PDA

View Full Version : Spell Idea! Forceful Reckoning (Also, looking for better name)

Xallace
2008-11-06, 08:48 PM
I don't dabble in spells too often, but I wanted something with a more cinematic feel that the "typical" explosion spells. Plus I felt evocation needed something a little fresh; Conjuration kinda stole it's thunder way back when.

Forceful Reckoning
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: 10 ft + 5ft per caster level
Effect: 1 Line of Explosive Force
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell creates an explosive blast that damages creatures and forces them backwards. Any creature caught in the line must succeed on a Fortitude save or be thrust to the end of the line effect. A creature pushed in this way takes 1d6 points of damage per 5 feet moved. Half of this damage is fire damage and half of it is bludgeoning.
If a creature succeeds on its Fortitude save, it is not pushed and takes half of the damage it would have taken if it had failed the save. Bonuses against being bull rushed grant an equivalent bonus to the Fortitude save.
If a creature intercepts an object before reaching the end of the spell’s range, the creature takes bludgeoning damage equal to the remaining 5-foot increments in the spell’s range, while the object takes half this much (hardness still applies).
If multiple creatures are caught in the blast, all creatures that are forced to the end of the line effect take an additional 1d6 points of damage and land in randomly determined adjacent squares. If a creature that fails its save is thrust into a creature that succeeded, the creature that succeeded must make a Reflex save at the same DC or take 1d6 points and be thrust to the end of the spell effect, taking damage normally.

So whaddya think?

Knaight
2008-11-06, 08:57 PM
Metamagic Explosive Spell does this for everything metamagicked with it, with somewhat different mechanics. Although that should be the default method in my opinion. Point is that this is already covered.

arguskos
2008-11-06, 09:02 PM
Though Knaight is correct about Explosive Spell, my mantra about spells holds true here:

"Having more diverse spells hurts no one, and is in fact a good thing, provided they are well-managed and monitored for brokenness."

That said, I approve of this here spell, Xallace, though perhaps it should be level 3, not 4. It's not that amazing an effect, IMO.

Xallace
2008-11-06, 09:08 PM
Metamagic Explosive Spell does this for everything metamagicked with it, with somewhat different mechanics. Although that should be the default method in my opinion. Point is that this is already covered.

I know about the Explosive Spell feat, but by my interpretation of it, casting it on a Line area spell forces the creatures 5' to the left or right. I don't really consider that fun.

I'm trying to bring Evocation spells away from "He dealt 46 points of damage" and closer to "My word, he just shot me through a wall."

That said, I approve of this here spell, Xallace, though perhaps it should be level 3, not 4. It's not that amazing an effect, IMO.

Thanks! Perhaps you're right; I was being cautious with it, as I don't work with spells or spellcasters often.

Siosilvar
2008-11-06, 09:15 PM
"My word, he just shot me through a wall."

Epic quote.

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-06, 10:13 PM
Why not call it explosive something. Like Explosive Thrust or Explosive recoil. Or something like Flaming Recoil

Prometheus
2008-11-06, 10:29 PM
Here I thought it would be a spell that forces someone to come to terms with something that they are suppressing.