PDA

View Full Version : Changelings and Able learner.

Asheram
2008-11-06, 01:25 PM
A little question I've got here... I think it's easiest to put it up like this.
Doppleganger = Able learner
Human = Able learner
Changeling = Human + Doppleganger.
Changeling = Able learner?

Now. I can't find any place it's written, and changelings doesn't count as humans nor dopplegangers...
Of course, in homebrew I'd allow it instantly, but I'd be very happy if anyone knew if there were some wotc announcement or anything like that making it set as according to official rules.

FMArthur
2008-11-06, 02:55 PM
Well, Able Learner is a prerequisite for the Chameleon prestige class, right? And the Chameleon prestige class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1) says this at the bottom:

If you're using the Eberron Campaign Setting, the chameleon prestige class should be available to changeling player characters as well as humans and doppelgangers.

So one could use this to reasonably assume that changelings can get Able Learner.

Lappy9000
2008-11-06, 03:19 PM
In Eberron, at least, a changeling doesn't really qualify as a "half-doppelganger." They're more their own race, but it's obviously your call if you want to use this in your game (it makes logical sense, but I'd be wary about giving this to changelings, they're already excellent rogues as it is).

boomwolf
2008-11-06, 08:41 PM
The problem is that most things in books other then core books are acting like nothing besides it and the core exists. they sometimes even disregard obvious things from the same book.

I mean, a partially-dragon creature SHOULD be able to take the dragon "awaken" feats-right? its the creatures they make most sense for from the firstplace.
The caster/mage from PhP2 (forgot name) has a seriously lacking spell list, including the most combat-oriented spells found in that book.
Many other such examples are out there. (behold the 43125 variations of sneak attack. the endless flow of alternate wizard classes DESPITE the fact you can specialize and each specialization has 3 variations. 52 weapons with the same stats, and a red wizard will never teach anyone that is not a human born in thay.)

So-the best way for a DM to work is: "Forget racial/location/etc requirements, If it makes sense-I'll let it be."
By that logic-changelings can take able learner. a bugbear from icewind dale can be a red wizard-if some red wizard tough him for some obscure reason. and your paladins still falls if he smashed baby kobolds with his boot.

Asheram
2008-11-08, 03:44 PM
Well, Able Learner is a prerequisite for the Chameleon prestige class, right? And the Chameleon prestige class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1) says this at the bottom:

So one could use this to reasonably assume that changelings can get Able Learner.

FMArthur, first of all, I love you for finding this. :smallbiggrin:
Now... I guess the trouble now is that I just got this brainfart... I was thinking of a warlock/chameleon... But I have NO idea of why I wanted him to be a changeling when he can be human...

Magnor Criol
2008-11-08, 04:11 PM
The problem is that most things in books other then core books are acting like nothing besides it and the core exists. they sometimes even disregard obvious things from the same book.

While I agree that this tends to be quite frustrating, there's a solid reason for this - since the books cost money to buy, they can't assume everyone has the books. For every portion of a book you buy that's based on another book that you don't have, that's a little bit of the cost of that book they just ripped you off for, in a way. I mean, if I paid $30 for a DnD book and then discovered that until I pay another $30 for another book, the book I just bought is a decorated paperweight, I'd be pretty ticked off.

That being said, I wish it wasn't so. Make some standalone, sure, but make others specifically declared to be useless unless you had certain other books, so they could build off of them more and no one is unwittingly cheated.

Alternately / as well, release more books like the Compendium series (Magic Item, Spell, Rules) that are basically lists incorporating things from all the previous splatbooks. Have the mechanics but not much of the fluff, and give the source, so someone interested could go look it up in its original context if they wanted to. That way, you tie everything together again.

But, eh, that's just my two cents. There's probably a reason I'm not a big-shot marketing head for a game company....