PDA

View Full Version : How would you make/convert a Modron figure?

newbDM
2008-11-09, 04:34 AM
http://fc92.deviantart.com/fs14/f/2007/085/d/6/March_of_the_Modrons_by_jdillon82.jpg

How would you make a Modron figure?

As a huge fan of these little guys, I suddenly got the "need" (as I like to call it) to make a Modron (preferably Rogue Modron) figure to represent one I am planning as a Meowth-like sidekick/companion for a Jesse and James like demoness and angel/celestial sister duo. Plus, these guys are just so awesome and cute that I want one I can hold and put on my counter!

I know how to pinvice, I have old pieces of plasticard and plasticar rods from my old days as a Games Workshops player (bad memories of losing two years coming back...), I have some very basic experience with "green stuff", and some old leftover bits from both Fantasy and 40K.

Or, were any official figures ever made? Even some not-so-official figures? Would be much preferred.

RTGoodman
2008-11-09, 03:39 PM
Well, if you're gaming, surely you've got some spare dice or can pick up a bunch for cheap somewhere. Modrons are, for all intents and purposes, mostly just geometric shapes, right? Grab a handful of d6s, some d4s, and heck, maybe even d12s or d20s, use the mini-modding stuff you've got left over, and paint 'em up.

Inyssius Tor
2008-11-09, 05:14 PM
Well, if you're gaming, surely you've got some spare dice or can pick up a bunch for cheap somewhere. Modrons are, for all intents and purposes, mostly just geometric shapes, right? Grab a handful of d6s, some d4s, and heck, maybe even d12s or d20s, use the mini-modding stuff you've got left over, and paint 'em up.

... you didn't click the spoiler in the OP, did you?

Might want to go do that, then.

Leewei
2008-11-09, 09:08 PM
If you can find a splendid game called Robo Rally, it comes with a number of figurines that you'd no doubt find suitable.

RTGoodman
2008-11-09, 09:29 PM
... you didn't click the spoiler in the OP, did you?

Might want to go do that, then.

Yeah, I did. There's at least two or three there that could easily be made from d6s (and one that's just an upside-down d4) along with add-ons (especially if you've got Green Stuff and some old Warhammer bits laying around). The starfish-lookin' one is a bit harder, but the ball-shaped ones could be much easier (grab a ball-bearing, ball of putty, or something else and some paint, then add on arms and legs).

EDIT: Pip-less and/or number-less dice are probably a better choice, and (surprisingly) aren't that hard to find. Check out Chessex or some of the other major companies and they should have some.

If you can find a splendid game called Robo Rally, it comes with a number of figurines that you'd no doubt find suitable.

That works too, but it seems REALLY expensive (looking at the prices of the game on eBay, at least).

newbDM
2008-11-23, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the help so far guys.

I have been working on this first figure during my spare time since making this thread, so I thought I would post my progress in case anyone wanted to see it.

Plus, advice and critiques are always helpful!

So far you've been a great help with this, so thanks. :smallsmile:

This one was meant to be my Meowth-like character, but since I was forced to cancel my campaign I am not sure when (or if) I will be able to get back to the plot of these three characters. At the very least, I can make molds of it molds of it for when they visit modron, or use it as a rogue modron as a character.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/08312d16.png
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/2b92c8aa.png

Do any of you know some bits which would work for the wings? I am having a real hard time finding any.

Ealstan
2008-11-23, 12:01 PM
Do any of you know some bits which would work for the wings? I am having a real hard time finding any.

I'm real cheap, so I've always used pipe cleaners. Which may not work given the tiny size of the wings

charl
2008-11-23, 12:38 PM
That looks good. You need to fill out the number dots with greenstuff or something though, and add a pair of legs. As for the wings, maybe you've got a pair over in your fantasy stuff? Otherwise, IIRC there are lots of winged characters in WHFB that's fairly cheap.

AslanCross
2008-11-23, 04:21 PM
Wow, that's pretty awesome. Modeling paint might be able to hide the fact that it was originally a die.