PDA

View Full Version : Dnd 3.5 question

Celeres
2008-11-07, 06:50 AM
Besides Reduce Person and Permanency, is there any way to make a character permanently smaller?

KKL
2008-11-07, 06:53 AM
As far as I can remember, nope.

Although you can chop his legs off. That'll make him roughly the size of a halfling.

pjackson
2008-11-07, 07:05 AM
Wish or Miracle would work.

Celeres
2008-11-07, 07:12 AM
would wish/miracle stack with permanent reduce person?

my intent is to make a character small enough to hide on an ally and not be noticed by the enemy.

and i figured he'd have to be at least diminutive, and i try to avoid level adjustments if possible.

jcsw
2008-11-07, 08:01 AM
Kill him, shrink object on the corpse, then raise him. :)

Starsinger
2008-11-07, 08:02 AM
Morbid curiosity compels me to ask why.

Celeres
2008-11-07, 08:05 AM
morbid lack of sleep compels me to ask what you're asking why about.

Starsinger
2008-11-07, 08:06 AM
morbid lack of sleep compels me to ask what you're asking why about.

Well, I'm really curious, why on earth do you want to be smaller? Gust of Wind shenanigans aside of course.

BRC
2008-11-07, 08:07 AM
It's simple, all you need to hide on an ally is a portable hole.

You set the hole up on your ally's back and get inside it.

Celeres
2008-11-07, 08:09 AM
to make a character small enough with high enough pluses to hide that he could sit in a pack on an allies side or hide in their hair and not be noticed.

i find sick entertainment in coming up with insanely cheesy characters.

Ixtli
2008-11-07, 08:21 AM
You could use a polymorph spell to assume the form of a diminutive or evena fine animal or creature.
("polymorph any object" can be used for a permanent mutation).

Celeres
2008-11-07, 08:30 AM
not a bad idea with that polymorph stuff.

my only letdown is that in a setting following the books strictly, permanency wouldn't work on it.

Tormsskull
2008-11-07, 08:38 AM
A teeny-tiny spell caster that no one notices, right? Its been done.

Celeres
2008-11-07, 08:43 AM
actually, i was gonna make it a rogue.

pull off sneak attack with a crossbow that launches toothpick sized bolts.

koldstare
2008-11-07, 08:48 AM
not a bad idea with that polymorph stuff.

my only letdown is that in a setting following the books strictly, permanency wouldn't work on it.

If you can get the duration factor up high enough it is permenant all on its own.
I.E. A human turned into any mammal with a lower intelegence is permenant.

Just be warned, if you use PAO you assume all ability scores that the creature had including mental stats.

Celeres
2008-11-07, 08:56 AM
hmmmm... having a hard time understanding the chart they give in the PHB for POA.

it says...

changed subject is...........increase to duration factor
same kingdom..........................+5
same class..............................+2
same size ..............................+2
related ...................................+2
same intelligence or lower .........+2

and +9 duration is permanent. so if i morphed into something with my same intelligence, same kingdom, and same class, it'd be permanent?

Ixtli
2008-11-07, 09:38 AM
and +9 duration is permanent. so if i morphed into something with my same intelligence, same kingdom, and same class, it'd be permanent?

You are right: in this case the change is permanent.
Please note that class in this case is not "character class" but "mineral, vegetal, etc.".

You could change, for example, in a grig.
GRIG
Tiny Fey
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 18, Con 13**, Int 10, Wis 13*, Cha 14*
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 40 ft. (poor)
They have light blue skin, forest-green hair, and brown hairy legs, and usually wear tunics or brightly colored vests with buttons made from tiny gems. A grig stands 1-1/2 feet tall and weighs about 1 pound.

* "Polymorph any objects" doesn't change your original charisma and wisdom scores.
**the constitution change modifies only the saving throws. Your HP are not modified.

Irreverent Fool
2008-11-07, 09:42 AM
Kill him, shrink object on the corpse, then raise him. :)

This works, and shrink can be made permanent.
obnoxious
sig

Person_Man
2008-11-07, 11:10 AM
Also the psionic power Compression lets you reduce your size by 2 steps, and it can last 1 minute per level.

Celeres
2008-11-07, 04:46 PM
when you polymorph any object something, does it become something new?

so, say i make a whisper gnome. small creature.

reduce person permanency, he's now a tiny creature. makes for a good football.

if i used to POA to make him an imp, could i use reduce person (or devil equivalent) to make him diminutive that way?

and thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. next time i DM a game, they're gonna have an unexpected NPC :P

Bayar
2008-11-07, 05:14 PM
You could try the Spelunker build. Use Escape artist to squeeze through someone's ass.

Explanation. (http://forums.gleemax.com/archive/index.php/t-968684.html) Dont read and eat/drink.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-07, 06:04 PM
It's simple, all you need to hide on an ally is a portable hole.

You set the hole up on your ally's back and get inside it. You've got an ally with a back 6' across?
Portable Hole

A portable hole is a circle of cloth spun from the webs of a phase spider interwoven with strands of ether and beams of starlight. When opened fully, a portable hole is 6 feet in diameter, but it can be folded up to be as small as a pocket handkerchief. When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being. This hole can be picked up from inside or out by simply taking hold of the edges of the cloth and folding it up. Either way, the entrance disappears, but anything inside the hole remains. Any edge being folded over makes the entrance disappear, so you'd need an ally whose back is 6' across to be able to open it at all.

monty
2008-11-07, 08:02 PM
Wouldn't casting PAO twice in a row make it permanent, anyway?

Starbuck_II
2008-11-07, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't casting PAO twice in a row make it permanent, anyway?

Yes. But that is obvious, right?