PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel, Portal Parts

SadisticFishing
2008-11-06, 06:14 PM
Hello!

Okay, a question or two, completely fluff related.

Easy one: I need a name for a part of a portal which is not working. Sort of like "Flux capacitor", but... more fantasy, portal.

Whereas, time travel. My group is about to be thrust into the past, about 100 years. But, I want them to return to their own time after doing what needs to be done in the past...

What are some good ways to get them there? I have one idea so far, a cave in which time moves at a different speed, and it would only take them a year to get back... but I need more/better ideas, too! It's a very open world, so I can fit in almost anything...

Fax Celestis
2008-11-06, 06:16 PM
Might be ripping too hard off of Chrono Trigger here, but you could make it a side effect of the BBEG's existence.

SadisticFishing
2008-11-06, 06:19 PM
Naw, I know why they're going back in time (it's a side effect of the BBEG's existence :P), but it's getting back to the future (teehee) - the whole thing is an accident, the general plot is that the energies the BBEG put into messing up the portal (that they need the *whatever* to fix) cause a time warp.

Note that there is only one Human in my group, but he would probably be sad to be killed by Pure Plot :P

Fax Celestis
2008-11-06, 06:22 PM
Oh god. There are so many references in that statement it's not even funny.

lets do the time warp agaaaaaaain

As for a name, "temporal resonance crystal"?

Heliomance
2008-11-06, 06:24 PM
It's simple.Just get them to do a bit of a mind flip.

Mewtarthio
2008-11-06, 06:34 PM
It's quite simple to get them back: By defeating the BBEG, they have removed any need for them to travel back in time in the first place. Therefore, they are already in the future, completely apathetic about the existence of the... uh...

Transforming Intelligent Machine Engineered for Potential Observation, Reverse Timetravel, and Accurate Learning (T.I.M.E.P.O.R.T.A.L.)!

SadisticFishing
2008-11-06, 06:37 PM
It's just a jump to the left...

Heh, they don't meet the BBEG for real for a long time. They've seen him once or twice, and won't have a chance to kill him for at least another 4 levels (and even then it'll be a VERY tough fight, I expect them to fight him in 6 :P)

Thanks for calling it a Temporal thingy though Fax, that gives me an idea. A good one, too! It's not a time portal though... Hrm.

Yakk
2008-11-06, 06:51 PM
Rune of X?

Diamond of X?

Arch of the X?

Foundation of the World?

Sword of X?

Pie Guy
2008-11-06, 10:41 PM
Definatly involve the word aperture. Anything involving portals has to.

BRC
2008-11-06, 10:43 PM
Definatly involve the word aperture. Anything involving portals has to.

Aperture Resonance Crystal

revolver kobold
2008-11-06, 10:51 PM
A potion, where each drop you drink makes you sleep for one hundred years.

Zeful
2008-11-06, 11:36 PM
Aperture Science Resonance Crystal

I fixed it for you.

Yukitsu
2008-11-06, 11:39 PM
A wizard did it. Will do it. Will did it?

revolver kobold
2008-11-06, 11:41 PM
I fixed it for you.

Aperture Sorcery Resonance Crystal!

Glyde
2008-11-06, 11:53 PM
You know, before the game, the word aperture had to do with cameras, not with portals...

Annywho, I'm fond of "Crystaline Vortex Seal" or something spiffy like that.

Jayabalard
2008-11-06, 11:57 PM
Returning to the "present" could be done by some sort of suspended animation.

alternately, they could get a librarian to help them travel through L Space.

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-07, 12:06 AM
The Magron. Have the portal be a pool in a cave full of oddly friendly, completely nuts dragons of all types, they babble on foreshadowing a bunch of plot. I may use this myself...

Totally Guy
2008-11-07, 02:25 AM
Aperture Sorcery Residuum Crystal!

And again.

Kris Strife
2008-11-07, 03:20 AM
Str checks to make the world spin faster?
Freeze in a block of ice?
Rubber band style snap back?
Fall into a vat of Kevin's hair cement?
It was all a dream?
A cardboard box with 'time machine' written in crayon on th side?
Dr. Who?
Dr. McNinja?
Because you said so?

Drakefall
2008-11-07, 04:19 AM
The amazing and mind boggling Chrono Carrot! A golden carrot formed from the very essence of a long dead god of time. It was crafted by a secret sect of gnome wizards purely for gits and shiggles and has since been lost to the unknown parts of the world and found again several times. It has never actually been used to power a time portal because of blundering villains and annoying PCs alike getting in the way so it's actual effects aren't really known... It's theorised that when used to power any portal device it can cause the portal to rip through time as well as space. This is the commonly held belief, however another exists that it may cause a massive wave of chrono-veggie energy to blast forth from the portal and awaken all vegetable matter on the planet to sentience, ushering in the dominion of Vegetor the Despot.