PDA

View Full Version : The Inflictor [Formerly Master of Pain]

BelGareth
2008-11-05, 08:46 PM
I have been looking at the Healer class recently and im loving it, in most of the campaigns I play in its a forbidden class deemed to 'Broken' to play.
I myself have started to DM my own campaign for the first time and am loving it. I decided to let it be played (actually letting them have a cohort Healer) to see if it realy is broken. I have my doubts, regardless. As I was looking at the Healer I thought about the Inflict spells, I have a limited experience playing the game and my group I play with have been playing since 2nd ED, so when things come up they frown or grin and I look at them and ask quietly 'is this bad?'.
So to get to the point I have never seen anyone use the Inflict spells, so I started thinking about them being the make my own path kind of player that I am.
And I have almost fell in love with them, the idea a good cleric can utilize negative energy for his own deeds is very compelling to me, and vice versa an evil vleric using postive energy.
Then I though of the healer class and it came to my mind why not do the oposite?
Why not make class which concentrates on negative energy.
So here it is for you perusal and comments, this is the first version.
I am open to anything if you think the spells are unbalanced or another would be a better a fit I would love to hear it.
I pretty much took the Healer class and adapted it to negative energy. l tried to match the spells as close as possible.
The two I had the hardest with were Bestow Poison and Destroy, as with the healer class there equivalents are Greater Restoration and regenerate.
Also the spell list, I took them from the Cleric list. I tried to put spells that deal affects and damage with some spells to find their foes.

MASTER OF PAIN
The Master of Pain is a tool of his god, much like a Healer in all respects with the exception that a Master of Pain Inflicts pain upon people.
As most clerics are able to heal and Inflict pain upon their enemies a Master is able to Inflict Pain upon there opponents with ease, mastering the negative energy they use.
Adventure: Master's of Pain are the Divine answer to Battle Magic, albeit They take a little different approach they tend to be in groups of adventurers leading them towards a common goal often a particular enemy which their Deity is not fond of.
Characteristics: Masters of Pain are the Masters of the Negative Energy they forgoe using positive energy thinking if they kill the enemy first then who will there be to heal?
Alignment: Masters of Pain come from all Alignments, obviously Evil alinged races tend to have more Masters than most. Masters of Pain from Good Societys tend to be rare and usualy an appointed position from within a church of some sort.
Religion: Religions whom have the Domains of Death, Destruction and War are the most common to have Masters of Pain within their ranks, although any God can have one serve them. All Gods know the importance of balance (well most do) and so you can find Masters of Pain in most religions.
Background: Most Masters of Pain are Torturers (in evil societys) or Punishers (in Lawlful societys), others hold a rank within their Religious order only goign out to destroy a Horde of orcs, Nearly all Masters are Called upon by their god to perform these deeds in theire name.
Races: All races are capable of becoming Masters of Pain, Dwarfs excel at this class even if the deal a little less damage than others. The thrill of striding through battle to lay your hands on a enemy of your race to release your deitys power upon them is sufficient for most races, Elves on the other hand are rare and few.
Other Classes: Clerics of goodly Gods frown at Masters if they are not from the same order or clergy, Healers abhore evil Masters and only tolorate Good ones, Fighter types will be cautious and then learn to like masters as capable wielders of death. Paladins are usualy caught of guard by Good Masters and do not know what to do.
Role: A Master of Pain is capable of dealing with foes in close combat, supplementing the Fighter types within the party very efficiently. Having a spellcaster able to heal in the party is almost a must, as the Master is only capable of finding and killing their enemy.
Game Info
Abilities: Wisdom determines how many and Charisma determines how strong your spells are.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: D8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|
Painful Touch|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|
-|
4|
4|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|
Bestow Paralysis|
4|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|
Bestow Disease|
5|
4|
4|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|
Bestow Fear|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|
Bestow Curse|
5|
5|
4|
4|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|
Effortless Infliction|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|
-|
6|
5|
5|
4|
4|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|
Bestow Blindness|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|
Bestow Poison|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|
4|
-|
-|
-|
-

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|
-|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|
-|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|
4|
-|
-|
-

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|
Turn to Stone|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|
-|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|
4|
-|
-

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|
Destroy|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|
-|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|
4|
-

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|
-|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|
-|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
4|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|
-|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|
Implode|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|
5|
[/table]

Skill points at 1st: (2 + INT Modifier) x 4
Skill points at Each additional level: 2 + INT Modifier

Skills: Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (Religion), Profession, Spellcraft.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Masters of Pain are proficient with all Simple Weapons, Light and Medium armor and shields (except tower shields)

Spells: Masters cast Divine spells, they must choose and prepare them in advance. To prepare a spell a Master must have a Wisdom score of 10 + spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Masters spell is 10 + spell level + Masters Charisma Modifier. Masters can only cast a certain number of spells per day according to their daily allotment, in addition they recieve bonus spells with a high Wisdom score. A Master does not study for spells he prayers for them just like a cleric, Time resting has no affect on whether a Master can prepare spells. A Master must have a specific time to pray for his spells this is usualy a time of significance to his god.

Painful Touch (Ex): Whenever a Master Casts a spell that deals Hit point damage, she adds her Charisma modifier to the amount dealt.
This bonus only applies to spells of the Necromancy subschool he may have by virture of this class. The Bonus is also added when Healing undead with the negative energy.

Bestow Paralysis: At 3rd level once per day you can use Hold Person as a spell like ability.

Bestow Disease: At 4th Level once per day you can use Contagion as a spell like ability.

Bestow Fear: At 5th level once per day you can use Cause Fear as a spell like ability.

Bestow curse: At 6th level once per day can cast Bestow curse as a spell like ability.

Effortless Infliction: At 7th level a Master has learned to cast spells of the Necromancy subschool with minimal effort. He may cast such spells without provoking attacks of opportunity. This only affects spells of the Necromancy subschool he may have by virtue of this class.

Bestow Blindness: At 9th Level once per day you can cast Blindness/deafness as a spell like ability.

Bestow Poison: At 10th Level once per day you can cast Poison as a spell like ability.

Turn to Stone: At 13th Level once per day you can cast Flesh to stone as a spell like ability.

Destroy: At 15th Level once per day you can cast Destruction as a spell like ability.

Implode: Once per week a 20th level Master of Pain can destroy at whim he gains the ability to cast Implosion as a spell like ability.

Mast of Pain spell List
0 Level - Virtue, Detect Magic, Light, Inflict minor Wounds, Guidance.
1st Level - Bane, Cause Fear, Command, Detect Evil/Chaos/Good/Law, Doom, Inflict minor wounds
2nd Level - Death Knell, Enthrall, Hold Person, Inflict Moderate wounds, Shatter, Sound burst
3rd Level - Bestow Curse, Blindness/Deafness, Contagion, Dispel Magic, Inflict Serious wounds, Invisibility purge
4th Level - Death Ward, Discern Lies, Freedom of Movement, Inflict Critical wounds, Poison
5th Level - Greater Command, Mass Inflict Light wounds, Slay living, symbol of pain
6th Level - Forbiddance, Harm, Mass Inlfict Moderate wounds, Symbol of Fear
7th Level - Destruction, Dictum/Holy Word/Word of Chaos/Blasphemy, Mass Inflict Serious wounds, Symbol of weakness
8th Level - Mass inflict Critical wounds, Symbol of Death, Symbol of Insanity
9th Level - Energy Drain, Mass Harm*, Implosion

This is Version 2 as you can see its VERY different.
DoomSayer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95912)

Reaper_Monkey
2008-11-06, 05:46 AM
Okay, first off, may I point out that the class name "Master of Pain" is already in use, its a fighter prestige class (I know this because I recently wished to make it non-evil so I could beat people up with it), so you might want to rethink that name.

Next, you might want to put that spell per day into another table, its squishing the current one too much which makes it unreadable.

Thirdly, having "anti"-classes tends not to give a perfectly rounded flavour, or even balance in some cases. It's fine to think "I want the opposite of this" but don't try to match that mechanically it hardly ever works as well as it would have if you start from scratch. That being said this class could work...

... as a tag along. To be fair, I cant see how this class will work as a team player. The setup looks very similar to that of an evil cleric self buffing and running into battle because of the shear weight of the designers oversight of how useful that is. But it offers poor skills (very very poor), 3/4 BAB and only Medium armour, and lots of things that require you to be up close, and no healing combined with a poor hit die... it reminds me a lot of how the monk works... or should I say, doesn't. This class is a liability in a group really, it requires constant heals, does little damage on the front lines, and has nothing unique that defines it from a maliciously played cleric. It cant offer useful skill checks, nor are its spells overly diverse, and most of its abilities are one shot a day spells that often wouldn't turn the tide of a battle.

What you need to do is rethink the class a little and built it from scratch, think about weaving negative energy not as the opposite of a positive healer, but as an energy source in its own right. Maybe auras of weakness, the ability to heal from negative energy, have undead ignore you, maybe imbue curses by hitting people? or corrupt heals around you, hell, buff heals to allies and steal/reduce heals on enemies. Think about making a new box basically, and not turning the one you have to hand upside down and calling it new.

Oh, and add the flavour of MTG's Plague Witch - "I can ail what cures you" somewhere into the build, because it was the first thing that jumped to my mind when I read your motives in this.

Hope this helps somewhat =)

BelGareth
2008-11-06, 11:12 AM
Thanks so much for critiquing,
I see all your points and love where you are going with it, I will work on a 2nd version and by working from scratch, maybe i will incorporate some basic abilitys from the hexblade.
I like the idea of making a spellcaster class with negative energy, much like the shadowmage.
And I will try to change the name!:smallredface: