PDA

View Full Version : A way to cheat death?

Zeful
2008-11-08, 03:55 PM
I was curious. Instead of getting raised at death, what stops a high level magic user from gating (or plane shifting) to the material plane after death? Every indication of death in D&D says your soul is taken to an appropriate aligned plane after death, but it never says you lose you spell casting abilities. Would this be possible?

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-08, 03:57 PM
I believe that the complete divine answers this by saying that your soul is a 1hd outsider called a petitioner, and as such you actually lose pretty much everything.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-11-08, 03:58 PM
The problem is that there's still a dead version of you on the material plane. Thus your soul would shift to that body, and your body for whatever reason not really functioning would instantly die again, or just not fit for habitation by your soul. Thus sending your soul back.

/weirdlogicfu

insecure
2008-11-08, 04:00 PM
RAW, it's even possible to take actions when you're dead. There's nothing stated about that you can't attack when you're dead or something, but I don't think anyone plays with this.

I guess that RAW, you can just plane shift 'cause there's no rules for being dead and what happens, but RAI you can't escape death so easily.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-08, 04:02 PM
RAW, it's even possible to take actions when you're dead. There's nothing stated about that you can't attack when you're dead or something, but I don't think anyone plays with this.

I guess that RAW, you can just plane shift 'cause there's no rules for being dead and what happens, but RAI you can't escape death so easily.What about Contingency:Plane Shift? Seems to let you at least take the action.

insecure
2008-11-08, 04:05 PM
What about Contingency:Plane Shift? Seems to let you at least take the action.

IIRC, Contingency spells can't be used after your death. So, for example, if you set a contingency spell to "Plane shift when I'm dead", it will either plane shift the moment before you actually die, or it won't work, because at that time, the contingency spell has disappeared due to your death.

Spiryt
2008-11-08, 04:06 PM
I was curious. Instead of getting raised at death, what stops a high level magic user from gating (or plane shifting) to the material plane after death? Every indication of death in D&D says your soul is taken to an appropriate aligned plane after death, but it never says you lose you spell casting abilities. Would this be possible?

Well, even considering it's possible, you would shift your soul to the material plane - your body will still lie dead and cold.

You would maybe be able to become some kind of ghost, but that's not the same. :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2008-11-08, 04:10 PM

I guess that RAW, you can just plane shift 'cause there's no rules for being dead and what happens, but RAI you can't escape death so easily.

Yes there is. You can't take actions after you go below -10. When you die, your below -10

Draken
2008-11-08, 04:14 PM
As Meklor said. When you die, your soul is translocated to an outer plane and there it is turned into a petitioner. A CR 1, 2 HD Outsider without any of your class levels (unless you go to Elisium). Most petitioners are bound to their planes (Manes, Lemures, Larva and Lantern Archons are the exception).

It's pretty much like becoming a zombie I guess. Except the resulting creature is slightly stronger.

Wabbajack
2008-11-08, 05:53 PM
It isnt like becoming a zombie, you just forget everything and become a new person. In Bytopia for example you will look like a gnome. The only exception is Elysium. There you will remeber most of you life, look like before and retain up to 4 class levels.

Zeful
2008-11-08, 10:44 PM

You can only continue to take actions while dead as long as you are immune to non-lethal damage. Because your non-lethal damage (0) is greater than your total hp (-10) and you fall unconscious.

monty
2008-11-08, 11:30 PM
your body will still lie dead and cold.

O body my body! Our fearful trip is done
The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring

But O heart! Heart! Heart!
O the bleeding drops of red
Where on the deck my body lies
Fallen cold and dead

O body! My body! Rise up and hear the bells
Rise up - for you the flag is flung - for you the bugle trills
For you bouquets and ribboned wreaths - for you the shores a-crowding
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning

Here body! Dear vessel!
This arm beneath your head
It is some dream that on the deck
You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My body does not answer, its lips are pale and still
My vessel does not feel its arm, it has no pulse nor will
The ship is anchored safe and sound, its voyage closed and done
From fearful trip the victor ship, comes in with object won

Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I, with mournful tread
Walk the deck my body lies
Fallen cold and dead
I can't believe I still have this memorized (modified in this case, though). Stupid Academic Decathlon...

Recaiden
2008-11-09, 12:01 AM
I believe there is also an improved petitioner which retains most of it's abilities. If I recall correctly it's that the soul travels through the planes to get to the afterlife rather than waiting to appear there.

Waspinator
2008-11-09, 12:05 AM
Flesh to Stone. Technically, you're not dead.

Zeful
2008-11-09, 10:58 AM
Flesh to Stone. Technically, you're not dead.

Flesh to Stone, Stoneshape, Stone to flesh, your now a catgirl.

Roderick_BR
2008-11-09, 11:26 AM
Flesh to Stone, Stoneshape, Stone to flesh, your now a pile of twisted flesh.

Hoplite
2008-11-09, 12:23 PM
Flesh to Stone, Stoneshape, Stone to flesh, your now a pile of twisted flesh.

That's got to hurt.

Omniphobe
2008-11-09, 01:01 PM
The catgirl idea still seems more cruel though.
Does this petitioner business make Roy's death in OOTS inaccurate?

Jack_Simth
2008-11-09, 01:02 PM
Do note: Stoneshape can't do fine detail, which you'll likely need if you're wanting to change someone's race and/or gender.

Fabricate, on the other hand, can do fine detail - but what Craft skill is appropriate for that?

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-09, 01:05 PM
Why not just plane shift before death or contingency port to a positive energy plane at hp 0?

Waspinator
2008-11-09, 01:06 PM
Do note: Stoneshape can't do fine detail, which you'll likely need if you're wanting to change someone's race and/or gender.

Fabricate, on the other hand, can do fine detail - but what Craft skill is appropriate for that?

Craft: Anime