PDA

View Full Version : Evard's Black Tentacles

BWM
2008-11-09, 01:27 PM
So, what's up with Evard's Black Tentacles, does the spell actually kill off anything that gets within reach (and isn't a fighter or anything).

I've seen so many Casters and Rogues get killed by it, it's not funny...

Starbuck_II
2008-11-09, 01:34 PM
So, what's up with Evard's Black Tentacles, does the spell actually kill off anything that gets within reach (and isn't a fighter or anything).

I've seen so many Casters and Rogues get killed by it, it's not funny...

Are you asking if it is good? Yes.

Note, if you escape the initial grapple (1st one): by RAW they don't attack you again. They only continue if they hit you before.

However, they will try to grapple you again if you reenter the area.

Not many players or DM read the spell closely enough to realize this.

Once the tentacles grapple an opponent, they may make a grapple check each round on your turn to deal 1d6+4 points of bludgeoning damage. The tentacles continue to crush the opponent until the spell ends or the opponent escapes.

If you escape the grapple; it stops attacking.

Still is a good area control spell as it slows movement inside.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-09, 01:37 PM
Someone should research V's version.:smallamused:
Or does it exist in some supplement or the other already?

jcsw
2008-11-09, 02:02 PM
Given the number of Oots fans and the number of homebrewers and how much those two overlap, I wouldn't be surprised

GrandMasterMe
2008-11-09, 02:58 PM
Amazng spell if you have a demented dm, she once had a princess who was obsessed with anything strange or unusual in the bedroom, needless to say evard definatly helped us out in that situation

*note had we not been able to "satisfy" her the king, who already hated us, would have beheaded us*

Kurald Galain
2008-11-09, 03:00 PM
However, they will try to grapple you again if you reenter the area.

Not many players or DM read the spell closely enough to realize this.
Alternatively, many DMs may realize that this does not make sense and probably isn't RAI anyway, so rule differently.

Heliomance
2008-11-09, 03:05 PM
Amazng spell if you have a demented dm, she once had a princess who was obsessed with anything strange or unusual in the bedroom, needless to say evard definatly helped us out in that situation

*note had we not been able to "satisfy" her the king, who already hated us, would have beheaded us*

You "satisfied" the princess. With Evard's Black Tentacles. Am I the only one that sounds horribly horribly wrong to?

Dhavaer
2008-11-09, 03:21 PM
You "satisfied" the princess. With Evard's Black Tentacles. Am I the only one that sounds horribly horribly wrong to?

It sounds oh so right to me. :smallwink:

monty
2008-11-09, 03:33 PM

Squick :smalleek:

Zeta Kai
2008-11-09, 04:36 PM
Someone should research V's version.:smallamused:
Or does it exist in some supplement or the other already?

Surprisingly, my search for such a thing on the Homebrew Forum turned up nothing. I did find a monster with similar abilities, however.

AslanCross
2008-11-09, 04:39 PM
Alternatively, many DMs may realize that this does not make sense and probably isn't RAI anyway, so rule differently.

It is incredibly powerful when ruled this way, though. Even fighter-type monsters can't break out easily unless they're at least large-sized. (I do rule it works this way, however.)

Last session the wizard cast it in the middle of a town square after a strike team from one of the MBEGs came to raid the village. The two ogres got out, but all 3 hobgoblins (all high-BAB classes) never got out. All of them were CR 5, the Wizard was Lv 10.

Some of my players were making side comments about the female party members "accidentally" getting caught in it, especially after watching episode 1 of Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk. <_<

Heliomance
2008-11-09, 04:42 PM
You do know there's a line missing from that spell, of course.

Evard's Black Tentacles gains an addition +20 modifier on grapple checks against targets with the Schoolgirl (Japanese) subtype.

monty
2008-11-09, 04:51 PM
Catfolk, too.

Paul H
2008-11-09, 04:58 PM
Hi

I've got a Warmage/Cleric/Mystic Theurge, he normally opens with Evard's (+20 Grapple). Tried it against a couple of Chuul, once. Didn't do much against them, but did for their support.

As an aside, his Cohort is a Beguiler, who opens up with Legion fo Sentinels. (Another lock-down spell).

Cheers
Paul H

Lert, A.
2008-11-09, 05:25 PM

Yes. I think you are.

SurlySeraph
2008-11-09, 05:30 PM
Yes. I think you are.

No, he isn't. But I'm not supposed to let anyone realize I'm here. If I wait long enough, all of them will probably gather into a small enough area that I can use Flame Strike to purify the whole tentacle-loving lot of them. FOR THE GLORY OF PELOR!!!
<.<
>.>
Maybe I shouldn't have said that so loudly.

@V: By the power of faith, I am made immune to science! It's ever so helpful when using area-of-effect physics attacks against catgirls.

streakster
2008-11-09, 05:35 PM
If I wait long enough, all of them will probably gather into a small enough area

I smite thee by the power of BROWNIAN MOTION!!!

Tehnar
2008-11-10, 08:32 AM
How do you deal with the M component? A peice of a giant squid (CR 9) or giant octopus (CR 8) IMO should not be avaiable via spell component pouch.

I make it avaiable with a DC 20 gather info, at a coastal small town or larger residience and it costs 50gp.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-10, 10:25 AM
How do you deal with the M component? A peice of a giant squid (CR 9) or giant octopus (CR 8) IMO should not be avaiable via spell component pouch.

I make it avaiable with a DC 20 gather info, at a coastal small town or larger residience and it costs 50gp.

And yet, according to the PHB, it is free with a spell component pouch as it doesn't list a cost.

This is why those who own Spell component pouches never go hungry: Butter (grease) and Squid= yummy!
Dessert: Tasha's Hideous Laughter has a pie!

valadil
2008-11-10, 10:48 AM

We've refered to Evard's Black Tentacles as "Hentai Tentacles" for years, although I don't think we ever roleplayed it that way.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-11-10, 11:25 AM
Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Evocation [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

You conjure up a writhing mass of spiked, pink tentacles that envelop a creature. The tentacles do naughty things to the creature. Really, you don't want to know. If you really want to know, certain other parts of the Internet can help you.

The creature may make a Reflex save to avoid the tentacles. If it succeeds on the save, the spell has no effect. If it fails on the Reflex save, it must immediatly make a Fortitude save. If it fails, it dies in a very, very nasty way. Even if it succeeds, the creature instead takes 10d6 points of damage +1 per caster level, and is paralyzed for 3d4 rounds.

If the creature fails it's save, all enemies that see the effect of the spell must make a Will save, or be sickened for 1d6 rounds.

---

EDIT: How's that?

GrandMasterMe
2008-11-10, 01:23 PM
LOL Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion talked to our dm, definatly added to the spell list, though you might want to consider changing the spell level because of its crazy power, we made it a 9th level spell, but definatly amazing:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

obvious pun
2008-11-10, 01:27 PM
Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Evocation [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

You conjure up a writhing mass of spiked, pink tentacles that envelop a creature. The tentacles do naughty things to the creature. Really, you don't want to know. If you really want to know, certain other parts of the Internet can help you.

The creature may make a Reflex save to avoid the tentacles. If it succeeds on the save, the spell has no effect. If it fails on the Reflex save, it must immediatly make a Fortitude save. If it fails, it dies in a very, very nasty way. Even if it succeeds, the creature instead takes 5d6 points of damage +1 per caster level, and is paralyzed for 2d4 rounds.

If the creature fails it's save, all creatures that see the effect of the spell must make a Will save, or be sickened for 1d6 rounds.

How's that?

Only one creature, requires 2 saves for death, sickening which would affect your allies, all for a level 6 spell? I think I'll stick with pink tentacles.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-11-10, 03:10 PM
Only one creature, requires 2 saves for death, sickening which would affect your allies, all for a level 6 spell? I think I'll stick with pink tentacles.

Hm...

Maybe I'll change it so it deals half damage on a failed save, no paralyzed effect, and up the 5d6 to 10d6.

EDIT: And it's either death or suck. Even if they save, they still take some damage, and they're paralyzed for a while, leaving them useless.

Vinotaur
2008-11-10, 04:08 PM

To be fair, if the fail the reflex save and make the next one they are still paralyzed for 2d4 rounds, so as long as they aren't a dragon you can just kill them. Unless of course they have mettle.

Job
2008-11-10, 04:18 PM
I prefer Entangle myself; it's less sexy, but more environmentally friendly.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-10, 04:33 PM
I prefer Entangle myself; it's less sexy, but more environmentally friendly.
So, what your saying, while typing on your PC, is that Entangle is more PC, for PC PC's?:smallbiggrin:

Arbitrarity
2008-11-10, 04:33 PM
To be fair, if the fail the reflex save and make the next one they are still paralyzed for 2d4 rounds, so as long as they aren't a dragon you can just kill them. Unless of course they have mettle.

It's a reflex save or die, which are rather rare. It also disallows SR. It's a bit better than Flesh To Stone or similar, so I'd go with level 7. But 6 isn't too much of a stretch, what with codex creep.