PDA

View Full Version : So how was your first character?

Akisa
2008-11-06, 04:50 PM
I just watched dorkness rising not too long ago and the LG fighter reminded me of my first character. I told everyone I was new and wanted to play a holy warrior. So I spend hours on the phb trying to learn the rules. During my research phase I decided to the local gaming store after looking for one online. I graned complete divine thinking it would help my paladin and the campaign setting book (FR).

So I started to look through the book and noticed many of the feats paladin could use. I then start to compare the two classes and decided cleric following tempus. The other players were upset that I picked a healing class when they said they needed a tank. With divine power and divine favor active 24 hours I was rocking.

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-11-06, 04:53 PM
The first character that I actually played was an egotistical Goblin Rogue/Ranger gestalt who actually proved to be quite timid in the face of danger.

bigity
2008-11-06, 04:53 PM
Dead within 2 sessions. Farewell 1st level elf. I hardly knew ye.

Getting to 9th level (the highest ever from 1st) was quite an achievement, but I have this suspicion we ran more lethal games than most.

AmberVael
2008-11-06, 04:55 PM
A half orc barbarian who I rolled three 18s for.
His name was Crunch. He was pretty badass.

WychWeird
2008-11-06, 04:56 PM
I don't recall my first character, but it's likely to have been a fighter in a D&D Basic game :smalleek: And he would have died in the tunnels in The Keep On The Borderlands!

Dentarthur
2008-11-06, 04:59 PM
Mine was a 3.5 illusion-happy human sorcerer. Made real good use of his tricks, too -- I think I've already told the story about how he ordered a bunch of dreadguards to destroy each other. He eventually focused more on firepower spells out of sheer necessity. He was impulsive, brash, and arrogant, taunted the badguys during battle, made light of everything, and was hella fun to play. Somehow he survived a whole campaign and made it to 20th level before retiring.

John Campbell
2008-11-06, 05:03 PM
The first character I ever played was a Fighter (the "human" part was simply understood). I rolled an 18 Strength, with the "3d6, six times, in order" method. And then we went and cleared the dungeons near, yes, the Keep on the Borderlands.

We later upgraded to AD&D, converted our characters, and I rolled percentile for my (by then about 10th level) fighter's exceptional strength. And got 00s.

Drascin
2008-11-06, 05:07 PM
Dwarven Druid. The DM didn't have the faintest idea of how to measure an appropiate challenge, so on the third session we ended up fighting a Naga that overpowered us by a lot - my cousin's characters were doing pretty bad, and I was most likely next in line. So my character decided to take it for the team: grappled its tail... and jumped off the nearby cliff while screaming "**** youuuuuu...", while taking it behind him. Not exactly the world's most awesome heroic sacrifice, but technically heroic nonetheless.

Seatbelt
2008-11-06, 05:13 PM
Human Druid. We were playing The Hobbit, but we were all really green. We got to the end of the campaign at about 7th level and tried to take on Smog. Smog was a Gargantuan Elder Red Dragon. The encounter went like this: Breath weapon - party gets rocked. Orc Fighter throws a plate at smog, and runs like hell. And escapes. the only one of our party not caught in the flaming blast, and the only one to survive.

The DM was new too..

Our next game was way more fun. Unstead of being way underpowered, we were way overpowered. Two-headed dwarves, dual wielding epic dwarven waraxes, while riding on a magic carpet.. oh god it was awesome. That wasn't even my character.

arguskos
2008-11-06, 05:17 PM
First Character: Elvan, the Cleric, in AD&D 2nd Edition, who's name I don't even recall now. He ended up dying horribly around three times (first time, he fell off a cliff, and was later bound to another player's character, who's character we shared. The second time that "character" died, he was ripped into little chunks by TWO dragons. He was later resurrected, and promptly died when the DM had to stop DMing and we all lost interest. Read: rocks fall, everyone dies.)

First REAL Character: Hextoler Alier Abakaar, elven Archmage. I took him from level 1-20 in core-only 3.5 D&D. He eventually retired when the players reached level 20 and defeated the enemy. A youthful version of him is the guy in my avatar.

Lapak
2008-11-06, 05:17 PM
My first character was a Basic D&D Fighter. Everyone else used pregenerated characters that came with whatever module we were playing, but I insisted on rolling my own and ended up with decidedly substandard stats as a result.

Then I tried to be clever and parry a statue that automatically swung its sword at anyone who came to close, hoping to jam it or break it or something. Instead, it just killed me.

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-06, 05:20 PM
My first character was an elven orphan, who wanted to be a knight someday.

I was really young at the time, my Mom was my first DM.

Unless you count HeroQuest, because my parents started me out on that before graduating up to D&D. In which case my first character was Barbarian.

Albonor
2008-11-06, 05:26 PM
First DnD character was a Redbox fighter named Melonial. I had actually rolled a 18 on str!

I was 10 and my dad was Dming. I've had few characters since then since I tend to Dm.

cezyou
2008-11-06, 05:35 PM
My first character was Ruk-ruk, the 1st level half-orc cliche barbarian who roared at everything.

Eorran
2008-11-06, 05:44 PM
My first character... would have been an Elf from the D&D Black Box set. I can't remember him at all, though we kept the module (Zanzer's Dungeon) and used it for pretty much every group thereafter, no matter what edition or what starting level. (Yay taking dragon PCs into a 1st level dungeon!)

The first character I can remember is a 2ed Elf Fighter/Mage. Beleg Cuthalion. He was totally ripped off Tolkien, right down to the name.:smallredface:
Come to think of it, for the first 6 or so years of playing D&D, all our group's characters were ripped off Tolkien. We like Tolkien. :smallwink:

kladams707
2008-11-06, 05:46 PM
My character tried to backstab an keeper, unsuccessfully I might add, went back to his room, awoke to the innkeeper setting fire to the door, my character smashed the door, which in turn smashed the inkeeper.

Good times. Of course, that's the only thing I remember about my first character.

Flickerdart
2008-11-06, 05:50 PM
10th level Elven Wizard with pitiful spell choices. My only SoD/S/L was Dominate Person, and it never worked on anyone. The DM had a poor grasp on WBL, so he didn't have any money either, and just ended up going around casting Wall of Ice. Damn, that spell had a lot of utility.

TengYt
2008-11-06, 05:50 PM
Generic first level human Fighter! I think I called him something ridiculous like Blade Strongman.

Totally Guy
2008-11-06, 05:52 PM
My first character was Rungler the Rogue. Lawful neutral.

He had a backstory and everything.

Rungler worked for an evil wizard, doing his bidding, robbing and killing his enemies and most importantly, maintaining his evil castle.

This regime went on for years but eventually the wizard, who was already old, died of old age. Rungler continued to maintain the castle after his master's death.

Until one day a shiny paladin called Hermocrates showed up to kill the wizard. Rungler informed him he was already dead. Hermocrates talked with Rungler and Rungler was convinced to become his squire.

Rungler treated his new master as if he was the wizard often suggesting contempable actions but after some months of the paladin's influence and teachings Rungler ceased to be evil and became lawful neutral.

Pie Guy
2008-11-06, 05:56 PM
A dwarven fighter that my friend, who was teaching me the game, said I roll d20's for stats. I got like three twenties. Also I multicalssed to sorcerer, and thought that I could cast level three spells with my resounding 13 charisma. Proceeded to grapple a choker. That was a fun character.

Winterwind
2008-11-06, 05:56 PM
A Wood Elf in the German The Dark Eye RPG. When I switched from The Dark Eye to a fantasy RPG of my own creation, I carried him over. I play him to this day; due to me being the gamemaster pretty much all of the time, and us playing many other systems as well, often with multiple characters per system, he is not even all that far advanced experience-wise. Still one of my most favourite characters.

In terms of D&D I suppose he would be a chaotic good elven ranger, or something like that.

His byname is Winterwind, by the way. :smallcool:

Maroon
2008-11-06, 06:11 PM
The first real character I played was a neutral evil Bard called Jack. I played him as a very self-centered, excessively pragmatic bastard. I kept all the outright evil stuff off-screen, though. For instance, he claimed to have made the strings of his violin out of someone's small intestine, and was the designated guy to suggest the unethical solutions to our problems. He wasn't very effective mechanically, but he made a Paladin fall (literally and metaphysically), and sprung the party out of prison a few times (after getting them in there in the first place, of course), so he still contributed.

I ended up having a really hard time justifying his evil alignment until right at the end of the adventure, when he made off with the MacGuffin after collapsing the dungeon on the rest of the party.

Coidzor
2008-11-06, 06:27 PM
I was a physically weak, fairly charismatic dwarven cleric of Moraden that got kicked out of dwarfdom so he didn't mess things up where any dwarves would be threatened but was told to go forth and show the strength of the dwarven god to the snickering humans. He was also a quarter human (he himself was unaware of this, but he looked...weird because of it) and ended up getting very funny looks for all of the diplomacy rolls he had to make that he did well on. I don't think I actually killed anything except for a single kobold with an enchanted sling-bullet, but I did act as a fairly brave combat medic, once charging into a darkness spell to drag two of our dropped people out of it despite a demon that was trying to (unsuccessfully) gnaw on my butt the whole time. And despite my lack of dwarven strength I at least knew enough tactics to actually lead the party in battle once the paladin mysteriously vanished...

Eldariel
2008-11-06, 06:47 PM
Elven Male Fighter/Wizard named Tamariel Amakiir. He's still alive and kicking (although expended one half-party's-wealth True Resurrection thus far). Incredibly intelligent, strong and quick with decent Wis and Cha (and lowish durability). He used a mix of ranged and melee combat with magic to buff himself up.

Sort of a Blood Knight-personality, always seeking opponents worth testing himself against, preferring martial opponents and thinking of pure spellcasters as wussies who don't dare to face the steel. Adventures for that very reason - to test himself against worthwhile foes.

Knaight
2008-11-06, 07:41 PM
I think my very first was some generic fighter, in my defense I was six. My first real character, when I was eight, was Tekail, a human who was extremely altruistic, and tried to avoid killing, except for when they really deserved it. Died trying to escape from a castle, after killing the evil leader, but only knocking out all the guards. Turned out the guard captain was also an evil bastard. Took him down with me though, so it was a pretty good end.

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-06, 07:47 PM
1st DnD? A rather clichéd CG shifter barbarian, who liked the (heroicly) violent approach

1st in any system? A nerdy paranormal-obsessed student in CoC. He got torn apart by a certain Mr Corbett

Glyde
2008-11-06, 08:14 PM
absolute first character was a half-elf ranger with a wooden flail and a dagger, second edition.

After that was a dual wielding half-fiend Blade, still second edition. After that was my introduction to 3rd edition with a dwarven cleric, then a dwarven mage, then a warforged fighter.

Jayabalard
2008-11-06, 08:51 PM
hmmm... as I recall, my first D&D character class was Dwarf, alignment lawful, though I'll be durned if I can remember his name.

The first in any system was a Celt with some magic ability in the old TSR Conan RPG.

holywhippet
2008-11-06, 10:27 PM
The first game I ever played (pen and paper style, I'd played plenty of PC games before that) was a 3.0 game. The campaign had already started - the PCs had broken into a tower inhabited by goblins that were led by a barghest. The 2 players who were joining (myself included) would be amongst some rescued prisoners, hence we'd have no equipment at the start.

I thought about this and considered the available classes before deciding I'd try a monk since he wouldn't be bothered by the lack of a equipment. Bad idea, really bad idea. Even though he was level 3 (and after we escaped he got access to a decent amount of equipment) he had the one critical problem that all monks have - armour class. Between his DEX, WIS and +1 from starting equipment he only had an AC of 16 IIRC. This meant he didn't do too well in a standup fight as he kept getting whacked.

Heck, on the very first battle we had the barghest coming in one side of the room and a conga line of goblins coming in the other. The party wizard botched his roll for an acid arrow spell and hit my poor monk. He was down to one hit point when the party cleric finally cast create water to wash off the acid.

Irreverent Fool
2008-11-06, 10:32 PM
2nd Edition
roll 3d6 in order
roll hp at first level
18/98 str
11 dex
12 con
9 int
13 wis
8 cha

CN Human Fighter, 1 hp
18/98 str, 1 hp

Specialized in dual-wielding 1h bastard swords

1 hp

1 hp...
obnoxious
sig

Jorgo Mono
2008-11-06, 10:36 PM
Ah...good times. My first character was a 3.5 half orc barbarian. He was the head of a tribe of mongrelfolk who were harresing the OTHER PC's castle. That's right. My first DM STARTED me off opposing the other characters. Eventually though, we made an agreement to stop fighting and work together to kill the hook horror (was it a hook horror? I can't remember, we used a hook horror miniature. It was something big that LOOKED like a hook horror, does anything else come to mind with you guys?) We killed it by somehow tricking it into falling down into a pit, while about 12 mongrelfolk stood around it chucking acid and alchemist's fire on it. Good times...:smallsmile:

RTGoodman
2008-11-06, 10:37 PM
My first character was Eldagor, a human generalist Wizard who only lasted about a session and a half and whose only major accomplishments were (1) wasting all his spells (including 3+ magic missiles) in the first encounter, and (2) getting a natural 20 on a Climb check to scramble to the top of a tree to avoid some goblins. :smalltongue:

My first character that LASTED was Krugg, a Half-Orc Barbarian, who destroyed a chicken thief with one swing of his greataxe after leaping over a fence, and who later had a pet chicken named, appropriately for a low-Int and low-Cha Half-Orc Barbarian, Chicken. (See also: my avatar.)

Vortling
2008-11-06, 10:41 PM
I had a 3.5 dwarven cleric of Haela Brightaxe with stats rolled down as such:

Str: 13
Dex: 5
Con: 15
Int: 13
Wis: 13
Cha: 11

After racial modifiers. The DM was big on "organic" rolling, ie 4d6 no swapping. The character never made it past level 1 as the game came to a rather screeching halt as the DM lost interest.

Bassikpoet
2008-11-06, 11:15 PM
2nd level Dwarf CW Samurai (yeah, I know)
Name: Oskar
Famous for beating the party Sorceror unconcious for disrespecting him by putting an arcane mark on the samurai's pack.

Khosan
2008-11-06, 11:25 PM
Mine was terrible. Gnome Psion/Ranger.

That said, he did last...Six years and went through at least five different iterations. Died three or four times in total.

monty
2008-11-06, 11:29 PM
I don't remember the exact build, but it was a 3.5 minmaxed sorcerer with multiple prestige classes. I'd been hanging around these forums for several months before I ever actually played a game, so I was already tainted :smalltongue:

Hawriel
2008-11-06, 11:30 PM
AD&D
Quintin a human thief. Now king of the Bloodstone Lands. I made him when I was 16 back in 94. He was converted to 3rd ed at 9th level. I finaly retired the character this month after finishing the campaine that made him King. He has 5 children. I am currently using his eldest daughter as an NPC in a campaine set 20 years after Quintin became King.

Shadowrun
Victor Drake, human ganger from Detroit. He was created in 95 and sorta retired 4 years ago because I didnt know what els to do with him. He had a very long shadowrun carreer untill he joined Lone Star. He then quit and joined Knight Errant. He is a gange/organized crime detective in detoit.

DragonBaneDM
2008-11-07, 12:00 AM
Oh God, I remember my first DND experience.

I was at a community college for an acting class in 7th grade. A guy had a 3.0 PHB. I liked the pretty swords. This random college guy let some dweeby 7th grader borrow it for two weeks. I fell in love. Bought the 3.5 PHB with money I had saved for weeks.

I named myself Janza Thorne, cleric of St. Cuthbert cause I liked his seal. I was Jozan's, the sample cleric, son. I also multiclassed paladin. No clue what we were doing since all we played with was the PHB, and I was DMing and playing at the same time with three other kids who had even less of a clue than I did.

They bought me a MM for my 14th birthday. Happiest day of my life. Really was. But, our ranger moved to Florida, and I gave up for a few years.

Then my junior year started. Got back into it through drama club and started full time DMing. And now 4e makes this wonderful game accessible to everyone who can perform simple addition. I now am President of a 35 person DND club at my highschool.

I grew up on this game, and it's a part of me.

Oh God, I remember my first DND experience.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-07, 12:01 AM
I played a AD&D wizard. I was also something like 10 at the time. The result was I cast one spell and was useless for the rest of the dungeon. I spent most of my time trying to trick other party members out of gold. At least until I died.

Surprisingly fun, but I've never played a straight wizard again.

Hal
2008-11-07, 12:04 AM
My first was an unfortunate, one-dimensional human Paladin named Devon. He only lived to 4th level, though he died as a 2nd level Paladin. See, my DM was a rather sadistic bastard who decided that a succubus would make an interesting NPC. Of course, she also wanted to kill me. Of course.

monty
2008-11-07, 12:08 AM
I now am President of a 35 person DND club at my highschool.

I envy you. My high school only had about ten other people who played.

vartan
2008-11-07, 12:53 AM
My first ever character was an AD&D human cleric of Selune. He had a 16 wis, which iirc meant an xp bonus for high score in the prime requisite or w/e. It was an easy way for me to be added to the party as an associate of the female elven priestess of Selune, but I soon outclassed her due to the bonus spells from my ability score. I was a big fan of silly spells like magic stone and shilleailgh- and I died at the hands of velociraptors.

goram.browncoat
2008-11-07, 03:23 AM
A 3.0 paladin whos name ive totally forgotten (i played him one afternoon about six years ago).
Being my first foray into DnD i wasnt very well aware of what it means to be a paladin. Nor was anybody else because everybody was quite new at it. He started a barfight by groping the serving wench, gogo paladin code of conduct I spose :) He also participated in an arena fight willingly, another solid paladin move.

My first propper character was a two weapon fighter rogue. By propper character I mean i roleplayed as what you'd expect from a rogue, mechanically he was still a shambles :) Front line 2WF melee'er with 14 in con and poor saves except for reflex and fairly poor AC .. good times :) Lots of skills though, about the only thing he could do well :)

sparky22
2008-11-07, 04:31 AM
Respen Tarnruth
CG Half-Elf Wizard 5\Duskblade 1\Dragon Disciple 3

I should probably have taken something simpler than a Wizard for my 1st character but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. He made it through the whole campaign, finishing at level 9. I'd do a few things differently if I was to rebuild him from scratch now though.

Kaiyanwang
2008-11-07, 04:47 AM
OD&D (Italian version) ELF (yeah, there was an ELF class. Kinda Fighter/Wizard.. I don't know if Italian OD&D was exactly what you mean for OD&D).

I was 11 years old. H&S game, not so much BG, but a lot of fun. Basic, Expert, Companion, Master. My only grudge, he didn't see the Immortal box :smallsmile:

Zaggab
2008-11-07, 05:35 AM
My first character was Quizzo, a CN half-elf sorcerer/eldritch knight.
The DM (his first time DM:ing) thought that characters got too week by normal rolling. So we all got a free 18, rolled 4d6 drop lowest for the other stats, and we got to reroll everyting lower than 13.

I think my stats went something like this:
Str 15, con 16, dex 17, int 15 and cha 18.

I had a ridiculous bluff score, and we weren't that good with the rules, so I bluffed my way to everything. More then one time, I got the one of the party rogues to steal something for me, and then I would sell in back to the shopkeeper. At the end (I am tempted to call it a campaign, but there never was an overaching story or anything, just a series of unrelated quests), I owned a castle, was the major of a small town, and had most people we came across convinced I was a demi-god.

Oh, and we thought that metamagic feats were boring, so we lowered most spell level adjustments by 1, and kept it as a standard action. And then we were a little fuzzy about what you could do in a round.

Good times.

Saintjebus
2008-11-09, 01:35 AM
My first character was a 5th level FR wild elf wizard. First session, my DM gives me a ring that does random things to fire spells. First 2 fire spells got about a 50% power boost. Then, I cast searing ray at a vampire 40 ft away. A 60 foot fireball engulfed the 50 sq ft room. When the smoke cleared, all 3 vamps and the entire party looked around- and saw the wizard. Or rather, they saw a small pile of ash, with that ring sitting on top of it. That was the last time I played a wiz capable of casting any evocation at all.

FMArthur
2008-11-09, 01:40 AM
I played an albino Gnome Bard. It was probably among the most amusing campaigns I've played in so far, even though I was horribly unoptimized and thus could only contribute in a minor way to fending off a Hydra, who killed our second best fighter immediately and was fighting alongside our best fighter, who was dominated by a vampire at the time.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-11-09, 01:51 AM
My first ever PC was a Paladin named Laup Steelhart. The character I had in mind was a light-armored, mobile fighter with "the biggest ****ing sword in the book" (sadly the DM would not let me make a greater sword, which was my very first homebrew suggestion ever). I also wanted him to be able to dual-wield two punching daggers as "a backup style." And I made him start at middle-age, despite the fact we were starting at 2nd level, because I thought it was badass.

That character, uh, he wasn't so great in practice.

Dhavaer
2008-11-09, 02:02 AM
An elf rogue, whose name I can't bring to mind right now. In her first combat round she killed an orc with a shortbow from three range increments away. She managed to multiclass into fighter and wizard before the game ended.

Blue Warlock
2008-11-09, 02:37 AM
Mine was a Yuan-ti abomination DMPC (yeah, yeah, I know now that it was a bad decision, so don't pelt me with rocks).

First chance I got to run a PC without being a DM it was a raptoran dread necromancer. Had alot of fun with that one and he has survived and been transferred into a few different campaigns, and may yet find his way into another in a few months. Amazingly he's never died, always been able to fly away or heal himself. Named him Sothoth.

Celeres
2008-11-09, 02:52 AM
well...

1st actual character - elven ninja named Celeres (no way!). i didn't understand anything about the game, so he nearly died. it was a one shot game.

1st campaign character - human bard named Anjaro. understood more of the game, but not much. hoping to prestige into war chanter, so i tried to do combat. he nearly died a lot.

Comet
2008-11-09, 03:23 AM
My first would be back in the days when we still played the first-ish Dungeons & Dragons.
He was a thief. Who had Excalibur. Which shot balls of fire.
So broken but so much fun.

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-09, 03:39 AM
My first character was a multiclassed Elf Rouge Ranger. Didn't get to play hium much, though.

He was a thief. Who had Excalibur. Which shot balls of fire.

So, you played Link?Not that doing so isn't awesome.

Threeshades
2008-11-09, 07:22 AM
My very first RPG character ever was in a Dark Eye game. A Wizard. Those guys have so many different spells from first level on, i never really got through what he can actually do. In battle situations however he would only cast an invisibility spell on himself and try to get away, sometimes turning an enemy or two to stone.

Then my first DnD character was a chaotic Evil fire genasi rogue. Because i wasn't very good with the rules at that time my main role was skill monkeying and i pretty much never got to use my sneak attack in battles, only when he really got to sneak up to something and backstab it. He was murderous and greedy and eventually died when a deck of many things turned him Lawful Good and he decided to repent for his outrageous amount of sins by attacking his long time tiefling barbarian friend who before just lost his soul to that same deck of many things. The party's human bard lost all her equipment and then was caught by a troll in the forest without anything and the gnome wizard was deported to the next prison by the deck. The barbarian decided to attack the guy who gave the cards who just so turned out to be a white dragon and killed him. The wizard eventually started over from that prison with an entirely new group.

Tempest Fennac
2008-11-09, 07:36 AM
Here's the first character I ever made: http://mydndgame.com/?action=character-sheet&character=104 . He was initially a Cleric of Ehlonna, but his diety was changed due to him being entered in an FR game (Wolfram initially had the Sun Domain rather then Travel). I haven't really got to test him yet sadly (the first 2 games I entered him in never got started).

brant167
2008-11-09, 08:50 AM
My first character was Luchifie, the tree hurler, a Alaghi(the dm had some starting stats for the race) Barbarian. He didn’t originally start off with the title however he did earn when he tried to take down a evil tower by throwing small trees at it. Eventually he did eventually create a new opening in the tower and pissed off a evil mage and his very scared children in the process. However he and the tree huger, a druid, always had tension after that.
It was lots of fun and after that session I was hooked. We continued that game for a while. However Luchifie died when we went to a hell like dimension.

mindblank19
2008-11-09, 08:56 AM
Good old-style v3.5 LG dwarf fighter with a waraxe, heavy shield, and scale mail.

Used a few years ago at a friend's birthday party; the adventure was quite long, so Eberk leveled up twice throughout it. Accomplishments: Proving to be actually better at Strength-based tasks than the other fighter whose Strength was 18 (mine was 16); Never speaking during the entire six-PC adventure (in part due to Charisma 7); Surviving a formian warrior's sting and eventually killing said formian warrior.

Never used him again, although I did bring the build back many times under the trademark name "Brickhead", during which time I proposed using them as battering rams. I did get to keep the miniature after the adventure was over, which brings my total of "Hill Dwarf Warriors" to 3. I now favour something with a little more magic; my new v4 character is a half-elf paladin.

random11
2008-11-09, 10:11 AM
It was in the first edition D&D, either a fighter or a magic user.

Damn, I feel old... :smallfrown:

Satyr
2008-11-09, 10:17 AM
Like most German roleplayers, my first character was in a The Dark Eye game. I remember the adventure we played (the legendary Black Tower one in the '93 Starter Box...), but I can't remember the what character I played. At all. Which is probably not bad, since most of my first characters were incredible one-dimensional and dull.

My first 'real' character ('real' meaning indeed having soething like an elaborate background and personality traits) was a Viking mercenary in the same system. That was two or three years later, around '96 or '97, I guess.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-11-09, 11:05 AM
My Forum name is my first character.

Quirinus Obsidian

TN Sorcerer6/Cleric3/Mystic Theurge10 ; "Servitor of Neutrality" (Homebrew template).

He was not the most 'Optimized' character, but he was fun and good for a first time player. Also, 1st character. Did not know about optimization.

Blasting/Healing/Necromancy specialist. (see also Not Optimized)

Prized item was a 'Rod of Undead Mastery' and the dual Greatsword wielding Fire Giant skeleton that I raised after I killed it. Yes. I. By myself.

He still lives, BTW. He and his Fire Giant skeleton are still at the Eye of Occipitus; alive and trying to exert some control on the area. He did eventually get the Smoking Eye. (Need to be familiar with the 'Shackled City' adventure path).

If I were to remake the character, I may would have gone with True Necromancer instead of Mystic Theurge, but he would have a higher chance of losing the Servitor of Neutrality template; as he would not be devoted to Neutrality (he would press towards Evil too often).

Roderick_BR
2008-11-09, 11:36 AM
My first D&D character was a kobold warrior. With followers (special rules for kobolds fpr AD&D I saw in a magazine). That session didn't last more than 2 or three sessions, and by next game I was trying just a human fighter, I think.

My first non-D&D medievel fantasy character was a human thief. Good old times running away from a bunch of death knights, because we stole something from their temples.

My first ever RPG character was a street fighter-like guy, fighting an evil scientist inside a missile headed to earth. Don't ask :smalltongue:

Monstrodoom
2008-11-09, 12:32 PM
My first character - back when I was ten or eleven - was a silvanesti elven ranger in Dragonlance, named Jackal. His name turned into Jikall after a while, when I realized being a good elf named "Jackal" was pretty stupid, and eventually - for uniqueness' sake - I threw in some random punctuation and unusual consonant choice. G'kal. I hadn't even seen Babylon 5 at that point, as it wasn't out yet.

G'kal made a wish exactly once from a genie bottle, wherein he vaguely requested to be the baddest fighter in all the land (IIRC) and ended up an elf with 25 str. This was AD&D.

He was slightly over four feet tall.

And wide, after that wish.

Yukitsu
2008-11-09, 12:51 PM
My first character was Sarah the psychotic elven warlock. She was chaotic evil, with an eerily upbeat view of the world, and was delighted when she got to blow something up with her eldritch powers. I played that one as self controlled chaotic evil, generally sending my malice towards a single organization, and only when she wouldn't be caught. Otherwise, she seemed fairly normal and cheerful.

Retired her when her character goals (of completely decimating the church) didn't match with the party goals, and she became a recurring villain for another campaign group.

Ascension
2008-11-09, 01:00 PM
My first roleplaying experience was a freeform Pokemon game online. My character went by the name Wave and was a scarred badass with a tragic past and an equally scarred Blastoise who had an even more tragic past. He was pretty ridiculously overdone, but the GM liked him enough that she tried to saddle me with her job when she left. It didn't end well. I still have about half of her campaign notes saved on my computer somewhere, though. Never got around to purging them.

Dairun Cates
2008-11-09, 01:14 PM
First ROLE-PLAYING character goes REALLY bloody far-back and includes freeform board RP. Amusingly enough, it was a pokemon RP that did battles and had some people on the side RP out the actual characters everyday lives.

The short version was that he was an intelligent Marril that had been turned human and now ran the Gadgets and Technological Advancements branch for Team Rocket. Yeah. Weird stuff, but I was like 11.

If you want first table-top character. That's a Risus Character who was a sarcastic, cynical, immortal office worker with the power to control cute and fuzzy things to a limited degree trying to LITERALLY escape his job. Oh, and he could shoot missiles out of the air with pure cynicism. Fun times.

IF you want first D&D. That would be Audrick, the Overzealous Cleric of Pelor. Audrick had a 14 int and an 18 wis at level one, but acted like they were much lower on account of being raised in a monastery and having different beliefs about his God (Audrick claimed to have proof that Pelor did not approve of drinking). Audrick was definitely fun. He provided group comic relief, had some severely bad ass moments where his battle cry of screaming PELOOOOOOOOOOR actually seemed cool, and was halfway responsible for the most hilarious flirting scene in any D&D game ever.

Of course, if you want to go REALLY REALLY back, you can count the roleplaying that happens by definition on playgrounds at recess. At the point, I think my first character was Donatello from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... Leo was taken, but I eventually found Don to be cooler anyway.

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-09, 01:21 PM
a Samurai in a weird system.
Later that night, they gave me a dwarf barbarian as a joke about my stature and temperament. Durring play I got bored so I grabbed the leader of a group we were having a little trouble with and ran off a cliff. I rolled a generalist wizard with a focus on necromancy but never got to play her.

Mad Mask
2008-11-09, 01:21 PM
My first character was a stupid paladin that thought everything was permitted; in his first adventure, he kicked his "friends" in the rectum. He was a jerk and endangered his party's safety for idiotic reasons.

Once, the team was in a boarded house surrounded by zombies (not very original, but very fun), and he smashed the door and allowed the living dead to kill the party. I do not know what I was thinking when I did that; the Dungeon Master had to pull a Deus ex machina to save our lives.

TRM
2008-11-09, 01:32 PM
My first character was a halfling (or as they called themselves in the world, Brutlem) swashbuckler (though his class was Rogue) named Jearnil Irontoe Croweye. He specialized in killing humans (well, anyone bigger than him) with flashy fencing moves; he rode a dire weasel named Amber; he had six fingers on each hand, dreadlocks, one eye, and was literally covered in tattoos.

He was strong-armed into working for a dragon king and recovering shards of a magical knife, survived a psychopathic drow god's attack, killed half a rebel army, and caused general mayhem.

But he died an ignoble death. A terrible fellow player decided that his character magically knew that Jearnil was a thief and, in an amazing show of metagaming, persecuted the Brutlem at every turn. My 12 year old self got pissed, and Jearnil departed to be replaced by a satyr wizard; the wizard had nothing on Jearnil in terms of fun, though.

Egiam
2008-11-09, 01:45 PM
A 3.5 dwarf cleric with five axes. I did'nt have a clue how to prepare spells, so essiantially I was playing a fighter. I only got to use him in the starter kit (we made characters for it) and as a learning tool for making characters. Now, all this time later, he came back as my first 4.0 character, Gilithin, 1st lvl dwarf paladin who rocks in Keep on the Shadowfell. :smallsmile:

thornhill
2008-11-09, 02:19 PM
My first character was an Anthropomorphic Bear, I still play him because I only started with D&D about a year ago. He was a first level Fighter thrown into a mid-level zoo adventure with mind flayers. Fun times.

Clericzilla
2008-11-09, 11:04 PM
first time playing my friends told me they needed a "heal b****" for their campy and wanted me to play it since all i would have to do is buff and heal..
the DM was a first timmer and told us to roll a d20 and dont keep anything under 13 ... i rolled 4 20's in a row along with an 18 and a 14.. i played a pink haired half elf named Meiungrr who had a higher str score than the fighter.. we ended up giving him the nickname clericzilla lol never really healed anyone due to us killing everything faaast