Init: +2
AC 25; touch 11; flat-footed 23
(+2 Dex, +14 natural, -1 size)
BAB/Grp +7/+16
Attack Slam +12 (2d10+5)
Full-Attack 2 Slams (2d10+5)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Cone of Piercing, Jagged Trail
Special Qualities Construct Traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4
Abilities Str 20, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills -
Feats -
Environment Any
Organization Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating 8
Treasure 1/4 normal
Alignment Always neutral
Advancement 11-16 (Large), 17-22 (Huge)

The massive shambling collection moves on what seem to be its legs. It looks like nothing but a roiling mass of nails, but closer inspection reveals the vaguely humanoid shape to be constructed out of thousands of caltrops.

As the rumor has it, some sadistic engineer chose to make his place in history one day by designing his own golem. Uninspired, he searched everywhere for inspiration, and one day, walking through the forest around his tower, stepped on a caltrop from a battle that had taken place there recently. Nursing his wound, he made it back to his tower and the potential in these little iron spikes dawned on him. And so the Caltrop Golem was invented.

Cone of Piercing: A Caltrop Golem can launch a massive spray of caltrops from its body. This takes the form of a 60 ft. cone of flying metal, which deals 6d6 damage to anyone in the area, and covers all affected squares with caltrops. These disappear three rounds after forming. This can be used once every three rounds.

Jagged Trail: Any square moved through by a Caltrop Golem is left covered in caltrops. These disappear three rounds after forming.

Immunity to Magic:
A caltrop golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A spike stones spell increases the damage of the caltrop golem's slam attack from 2d10+5 to 4d6+5 for 2d6 rounds.

A chill metal spell deals damage to the caltrop golem as if fully affected, and the golem is slowed (as the slow spell) for the duration.

A heat metal spell deals damage to the caltrop golem as if fully affected, and the golem is sped up (as the haste spell) for the duration.

Construction
A Caltrop Golem's body is sculpted from 2000 pounds of caltrops, costing 1000 gp, as well as an additional 1000 gp of special oils and powders. Assembling the body requires a DC 18 Craft (metalworking) check.

CL 11th, Craft Construct, Animate Objects, Blade Barrier, Mending, caster must be at least 11th level;

[hr]
I'm not sure what to do with the cost/price for creation. I usually skip the creation part, and I don't see any pattern in the examples I have access to.

Thanks to Stu42 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5228454&postcount=30), who came up with the idea in the 'Uses for Caltrops' thread in the gaming section. I just felt I had to homebrew it up.

Cheesegear
2008-11-07, 03:38 AM
I would also put in some sort of Armour Spikes mechanic. I would not like to be grappled by that thing.

turkishproverb
2008-11-07, 03:41 AM
So, in the event he dies he becomes a defensive barrier.

FMArthur
2008-11-07, 08:16 AM
I don't think the caltrops should disappear, but that's just me.

Burley
2008-11-07, 09:45 AM
I think it's a very good idea that the caltrops dissappear. Otherwise, the PCs could follow the trail of a golem that was sent to fight them all the way back to the creator's lair.
Also, if they didn't dissappear eventually, it would imply that they weren't conjured into existance, which means that there are a fixed amoun on the golem that it uses for attacks. The golem would get smaller and weaker with each step and attack.

I would, however, add in an ongoing damage mechanic on the the slam attack. Anytime it slams, for each damage dice that rolls max (10), 1d4 caltrops are imbedded into the target, dealing 1 ongoing per imbedded caltrop. Move-action to remove caltrops, DC 10 heal check to do so without taking the ongoing damage that round.

Ghill
2008-11-07, 09:57 AM
I applaud your efforts! That list of uses for caltrops really got out of hand...

I am going to use this.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-07, 10:33 AM
Awesomeness! You've made me so proud to have started that thread.

My own idea for a caltrop golem was to make it a swarm of caltrop-like golems, but I defintiely like how you've handled it as a single creature.

puppyavenger
2008-11-07, 10:45 AM
it really needs some sort of armor spikes to damage any melee or grapples against it.

Lappy9000
2008-11-07, 02:34 PM
Nice! Only thing I would do would be to have caltrops fly everywhere whenever the golem is attacked.

FMArthur
2008-11-07, 02:36 PM
I think it's a very good idea that the caltrops dissappear. Otherwise, the PCs could follow the trail of a golem that was sent to fight them all the way back to the creator's lair.
Also, if they didn't dissappear eventually, it would imply that they weren't conjured into existance, which means that there are a fixed amoun on the golem that it uses for attacks. The golem would get smaller and weaker with each step and attack.

I would, however, add in an ongoing damage mechanic on the the slam attack. Anytime it slams, for each damage dice that rolls max (10), 1d4 caltrops are imbedded into the target, dealing 1 ongoing per imbedded caltrop. Move-action to remove caltrops, DC 10 heal check to do so without taking the ongoing damage that round.

What if they took a half hour to disappear? I just think it would be a really effective tool for making a terrain-focused fight, but less so if they disappeared so quickly. Maybe the goal isn't for that kind of fight, though.

Icewalker
2008-11-07, 06:56 PM
That's always fun, yeah, but anybody who would get hit by the caltrops will pretty quickly, when if covers a 40 ft. cone with them.

The armor spikes deal is a good idea, should've included that.

Asheram
2008-11-08, 04:01 PM
But for extra fun, it'd be nice if he could spawn small "swarms" of caltrops from him, taking temporary HP damage till the swarm merges with the original construct again.

Prometheus
2008-11-08, 05:29 PM
Caltrops should definitely last more than three rounds and/or create caltrop swarms. All in all, awesome concept though.

Icewalker
2008-11-08, 06:54 PM
I made it three just to tie in with the Cone of Piercing. It has to be temporary, because otherwise some adventurer will just have to make one and collect infinite caltrops and sell them.

SilentNight
2008-11-08, 07:02 PM
I made it three just to tie in with the Cone of Piercing. It has to be temporary, because otherwise some adventurer will just have to make one and collect infinite caltrops and sell them.

Quite true.

AsuroftheStair
2008-11-10, 01:19 AM
To make people not wonder where the caltrops go, you could have the caltrops wander over to the golem and rejoin it instead. This could also mean damage to people in the squares caltrops pass through, but that would be up to you.