PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Special Mount (3.5)

Doberler
2008-11-08, 07:19 PM
I'm contemplating playing a paladin with a giant eagle mount. Looking at the SRD, it has the same amount of HD as the heavy warhorse, but has a +2 LA.

So I ask, were you (as DMs) to allow me to take this, would you nix the first two bonus HD? How would you mitigate it?

Saintjebus
2008-11-08, 07:36 PM
First of all, let me just say that I haven't looked at the 3.5 giant eagle in a while, so I may be remembering it wrong. However, I would say that the LA for the giant eagle is due in a large part to the ability to fly. I would probably not allow it as a mount until at least 6th level, and probably not until 7th or 8th. And yes, I would then lose the first 2 bonus hd.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-08, 07:41 PM
I'm contemplating playing a paladin with a giant eagle mount. Looking at the SRD, it has the same amount of HD as the heavy warhorse, but has a +2 LA.

So I ask, were you (as DMs) to allow me to take this, would you nix the first two bonus HD? How would you mitigate it?

Page 205 of the DMG: You can choose one when you are earliest: 7th level.

Thurbane
2008-11-08, 07:42 PM
You know, I thought the OP had posted thrice...avatars...:smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2008-11-08, 07:47 PM
You know, I thought the OP had posted thrice...avatars...:smallbiggrin:

HA! They've got nothing on Clone Week! :smalltongue: (Which was, incidentally, its initial purpose...)

Saintjebus
2008-11-08, 07:57 PM
Page 205 of the DMG: You can choose one when you are earliest: 7th level.

Ah yes. Forgot about that. Which means that I probably would not end up nixing the hd, because they(onstensibly) balanced that with the slower progression.

Copacetic
2008-11-08, 09:06 PM
HA! They've got nothing on Clone Week! :smalltongue: (Which was, incidentally, its initial purpose...)

..Which is why I automatically look at someone's username whenever a see a clone-atar.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-08, 09:10 PM
Giant Eagles/Owls are excellent mounts. Remember you double your damage for a diving charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly)--triple if it's a diving lance charge, quadruple if it's a diving lance charge with Spirited Charge.