponents] (2d6+4/18-20; 120 ft.; Targets are treated as 2 range increments closer; does not affect anything less than 2 range increments away.)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +6; Grp +2
Atk Options sneak attack +3d6, bleeding attack
Combat Gear 20 crossbow bolts, +1 good outsider bane crossbow bolt, +1 elf bane crossbow bolts (3), +1 human bane crossbow bolt, 4 potions of sniper's shot, blend cream
----------------------
Abilities Str 10, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 12
SQ water breathing
Feats Two-Weapon Fighting(B), Weapon Focus (heavy crossbow), Crossbow Sniper
Skills Climb +11, Hide +30, Jump +11, Listen +13, Move Silently +22, Spot +13
Possessions combat gear plus +1 great crossbow, +2 studded leather, cloak of elvenkind, gnome crossbow sight
------------------------
Sneak Attack (Ex) Galkta deals an additional 3d6 damage on all attacks against an opponent who is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC or is being flanked.
Bleeding Attack (Ex)
Galkta's sneak attack also causes its target to bleed uncontrollably. Such a target receives 3 damage at the start of each of its turns. A DC 15 Heal check or any effect that heals HP damage stops this effect.
Water Breathing (Ex)
A greenspawn sneak can breathe underwater indefinitely.
Able Sniper (Ex)
Galkta gains a +2 bonus on ranged attacks against flat-footed opponents. She also gains a +4 bonus on her Hide (snipe) check.
Crossbow Sniper (Ex)
Galkta adds half her Dexterity modifier to her damage when attacking with a crossbow. She also may use her sneak attack up to 60 feet away when using a crossbow.
Skills
Greenspawn sneaks have a +5 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, and Move Silently checks.
----------------------
TACTICS
Galkta has an optimum attack range of 60-480 feet away. This means she can practically shoot anywhere in the castle as long as she has clear lines of sight and effect. However, she can only snipe effectively beyond 60 feet if she has drunk a potion of sniper's shot. Otherwise, she will not deal sneak attack damage.

To avoid the range increment penalties, she prefers to take a shot from 120 feet away or less. Once she runs out of sniper's shot potions, she will begin sniping from 60 feet away or less.

Typically she will only fire one shot and immediately Hide (Her check is penalized by 20, for a total of a +14 bonus), and wait for a better opportunity, leaving the area to engage the party at a later time. She will always stalk the party from higher ground, harrying the party while they engage the other encounters.

Galkta will choose her targets wisely, and will always load the appropriate bane bolt. A successful attack under optimal conditions will look like this:
Modifiers:
+2 from Able Sniper
+2 from being unseen
+2 from bane bolt
+1 from higher ground
Attack: D20+21 vs flat-footed AC
(2d6+6+3d6+2d6/18-20 plus bleed)
This is an average of 30.5 damage.

I ran the rolls against the players' stats. The sniper almost never misses against the ECL 10 party members (highest AC is the Ranger/Swordsage at 26) and deals around half the players' HP (except against the wizard---the
shot almost killed him).

Potion of sniper's shot is houseruled to be drunk as a swift action.

Paul H
2008-11-12, 04:53 PM
Hi

You might want to reconsider & use a Beguiler as the recurring 'problem' for the party. Give him a +1 Spellstoring Bow & a wand of Hunter's Mercy.

In the scenario you described with the bridge the Beguiler would be Blurred & have Gtr Invis running. Activate the wand and call out to the party. Next round target the Tank (you're probably about +13 to hit).

If you hit it's auto crit. The 3D8+3 probably isn't going to hurt much, but the 9D6 (crit) non-lethal Inevitable Defeat released from the bow probably will. Worse, he'll be -2AC/To Hit for a round. Next round make a DC25 Will save or take another 9D6 non-lethal. Repeat every round until save made, or spell ends, (9 rnds total).

It won't kill him, but should panic the party a bit.

If you rule that crits only affect initial (not ongoing) damage, then it's 3D6/rnd non-lethal until save is made. If things get a tad too close, just Dim Door out of there.....

Cheers
Paul H