PDA

View Full Version : Applying attributes to RPing

imp_fireball
2008-11-07, 02:16 AM
This is just a reference guide that I've decided to write down for the heck of it. It documents usual character attributes that are likely to affect personality and behaviors aside from backstory.

These attributes include the three mental ones, with physical attributes usually affecting one's choices rather then how they come to realize and rationalize around said choices.

Intelligence: Reason.
Wisdom: Awareness.
Charisma: Presentation of image and ability to occupy an environment, ultimately leading to greater social integrity.

Here's the variations I've decided to cover, and then you can offer input if you like.

Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 8

Usually this sort of person is incredibly creative, able to work his mind around how people say things and what it would ultimately lead to as well as how others would feel about it. However, this does not necessarily mean that he is able to get his own point across in the matter. He could believe that it would be odd to comment on it during said conversation.

These people will make small talk, maybe slipping in a joke or two. At a younger age, they may want to avoid attention, however they may eventually realize (as they get older) that none of it really matters.

These are the kinds of people who could have a depression and may work around all possible scenarios for distinctly why in enough mannerisms to bring themselves out of depression without whatever small aid their non-conformist friends might offer. They know how to ask questions.

Up wis to 18 and you have someone who finds nearly everyone predictable except for those with wisdom on par with them.

Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 6

Again, they know how to ask questions, they philosophize often within their own head and they're also smart as hell. But they get nervous in many social situations and even despise small talk on bad days. Still, they have the will power to carry through life and the wit to tell someone off who accuses them of being miserable. To the ignorant, they are predictable because they can't help it. But to the wise, the questions they ask are quite unpredictable in comparison with a regular.

All in all, they're rather aloof. Their wis might force them to make statements that are out of context (because of 'oh jeeze, how did you not see that' or whatever), and perhaps out of anxiety, they take people too literally. This does not affect their decisions though.

Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 16

These people are creative, incredibly funny, and unpredictable though people can't help but enjoy them. In high school they may be considered the 'class clown', even though the quieter types might not find them funny (simply if they believe 'that's not as original as what I could think of').

Even though girls might think they're weird people, they'd still hand out their number because they demand it (it's like saying 'I know you don't like me, but I want your number, and you and I both know this ain't going anywhere until you give me that number').

At the same time, they throw off the application of skills and mistake avoidance as being too much of an indulgence, preferring to live the moment and keep 'bouncing back' if mistakes cross you (rather mistakes aren't a flaw for them, their confidence allows them to make it a part of who they are).
--------------------------------

These are mostly for humanish personalities, imo, their are other races who, simply being of another race might affect their own personalities (not due to cultural differences, rather the way they think, though intelligence is more of a raw attribute than the others so 'logic' such as math, is more in common with a lot of races). Any input?