PDA

View Full Version : Silence: single target

Icewalker
2008-11-06, 07:17 PM
Is there a spell which can be cast to silence a single target, as opposed to an area?

I'd expect that there is, but if not I'll go homebrew it.

Prometheus
2008-11-06, 07:36 PM
I don't know of any, but keep in mind that it might just as be easily a higher level than a lower level. Compare Darkness to say Obscuring Mist + Blindness, or Antimagic Field to Antimagic Ray.

Matthew
2008-11-06, 07:54 PM
I have never found one in either AD&D or D20/3e. I did homebrew one (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4421) for AD&D when I discovered that 10% of AD&D rings of invisibility also bestowed inaudibility upon the wearer.

bosssmiley
2008-11-07, 06:26 AM
I have never found one in either AD&D or D20/3e. I did homebrew one (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4421) for AD&D when I discovered that 10% of AD&D rings of invisibility also bestowed inaudibility upon the wearer.

I thought AD&D had silence (single target), then silence 10' radius? :smallconfused:

Matthew
2008-11-07, 08:11 AM
I thought AD&D had silence (single target), then silence 10' radius? :smallconfused:

Nope, just silence 15' radius to the best of my knowledge. It's possible that a silence spell turned up in one of the AD&D 2e spell compendiums, though; I don't have access to those.

Epinephrine
2008-11-07, 08:42 AM
I believe Whisper Gnomes have a power to silence themselves, and a feat to silence a single target. I seem to also recall a magical item with a silence effect that grants the Silent Spell metamagic feat.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-07, 09:21 AM
:smallcool:There's lots of them.

Finger of Death, Slay Living, Disintegrate...:smallsmile:

bosssmiley
2008-11-07, 09:26 AM
:smallcool:There's lots of them.

Finger of Death, Slay Living, Disintegrate...:smallsmile:

Power Word: No U (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/amongtheomegas/NO_U.jpg) :smallamused:

Burley
2008-11-07, 10:09 AM
Is there not a Power Word for this? There should be... There's a Power Word for flipping everything.

"Power Word: Power Word!"
"Wow... That word was powerful."

Person_Man
2008-11-07, 11:08 AM
Whisper Gnomes can Silence as a spell like ability on themselves once a day. If they take the Extra Silence feat, they can use it 3 + Cha bonus times per day. If they take the Silencing Strike feat, then they can burn a Silence use to Silence the target of a melee Sneak Attack (No Save).

Triaxx
2008-11-07, 03:38 PM
Courtesy of Baldur's Gate 2, and James Bolton's Mage Spell FAQ:

Power Word, Silence (conjuration/summoning)
Level: 6
Range: 30 yards
Duration: 7 rounds
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

In using this spell the wizard points at an individual and utters the
power word. For the next seven rounds, that creature cannot make any
sound. This silence completely foils any spells that require verbal
components. The only counter to this spell is a dispel magic and
vocalize. There is no saving throw.

Matthew
2008-11-07, 03:48 PM
Courtesy of Baldur's Gate 2, and James Bolton's Mage Spell FAQ:

Power Word, Silence (conjuration/summoning)
Level: 6
Range: 30 yards
Duration: 7 rounds
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

In using this spell the wizard points at an individual and utters the
power word. For the next seven rounds, that creature cannot make any
sound. This silence completely foils any spells that require verbal
components. The only counter to this spell is a dispel magic and
vocalize. There is no saving throw.
Interesting. Might be in one of the spell compendiums, it's definitely not from the main lists (Player's Handbook, Tome of Magic, Spells and Magic).

arguskos
2008-11-07, 03:55 PM
BG2, Icewind Dale 2, and similar games often include spells that aren't real spells in the actual D&D game. For example, I do not recall there being a Comet spell as a "10th level" mage spell in AD&D, nor a Dragon's Breath spell at the same level of power. Or Energy Blades, etc... In Neverwinter Nights, there is Issac's Missile Storm (not a real spell, I've checked). In Icewind Dale 2, we have the Seven Eyes spell (not real, I had to homebrew it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85748)). There are more examples if I cared to go dig them out.

Note that many of these spells are AWESOME, and thus deserve life, but merely don't have it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-07, 05:48 PM
Races of the Dragon has quite a few new Power Word spells, but none that Silence. There's a Power Word: Deafen, which imposes a 20% spell failure for anything with a verbal component, and you could Bluff them into thinking you're about to silence them just before casting it and they wouldn't know any better.

A Whisper Gnome (RoS) with the feat Silencing Strike who hits with a melee sneak attack can cause their opponent to become silenced with no saving throw or SR.