PDA

View Full Version : To woo a goddess...

Heliomance
2008-11-07, 09:24 PM
Some of you may be aware from my previous posts that I'm currently playing in a game where all the PCs are dragons. Now, I've been thinking about where my character, a copper dragon bard, is going to end up, and I think that when he's much older, he'll probably try proposing to Hlal. Now, I think that to have any chance of a positive answer, I'm going to need to start work now along the path of increasing devotion. Currently I'm only Juvenile, at 14 HD, but there's a lot of groundwork to be laid. So.

How would you go about wooing a goddess? And when/if I succeed, how should I actually propose? Currently I'm telling the odd legend of her with perform checks averaging at about 48, but I've not got any more concrete ideas than that. Also, I'm thinking that it might be quite fun to propose with a ring stolen from Astilabor. Thoughts?

Revanmal
2008-11-07, 09:30 PM
A giant statue and/or temple in her honor.

Destroy a temple of her greatest enemy in her name.

Offer a rare or priceless item to her main temple that she would appreciate.

In other words, show devotion just like you would any regular girl... except bigger.

BizzaroStormy
2008-11-07, 09:47 PM
Candy and flowers?

Tuataralad
2008-11-07, 09:52 PM
Wow, there's a new concept...

You could try flowers, but they would have to be of a species in which only one specimen exists and it is inside a volcano somewhere guarded by te tarrasque.

Or candy, perhaps made from pure, 100% melted deliciousness resloidified into cute little hearts.

All I can say is good luck!

Prometheus
2008-11-07, 09:55 PM
Singing of "High of above me"? Actually, she would probably be the one female that would be insulted by being compared to Cleopatra or Joan of Arc.

You have to figure out whether she is the "I hate hubris" sort of god or the "I like confident men" type. If she's the former, serve her faithfully like a cleric and she may reward you by polymorphing into livestock for a one-night stand. If she's the later, you can't show any weakness and you have to approach her as a god-to-a-godess. Either way, she'd have high expectations.

monty
2008-11-07, 10:06 PM
Go on a crusade, killing followers of her greatest enemy?

Reinboom
2008-11-07, 10:17 PM
Be Elminster.

Sleep with a different goddess to make her jealous.

Drive a fancy sports cart.

Or.. more in line with Hlal's aspect or portfolio...
Kill Seinfeld.
Kill Carlos Mencia.

Or..
Start doing fausty things. Afro bombs are a plus.

jguy
2008-11-07, 10:18 PM
Is it wrong that when I first saw Lloth I thought she was kinda hot and then I thought. "How can I get my neutral good dude to woo her without dieing a horrible, horrible death?"

...Yes, I am messed up

Vagnarok
2008-11-07, 10:28 PM
Well, just make sure you have stats comparable to hers at the time of the proposal. It's no fun to marry someone who sucks/kicks your ass at everything. Also, you might consider prepping her for it a bit with some early friendship instead of just showing up out of nowhere with a ring.

Yukitsu
2008-11-07, 10:32 PM
Open with a good joke.

KKL
2008-11-07, 10:41 PM
Becoming a diety would help.

mr.fizzypop
2008-11-07, 10:51 PM
Maybe like romeo and juliet, but instead of a balcony the clouds.

RS14
2008-11-07, 10:52 PM
Some of you may be aware from my previous posts that I'm currently playing in a game where all the PCs are dragons. Now, I've been thinking about where my character, a copper dragon bard, is going to end up, and I think that when he's much older, he'll probably try proposing to Hlal. Now, I think that to have any chance of a positive answer, I'm going to need to start work now along the path of increasing devotion. Currently I'm only Juvenile, at 14 HD, but there's a lot of groundwork to be laid. So.

I'm not sure that devotion is sufficient. She'd probably rather be able to treat you as an equal and a lover than a worshiper.

monty
2008-11-07, 10:54 PM
Maybe like romeo and juliet, but instead of a balcony the clouds.

I really don't think suicide is the best strategy.

UglyPanda
2008-11-07, 10:55 PM
How are you actually going to stand a chance of dating her in the first place? Is this a campaign where the gods are omnipresent and like to throw rocks at the windows of atheists or is this just some grand ambition of your character? Of course, if the goddess just lets you down gently, don't take it too badly. It takes a lot to impress a goddess, a lot.
-Overthrow despot rulers in her name.
-Give the hoards of evil dragons to her as a sacrifice.
-Perform the Head of Vecna prank on as many Evil Worshipers of Vecna as you can find.
-Write a thousand good stories and always state that she was an inspiration to you.
-Carve her holy symbol into a mountain so that it can be seen a mile away.
-Pull a prank on a different god. Trickery is one of her domains, she'd think it'd be impressive.
-Pull a prank on either her, Garl Glittergold, or Olidammara. Not only is it insanely difficult, but they appreciate pranks the most.
-Make an entire nation think that you're their king for a single day.
-Get every citizen of that nation to sing a song in her honor all at once.
-If you manage to pull off becoming a king, be a just and fair king. She hates despots.
-Make a joke that gets every citizen of a nation to laugh at once.
-Create the funniest joke in the world (Monty Python reference) and get a hated tyrant to die from laughing at it.

monty
2008-11-07, 10:58 PM
-Create the funniest joke in the world (Monty Python reference) and get a hated tyrant to die from laughing at it.

Mary Poppins reference?

UglyPanda
2008-11-07, 11:01 PM
Mary Poppins reference?
Here's the sketch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM) Though it does remind me a bit of Mary Poppins now that you've mentioned it.

Heliomance
2008-11-08, 07:13 AM
How are you actually going to stand a chance of dating her in the first place? Is this a campaign where the gods are omnipresent and like to throw rocks at the windows of atheists or is this just some grand ambition of your character? Of course, if the goddess just lets you down gently, don't take it too badly. It takes a lot to impress a goddess, a lot.
-Overthrow despot rulers in her name.
-Give the hoards of evil dragons to her as a sacrifice.
-Perform the Head of Vecna prank on as many Evil Worshipers of Vecna as you can find.
-Write a thousand good stories and always state that she was an inspiration to you.
-Carve her holy symbol into a mountain so that it can be seen a mile away.
-Pull a prank on a different god. Trickery is one of her domains, she'd think it'd be impressive.
-Pull a prank on either her, Garl Glittergold, or Olidammara. Not only is it insanely difficult, but they appreciate pranks the most.
-Make an entire nation think that you're their king for a single day.
-Get every citizen of that nation to sing a song in her honor all at once.
-If you manage to pull off becoming a king, be a just and fair king. She hates despots.
-Make a joke that gets every citizen of a nation to laugh at once.

Hmm, some good ideas there.
I think this isn't quite so much of a pipe dream as it would be in most cases. We've already managed to go to Celestia and stroll into Bahamut's throne room to say hi. We ended up getting each getting a diamond the size of one of the party members, which he autographed for us. We also invited him to a sushi and paella meet, which he did in fact turn up to. And we will be becoming epic quite rapidly. As I say, I'm already level 14 and only three age categories in, and we level up three levels at a time.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-08, 07:20 AM
Trick beams of light into thinking that the speed of light is different so that you spell out your proposal in the night sky? Being able to trick the universe should impress her.

I just created my own stars when I proposed to a goddess in one game, ah the fun of epic magic.

Drakefall
2008-11-08, 07:22 AM
Well you've started off on the right foot. Storytelling is definitely a good foundation for Hlal. It is her thing and all. Ignore all the advice about destruction and conquering in her name because IIRC she hates bullying.

So my, possible corny, advice: For now just continue with your storytelling. Epic romantic stories for bonus brownie points. Once you think she may be paying you any kind of special attention whatsoever move on to tactic number two: Talk to her. I mean she's a goddess, she's up to her ears in worship, an intelligent conversation would probably be a refreshing change of pace for her. And then, yes, you will have to do something special for her along the lines of questing for the perfect gift when you wish to reveal your feelings.

Oh and as far as proposing goes, you should most definitely open up with a serenade.

Uhhh... attaining some form of divinity and claiming you did it to be closer her is also a good way to go I suppose.

Heliomance
2008-11-08, 07:23 AM
I did consider the "rearrange the stars" method, but I thought she'd probably be more amused by presenting her with a ring nicked from Astilabor the Hoardmistress.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-08, 07:26 AM
*shrug*

Basically pull off an epically difficult trick. Convincing light to change its speed, stealing from the god of hoarding, tricking another god into giving you all their divine power, tricking her into thinking that you are her are already married...

All work.

BobVosh
2008-11-08, 07:36 AM
Easy. Take bard presitiege to get 9th level spells. Get epic casting. Break epic casting. Create Epic Mind Rape.

Epic Mind Rape Deity.

Easier way: 120 perform check to make people worship you. Gain divine ranks. Become an equal level god. Woo. Become bitter and rampage in her name. She hates you. Create epic mind rape. See first part of post.

Everything is solved with sufficient mind raping.

Heliomance
2008-11-08, 07:38 AM
Not sure that's quite compatible with being Chaotic Good.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-08, 07:42 AM
Not sure that's quite compatible with being Chaotic Good.

Trick chaotic good into thinking it's compatible :smalltongue:

paddyfool
2008-11-08, 07:53 AM
[ignores funny-disturbing Epic Mind Rape madness that would get your character's soul ground into a fine mist and scattered to the ends of creation by any of her friends among other deities/epic spellcasters]

You're probably going to have to have your character get into a realistic situation to make him fall in love with her as well (something more than "she's a goddess about whom many stories are told"). You could talk to your DM about this, perhaps.

As for the harder question of her falling for your character... well, you've got lots of good advice. But you'll probably have to play him as being a-frikkin-dorable whatever he does to have a hope at it. And would he have had any prior relationships? As a goddess, regular mortal inexperience would be bad enough; virgin mortal inexperience (whether with courtship, relationships, or the other thing) would surely just be too much of a pain. But perhaps I'm getting a bit too realistic for this kind of epic story... and if you were an epic virgin copper dragon (!), she might at least go for de-whatsiting you, even if she doesn't then stick around after :smallwink:.

shadow_archmagi
2008-11-08, 08:05 AM
You know, I think gods are the exception to the rule that "I built you a shrine" is creepy.

Heliomance
2008-11-08, 08:41 AM
You know, I think gods are the exception to the rule that "I built you a shrine" is creepy.

Sigged
space

JeminiZero
2008-11-08, 09:08 AM
Easy. Take bard presitiege to get 9th level spells. Get epic casting. Break epic casting. Create Epic Mind Rape.

Ignoring the bit about Mind-rape, epic spellcasting is actually a reasonable starting point. As others have mentioned, getting her to marry you (as oppose to merely liking you as a highly devoted servant) involves getting her to see you as an equal, and the easiest way to equal a God(dess) is via Epic Magic.

Emperor Tippy has some stories on how he used Epic Magic to woo a Goddess, which I am surprised he hasn't posted/linked to yet. (What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll craft an Epic spell and mitigate the DC with my army of solars).

Learnedguy
2008-11-08, 09:48 AM
Sing like you never sung before.

That's your best shot really.

monty
2008-11-08, 01:49 PM
Trick chaotic good into thinking it's compatible :smalltongue:

Normal casting can tell the laws of physics to shut up. Why can't epic casting do the same for the laws of alignment?

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-08, 01:57 PM
Normal casting can tell the laws of physics to shut up. Why can't epic casting do the same for the laws of alignment?

Who said anything about casting?

Just bluff the universe.

Hmm, I think I'm going to come up with new epic skill uses.

Bluff:
Bluff the universe
You can tell a lie with such conviction that the universe is briefly altered to make it a true statement. With a DC 100*Spell level check you can replicate any spell effect as if you had cast it with the minimum applicable CL and ability modifier. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier.

monty
2008-11-08, 02:02 PM
Epic glibness? Epic casting makes everything better, including bluffing.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-08, 02:34 PM
You know, that is how I always thought magic 'worked'. You are basically BS'ing the universe.
Hmm, getting a goddess to love you, eh?A quest worthy of the ego of a dragon.

It would make a wonderful novel I would say.
Research a magical harp that can play any sound n the universe, and direct it at will. That can be from the most soul touching song enough to make the devils cry, or it can be a fart sound to be played whenever a fellow being sits down. Go before the gods and play it, from both angles. Then present the harp to her.

Roderick_BR
2008-11-08, 04:14 PM
A giant statue and/or temple in her honor.

Destroy a temple of her greatest enemy in her name.

Offer a rare or priceless item to her main temple that she would appreciate.

In other words, show devotion just like you would any regular girl... except bigger.
Seconded. Specially if you are giving up your precious dragon treasure. That's a sign of devotion.

AslanCross
2008-11-08, 05:02 PM
Seconded. Specially if you are giving up your precious dragon treasure. That's a sign of devotion.

Melt down your hoard and cast it into a giant statue of her.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-08, 05:30 PM
Collect a British billion of precious gems in assorted colours, and make a mural of her on an open plain. Protect it from all comers, except her.

Kris Strife
2008-11-08, 06:33 PM
Trick Chronepis into getting up and doing anything or get Tiamat's heads to start fighting each other.

Doomsy
2008-11-08, 07:10 PM
Make her laugh.

Seriously, she is a goddess. There is nothing you can do even with epic levels that she cannot do a lot easier. Just walk over and talk to her. I'd suggest finding out what she likes, doing nice things for her, hang out sometimes. I'd seriously avoid the join her religion route, because you can't respect someone who literally worships the ground you walk on. Well, not in that way. And trying to be the biggest magical badass in the universe to impress someone who was born doing the tricks you had to work your ass off to get to and still have to maintain constantly through diligence? Oh man, that is asking for trouble. Treat her like a normal woman. It'll probably be novel and interesting for her at the very least. Be nice. Make her laugh. Make her smile. Ask her if she'd like to eat sometime. Just talk to her, not be like, "OH MY GOD LOOK AT MAH MAGIC AND I BUILTS YOU A TEMPLE WILL YOU GOES OUTS WITH ME?!"

She is a woman and not a damn prize you win by knocking around her enemies. Not to mention, that is pretty skeevy - you're only helping her out because you want to date her? Ew, man. Ew. Especially since she can probably read your mind and knows that you killed those guys just to try to get some of her. Be yourself.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-08, 10:31 PM
Ideas to make her laugh:
Pass by her window carrying a Tarrasque on your back.

It worked for Lazy Jack (http://www.authorama.com/english-fairy-tales-30.html).:smallwink:

LurkerInPlayground
2008-11-08, 10:37 PM
Even if all else fails, your character will have left a damn good story that the setting's NPC's will be kicking around for a long time.

Ascension
2008-11-08, 10:42 PM
It worked for Lazy Jack (http://www.authorama.com/english-fairy-tales-30.html).:smallwink:

I think the moral of this story is that if you act like an idiot long enough someone will mistake you for a comedian and pay you money.

It explains a lot of "comedy" these days...

Blue Warlock
2008-11-09, 03:55 AM
I'm going to second chocolate and flowers.
Maybe you should see if she has a preference of filling and only get her chocolate filled with that type (eg, she likes coconut you get her a giant cardboard heart filled with coconut filled chocolates, also, invent cardboard hearts filled with chocolate)

Drakefall
2008-11-09, 03:56 AM
"OH MY GOD LOOK AT MAH MAGIC AND I BUILTS YOU A TEMPLE WILL YOU GOES OUTS WITH ME?!"

XD... This is brilliant. I almost fell over! And I have to agree with you that going overboard on the magic and devotion fronts will probably not work so well.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-09, 04:24 AM
Who said anything about casting?

Just bluff the universe.

Hmm, I think I'm going to come up with new epic skill uses.

Bluff:
Bluff the universe
You can tell a lie with such conviction that the universe is briefly altered to make it a true statement. With a DC 100*Spell level check you can replicate any spell effect as if you had cast it with the minimum applicable CL and ability modifier. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier.This is the best idea you have ever had, Tippy.

And Doomsy has the right of it. At least, if she thinks anything like a real mortal woman.

turkishproverb
2008-11-09, 04:32 AM
Melt down your hoard and cast it into a giant statue of her.

As long as the statue is...er...flattering. And encourages worship of her.

Heliomance
2008-11-09, 05:05 AM
get Tiamat's heads to start fighting each other.

I lol'd. That's hilarious.

Infernal Undead
2008-11-09, 06:40 AM
Here's my suggestion for something that might help.

Dragon's should probably not view gods the same way humans do. Remember unlike mortals who gain divinity based on nothing but random luck any dragon that doesn't get killed before it becomes ancient could gain godhood if it desired. Being an adventuring dragon you could gain it earlier.

In my opinion other than perhaps Io dragon gods should be seen as more spiritual guides, superstars, nobility, and rolemodels than actual gods.

Basically dragon gods are closer to the original idea of a buddha when compared to dragons than the idea of a diety.

I would suggest if you don't have a build ready getting into dragon ascendant when you can which as an adventuring dragon you should be able to do since you would level faster than a normal can become a god classless dragon. If your horde was partially a handme down from your parents and your dragon would have a problem with eating it because it thinks its wrong to devour the stuff that its parent's gaze it. Theres a simple awnser. By the time you get to that level make sure you don't have the stuff. Make it a handme down again, your a dragon you probably have some younger relatives that wouldn't mind a gift. In fact if you use this method and start with it before you take the first level and eat your horde. This might be metagamy but remember your dragon only needs 100,000 gp.

If your going to have a lot more than that get rid of it. Hlal is a goddess of entertainment. Secretly donate it to bardic groups and other entertainment organizations. Chances are she would know and that would probably help earn brownie points as another person called it. Also the class has one other advantage Immortality. Remember you shouldn't have your character view her as a god but on the other hand she is immortal.

Being a quasi-diety means you can avoid the whole your going to die soon problem without having to convert so that way your petitioner can have a relationship with her and she wouldn't have to give up a divine rank if she didn't want to date a ghost.

If you do decide to worship her. Remember this is basically the equivlent of a servant hitting on a noblewoman. However if you do this don't aim for being a cleric or even a hierophant. If you want to be her servant aim for Divine Emmissary. At that point you would have already impressed Hlal and you would at least be her favorite servant.

Actually if you last to a high enough level. You could try both ideas together. If she has any kind of vanity that would help play to it since out of all the dragon gods Io is the only one with another god working directly for him.

Also before taking either of the two classes if you don't plan on going all the way with bard I would suggest considering the sublime chord and/or the seeker of the song. Fluff wise both would fit well with your idea but with seeker you have to be careful becuase it has the no return thing.

Sublime chord fluff- studies music is the ultimate foundation of existance.

seeker of the song - draws power from the primal music.

After all of this I have one more suggestion. Wait until your at least a young adult or an adult. She might take you more serious than she would the dragon version of a teenager.

Also if you decide to try to go past quasi-diety rank(if your dm even allows it since it would be up to him to decide if you have enough worshippers) do not have a portfolio that conflicts with hers but avoid having the same portfolio.

I have a feeling that something like that would probably irritate a diety since it makes you competition. Sure like I said she shouldn't be considered a god like a human would consider it from a dragon's point of view but both of you would have humanoid worshipers.

Also if you do lay siege to Vecna's power. Wait till your a quasi-god and lay siege to his fortress, or rather any treasure in it and do the donation idea. Chances are Hlal would probably prefer that to being given it as a gift but if she doesn't well. At that point you could just ask her "I decided to attack Vecna's 'fortress'(or whatever it is I just know that its on the prime material plane) and stole about (insert ammount of gp here). I was planning on donating it to (insert entertainment group here) but was wondering if you might want it?"

That would also help if she hasn't already found out that your interested in her. Although if she hasn't realized it you might want to reconsider since by the time you reach that point you would have done something that would register under her portfolio sense which would mean that shes rather absent minded and might not even remember that you two are a couple.

Heliomance
2008-11-09, 08:16 AM
She's already slightly interested in my activities, she's noticed me. This is due to the fact that I've been telling legends about her and score 32 on my perform check on a natural 1. I've already gone into Sublime Chord, and am working my way through virtuoso. Dragon Ascendant I might do at some point, though I wasn't planning on it.

Heirlooms in hoard is not a problem, our hoards are built from scratch. Our party hatched in communal hatching grounds, we don't actually know who our parents are. Getting rid of it is not an option, however - in the setting we're playing in, a dragon's bonded hoard is tied to its soul. If it loses its hoard, it gets rapidly weaker, could even die from it. Also, bearing in mind that dragons live for thousands of years anyway, that's plenty of time to find a solution to the whole mortality thing.

Having just looked at Divine Emissary, it doesn't seem like it would really fit me mechanically. Its main abilities seem to be focused on paladins, what with stuff to improve your smiting and special mount. On the other hand, if I pick up some levels in Favoured Soul or Cleric, the High Proselytizer looks interesting.

Thanks for the detailed post though, very informative. I realise that it would be a good idea to wait to actually make my move, but I thought I should probably start laying groundwork now.

JeminiZero
2008-11-09, 10:57 AM
Make her laugh.

Seriously, she is a goddess. There is nothing you can do even with epic levels that she cannot do a lot easier.

The point about using epic magic is not so much doing things for her that she can't do, as much as it is about being her equal.

Put another way, a mortal girl might like flowers, but she could just as well buy them herself. She doesn't need a guy to give them to her, but the guy does so anyway because its the thought that counts.

At the same time, the guy should preferably be able to afford the flowers in the first place. And when pursuing a Goddess, you need to be able to afford a lot more than just flowers. And the easiest way to do that is via Epic Magic.

Treat her like a normal woman. It'll probably be novel and interesting for her at the very least. Be nice. Make her laugh. Make her smile. Ask her if she'd like to eat sometime. Just talk to her, not be like, "OH MY GOD LOOK AT MAH MAGIC AND I BUILTS YOU A TEMPLE WILL YOU GOES OUTS WITH ME?!"

I agree with this. She's ultimately a Goddess, and should be far less susceptile to displays of raw power compared to mortals. To win her heart, you need something akin to traditional romance (suitably amped up to epic/divine levels).

thorgrim29
2008-11-09, 01:45 PM
Find the setting's Helen of troy equivalent, make her fall for you, and then spurn her, saying your heart belongs to the goddess.

monty
2008-11-09, 02:23 PM
At the same time, the guy should preferably be able to afford the flowers in the first place. And when pursuing a Goddess, you need to be able to afford a lot more than just flowers. And the easiest way to do that is via Epic Magic.

EPIC FLOWERS!

Create Epic Flowers
Conjuration (Creation)
Spellcraft DC:
...All right, I'm stuck. I'm not very good at making epic spells. Anybody else want to try this one?

Heliomance
2008-11-09, 02:53 PM
Do Origin of the Species, I think, to create an entirely new species of flower

paddyfool
2008-11-09, 06:28 PM
Let's see... mythic/fantasy precedent for mortals getting together with goddesses:

Greek
Well, Aphrodite slept with a few on the side, but they were never long term things. Otherwise... well, Hercules ascended to godhood and then got together with Hymen (no, I'm not making her name up).

Norse
Well, in the Niebelungenlied, Siegfried got together with a Valkyrie... but then he was a grandson of a god himself. Can't think of any others, but my knowledge of this line of myth is a tad scanty.

African
Scanty knowledge again, but there was Kintu, the first man in Baganda myth, who basically married the daughter of God despite having nothing to his name save a nice cow. Oh, and climbing a rainbow bridge to heaven. But I've never heard much about the romantic side of that particular match-up...

Chinese
Really no idea. Did Monkey seduce anyone while in heaven, or was he too busy stealing peaches and generally causing havoc?

Dragonlance
If a god is to a dragon as a dragon is to a man... Huma and the Silver-Dragon-whose-name-I-forget, or Gilthanas and Silvara. Considering the latter case and your characteristics, you should be the soul of chivalry and entertainment to any random female NPCs you should happen to be travelling with.

Other TSR Settings
Not a clue here. Anyone?

Other classic fantasy
Some of Tolkein's stuff from the Silmarillion isn't totally out of place here... I mean, the elven princesses or Maia ladies in that weren't, of course, goddesses, but they were a major step above their suitors. Still, it never spells out what Beren and the others (yes, that's where Dragonlance got the name from) did to earn it. Except, in his particular case, for being so darn persistent. (Spoilered for gratuitous poetry:
The leaves were long, the grass was green,
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair,
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinuviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of stars was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering.

There Beren came from mountains cold.
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

Enchantment healed his weary feet
That over hills were doomed to roam;
And forth he hastened, strong and fleet,
And grasped at moonbeams glistening.
Through woven woods in Elvenhome
She lightly fled on dancing feet,
And left him lonely still to roam
In the silent forest listening.

He heard there oft the flying sound
Of feet as light as linden-leaves,
Or music welling underground,
In hidden hollows quavering.
Now withered lay the hemlock-sheaves,
And one by one with sighing sound
Whispering fell the beachen leaves
In wintry woodland wavering.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves of years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon,
As on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.

When winter passed, she came again,
And her song released the sudden spring,
Like rising lark, and falling rain,
And melting water bubbling.
He saw the elven-flowers spring
About her feet, and healed again
He longed by her to dance and sing
Upon the grass untroubling.

Again she fled, but swift he came,
Tinuviel! Tinuviel!
He called her by her elvish name;
And there she halted listening.
One moment stood she, and a spell
His voice laid on her: Beren came,
And doom fell on Tinuviel
That in his arms lay glistening.

As Beren looked into her eyes
Within the shadows of her hair,
The trembling starlight of the skies
He saw there mirrored shimmering.
Tinuviel the elven-fair,
Immortal maiden elven-wise,
About him cast her shadowy hair
And arms like silver glimmering.

Long was the way that fate them bore,
O'er stony mountains cold and grey,
Through halls of iron and darkling door,
And woods of nightshade morrowless.
The Sundering Seas between them lay,
And yet at last they met once more,
And long ago they passed away
In the forest singing sorrowless.
)

Ravyn
2008-11-09, 06:44 PM
More Greek precedent: Both Selene and Eos fell in love with Random Prettyboy Mortals while doing their daily rounds. The mortals could've come out better--Eos asked for eternal life for hers but forgot eternal youth, and ended up with a grasshopper; Selene was a bit more sensible and ended up with hers eternally young and pretty and almost perpetually dozing off. They managed a decent family, though, so I can only imagine the kind of dreams the young man was having.

I'd say your best shot is being an exceptional person--the showing off will get her attention, but at that point, you're going to want to make it clear that you're more than just another braggart with maybe more than usual ability to back it up. Given the goddess you're dealing with, a quick wit and a way with words will probably help; behaving in line with her ideals can't possibly hurt either. One thing you'll definitely want to play up is why you love her; beauty on its own is wildly overrated as a reason, and the whole divinity thing.... rule number one, NEVER admit it's just that.

Arbitrarity
2008-11-09, 06:53 PM
Do Origin of the Species, I think, to create an entirely new species of flower

Seeds: conjure (DC 21), life (DC 27), fortify (DC 17). permanent (×5 DC)

Initial DC: 325.

Assumes no HD or similar. +50 to the DC if you give the flower an HD.

Mitigation:
Increase casting time by 10 minutes: -20
Increase casting time by 100 days: -200
Backlash 40d6 (depends on how much HP you have): -40
If you can't make DC 85, or it is too expensive, you have a few options. Add an XP cost (part of my soul went into making this flower), or add ritual casting shenanigans. Ritual casting isn't very romantic, but I suppose enslaving pit fiends to create a pretty flower has a sort of interesting aspect to it...

The Glyphstone
2008-11-09, 06:56 PM
Get rid of the backlash, unless you consider dying to be romantic. You'll be taking 40d6 damage every single round that flower is in existence...

Heliomance
2008-11-09, 07:02 PM
I'm guessing you don't, seeing as the existing origin of the species spell in the ELH has 50d6 backlash.

monty
2008-11-09, 07:04 PM
(part of my soul went into making this flower)

Not being a female goddess, I can only guess at her response, but that would impress me pretty well.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-11-09, 07:19 PM
get Tiamat's heads to start fighting each other.

I would try that just to try it. Awesome.

Kris Strife
2008-11-09, 07:37 PM
I would try that just to try it. Awesome.

should I start a thread asking how to do this?