PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War 2

late for dinner
2008-11-06, 11:24 AM
I have yet to see a Gears of war 2 thread...but after really thinking about it, I dont know how mutch there is to write on this topic. I decided to make one anyways. I think it will be a lot of fun (the game that is)(and if this thread takes off, the thread too)

warty goblin
2008-11-06, 11:55 AM
Damn I wish they were making a PC version of this. I loved the first one on PC. Best WH40K shooter ever made, despite not actually, you know, being a WH40K shooter. But hey, it has large burly men using chainsaws to rend enemies limb from limb, and I'm just fine with that.

Ranis
2008-11-06, 08:10 PM
I'm more excited than a 16-year old schoolgirl at an NSYNC concert about this game. EPIC knows how to make sequels without rewriting the entire game, and Gears 2 so far shows to be no different. I'm SO excited. Flamethrowers, meat flag, new weapons, SEVEN chapters.

*fangirl squeal*

warty goblin
2008-11-06, 08:39 PM
I'm more excited than a 16-year old schoolgirl at an NSYNC concert about this game. EPIC knows how to make sequels without rewriting the entire game, and Gears 2 so far shows to be no different. I'm SO excited. Flamethrowers, meat flag, new weapons, SEVEN chapters.

*fangirl squeal*

Nice to know I'm not the only one who finds chainsawing alien scum in half to be an unseemly amount of fun. Seriously, I tend to play GoW on Easy just so I get to use the bayonet at every possible opportunity, and generally structure my arsenal not around damage but around what guns are most likely to remove major body parts. Usually this goes something like:

1) Lancer. Because the only thing better than shooting a horde of wretches is chainsawing a horde of wretches.

2) Usually Longshot, because exploding heads is fun. The shotgun is also permissable, as is the torque bow.

3) That big ass revolver. Because if your handgun doesn't cause a body to disintegrate after one or two shots, it obviously needs bigger bullets.

Although for some reason I almost never use grenades...

Hermit
2008-11-07, 02:52 AM
Thanks to Play my copy turned up yesterday, and I must say its excellent thus far.

Especially like the new Locust weapons. They're actually now different enough to the COG ones that you'd actually consider using them. The Hammerburst and the Gorgon Pistol are especially nice.

late for dinner
2008-11-07, 10:36 AM
I got my copy this morning at midnight...my roommate and I played Horde mode on the hardest setting. Cant make it past wave 5. I absolutly love this game though. cant wait to play against real people either. I love the huge machine gun that turns into a turret.

Return of Lanky
2008-11-07, 10:50 AM
I can't wait to pick this game up. The most exciting thing for me is the ability to select independent difficulty settings when playing co-op. A lot of my friends like playing games with me, but I'm the resident game collector. You know the guy who has all the games, so everyone goes over to his place to hang out? And you know how he's always the bastard winning every match, or doing all the work in co-op? Yeah, I'm him. When we play GoW1, I'm either using the crappiest weapons I can find to keep myself from being bored (using a Shotgun and Lancer in ranged battles, Longshot or a magnum pistol right up close, etc) or the only guy not dying every four seconds (if we play at the difficulty I want to play at).

It's going to be awesome to be able to challenge myself while my friends can counterfeit competency at the game by playing on Casual while I play on Hardcore (or Insane, after the first playthrough).

TFT
2008-11-08, 05:44 PM
*Hopes to pick up the game soon*

So, anyone want to share a review?

SuperMuldoon
2008-11-10, 04:06 PM
I got the game on friday, and beat it over the weekend on hardcore difficulty. Basically, the game is awesome. It's everything I loved about Gears 1 plus more. Horde mode is fantastic, and the wingman multiplayer mode is a blast too. Cole remains the best character in video games. Some people have complained about the writing (check out penny-arcade) but I don't really see what they are getting at, its funny and fits the game well. I mean, what do you expect from a group of ultimate badasses?

Overall, 10/10 :smallbiggrin:

Crispy Dave
2008-11-10, 04:17 PM
well I was able to play a little bit with with my friend and I do plan on buying the game. So far I think its awesome in multiplayer weapons seem more balanced horde mode is fun. Campaign mode I haven't tried yet but It looks good.

warty goblin
2008-11-10, 05:05 PM
I got the game on friday, and beat it over the weekend on hardcore difficulty. Basically, the game is awesome. It's everything I loved about Gears 1 plus more. Horde mode is fantastic, and the wingman multiplayer mode is a blast too. Cole remains the best character in video games. Some people have complained about the writing (check out penny-arcade) but I don't really see what they are getting at, its funny and fits the game well. I mean, what do you expect from a group of ultimate badasses?

Overall, 10/10 :smallbiggrin:

"Oh Locust, Locust, wherefore art thou curbstomped? A fatality by any other weapon would spray as much blood maybe?

Also I realized something the other day. I tend to sing when playing Gears of War I. Amazing Grace mostly, or at least a version of it.
Amazing chainsaw, how sharp thy blade,
That gibbed a wretch like thee
You once were moving, but now are dead
Twere whole, but now are severed.

Twas my chainsaw that spattered you
all over the camera lens
And chainsaw my life did save
when that theron guard tried
to torquebow me

You once had blood
But now do not
Because my chainsaw
sprayed thy blood all over me

Ten times I'd died just beforethe checkpoint,
because that wretch would kill me
but now I chainsawed the wretch
and so made the checkpoint

Amazing chainsaw, how sharp thy blade,
That gibbed a wretch like thee
You once were moving, but now are dead
Twere whole, but now are severed.

So, does that make me disturbed? :smalleek:

Myatar_Panwar
2008-11-10, 07:14 PM
So, does that make me disturbed? :smalleek:

Just very odd. Very odd indeed.

And you guys need to talk more about how awesome Gears is, so that I might live through you until my copy decides to finally show up. On a related note, anyone know if the mail system still operates on Veterans day?

A Rainy Knight
2008-11-10, 07:22 PM
All right, I just beat the Campaign on casual a few days ago. There's one main question I have for anyone else who has beaten it:

Act III. The Sires. Niles Samson. What was going on there? I didn't really see the connection between his taking "the subjects" to Mount Kadar and Marcus and company going there. I got that collectible mentioning Ruth's reduced hair growth and increased fingernail growth, swelling of joints, crying out in pain stuff. So I thought: Hmm. Locust. No hair, big grotesque claw-like nails on their fingers, scream a lot. Any connection? And I've got nothing on that "bridge to our genetic future" and "when we are fully cleansed, and the truth comes forth, will we listen?" stuff. Is Niles just some crazy doctor making a bunch of beasties, or is he making some sort of Locust, or what?

Dumbledore lives
2008-11-10, 07:33 PM
I've got to say at least the last part of the campaign is epic, but I only played the last few chapters and a bit of hoard. I think the vehicle segments in this one where about a million times better done then that damn UV tank thing in the last game. Especially when you ride the Brumak Though I did feel a bit disappointed by the ending as it all seemed so sudden and the final boss was kind of meh for me. Great game though, and extremely intense throughout almost the entire thing, and it appears to be a lot harder than Gears 1, though that's just my interpretation. The crawling mechanic is really cool too, and makes it possible to actually do stuff instead of sitting there and hoping you get revived.

Hermit
2008-11-11, 03:02 AM
All right, I just beat the Campaign on casual a few days ago. There's one main question I have for anyone else who has beaten it:

Act III. The Sires. Niles Samson. What was going on there? I didn't really see the connection between his taking "the subjects" to Mount Kadar and Marcus and company going there. I got that collectible mentioning Ruth's reduced hair growth and increased fingernail growth, swelling of joints, crying out in pain stuff. So I thought: Hmm. Locust. No hair, big grotesque claw-like nails on their fingers, scream a lot. Any connection? And I've got nothing on that "bridge to our genetic future" and "when we are fully cleansed, and the truth comes forth, will we listen?" stuff. Is Niles just some crazy doctor making a bunch of beasties, or is he making some sort of Locust, or what?

Niles also says something like "Did they know what was waiting for them inside Mount Kadar? Did they deserve their fate?" or something much like it. I certainly got the impression that the facility was a Pre-EDay project, since Niles mentions a Chairman Monroe, while the current bloke is a Chairman Prescott. My guess would be that this was some sort of project to cross humans with wretches, perhaps to make some sort of supersoldier for use in the Pendulum Wars. It's possible they took a few of the main specimins to Mount Kadar to test them and ended up disturbing the Locust and causing E-Day, though that's by no means the only possible theory. I get the feeling the eventually inevitable Gears 3 will involve them greatly, and I'd guess Adam Fenix was involved somehow with New Hope and the Sires as well.

Thrawn183
2008-11-25, 12:52 AM
So I've made it to act 4, and I have to say that this game is epic! If anyone's seen the ctrl+alt+del comic about the train gun, the entire game is like that!

I understand how rediculous it can be sometimes, but really it fits with the setting pretty well, when you concider the first game. Of course, it doesn't hurt that a lot of my friends play RE 4.

Crispy Dave
2008-11-25, 02:51 PM

ya I think the locust are human as well. I kindov figured that one out with the sires level.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-11-25, 07:29 PM
I LOVED THE GAME, The mulcher is now one of favorite weapons, If only it had a chainsaw :3

I also made a Youtube Video about it, in 90 seconds!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imq3SdDISZw
Its kinda good, I guess. Check it out If you feel like it.

Innis Cabal
2008-11-25, 07:32 PM
ya I think the locust are human as well. I kindov figured that one out with the sires level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust_Horde

Not really. They are native. There might be hybrids though. As seen by

The Queen

Kane
2008-11-25, 08:53 PM
Eh. I liked gears, and got to go down to my local teen center (ish) place and play it. I spent six hours, got about halfway through, had to leave, and when I came back on Monday, they no longer had their copy of Gears2. Someone *sob* stole it! Now I can't finish it, and I'm pissed!

The last thing I remember is Dom finding his wife. And, you know,kills her. About how far through the game is that?

Crispy Dave
2008-11-25, 09:59 PM
Eh. I liked gears, and got to go down to my local teen center (ish) place and play it. I spent six hours, got about halfway through, had to leave, and when I came back on Monday, they no longer had their copy of Gears2. Someone *sob* stole it! Now I can't finish it, and I'm pissed!

The last thing I remember is Dom finding his wife. And, you know,kills her. About how far through the game is that?

theres not too much left after that id say your about 80% done

late for dinner
2008-11-26, 09:58 AM

bummer man, you are just getting to where it gets really interesting...stupid thieves

Bergett
2008-11-28, 11:15 PM
hee hee chainsaws.... hee hee blood... hee hee hardcore mode... hee hee n00bs who think they can play horde mode.... ahh good times good times....
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080225 tee hee traingun...

Mc. Lovin'
2008-12-07, 11:25 AM
Just completed it, *man* that game is kick ass.

Although The deaths of Carmine and Dom's wife were obvious, which annoyed me because I loved Carmine B

Indurain
2008-12-24, 02:09 AM
Just completed it, *man* that game is kick ass.

Although The deaths of Carmine and Dom's wife were obvious, which annoyed me because I loved Carmine B

Don't worry C. Carmine will be back in GoW 3...and he'll make it to act 3...and then D. Carmine will make it to act 4 in GoW 4...and then finally with GoW 5...E. Carmine will live to tell the tale!

Bergett
2008-12-24, 02:55 AM
pretty sure it's just a trilogy... maybe there will be an army of carmines fighting the Locust! No there will not be >.>

toddex
2008-12-29, 06:12 AM
Mariaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bergett
2008-12-29, 02:13 PM
Man that part was sad...