PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Stats Help for Elven Ranger

HOVA
2008-11-08, 04:26 PM
Hey all,
While building my elven ranger for my first 4th ed game, I'm having difficulty deciding between two different stat arrays.

While I may decide to possibly multiclass this character with cleric (depending on party composition), he is first and foremost an archer ranger (hence the 20 Dex for both).

Option 1: 10 Str, 11 Con, 20 Dex, 10 Int, 16 Wis, 8 Cha

Option 2: 10 Str, 13 Con, 20 Dex, 10 Int, 15 Wis, 8 Cha

Option 1 would be pumping Dex/Wis each time and not getting Armor Spec (Hide) and Fast Runner

Option 2 would be pumping Dex/Wis @ 4th and all other levels, but pumping Dex/Con @ 8th to qualify for Armor Spec (Hide)

I know the differences are very small, but I've never played 4th edition and was looking for opinions from those of you that have (specifically, anyone with experience running an archer ranger).

I'm leaning toward option 2 because Armor Spec (Hide) and Fast Runner would be options for me and fit well with my character concept (defensive and mobile), but my heart wouldn't be broken otherwise.

Secondary question: Are there enough good feats out there for an archer ranger, or should I just plan on multiclassing to cleric (to pick up a little healing, weapon of the gods, searing light, enthrall, and eventually astral storm... but if I wanted all of those, I'd probably switch stats to an 18 Dex/ 18 Wis setup).

Opinions?

KKL
2008-11-08, 05:07 PM
STAT RAGE.

Why the blue seventy jesuses are you getting a 20 in DEX? In the name of the stat points that you actually need, I demand you to use a stat array of 16, 16, 12, 12, 10, 8 before racial modifiers. 18 Dex/Wis, 12 Con, 10 Str, and whatever else.

As for feats, pick up Weapon Prof (Superior Crossbow). They're awesome.

Isomenes
2008-11-08, 05:17 PM
Hide Spec. is rather worth it for a Dex-based build, IMO, and the powers that benefit from a Wis bonus aren't going to suffer overmuch from one less point along the line--it's gravy anyway.

HOVA
2008-11-08, 05:24 PM
STAT RAGE.

Why the blue seventy jesuses are you getting a 20 in DEX? In the name of the stat points that you actually need, I demand you to use a stat array of 16, 16, 12, 12, 10, 8 before racial modifiers. 18 Dex/Wis, 12 Con, 10 Str, and whatever else.

As for feats, pick up Weapon Prof (Superior Crossbow). They're awesome.

Thank you for such relevant advice.

This character is based off of my very first D&D character (also an elven archer ranger). That character and the one I'm making now are supposed to be the best archers in a long line of skilled marksmen. It's a concept thing... hence the 20 Dex. I understand why you posted what you did, but it doesn't help me decide between the two stat arrays I presented.

Also, for this concept, I will be using a longbow or greatbow not a crossbow. Not saying the superior crossbow is mechanically better, but it doesn't fit the flavor I want.

Anyone else?

KKL
2008-11-08, 05:25 PM
Hide Spec. is rather worth it for a Dex-based build, IMO, and the powers that benefit from a Wis bonus aren't going to suffer overmuch from one less point along the line--it's gravy anyway.

Eh, on second thought I do agree with this. A 16 in Wis won't kill you. Unless you really want to MC into Cleric.

Thank you for such relevant advice.

This character is based off of my very first D&D character (also an elven archer ranger). That character and the one I'm making now are supposed to be the best archers in a long line of skilled marksmen. It's a concept thing... hence the 20 Dex. I understand why you posted what you did, but it doesn't help me decide between the two stat arrays I presented.

Also, for this concept, I will be using a longbow or greatbow not a crossbow. Not saying the superior crossbow is mechanically better, but it doesn't fit the flavor I want.

Anyone else?

You should have specified.

Take the second array.

HOVA
2008-11-08, 05:25 PM

So, you'd suggest the Option 2 array?

HOVA
2008-11-08, 05:28 PM
You should have specified.

Take the second array.

Thank you.

Isomenes
2008-11-08, 05:49 PM
So, you'd suggest the Option 2 array?

That's a fair inference, given that I lauded Hide Spec. and downplayed the impact of one less point added to Wis. :smallamused: That said, if you're really playing up the "eyes in the back of one's head" type of ranger, a +3 Wis mod. gets you a 20 passive perception at first level. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

HOVA
2008-11-08, 06:42 PM
That's a fair inference, given that I lauded Hide Spec. and downplayed the impact of one less point added to Wis. :smallamused: That said, if you're really playing up the "eyes in the back of one's head" type of ranger, a +3 Wis mod. gets you a 20 passive perception at first level. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

At the same time, I'll have the +3 Wis mod @ 4th level. So, it's somewhat of a wash. I think I'll go for Option 2 because it's a little more balanced between Con and Wis. Dead rangers are no fun! :smallwink:

Saintjebus
2008-11-08, 07:50 PM
I absolutely agree with Isomenes. The 1 point of wis will be made up in 3 levels, and that extra 2 hp, and 1 to Fort Defense can save your life sometimes. Plus, at 4th level, you not only get that point of wis, but your hp go up by a point again(if you put your second point there).

HOVA
2008-11-08, 10:34 PM
I absolutely agree with Isomenes. The 1 point of wis will be made up in 3 levels, and that extra 2 hp, and 1 to Fort Defense can save your life sometimes. Plus, at 4th level, you not only get that point of wis, but your hp go up by a point again(if you put your second point there).

From my understanding, raising your Con score after 1st level doesn't bump you HP like it did in 3.5... your HP/level is set by your class (5 per level for a ranger) and can't be raised after 1st level, as far as I know.

Starsinger
2008-11-08, 11:31 PM
From my understanding, raising your Con score after 1st level doesn't bump you HP like it did in 3.5... your HP/level is set by your class (5 per level for a ranger) and can't be raised after 1st level, as far as I know.

Sure it does your HP is equal to your Con Score + your class bonuses. So increasing your con score by one gives you a whopping 1 hp.

Saintjebus
2008-11-09, 01:59 AM
Sure it does your HP is equal to your Con Score + your class bonuses. So increasing your con score by one gives you a whopping 1 hp.

And gives one more to your Fort Defense- which is rarely a bad thing.

Starsinger
2008-11-09, 02:11 AM
And gives one more to your Fort Defense- which is rarely a bad thing.

Only if it becomes an even number.

Saintjebus
2008-11-09, 10:25 AM
Only if it becomes an even number.

Which, in this case, it does. 13 to 14.