PDA

View Full Version : Gestalting some classic monster types

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-06, 03:57 PM
I've been thinking about some logical gesalt combinations to spice up some monsters in a high-magic campiagn I'm running.

I've been using druid for Fey (and certain other creatures closely linked to nature, like centaurs)

I was thinking warlock would be cool for elementals.

Sorceror is pretty obvious for dragons.

any other ideas?

Maybe Crusader for giants?

Human Paragon 3
2008-11-06, 04:01 PM
My DM once gestalted a Nymph with a Sucubus (no class levels). It was a very effective and cool monster, and we had no idea what it was until it was (almost) too late.

mangosta71
2008-11-06, 04:09 PM
Illithid + Psion (telepath) is a natural fit.

A lot of monsters that can be played as characters have a favored class. You could gestalt the monster levels with that class and have something that's both appropriate and packs a little more punch (minotaur barbarian comes to mind).

Telonius
2008-11-06, 04:15 PM
... have I totally missed something, or is there no D&D-statted Leprechaun?

Anyway, Bard for Leprechaun.

arguskos
2008-11-06, 04:17 PM
BAH! Minotaurs are actually sorcerer/psions in disguise! EVERYONE knows that. :smallwink:

Anyways, I do think this is a great idea. There are lots of monsters that would benefit from a few levels in a fun class. Golems+Fighter/Barbarian levels, Skeletons/Zombies+anything at all, any monstrous humanoid+something appropriate, etc...

Personal suggestion: take the Avatars of Elemental Evil from the MMIV and give them all class levels. The Black Rock Triskelion should get some Barbarian levels, the Cyclone Ravager needs Ranger or Scout, the Holocaust Disciple is crying for some Sorcerer or Psion levels, and the Waterveiled Assassin wants to be a Rogue/Assassin (hurrhurrhurr). Just my 2cp (also, these guys need more love).