PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul OR Pal OR Clr: MAD heroic builds? [3.5, level 6+]

Bulwer
2008-11-05, 11:58 PM
I'm making a divine good-guy type to try to bring some focus to a large group of largely neutral and evil folks in the World's Largest Dungeon setting. My first two characters died, and the group is fragmented. I want to make a native of the Dungeon who wants to help these outsiders.

I was originally thinking an underfolk paladin riding a giant spider (modifying the Code to allow associating with evil). My current favorite is a Favored Soul, either as an archer or a self-buffing melee artist. Also in the running is a cleric or ranger or something like that. The religion and race have to make sense for the setting, though: Sun gods and wood elves are right out.

Here's the fun bit: My stats are 18/18/18/16/16/10.

I'm coming in at level 6, so ideally any build would be playable and good from then on, and failing that, from level 7. Any thoughts on a big damn hero type that could serve in the capacity I'm looking for?

EDIT: Any WotC books from 3.5 are good, 3.0 w/ specific approval. Flaws and Traits are go.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-06, 12:09 AM
What power level, and what's your group going to have?

FMArthur
2008-11-06, 12:16 AM
Here's the fun bit: My stats are 18/18/18/16/16/10.

The result of 10d6 drop lowest 7?

The Crusader (ToB) seems to fit your idea the best; he'll be able to take a lot of punishment, be strong, and look powerful (because he is). He can self-buff, do a bit of healing, wear heavy armor, and generally be a Paladin who's better at fighting (and a lot of fun to play!). You can also be of any alignment.

Bulwer
2008-11-06, 12:29 AM
The group keeps dying, so it's iffy at any given point who's what, but we usually have a healer or two around, and at least one person does some decent minmaxing. I'd say no serious munchkining with a stack of PrCs, but don't be shy.

The Crusader (ToB) seems to fit your idea the best; he'll be able to take a lot of punishment, be strong, and look powerful (because he is). He can self-buff, do a bit of healing, wear heavy armor, and generally be a Paladin who's better at fighting (and a lot of fun to play!). You can also be of any alignment.

Looks novel, but adds a few new elements that I'm not sure I like. The new combat style is kinda iffy, and the fluff seems a little too narrow to me. If I go that direction, I like the Paladin a bit more.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the stats. One of those was a 17 before, and I'm using my first ability point to knock it up higher. Still quite high, but others in the group have a pile of nice items, so it balances well.

Ponce
2008-11-06, 12:35 AM
The crusader is much more open to interpretation. The paladin is the one with the narrow and unyielding taste. It is a better class overall. The first ~4 levels of paladin might be worth it though, if you decide to multiclass.

Paladin4/Crusader16 is a simple but rather strong build, if you aren't looking for anything fancy.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-06, 12:38 AM
First, the fluff is /narrower/ than the Paladin? It's the Paladin with more freedom. Also, there are a few options. In order of power:
Paladin with a Spider Mount
Ranger with a Spider AC
Favored Soul with Leadership for a Spider mount
Crusader with Leadership for a Spider mount
Cleric with Planar Binding/Ally for a Fiendish Spider mount
Druid with a Spider AC
Cleric with Divine Metamagic who could have the Tarrasque for a mount if he tried

Also, leave the stat a 17, no matter what. Put it in Con and get a Gal-Ralan(FF). Toss the boost into your primary attribute and buy a +3 or +1 item instead of a +2.

Bulwer
2008-11-06, 12:50 AM
First, the fluff is /narrower/ than the Paladin? It's the Paladin with more freedom. Also, there are a few options. In order of power:
Paladin with a Spider Mount
Ranger with a Spider AC
Favored Soul with Leadership for a Spider mount
Crusader with Leadership for a Spider mount
Cleric with Planar Binding/Ally for a Fiendish Spider mount
Druid with a Spider AC
Cleric with Divine Metamagic who could have the Tarrasque for a mount if he tried

Also, leave the stat a 17, no matter what. Put it in Con and get a Gal-Ralan(FF). Toss the boost into your primary attribute and buy a +3 or +1 item instead of a +2.

Re fluff narrowness: I refer to the goal of the Crusader, which is one cause, versus a Pal, which is more to impose their ideals.

The spider bit is really just if I wind up with a Pally, I'm not attached to it.

As for the stats, I'm not sure about that. A 19 is great (and so's a 20 pretty soon) but we're not in a setting with any shops, we're dependent on drop tables. I'll toss it into the primary if I go with the FS, for spells per day.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-06, 12:55 AM
Does your DM not let you start with WBL? The Crusader has fluff that's identical to the Paladins but looser(if your cause is a deity, then it is identical to the Pally without a written code). And can you give us more on the concept? It's a bit gray right now, at least for me.

Bulwer
2008-11-06, 01:05 AM
Does your DM not let you start with WBL? The Crusader has fluff that's identical to the Paladins but looser(if your cause is a deity, then it is identical to the Pally without a written code). And can you give us more on the concept? It's a bit gray right now, at least for me.

No, we get WBL, but there was a bit of a loot explosion involving a Deck of Many Things, so those that have been there for a while have more. Whenever a PC dies, their sheet gets passed around for looting purposes, often to the exclusion of killing whatever killed them.

The concept is a native of this dungeon (the World's Largest) that feels obligated to help out this ragtag group of morally suspect adventurers. I was thinking Underfolk or similar, someone familiar with the area but cut off from their civilization and with no overriding quest.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-06, 01:21 AM
Then I'd say drop most of the divine classes. I know WLD, but when starting you get WBL, so you should be able to afford a Gal-Ralan and a couple of good custom items(and you'll probably die before replacing them becomes an issue). Ranger is probably a good fit, or Druid. Scout/Ranger is always a nice build, and the low level means iteratives aren't an issue. Rogue seems to work, too, or Barbarian.

Bulwer
2008-11-06, 01:32 AM
Then I'd say drop most of the divine classes. I know WLD, but when starting you get WBL, so you should be able to afford a Gal-Ralan and a couple of good custom items(and you'll probably die before replacing them becomes an issue). Ranger is probably a good fit, or Druid. Scout/Ranger is always a nice build, and the low level means iteratives aren't an issue. Rogue seems to work, too, or Barbarian.

Ranger is a possibility. Where's Gal-Ralan from?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-06, 01:48 AM
Fiend Folio. -1 Con, gives Resistance Bonus to saves, takes the arm slot, under the Shadar-kai entry.

ashmanonar
2008-11-06, 01:53 PM
Maybe this is just me, but why can't you refluff the Crusader to what you want? As the Crusader isn't restricted by code, you could just say that his unique maneuver recovery system was trained into him by his mentor, or that if he's chaotic, it's his chaotic nature. The Crusader doesn't have to involve a quest or code, as it's just a class, a metagame concept. You don't even have to call yourself a Crusader.

Hal
2008-11-06, 10:09 PM
With stats like those, why not play a Paladin? It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Seems like a good time to use the Underdark Knight ACF from Complete Champion, too.

monty
2008-11-06, 11:05 PM
With stats like those, why not play a Paladin? It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Seems like a good time to use the Underdark Knight ACF from Complete Champion, too.

Well, it depends on if he wants it to be powerful. A Crusader with lots of good stats is still better than a Paladin with lots of good stats.